Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,068 members, 7,828,783 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) (1475 Views)

Lynched Driver, Temitope Olorunfemi, Buried In Ondo (Photos) / Lightning Strikes 36 Cows To Death In Ondo (photos) / Ajila Seun Fionna Raped And Stabbed To Death In Ondo(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by ExAngel007(f): 7:01am On Apr 26, 2022
It was gathered that the victims who visited their aunt for the Easter holiday were playing inside the shop when the cable fell on the iron container on Thursday, April 21.

A newly installed power cable has caused the death of four children after it fell on a container turned shop in Oke Igbo in Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.

It was gathered that four children including two siblings were electrocuted to death in the tragic incicent.

Two others are now receiving treatment at the hospital.

The victims who visited their aunt for the Easter holiday were playing inside the shop when the cable fell on the iron
container on Thursday, April 21.

“We were playing and suddenly, power was restored. So, we shouted ‘up NEPA but we heard the sparking sound inside the shop and we ran out," said one of the survivors who identified herself as Blessing.

"But not knowing that the new cable wire had cut and fallen on my mummy’s container, the wire trapped our legs as we walked out and we could not walk again

"So, I sat on a plank that was close to me, but the remaining
children started shaking and vomiting blood. I shouted for help and people came to rescue us and we were rushed to the General hospital, Ile-Oluji."

The owner of the shop, Mrs Ronke Adebiyi, said she was not
around when the incident happened but said she had to rush back to the shop to meet all the six children unconscious.

"In the evening, I received a call that my shop was burning. So, I ran down to check on my children. On getting there, I saw people gathered and I kept asking about my children. Later, one of them, Blessing ran out of the shop, but the others were lying on the floor," she explained.

"They were rushed to the hospital, but there was no sufficient oxygen they could use for five of them. So, four of them gave up the ghost. But the case of the sixth child was not critical as she can walk and talk.

“The remaining two were taken to Trauma Centre in Ondo for treatment. One has been discharged, but the second child has been referred to OAU Teaching Hospital in Ile Ife for treatment.

Two out of the four children are my sister’s daughter. They
came for holiday.”

The lawmaker representing Ondo South at the National Assembly, Senator Nicholas Tofowomo, described the incident as unfortunate.

Tofowomo said he would ensure the parents of the victims get justice if the BEDC were found culpable in the tragedy and however, cautioned residents against erecting buildings or shops under high tension cable or any power supply line.

"We cannot allow lawlessness to continue in this country. I will pursue justice for the parents if investigations showed culpability of the BEDC," he said.

"Moreover, the government must do its job by not allowing shops or buildings to be erected under power lines. The lives of these precious children would not have been wasted if individuals do their jobs accordingly.”

The Corporate Affairs Manager, BEDC Electricity Plc, Ondo State, Michael Barnabas, confirmed the incident in a statement.

"Sadly, we received information about the electrocution of four little children within our network in Ile-Oluji due to an 11KV line that snapped," he said.

"As a company, we condole with the families of the children
because life is very sacred and should not end prematurely this way.

"According to information available to us, the children were in an iron container shop that was directly under an 11KV line that snapped which led to their electrocution when they had contact with the wire

"The deaths would have been avoidable if there was nothing
within the 11meters right of way statutorily required for such line,"

"While we don’t have the powers to relocate people directly living or trading under our electricity lines, we shall be very brutal in disconnecting such customers from the public power supply and ensure they never have access to it again which would probably lead to them relocating voluntarily out of the harm’s way. By this, we believe we can prevent future occurrence of similar sad incidents in future." he added.

https://www.tori.ng/news/200077/tragedy-as-four-children-are-electrocuted-in-ondo.html

Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by pyyxxaro: 7:05am On Apr 26, 2022
So sad
Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by chatinent: 7:08am On Apr 26, 2022
This is very sad.

Nigeria greets you a good morning with bad news.

