Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,372 members, 7,829,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players (17434 Views)

Novak Djokovic Takes On 2 Fat Sumo Heavyweight Fighters (Photos) / Novak Djokovic Beats Rafael Nadal To Win Australian Open Men's Final (Pics) / Governor Ambode Approves N2 Million Bonus To All Nigerian Table Tennis Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by mrksquare: 3:11pm On Apr 22, 2022
This COVIDiot that was bundled ingloriously like a contraband product out of Australia is now making case for Russian athletes. Not surprised because the Serbs are in support of Russia.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Nobody: 3:14pm On Apr 22, 2022
KillerCrocodile:
The UK-based tennis tournament announced the ban in light of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Tennis star Novak Djokovic has called a ban on Russian and Belarusian players competing at Wimbledon “crazy”.

His critique on Thursday came a day after the oldest tennis tournament in the world announced the measure, in light of Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.

Wimbledon, which is based in the United Kingdom, became the first tennis tournament to prevent individual athletes from the two countries from competing amid the continuing conflict.

Speaking to reporters at the Serbia Open, Djokovic said he “cannot support the decision of Wimbledon”.

“I think it’s crazy,” he added. “When politics interferes with sport, the result is not good.”

He added, however, he will “always condemn war, I will never support war, being myself a child of war … I know how much emotional trauma it leaves. In Serbia, we all know what happened in 1999. In the Balkans, we have had many wars in recent history.”

The ban means world number two Daniil Medvedev from Russia and women’s fourth-ranked Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus will not participate in the June 27-July 10 competition.

Ian Hewitt, chairman of the All England Club, said on Wednesday, “We recognise that this is hard on the individuals affected, and it is with sadness that they will suffer for the actions of the leaders of the Russian regime.”

“The Belarusian Tennis Federation categorically condemns the decision taken by the organisers of Wimbledon to suspend Belarusian and Russian tennis players,” it said in a statement.

“Such destructive actions in no way contribute to the resolution of conflicts, but only incite hatred and intolerance on a national basis.”

The Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA), the breakaway players’ body launched by Djokovic in 2020, said it was committed to protecting the tennis community having heard the experiences of individuals impacted by the war.

“As major competitions throughout our sport contemplate banning Russian and Belarusian athletes, we have to reflect and understand that many of them have lost their freedom of choice and expression, due to the laws being enforced by the Russian and Belarus Federations,” the PTPA said in a statement.

“Speaking against Russian or Belarus or denouncing the invasion may result in imprisonment.”

Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina said Russian and Belarusian players who denounce Moscow’s invasion of her country should be allowed to participate at Wimbledon.

Medvedev made a plea for peace on Twitter in February while his compatriot Andrey Rublev wrote “No War Please” on the lens of a TV camera on his way to winning the Dubai title.

Sport meets geopolitics

Djokovic has not shied away from controversy during his professional career, most recently during a public standoff with Australian officials over his refusal to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

The tennis player was also widely criticised in September of 2021 for dining with Milan Jolovic, a former commander of the notorious Drina Wolves paramilitary unit, which participated in the genocide against Bosniaks in Srebrenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Jolovic is celebrated by many Serbs for saving the life of convicted war criminal Ratko Mladic during the war in Bosnia in July 1993, when Serb forces came across the Bosnian army in the Bjelasnica area just outside Sarajevo and had their tank destroyed.

With his unit, Jolovic managed to save Mladic and he was subsequently promoted to a higher rank.

A UN court in 2017 found Mladic guilty of genocide and war crimes in Bosnia and sentenced him to life imprisonment.

Before the dinner, Djokovic was also seen singing at a wedding in Bosnia with Bosnia’s Serb member of the presidency, Milorad Dodik, a well-known genocide denier who regularly advocates for the secession of Bosnia’s Serb-run entity, Republika Srpska, from the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/4/21/djokovic-calls-ban-on-russian-tennis-players-at-wimbledon-crazy

This shows Putin is hurting them badly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by somehow: 3:15pm On Apr 22, 2022
abobote:
Djokovic has become a rebel lately.
His opinion though

A free thinker that can smell hypocrisy from afar.
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Saidfx(m): 3:17pm On Apr 22, 2022
seunny4lif:
Why don’t they ban USA, UK and France for the destruction of Libya, Iraq, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Syria.
I said this war will open up the world to see real life.

