Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,552 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. (2014 Views)

Airport Officials Collecting Money In Place Of COVID-19 Test - Sahara Reporters / Jamil Abubakar To Pay Flight Ticket For 5 People That Have Never Been On Plane / People Queue To Buy Train Ticket In Nigeria (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by Ashleyadams(f): 3:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
Hi guys,

I'll be traveling to an African country on a tourist/visit visa.
Usually, airlines and immigration require a return ticket for visitors/tourists to make sure that you'll be leaving their country after your stay.

However, I have no intention of returning (I'll secure a resident permit) so I plan to book a 'Dummy Ticket' in place of a Return ticket in order to reduce my travel cost.

Has anyone tried this before? I'd like to know your experience/thoughts. Thanks!
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:38pm On Apr 20, 2022
very easy to do....lets say you are going to Congo for example: you buy a one way ticket from Nigeria to Congo, and then on the day of departure, you buy a fully refundable onward ticket from Congo to Zambia or Uganda... and as soon as you arrive in Congo and pass the Congolese immigration, cancel the ticket and get a full refund.... et voila!

most websites will give you a 24hr free cancelation policy on any ticket you buy, its the law (if in doubt just use Expedia)!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by Ashleyadams(f): 4:01pm On Apr 20, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
very easy to do....lets say you are going to Congo for example: you buy a one way ticket from Nigeria to Congo, and then on the day of departure, you buy a fully refundable onward ticket from Congo to Zambia or Uganda... and as soon as you arrive in Congo and pass the Congolese immigration, cancel the ticket and get a full refund.... et voila!

most websites will give you a 24hr free cancelation policy on any ticket you buy, its the law (if in doubt just use Expedia)!

Thanks for the info.

I was actually thinking of using a service such as onwardticket. They book and reserves the flight without making payment. They charge $15. The ticket will be valid when checked by an airline or immigration.

But I think I might use Expedia since it's more solid and reliable.
Would this 'full refund method' work for Kenya Airways or Ethiopian airways?. They are the two airlines going to my destination.
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:10pm On Apr 20, 2022
Ashleyadams:

Thanks for the info.
I was actually thinking of using a service such as onwardticket. They book and reserves the flight without making payment. They charge $15. The ticket will be valid when checked by an airline or immigration.

But I think I might use Expedia since it's more solid and reliable.
Would this 'full refund method' work for Kenya Airways or Ethiopian airways?. They are the two airlines going to my destination.

now many agencies know about onwardtickets and as they dont actually buy a ticket, a simple check can confirm that you dont have an actual ticket but only a reservation. a reservation is not a ticket thus some may deny you entry. on the other hand, if you buy a ticket with Expedia, thats a ticket. also, you could buy a train ticket too or even a bus ticket to leave the country. so long as you have an onward ticket, its all good (it doesnt have to be a plane ticket).
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by Ashleyadams(f): 6:25pm On Apr 20, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

now many agencies know about onwardtickets and as they dont actually buy a ticket, a simple check can confirm that you dont have an actual ticket but only a reservation. a reservation is not a ticket thus some may deny you entry. on the other hand, if you buy a ticket with Expedia, thats a ticket. also, you could buy a train ticket too or even a bus ticket to leave the country. so long as you have an onward ticket, its all good (it doesnt have to be a plane ticket).

You're right. I checked and couldn't find any train or bus service with an online system.
Thanks.
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:53pm On Apr 20, 2022
Ashleyadams:
You're right. I checked and couldn't find any train or bus service with an online system.
Thanks.

yeah online bus/train ticket are a bit difficult to get in Africa, compared to the rest of the world. good luck on your life move/relocation!
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by Ashleyadams(f): 8:37pm On Apr 20, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

yeah online bus/train ticket are a bit difficult to get in Africa, compared to the rest of the world. good luck on your life move/relocation!
Yeah.... Thanks smiley
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by fwallex4truth: 12:24pm On Apr 21, 2022
Ashleyadams:
Hi guys,

Usually, airlines and immigration require a return ticket for visitors/tourists to make sure that you'll be leaving their country after your stay.

