Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,333 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki (21212 Views)

Catholic Diocese Of Enugu Shuts Down Father Mbaka's Adoration Ministry / Rev. Fr. Timothy Ngwuta Released On Bail / Onitsha Catholic Diocese schools and hospitals they owns(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by canada2022: 4:54pm On Apr 25, 2022
Earlier thread on this

https://www.nairaland.com/7051410/father-timothy-ngwuta-framed-up

STATEMENT FROM THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF ABAKALIKI REGARDING THE ARREST AND ARRAIGNMENT OF FR. TIMOTHY NGWUTA.

On Saturday, 11th December, 2021, Fr. Timothy Ngwuta was arrested by the Nigeria Police at Mbeke, Ishieke, Ebonyi Local Government Area where he went to help his friend, Jude Ariom, retrieve a vehicle (TOYOTA SIENNA) that was parked there. Before Fr. Timothy arrived Mbeke, he proceeded to the police station to obtain clearance to move the vehicle whose Tyres were deflated. The Police at Mbeke granted him permission to take the vehicle away after he has settled their bill for guarding the car for a period of two weeks. In the course of inflating the tyres, the local vigilante swooped on him and his companions, demanding further settlement. Fr. Timothy informed that the settlement with the police was meant to take care of them as well. After a short while, a different set of local vigilante group arrived. bringing about some altercations between the two groups. Fr. Timothy and those who came to assist him move the vehicle were arrested by the local vigilante and handed over to the same police who earlier had given him clearance to move the vehicle. Fr. Timothy and his companions were subsequently brought to Nigerian Police Headquarters at Abakaliki the following day and detained for a period of twelve days. He was tortured. He was later released on bail. When his health began to fail him on account of the torture he received while in detention. That was on the 23rd December, 2021. He was required to be reporting to the Police Station weekly, this he did Religiously.

Just when we thought the matter was over, he was rearrested on Tuesday, March 8, 2022 and, on the 11th of March, 2021 arraigned in court for, kidnapping and murder of the five NELAN Engineers, attack on and murder of police officers, aiding escape, arson, promoting inter-communal war. We are worried how the issue of going to recover a car parked outside the war zone (a different Local Government Area) has metamorphosed to such accusations as contained in the charges against him. The identity of the car was disclosed to the police by Fr. Timothy together with the contact address and phone number. It is rather surprising to hear that Fr. Timothy is shielding him.

Facts available to the diocese are as follows:
1). Fr. Timothy Ngwuta comes from Ezza Effium; whose home town has been decimated by the inter-communal war between the Effium/Ezza Effium.
2). Fr. Timothy Ngwuta vehemently denies all these charges and sees himself as a victim of circumstances.
3). Fr. Timothy Ngwuta states unequivocally that he innocently went to help a friend retrieve his vehicle and was not aware that the vehicle was used in the commission of crimes as alleged.

The Catholic Church condemns acts of violence, incitement of violence, wars, kidnapping, arson, or any crimes and will not shield anyone involved in such dastardly acts. We urge the security forces to do a thorough investigation and ensure that the priest of God, who has, in conscience, stated before his Bishop, that the accusations are entirely FALSE, is not punished for offense he knows nothing about. Efforts to secure his release on Bail have been hampered by the Executive Order preventing any Court in the State from entertaining matters relating to Effium Crisis. Recently the motion for bail was refused on the 12th of April.

The Church in the name of God, appeals to all of Effium and Ezaa Effium involved in the inter-communal war, to lay down their arms and embrace the path of peace. Nothing justifies the senseless killing and maiming of innocent lives. Peace can never be achieved under the barrel of guns.

Since the matter is before the courts, we will not be making any more statement on the case. We urge all to withhold judgment and let the case run its course.

We implore all people of good will to join us in praying God to touch those responsible for the incarceration of Fr. Timothy to listen to the voice of right conscience. We commend the whole process into the hands of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of Priests and the Star of Evangelization. Pray for peace in our State and in the Country.

Signed
Fr. Matthew Uzoma Opoke
Chancellor, Catholic Diocese of Abakaliki.
24/4/2022.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3167188886902261&id=1646539895633842

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by Speaklove: 5:02pm On Apr 25, 2022
RedMac:

Christians online should make the news of the arrest of this father go viral so that the authorities can do a thing .
It is pathetic how we keep silent on things that matters

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by canada2022: 6:12am On Apr 26, 2022
Speaklove:

Christians online should make the news of the arrest of this father go viral so that the authorities can do a thing .
It is pathetic how we keep silent on things that matters

Exactly......lalasticlala, seun , myd44

16 Likes

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by Oysters(m): 9:34am On Apr 26, 2022
When wahala is exactly what you think it is ...