God only guide does who want to see or hear. People follow trending news with closed eyes and mind. The same USA and Britain that stand for liberalism are the main hypocrites of the world. It is now Russophobia not Islamophobia again, Abi? Imagine the same USa that wanted to change it for Cuba and still with red eyes with her till today for wanting to bring Russia to help with nuclear enrichments. This goes for them Elizabeth people too, that own an island in Argentina which no Argentine can trespass or near..Bush and Blair stylishly invaded Iraq and the whole world did not see any meaning to it, except few that understand the Zionist agenda.

For those set of people on NL that swallows the lies of the west and believe Russia is loosing the war by watching the BBC's CNN and Fox are doing so at thier own peril. Russia warned the NATO for more than 8yrs and they taught Putin was only making empty threats. The USA Congress members are cashing out big now on Ukraine and they realeae 800M dollars weekly for Ukraine support. The Chinese and Russians are not reliable people that you use sanctions to talk to. Russian army is not in Ukraine, but in reserves getting ready for USA NATO full confrontation. Let them continue deceiving themselves. Russophobia indeed!

3 Likes

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by baralatie(m): 3:17pm On Apr 22, 2022
Lordofalmajiri:
nairaland key board warrior telling a world tennis champion to shut up , typing comfortably from his " face me I slap you one bedroom" wonderful shocked shocked
grin grin grin
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by homealone00: 3:23pm On Apr 22, 2022
TobiAbuja:
Unfortunately with a warmongering maniac as their leader, there is little room for recourse.
This is a big lie and people like you should not be allow to spread fake news, for sure I know Russia did not invade Syria as they were been invited by the Syrian president unlike the USA.... if one of the country on your list is a lie there is high probability that you are a serial liar and everything is a lie.

3 Likes

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 22, 2022
Okay

Meet Manchester United's New Manager: Erik Ten Hag

https://www.footballorbit.com/meet-manchester-uniteds-new-manager-erik-ten-hag/
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by sweetjohn(m): 3:24pm On Apr 22, 2022
seunny4lif:
Why don’t they ban USA, UK and France for the destruction of Libya, Iraq, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Syria.
I said this war will open up the world to see real life.
Keep fooling yourself with Islamic terrorists countries. USA will deal with all of una

1 Like

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by sweetjohn(m): 3:28pm On Apr 22, 2022
Saidfx:

God only guide does who want to see or hear. People follow trending news with closed eyes and mind. The same USA and Britain that stand for liberalism are the main hypocrites of the world. It is now Russophobia not Islamophobia again, Abi? Imagine the same USa that wanted to change it for Cuba and still with red eyes with her till today for wanting to bring Russia to help with nuclear enrichments. This goes for them Elizabeth people too, that own an island in Argentina which no Argentine can trespass or near..Bush and Blair stylishly invaded Iraq and the whole world did not see any meaning to it, except few that understand the Zionist agenda.

For those set of people on NL that swallows the lies of the west and believe Russia is loosing the war by watching the BBC's CNN and Fox are doing so at thier own peril. Russia warned the NATO for more than 8yrs and they taught Putin was only making empty threats. The USA Congress members are cashing out big now on Ukraine and they realeae 800M dollars weekly for Ukraine support. The Chinese and Russians are not reliable people that you use sanctions to talk to. Russian army is not in Ukraine, but in reserves getting ready for USA NATO full confrontation. Let them continue deceiving themselves. Russophobia indeed!

The USA will not fall into this your nonsense blackmail. USA will continue to dealt with all Islamic terrorists countries to keep the world safe
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by King2019(m): 3:33pm On Apr 22, 2022
posty56:
w because the United States are hypocrites
"Do you think we are so innocent?"... Trump
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Awesometouch1: 3:40pm On Apr 22, 2022
So Novak Djokovic doesn't even have sense.

1 Like

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Heavensent01(m): 3:54pm On Apr 22, 2022
Lordofalmajiri:
nairaland key board warrior telling a world tennis champion to shut up , typing comfortably from his " face me I slap you one bedroom" wonderful shocked shocked

he's a world tennis champion so fúck what? is he more human than him

complex inferiority don run your Brain down
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by BluntTheApostle(m): 3:54pm On Apr 22, 2022
The hypocrisy is what riles me.

Just like Putin said, "The West have a set of standards for themselves, and another for the rest of the world"

They were the ones that said sports should never mix with politics, and have gone as far as forbid statements with political undertones from sports. They are still the same ones breaking their own rules.
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by brandmix: 3:56pm On Apr 22, 2022
I just hope the next time America declares war on another country all these banning will be repeated kiss
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Sltp: 4:00pm On Apr 22, 2022
Unaya:
These are the unfortunate consequences of having a brute as a leader. Everyone gets to feel the heat with him
why were US sportsmen not banned under the brute called Obama?
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by techWriter3: 4:11pm On Apr 22, 2022
w because the United States not phonies
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by adedayoa2(f): 4:14pm On Apr 22, 2022
Lordofalmajiri:

2 Likes

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by justwise(m): 4:14pm On Apr 22, 2022
Novak Djokovic is Serbian and Serb is a strong ally of Russia, i don't expect him to say anything different

No Russian player should be allowed to play and yes politics and sports can not be separated.

