Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Obasanjo: Why Soldiers Can’t Tackle Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: Why Soldiers Can’t Tackle Boko Haram (996 Views)

This Photo Of Soldiers Training Will Tell You Why Soldiers Are Mean / Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad / US To Send Soldiers To Tackle Boko-Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: Why Soldiers Can’t Tackle Boko Haram by chakula: 9:04am On Jul 08, 2011
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has warned that the deployment of military is not the solution to the Boko Haram upsurge in parts of the North. He canvassed what he called “deep” intelligence on the group.

Obasanjo, who was speaking in Abeokuta, said the type of training the military offers should be kept in perspective.

“Asking the military to deal with them (Boko Haram), we need to know that the military are trained in a static way. The group should be known and identifiable when they are captured. In this way, the military would know how to deal them,”he said.

Advancing more argument to buttress his point, the former president said: “But when a man is on okada with a gun and kill people along the road, how do you deal with such person? We have to find out why they became so bloody. There is so much to know and so much to find out before you can deal with them."

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/obasanjo-why-soldiers-can-t-tackle-boko-haram/94660/
Re: Obasanjo: Why Soldiers Can’t Tackle Boko Haram by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 08, 2011
Infiltration!!

Intelligence officers have to infiltrate the group, know how they communicate, know their camps and then leak their infos intelligently,

But if we kill all the boko haramists, we still risk the rise of another group or same group because we are battling ideologies here,

From their name alone, we should know this is war against ideoology and the best way to win is brain washing (Education)!!
Re: Obasanjo: Why Soldiers Can’t Tackle Boko Haram by jamace(m): 9:32am On Jul 08, 2011
With due respect, I don't think he has said anything new. All he said here are already on-going. Military warfare is a broad range of tactics including static and mobile techniques, both backed with efficient intelligence gathering. I am sure the military is applying them.
Re: Obasanjo: Why Soldiers Can’t Tackle Boko Haram by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 08, 2011
How did they deal with the Maitatsine in the 80's ? These our security agencies sef too dey forget things.
Re: Obasanjo: Why Soldiers Can’t Tackle Boko Haram by egift(m): 3:20pm On Jul 08, 2011
~Bluetooth:

How did they deal with the Maitatsine in the 80's ? These our security agencies sef too dey forget things.

Within few months they became nuisance, Buhari fix that, and Nigerians were never bothered again for decades. So sad he is not here to fix MEND, BOKO, OPC, MASSOP, etc.

(1) (Reply)

Intercom Pabx System, Cctv Cameras, Video Door Phone Installation / Traffic Experience On Lagos-abeokuta Expressway / I Will Slap Again!” Bishop Oyedepo Brags In First Public Response To Internet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.