Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now (3181 Views)

Denmark Greencard. / Get A Denmark Greencard Visa And Secure Entry Into Other 26 Countries In Europe / Get A Denmark Greencard Visa And Secure Entry Into Other 26 Countries In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by miraexcel(f): 8:14am On Jul 09, 2011
A friend of mine has a baby though she's not married to the father who has been a US citizen for over 19 years. The baby was born in Nigeria and live in Nigeria with the mom at the moment. The father of the baby have filled for her papers in the US and he's at the stage where documents
(Like school fees receipts,birth certificate -whatever that includes his name as the father)are needed to prove paternity. My question is: what will be given to this baby, greencard or citizenship? What is the procedure for citizenship application? The child in question is 3 now.
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by miraexcel(f): 10:47am On Jul 09, 2011
Looking for answers asap because the deadline for the submission of the docs is close. Thanks
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 09, 2011
I hope you get answers soon.
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by dancewith: 1:06pm On Jul 09, 2011
onyiilady:

A friend of mine has a baby though she's not married to the father who has been a US citizen for over 19 years. The baby was born in Nigeria and live in Nigeria with the mom at the moment. The father of the baby have filled for her papers in the US and he's at the stage where documents
(Like school fees receipts,birth certificate -whatever that includes his name as the father)are needed to prove paternity. My question is: what will be given to this baby, greencard or citizenship? What is the procedure for citizenship application? The child in question is 3 now.

There are three main proof of US citizenships. US Birth cert for those born here, a naturalization cert for naturalized foreign born citizens and a consular report of birth abroad (for children of US citizens born outside the united states. This report must be issued by the embassy of the foreign country in which the child was born.

For your friend, they need to apply for the consular report of birth abroad since the father is a US citizen at the time of his birth. Embassy requirements vary as per country in question. A friend that used this a while ago in Nigeria was required to do a DNA test with the child. I understand for those born in Europe, a birth cert with the US citizen parent named in it will suffice

I hope this helps

Best of luck
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by miraexcel(f): 11:07am On Jul 10, 2011
Thank you very much dancewith! Do you have an idea of what it takes to apply for this consular report of birth? Can the mother apply? Like I said the father have applied but we're not sure if he applied for greencard or citizenship. We want to avoid mistakes
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by EuroMeko(m): 12:44pm On Jul 10, 2011
I'm not an immigration expert per se but what you would be going for is citizenship not work permit (green card).
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by omega25red(m): 4:55pm On Jul 10, 2011
the child will be granted a green card. after a few year i think 5 years then they can apply for citizenship for the child
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by oncolor: 5:08pm On Jul 10, 2011
Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father – “New” Section 309(a)

A person born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship under Section 301(g) of the INA, as made applicable by the “new” Section 309(a) of the INA provided:

A blood relationship between the person and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence;
    The father had the nationality of the United States at the time of the person’s birth;
    The father was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions prior to the child’s birth for five years, at least two of which were after reaching the
    age of 14.
    The father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for the person until the person reaches the age of 18 years, and
    While the person is under the age of 18 years --
        the person is legitimated under the law of his/her residence or domicile,
        the father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or
        the paternity of the person is established by adjudication of a competent court.

Source: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_5199.html

Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by miraexcel(f): 5:27pm On Jul 10, 2011
Thanks oncolor. That's a very helpful link
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by anfanio: 2:09am On Jul 11, 2011
Baby acquires citizenship, father should file papers at ,

http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/acs_abuja_birthabroad.html

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child's birth abroad as soon as possible to establish an official record of the child's claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) is official evidence of U.S. citizenship issued to a child under age 18 who was born abroad to United States citizen parent(s) and acquired citizenship at birth.
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by miraexcel(f): 8:21pm On Jul 12, 2011
ok thamks you guys
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by miraexcel(f): 8:14am On Jul 29, 2011
Does anyone know how to go about consular report of birth in Nigeria. Can the mother apply? Is it too late to apply for this cus the child is 3? What are the needed docs?
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by miraexcel(f): 9:59am On Mar 22, 2012
still on this. The father applied for immigrant visa instead of citizenship because of his iniability to visit Nigeria asap... All fees has been paid and the application is approved but i want to know the possiblity of giving visa to someone who will accompany the child to the US since he's still a minor
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by MOM1(m): 10:58pm On Mar 22, 2012
did he file for just the child?
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by miraexcel(f): 6:24am On Mar 23, 2012
yes it was just for the child but the child cant travel alone so what happens?
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by MOM1(m): 4:54pm On Mar 23, 2012
did u get my offlines on yahoo messenger?
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by miraexcel(f): 8:13pm On Mar 23, 2012
noi didnt, you can inbox me
Re: Greencard/us Passport Application Issues, Please Advise Now by princeonx: 2:01pm On Jul 13, 2012
onyiilady: still on this. The father applied for immigrant visa instead of citizenship because of his iniability to visit Nigeria asap... All fees has been paid and the application is approved but i want to know the possiblity of giving visa to someone who will accompany the child to the US since he's still a minor
His US passport or original naturalization certificate is all you need (your friend Na you). At 3yrs already they might ask for a DNA test to establish that there is a blood relationship. Are you sure he was already a citizen when the child was born? I have seen cases where such applications were returned because the applicant (father) was already a US citizen before the birth of the child so while he was filling (I-130) for relative immigrant visa, he was sent a mail to file for report of birth abroad.

(1) (Reply)

₦2.8million World Travel Job On Cruise Ship, Take Photos And Post On Instagram / Transiting In Doha / Who Has Taken Ethiopian Airlines/royal Maroc/ Egypt Air From London, UK To Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.