His opinion is worthless anyway

1 Like

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by CrestMan: 4:17pm On Apr 22, 2022
I just love this guy and he strong stand on what he believes! He is very right! God bless him!
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by CrestMan: 4:22pm On Apr 22, 2022
Focusmind:

I like him for that - He has always been against the establishment and mainstream positions on things.

Banning those players is not the best thing to do. Those Russian players had individually condemned the invasion and playing with their Ukrainian counterpart should have been an opportunity to promote unity and peace.

But as usual, everybody would wants to pander to the mood of the rightist groups and mainstream public opinions. Wimbledon organizers are no exception.

Actually LEFTIST GROUPS!
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Luluakim: 4:22pm On Apr 22, 2022
nony43:
It is for their safety. Some countries that are angry with Russia can take it out on the athletes.
Sure
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by TobiAbuja: 4:29pm On Apr 22, 2022
homealone00:

This is a big lie and people like you should not be allow to spread fake news, for sure I know Russia did not invade Syria as they were been invited by the Syrian president unlike the USA.... if one of the country on your list is a lie there is high probability that you are a serial liar and everything is a lie.

Get real! Were they invited into Ukraine? Stop apologising for murderers. Historic Aleppo was carpet bombed by the Russians because it contained enemies of the Syrian state you so covet. They cause destruction wherever they go.

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by OGcartel: 4:30pm On Apr 22, 2022
Banning individuals who could had nothing to do with the war is baseless and that won't do anything to stop this conflicts created by politicians.. this isn't equity at all standards as sports speaks universal language..
Sanctionees should know how to deal with this conflict politically instead of witch hunting our beloved athletes and progressive business minded individuals..

Let's keep the same energy used in condemning the war to mentally reject these sanctions and ban
Peace

2 Likes

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by hayzed19(m): 4:34pm On Apr 22, 2022
The West and its hypocrisy
When Celtics fans supported Palestine during the Middle East conflict, they were fined and instructed not to combine sports and politics.
But now that the battle is in their backyard, sports can be combined with politics.
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by OGcartel: 4:47pm On Apr 22, 2022
sweetjohn:
The USA will not fall into this your nonsense blackmail. USA will continue to dealt with all Islamic terrorists countries to keep the world safe

Be guided when thinking the USA is fighting Islam because of terrorism,they also don't give a Bleep about you or the entire Black Africa race.they have always shown it to you that you are inferior to them and you will always see them as your God as long as you don't question their doings.. thinking they are fighting terrorism is just the picture they always paint to you but if you study and seek knowledge unorthodoxly, you will realize all they want is power,control, influence and colonization of the whole world
It's okay if you gained world power by development and progressiveness of your country but why going extra oppressing underdeveloped countries and taking advantage of passive people because they welcomed you to their lands with both hands the same way you deny them visa to yours
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by sweetjohn(m): 5:02pm On Apr 22, 2022
OGcartel:

Be guided when thinking the USA is fighting Islam because of terrorism,they also don't give a Bleep about you or the entire Black Africa race.they have always shown it to you that you are inferior to them and you will always see them as your God as long as you don't question their doings.. thinking they are fighting terrorism is just the picture they always paint to you but if you study and seek knowledge unorthodoxly, you will realize all they want is power,control, influence and colonization of the whole world
It's okay if you gained world power by development and progressiveness of your country but why going extra oppressing underdeveloped countries and taking advantage of passive people because they welcomed you to their lands with both hands the same way you deny them visa to yours
"USA don't give a Bleep about Africa and entire black race", another lies and propaganda enaminating from Islam. Trying to make Africa hate USA. Yet USA has done more to Africa continent than any country including your Nigeria. Yet USA is the only west and Asian country that have made a black man their president. Yet USA is the only country on the world where a lot of Africans including Nigeria are senators, governors, Mayors counselors etc. Abeg, tell us another lies.
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Bestbeelieve: 5:06pm On Apr 22, 2022
Megatrix:

Was it right what the US did in Libya and Iraq? Why were their athletes not punished for it?
You didnt answer my question. just so you know i was totally against such invasions but just a reminder
Sadam was a dictatorship ( so many indiscriminate killings under his watch)
The Arab spring gave rise to the libya crisis ( The libyan people hit the streets first)
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by BeeNG3: 5:07pm On Apr 22, 2022
Comrade Djokovic
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Bestbeelieve: 5:09pm On Apr 22, 2022
BluntTheApostle:
The hypocrisy is what riles me.