However, I have no intention of returning (I'll secure a resident permit) so I plan to book a 'Dummy Ticket' in place of a Return ticket in order to reduce my travel cost.

Has anyone tried this before? I'd like to know your experience/thoughts. Thanks!

Please I'm actually travelling too soon on visit, and I don't intend to return. How do I do with my return ticket please?
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by Ashleyadams(f): 12:57pm On Apr 21, 2022
fwallex4truth:

Please I'm actually travelling too soon on visit, and I don't intend to return. How do I do with my return ticket please?
Hi, I don't understand your question. Could you rephrase your question?
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by ednut1(m): 2:02pm On Apr 21, 2022
Ashleyadams:

all this for Zimbabwe Is Nigeria no better than that country Nawa
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by fwallex4truth: 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2022
Ashleyadams:

I mean I will be traveling on tourist/visit visa soon, and I don't want to buy return ticket because I don't have the intention of returning. Kindly guide me on how to go about it.
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by Ashleyadams(f): 4:59pm On Apr 21, 2022
fwallex4truth:

I mean I will be traveling on tourist/visit visa soon, and I don't want to buy return ticket because I don't have the intention of returning. Kindly guide me on how to go about it.
Ok. That is exactly why I created this thread.

The best solution is to book a one way ticket for going. Then book a return ticket a few hours before your departure using Expedia and cancel the return ticket after you arrive your destination.
Expedia offers a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours.
Note: Expedia is more expensive than booking directly on the airline website, but it guarantees you a refund.

Understood?
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by Ashleyadams(f): 5:02pm On Apr 21, 2022
ednut1:
all this for Zimbabwe Is Nigeria no better than that country Nawa
I intend using it as a transit to another country.
But, besides the the inflation and economic crisis, zimbabwe has better infrastructure and is far safer than Nigeria. I know because I lived around Southern Africa for years.

1 Like

Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by fwallex4truth: 6:07pm On Apr 21, 2022
Ashleyadams:

The best solution is to book a one way ticket for going. Then book a return ticket a few hours before your departure using Expedia and cancel the return ticket after you arrive your destination.
Note: Expedia is more expensive than booking directly on the airline website, but it guarantees you a refund.
Understood?

Thank you a lot

1 Like

Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by pseudonomer: 6:57am On Apr 22, 2022
Ashleyadams:

I intend using it as a transit to another country.
But, besides the the inflation and economic crisis, zimbabwe has better infrastructure and is far safer than Nigeria. I know because I lived around Southern Africa for years.

People in Zimbabwe are suffering, I know lots of people from there.
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by sharone21(f): 5:36am On May 02, 2022
Ashleyadams:

Understood?

Hi.
Please, are we booking a one way ticket with same Expedia and cancel then book a 2 way ticket hrs before leaving? How many hrs precisely?

Booking hotels with Expedia is it valid enough?

Is Expedia okay to book connecting flights and do they have DEDICATED customer care especially for first time 'flyers'?
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by sharone21(f): 5:42am On May 02, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

Hi.
Re: Help: Using A 'dummy Ticket' In Place Of A Return Flight Ticket. by Peacefulplace: 6:02am On Mar 18
Ashleyadams:
Hi guys,

However, I have no intention of returning (I'll secure a resident permit) so I plan to book a
'Dummy Ticket' in place of a Return ticket in order to reduce my travel cost.

Hi I know this thread is old, but how did it go? Did they ask for proof? I cannot afford a ticket home as it is $5000 from Australia and I am intending to live there. My trip takes two days total, so over the refund limit for Expedia. I need help!

(1) (Reply)

Why Shopping Moved From Dubai To Turkey / "Being A Female Nigerian Pilot" / Newcastle Universities Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.