Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,770 members, 7,866,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 09:54 AM

Maiduguri: Motor Bikes Now Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maiduguri: Motor Bikes Now Haram (563 Views)

Civilian JTF Arrests Four Terror Suspects At Maiduguri Motor Park / Trailer Full Of Motor Bikes Hijacked By Katsina Indigenes (With Pictures) / Motor Bikes (okada) Policy In Lagos-fashola Did Not Lift Ban On Highways (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maiduguri: Motor Bikes Now Haram by chakula: 7:52am On Jul 08, 2011
Yesterday, the state government indefinitely outlawed private and commercial motorcycle operations in Maiduguri and the adjoining Jere Local Government Area, where most of the violence took place.

On their part, commercial motorcycle operators said the ban will subject them to hardship and will also create unemployment.

“Thousands of youths relied on the motorcycles for survival. Personally I don’t know how I can feed my family tomorrow if I didn’t go out with my motorcycle,” Lassha Nasiru, one of the bikers, said.

“Unless adequate measures are taken, the ban on motorcycles will breed joblessness and criminality,” Mrs Jummai Samuel, a sociologist at the University of Maiduguri, observed.

“Government must make sure that the okada riders get alternative source of livelihood so that their indolence will not create more problem for the society,” she said.

Major streets became virtually empty shortly after 2pm while hundreds of commuters were seen at various bus stops waiting for taxis and buses. Markets were closed around 4.30pm yesterday as people rushed back home

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22706:maiduguri-motor-bikes-now-haram&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: Maiduguri: Motor Bikes Now Haram by dustydee: 8:14am On Jul 08, 2011
a little late. I will like to see a total ban for the time being.
Re: Maiduguri: Motor Bikes Now Haram by edoyad(m): 9:12am On Jul 08, 2011
borno should be ceded to chad republic, that's the best possible solution to this problem.
Re: Maiduguri: Motor Bikes Now Haram by jamace(m): 9:51am On Jul 08, 2011
tell me one thing sweeter than freedom
grin grin. There is nothing sweeter than freedom.

Boko Haram has murdered the freedom of Bornu and other northern states and things have fallen apart. cheesy.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Again ! / Medical Student Arrested For Robbery / Action Governor Listens To Igbodefender.com- Inaugurates Palm Oil Revolution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.