Just like Putin said, "The West have a set of standards for themselves, and another for the rest of the world"

They were the ones that said sports should never mix with politics, and have gone as far as forbid statements with political undertones from sports. They are still the same ones breaking their own rules.
Putin should shut up!of what good is he to himself talkless the world?
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Ejehkob: 5:28pm On Apr 22, 2022
They should channel their protest to Putin angry
Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by Great0ne1: 5:38pm On Apr 22, 2022
Lordofalmajiri:
My brother, i just tire for those morons.

2 Likes

Re: Novak Djokovic Condemns Wimbledon’s Ban On Russian Tennis Players by drerocker: 5:38pm On Apr 22, 2022
KillerCrocodile:
The UK-based tennis tournament announced the ban in light of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Tennis star Novak Djokovic has called a ban on Russian and Belarusian players competing at Wimbledon “crazy”.

His critique on Thursday came a day after the oldest tennis tournament in the world announced the measure, in light of Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.

Wimbledon, which is based in the United Kingdom, became the first tennis tournament to prevent individual athletes from the two countries from competing amid the continuing conflict.

Speaking to reporters at the Serbia Open, Djokovic said he “cannot support the decision of Wimbledon”.

“I think it’s crazy,” he added. “When politics interferes with sport, the result is not good.”

He added, however, he will “always condemn war, I will never support war, being myself a child of war … I know how much emotional trauma it leaves. In Serbia, we all know what happened in 1999. In the Balkans, we have had many wars in recent history.”

The ban means world number two Daniil Medvedev from Russia and women’s fourth-ranked Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus will not participate in the June 27-July 10 competition.

Ian Hewitt, chairman of the All England Club, said on Wednesday, “We recognise that this is hard on the individuals affected, and it is with sadness that they will suffer for the actions of the leaders of the Russian regime.”

“The Belarusian Tennis Federation categorically condemns the decision taken by the organisers of Wimbledon to suspend Belarusian and Russian tennis players,” it said in a statement.

“Such destructive actions in no way contribute to the resolution of conflicts, but only incite hatred and intolerance on a national basis.”

The Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA), the breakaway players’ body launched by Djokovic in 2020, said it was committed to protecting the tennis community having heard the experiences of individuals impacted by the war.

“As major competitions throughout our sport contemplate banning Russian and Belarusian athletes, we have to reflect and understand that many of them have lost their freedom of choice and expression, due to the laws being enforced by the Russian and Belarus Federations,” the PTPA said in a statement.

“Speaking against Russian or Belarus or denouncing the invasion may result in imprisonment.”

Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina said Russian and Belarusian players who denounce Moscow’s invasion of her country should be allowed to participate at Wimbledon.

Medvedev made a plea for peace on Twitter in February while his compatriot Andrey Rublev wrote “No War Please” on the lens of a TV camera on his way to winning the Dubai title.

Sport meets geopolitics

Djokovic has not shied away from controversy during his professional career, most recently during a public standoff with Australian officials over his refusal to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

The tennis player was also widely criticised in September of 2021 for dining with Milan Jolovic, a former commander of the notorious Drina Wolves paramilitary unit, which participated in the genocide against Bosniaks in Srebrenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Jolovic is celebrated by many Serbs for saving the life of convicted war criminal Ratko Mladic during the war in Bosnia in July 1993, when Serb forces came across the Bosnian army in the Bjelasnica area just outside Sarajevo and had their tank destroyed.

With his unit, Jolovic managed to save Mladic and he was subsequently promoted to a higher rank.

A UN court in 2017 found Mladic guilty of genocide and war crimes in Bosnia and sentenced him to life imprisonment.

Before the dinner, Djokovic was also seen singing at a wedding in Bosnia with Bosnia’s Serb member of the presidency, Milorad Dodik, a well-known genocide denier who regularly advocates for the secession of Bosnia’s Serb-run entity, Republika Srpska, from the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/4/21/djokovic-calls-ban-on-russian-tennis-players-at-wimbledon-crazy

u no get sense oooooo,so u like the invasion oooooo

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osimhen Returns With Winning Assist To Nullify Lookman's Goal In Napoli's Win / Victor Anichebe Laments About His Knee Injury [PICS] / AS Monaco Set To Sack Thierry Henry After Three Months In Charge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.