Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician (453 Views)

2023: Don’t Die Because Of Any Politician – Makinde Warns Nigerians / Oshiomhole Rejects Christmas Gifts From Obaseki / Ekiti Election: Voters Receive Cash, Gifts From Politicians - The Nation (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by bammo: 12:15am On Apr 22, 2022
This thread is created in response to the this other thread https://www.nairaland.com/7089749/peter-obi-collect-politicians-money where Peter Obi adviced Nigerians to collect money from other politicians and still vote for a credible candidate in the forth-coming election. I understand why he may have made such statement. Therefore, this thread is not meant to discredit him but to explain the implications on the future of Nigeria.

HERE ARE "FIVE REASONS YOU SHOULDN'T ACCEPT MONEY FROM POLITICIANS" WHETHER OR NOT YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR THEM.

1. How are you so sure it's your money you are getting back: Even though we've always been told that we should accept whatever politicians gift us during campaign that afterall it's ours. Well, this might not be true in all cases since other rich men and criminals also sponsor politicians too. so, you can't be too sure about the real source of the money.

2. The wrong candidate becomes the most popular: When you gather amongst others to collect money from a politician " even though you might not have the intention of voting or campaigning for him/her," your presence and that of others like you sends a message to many indifferent or oblivious people watching the crowd that this candidate might actually be loved by everyone (including you) and this can cause them to vote for and even campaign for such candidate.

3. You loose your integrity: When others see you collecting money from a bad candidate, you no longer have the moral ground to advice them against campaigning or voting for such candidate because that would have made you look bad in their eyes.

4. You don't give the poor a chance of getting elected: When the focus of a whole community is shifted on the one that has some change to spread around, who would have time to notice the humble guy with an unquestionable character who truly understands the plight of his people and has good intentions for them.

5. What if the candidate you took money/gifts from finally wins even though you didn't elect him: Here is what would happen, his next move would be to pay back those that sponsored his campaign in anyway possible. He would either pay his debt through embezzlement of taxpayers' money or by putting them (the sponsors) in big offices where they can just steal the money themselves (either way, it's a big loose for you).

All i'm saying is, you can never get good governance by supporting currupt act, you can't eat your cake and have it.. We can only see true change when we make the conscious effort to be true to ourselves. lets change our mentality and begin to make sacrifices for our future.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by Babaken(m): 12:44am On Apr 22, 2022
IF them give you money my people collect am and vote your CHOICE after all is the money they steal they are giving back .

Real candidate that know what he can offer don't give bribe.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by realstars: 2:23am On Apr 22, 2022
Guy if at all they give, collect the money but do your wish, That is the way to treat looters of their type.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 2:50am On Apr 22, 2022
Better to collect the money and not vote them.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by obinnajohnson: 3:08am On Apr 22, 2022
I don't support vote buying but the money they share is from our national cake. Collect the money and vote for the candidate of your choice.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by logicalman: 6:27am On Apr 22, 2022
bammo:
This thread is created in response to the this other thread https://www.nairaland.com/7089749/peter-obi-collect-politicians-money where Peter Obi adviced Nigerians to collect money from other politicians and still vote for a credible candidate in the forth-coming election. I understand why he may have made such statement. Therefore, this thread is not meant to discredit him but to explain the implications on the future of Nigeria.

HERE ARE "FIVE REASONS YOU SHOULDN'T ACCEPT MONEY FROM POLITICIANS" WHETHER OR NOT YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR THEM.

1. How are you sure it's your money you are getting back: Even though we've always been told that we should accept whatever politicians gift us during campaign that afterall it's ours. well, this might not be entirely true since other rich men and criminals also sponsor politicians in many cases. so, you can't be too sure about the real source of the money.

2. The wrong candidate becomes the most popular: When you gather amongst others to collect money from a politician " even though you might not have the intention of voting or campaigning for him/her," your presence and that of others like you sends a message to many indifferent or oblivious people watching the crowd that this candidate might actually be loved by everyone (including you) and this can cause them to vote for and even campaign for such person.

3. You compromise your integrity: When others see you collecting money from a bad candidate, you no longer have the moral ground to advice them against campaigning or voting for such candidate because that would have made you look bad in their eyes.

4. You don't give the poor a chance: When the focus of a whole community is shifted on the one that has some change to spread out, who would have time to notice the humble guy with an unquestionable character who truly understands the plight of his people and has good intentions for them.

5. What if the candidate you took money/gifts from finally wins even though you didn't elect him: Here is what would happen, his next move would be to pay back those that supported his campaign in anyway possible. He would either pay his debt through embezzlement of taxpayers' money or by putting them (the sponsors) in big offices where they can just steal the money themselves (either way, you'd realize that what you took is not worth the suffering).

All i'm saying is, you can never get good governance by supporting currupt act.. We can only see true change when we make the conscious effort to be true to ourselves. lets change our mentality and lets begin to make sacrifices for our future.

Nigerians are hungry ,this your article no work. Please if they give you our stolen money take but go by conscience.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by edogu(m): 6:53am On Apr 22, 2022
With the high rate of poverty and unemployment everywhere that to me will be very difficult.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by bammo: 7:28am On Apr 22, 2022
edogu:
With the high rate of poverty and unemployment everywhere that to me will be very difficult.
Maybe, but there is a chance that our lives will be better if only we can reject that little token. Why don't Nigerians focus on those candidates that might feel they owe us instead of those crooks that see their political offices as return on their investments.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by edogu(m): 7:38am On Apr 22, 2022
If you are very hungry ( to the point of death), would you go for food or motivational talk? In ideal society what you said should be the ideal thing but Nigeria is not an ideal society the last I checked.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by bammo: 9:08am On Apr 23, 2022
Babaken:
IF them give you money my people collect am and vote your CHOICE after all is the money they steal they are giving back .

Real candidate that know what he can offer don't give bribe.
And there will never be a real candidate when all it takes to campaign is money.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by bammo: 9:13am On Apr 23, 2022
edogu:
If you are very hungry ( to the point of death), would you go for food or motivational talk? In ideal society what you said should be the ideal thing but Nigeria is not an ideal society the last I checked.
No one is hungry "to the point of death," we just need to stop thinking with our stomachs for a minute..
They'll give you money that can barely last you a week and then proceed to increase your suffering for years.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by edogu(m): 9:21am On Apr 23, 2022
bammo:

No one is hungry "to the point of death," we just need to stop thinking with our stomachs for a minute..
They'll give you money that can barely last you a week and then proceed to increase your suffering for years.
Like I pointed earlier, it is possible in an ideal society. What you pointed out can only be possible for the informed mind.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by bammo: 9:34am On Apr 23, 2022
edogu:

Like I pointed earlier, it is possible in an ideal society. What you pointed out can only be possible for the informed mind.
Why cant we put in effort to become an ideal society, isn't that what we desire most?
What we have faced these past years should be a wake up call to all but we would rather turn a blind eye to our own faults and expect God to do some sort of miracle for nothing.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Collect Money/Gifts From Any Politician by BillionKnights: 12:57pm On Apr 23, 2022
obinnajohnson:
I don't support vote buying but the money they share is from our national cake. Collect the money and vote for the candidate of your choice.
How are you not supporting vote buying smiley

(1) (Reply)

Who Else Remember "Jigi Bola" / 2023: Ondo Agog As Moyinolorun Declares Mha Ambition / Nigerian Leaders Worked For UK, US – Fani-kayode Lists ‘secrets’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.