Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,273 members, 7,829,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines (1368 Views)

Atheists and Traditionalists Come In. / Traditionalists Demand Public Holidays, Board, Political Appointments / Oro Traditionalists Perform Pastor Ajanaku 's Burial Rites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 08, 2011
Nigerian Christian and muslims both claim Nigeria is a secular country. Hence the freedom to enjoy what the others gets.
Since nigeria is a secular entity, it's only fair that all the recognised religious institutions as recognised by the nigerian constitution must be duly carried along.
This must be such that everybody can practice his religious belief with liberty and freedom.

If so, the following must be reflected:

- A govt. sponsored National Shrine (equiv. of National mosque & cathedral)
- 5-days public holiday annually as due unto xtians & moslem
- Free state sponsorship pilgrimage to Ife or Eyo or Osun or Nri ,to visit various local groves & shrines or for annual convention, etc.
- A day of rest of choice. Maybe a Thursday (afterall, christians have sunday)

- A slot in National event and programmes to offer Morning prayers, opening prayers etc. where applicable

This is only just and equitable
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2011
[size=16pt]HEAR!!!!!!! HEAR!!!!!!![/size]

the ba.stards are too ashamed to relate to traditional faiths. we are the true Nigerian ppl and deserve more rights than foreign islam n christianity. angry angry angry angry angry angry

whenever anyone speaks about traditional faiths, they r immediately hushed up or made funn of. you stinkin politicians will regret, i promise you. angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 13, 2011
I thought y'all hypocrites and pharisees claim that Nigeria is a secular state.

Now you've gone deaf mute! Bunch of brainwashed dumbfvcks.

Let me catch you again claiming that Nigeria is a secular state; lying through your teeth that what is good for the goose is equally good for the gander. LIAR

Sunday rest day is good for christians , but is not good for traditionalist?
- A govt. sponsored National mosque & cathedral is good for you , but is not good for traditionalist?
- 5-days public holiday annually is good for you , but is not good for traditionalist?
- Free state sponsorship pilgrimage is good for you , but is not good for traditionalist?
- A slot in National event and programmes and discourses is good for you , but is not good for traditionalist?

Yen yen yen yen! god is love bvllshit et al. Away with your lies. Crappy i.diots with hogwash desert fairytale,
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:06am On Jul 13, 2011
Jon. Bee, jus forget it. we r just wasting our time here, u see, we r the only two who r talking here. even the others on Nairaland r too cowardly to speak out.

they r all brainwashed by these middle-easter c,rap. however, on my part, i will continue to fight for our rights till i die. my Gods and my ancestors bear witness, that i was not a coward.
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 03, 2011
Jon.Bee:

Let me catch you again claiming that Nigeria is a secular state; lying through your teeth that what is good for the goose is equally good for the gander. LIAR

- A govt. sponsored National mosque & cathedral is good for you , but is not good for traditionalist?
- 5-days public holiday annually is good for you , but is not good for traditionalist?
- Free state sponsorship pilgrimage is good for you , but is not good for traditionalist?
- A slot in National event and programmes and discourses is good for you , but is not good for traditionalist?

Yen yen yen yen! god is love bvllshit et al. Away with your lies. Crappy i.diots with hogwash desert fairytale,

This is good idea of a bill to the NASS of a secular naija. How d'ya like me now?
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by Pukkah: 6:51pm On Aug 03, 2011
Jon.Bee:

You have made a valid point for intellectual debate but do try to tame your language. This is one of the ways to make others listen to you.

In my opinion, it is either there is a level playing field for all adherents of faiths or all religion-related public holidays should be scrapped leaving only October 1 and May 29 as the only national holidays. This is the only way to achieve equity and fairness.

I find it laughable too when some people say that Nigeria is a secular country when indeed there is open bias in favour of certain religion(s) at the expense of tax payers who do not profess the state-favoured religion(s).

In the height of the debate for and against the introduction of Islamic Banking, I was aghast to read many Christians repeatedly refer to Nigeria as a secular country when in fact the country has long adopted Christianity and Islam as state religions at the expense of other religions especially the Nigerian indigenous/traditional religion(s).