1 Like

Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by Fashionista01(f): 7:09am On Apr 26, 2022
Quite unfortunate. May their souls rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by Passionate888: 7:09am On Apr 26, 2022
Innocent kids. May their souls R.I.P

1 Like

Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by cenaman(m): 7:15am On Apr 26, 2022
Where is the container? Pix or I won't believe you.
Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by caesymore(m): 7:21am On Apr 26, 2022
ExAngel007:
It was gathered that the victims who visited their aunt for the Easter holiday were playing inside the shop when the cable fell on the iron container on Thursday, April 21.

A newly installed power cable has caused the death of four children after it fell on a container turned shop in Oke Igbo in Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.

As new as old, what has this country to offer but death to its citizens an untimely one at that

The victims who visited their aunt for the Easter holiday were playing inside the shop when the cable fell on the iron
container on Thursday, April 21.

Damn, anywhere but not in that poor woman's shoes at this time. Her mind must be bleeped up by now, I hope she gets solace not to talk of the mother of the kids.

"They were rushed to the hospital, but there was no sufficient oxygen they could use for five of them. So, four of them gave up the ghost. But the case of the sixth child was not critical as she can walk and talk.

So many life's would have not gone to the great beyond if not for the nonchalant attitudes of out leading bodies, ordinary oxygen tank oh, I heard the Federal Government being praised for buying one tank for Garki hospital , I laughed cause it sounded like a joke owing to the fact that in a private hospital where I work in Abuja we have it filled to the brim and littered at strategic positions in the hospital. Give me a good reason why public hospital should not have more after multiple taxations on citizens.

The lawmaker representing Ondo South at the National Assembly, Senator Nicholas Tofowomo, described the incident as unfortunate.

That all they can do so...

"Moreover, the government must do its job by not allowing shops or buildings to be erected under power lines. The lives of these precious children would not have been wasted if individuals do their jobs accordingly.”

even when they fail in doing their job as stated above, no matter the hunger don't endanger your life trying to make ends meet , those kids are dead and not coming back. R.I.P to them tender souls, this one pain me embarassed

"As a company, we condole with the families of the children
because life is very sacred and should not end prematurely this way.

"According to information available to us, the children were in an iron container shop that was directly under an 11KV line that snapped which led to their electrocution when they had contact with the wire

"The deaths would have been avoidable if there was nothing
within the 11meters right of way statutorily required for such line,"

Then while fixing the cable then why didn't you slowpokes issue a strict warning all na when una won cut light una dey only issue warning?
well, if 9ja na shoe no need to repair am, na just to throwey the shoe buy new one.

May we never encounter such on our Kids. Amen.
Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by chigoziri2403(m): 7:23am On Apr 26, 2022
Why must Nigeria make use of overhead cables
Such occurrences are bound to occur
While growing up in festac, all wiring were All subsurface

1 Like

Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by Rastaramsey(m): 8:41am On Apr 26, 2022
Mhen, Nigeria is such a death trap....

It should be included in the 1000 ways to die....

What a foolish way to die.......

Nawa oooo

Electric cable wey them just install

Na incompetence go finish Nigeria sad sad angry
Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by WISD(f): 11:21am On Apr 26, 2022
Very bad
Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by realstars: 11:42am On Apr 26, 2022
The davils electrical wire. May God recieve their souls.

1 Like

Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by Yommychrz(m): 11:54am On Apr 26, 2022
Which kind bad name be this

Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by Malocity(m): 12:02pm On Apr 26, 2022
chigoziri2403:
Why must Nigeria make use of overhead cables
Such occurrences are bound to occur
While growing up in festac, all wiring were All subsurface

Also ask, why do Nigerians build shops or place container under overhead cables? Knowing the risk.

Naija like drama.
Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by DarkCaesar(m): 12:06pm On Apr 26, 2022
What a tragedy cry
Re: Tragedy As Four Children Are Electrocuted In Ondo (photos) by Stanweezy(m): 5:16pm On Apr 26, 2022
It's very wrong and dangerous to have shop or building under high tension cable

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Man Butchered Christian Man For No Reasons / "I Will Die If I Reveal My Sponsors'— Suspect Arrested With AK-47, Body Bag / VIDEO: Little Girl Electrocuted By A Faulty Refrigerator At A Store

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.