... like BMX bicycle

1 Like

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by nzeobi(m): 9:34am On Apr 26, 2022
Umahi is behind this the story has been on since early this year I even thought he has been released.

So umahi can ever marginalize and oppress people from his state but will in his stupidity turn around and blame people from other States from bullying

17 Likes

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by wonder233: 9:35am On Apr 26, 2022
Tribe, Religion... The curse of the black man.
I didn't read the epistle up there cos I'm free from that curse: I don't have tribe, I'm just a human being, humanity is my tribe. I don't have religion, I just love. Love is my religion.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by Mrkcee(m): 9:35am On Apr 26, 2022
I took time to read through the statement; it's really a pity that an ordained father will have to pass through this torment. Really sorry for that.

But then, some questions remains unanswered!...
1) Where was this mystery friend (Jude Ariom) as at when he asked the father to retrieve the vehicle?

2) Why did the Father accept to retrieve the vehicle supposedly on flat tire since 2weeks? A vulcanizer or even the vehicle owner's mechanic could have done that.

3) Why go to the police first to obtain permission before retrieving a friend's vehicle on flat tire?

4) Why would the police re-arrest someone who earlier came for permission?

5) Where is the present location of the original car owner?
And lots of other questions...

My opinion...
The police should IMMEDIATELY grant the ordained Father BAIL, while they continue their investigation.
The original owner of the car MUST be found to explain how his car was used for the alleged crime that caused loss of lives & destruction of properties.

#JusticeForFatherTimothy!
#SayNoToCommunalWar!
#LetPeaceReign!

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by dettolgel: 9:36am On Apr 26, 2022
It seems the church in Ebony state has been comprised for it to have taken them this long to react publicly on his case.

I pray the law takes its course if he is innocent may he find justice.

11 Likes

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by BeardGangJnr1(m): 9:36am On Apr 26, 2022
Free am the man of God cry

4 Likes

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by specialmati(m): 9:37am On Apr 26, 2022
cool cool cool Nigeria police.am just waiting as I live to see a day any good news will come out of that useless institution

4 Likes

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by jababillions: 9:37am On Apr 26, 2022
Chai!

Naija Police again.
Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by nadisms: 9:38am On Apr 26, 2022
The diocese is not strong

If this thing happened in Anambra state, by now the police will be the ones begging for forgiveness and asking for out of court settlements...

You don't dare nonsense....

22 Likes

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by jababillions: 9:38am On Apr 26, 2022
Naija police again.
Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by BarrElChapo(m): 9:39am On Apr 26, 2022
Sad
Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by Born2Breed(f): 9:39am On Apr 26, 2022
Na person wey nor settle police well police dey like frame.

Very yeye people.

Trust police not.

5 Likes

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by illicit(m): 9:39am On Apr 26, 2022
He for don settle those boys jare

All these for no happen
Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by Gten(m): 9:40am On Apr 26, 2022
Trust the Nigerian police at your peril.

1 Like

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by Moneyboyz: 9:40am On Apr 26, 2022
Wicked people everywhere.
Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by Kingpele(m): 9:40am On Apr 26, 2022
And this short devil want to be a president, i wonder how a governor will fold his hands and watch his people kill each other like rams .if he can't secure a state, how will he be able to secure the entire country..this priest won't have fallen into the hands of our rogue police force, if that useless war weren't going on in that region

7 Likes

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by deeway200(m): 9:40am On Apr 26, 2022
Pathetic. This country has no hope
Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by michlins(m): 9:41am On Apr 26, 2022
This diocese and the entire Catholic church failed

5 Likes

Re: Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki by seborrhic: 9:41am On Apr 26, 2022
Much as I pity and believe the father's account,he shouldn't have accepted to help his friend retrieve his car.
I also believe his friend deliberately hid some details from him that should ordinarily have raised the father's doubts.
Should have told the so called friend to use a lawyer or another person.
This is also a lesson to people,learn to sometimes say no and tell whoever seeks your help to follow the legal part, particularly when goods are involved.One may end up being involved in something he/she has no single idea about.

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Low Turnout Of Teens In Churches Nowadays. / Nike Adeyemi Writes Husband Sam Adeyemi Lovely Note On 54th Birthday (Photo) / Loveworld International Music & Arts Awards (LIMA AWARDS 2017) Winners/ Prizes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.