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 04, 2011
Pukkah:

I find it laughable too when some people say that Nigeria is a secular country when indeed there is open bias in favour of certain religion(s) at the expense of tax payers who do not profess the state-favoured religion(s).

In the height of the debate for and against the introduction of Islamic Banking, I was aghast to read many Christians repeatedly refer to Nigeria as a secular country when in fact the country has long adopted Christianity and Islam as state religions at the expense of other religions especially the Nigerian indigenous/traditional religion(s).

GBAM!
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:18pm On Dec 25, 2012
[size=32pt]WE NEED NATIONAL SHRINE IN ABUJA![/size] angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:20pm On Dec 25, 2012
Front Page!
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by Rossikk(m): 9:35pm On Dec 25, 2012
We need a National TEMPLE, not a 'national shrine'.

The use of shrines was a social response to historical pressures upon the African. The African in his default capacity (as seen in history) erects mighty TEMPLES to his Gods, witness the massive Nubian, Kushite and Egyptian temples and pyramids constructed by our ancestors thousands of years ago.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:17pm On Dec 25, 2012
Rossikk: We need a National TEMPLE, not a 'national shrine'.

The use of shrines was a social response to historical pressures upon the African. The African in his default capacity (as seen in history) erects mighty TEMPLES to his Gods, witness the massive Nubian, Kushite and Egyptian temples and pyramids constructed by our ancestors thousands of years ago.

Shrines are smaller temples, (and btw Ancient Egyptians were not our ancestors. We are different ethnicities).

Anyways you are right, Nigeria is progressing into the modern world, and Pagan Civilizations throughout Ancient History (Greece, Roman, INdian, Egyptian, Chinese , Mayan, etc.,) have constructed GREAT TEMPLES, so yes, we need A NATIONAL TEMPLE IN ABUJA! let us spread this movement!
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by igbo2011(m): 12:42pm On Dec 27, 2012
What per engage of Nigerians are traditionalists? Most are xtian or Muslim.
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by EvilBrain1(m): 1:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
What about devil worshippers? The government should sponsor them on pilgrimages to Las Vegas so they can snort cocaine and fĂșck ashawo according to the tenets of their religion.

I'm an atheist, not a devil worshipper, but I'd seriously consider converting if it'll get me a free ride out of this useless country.
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by EvilBrain1(m): 3:03pm On Dec 27, 2012
igbo2011: What per engage of Nigerians are traditionalists? Most are xtian or Muslim.

What percentage of Nigerians are Ibo? Most are Hausa or Yoruba, so it's okay for us to discriminate against all the other tribes.
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by OmoTier1(m): 3:21pm On Dec 27, 2012
Satan never goes on holiday! He is wounded and defeated foe trolling the earth in disgust.... He will not have any holiday in Nigeria! I have spoken so be it!
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 27, 2012
Omo_Tier1: Satan never goes on holiday! He is wounded and defeated foe trolling the earth in disgust.... He will not have any holiday in Nigeria! I have spoken so be it!

This is an example of a bigoted psychopath. Just because someone is of a different religion, he is a devil to you?

One has to wonder how many psychopaths are hiding under the guise of christianity

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:43pm On Dec 27, 2012
igbo2011: What per engage of Nigerians are traditionalists? Most are xtian or Muslim.

I would estimate 10 - 50%, why? 10% are pure Pagan Traditionalists. (this is growing only among Yorubas but is in decline/stable among all other tribes).

However 60% are part-time Traditionalists, if you know what i mean. .

Most Nigerian Monarchs are Pagans though, except the Fulani and Hasua Kings. SOme Hausa Chiefs are Pagans. you can see them especially during Argunugu Festival ,etc., where they are required to give blessings.
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by Nobody: 5:24am On Dec 28, 2012
Why do christians avoid such threads like this?
Re: Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:39pm On Dec 28, 2012
^those half-bred cowards. angry

we so graciously visit their threads, they cant even return the favour!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Another Feast Day Of Our Lady (photo) / MUST READ : Read The Life & Times Of A Man Who Call Himself "Jesus Of Oyingbo" / SA Based Nigerian Prophet Sam Akinbodunse 2018 Prophecies  fulfilled In 24-hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.