Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust (21907 Views)

2023: What Jonathan’s Return Means For Nigeria / Amitolu Shittu: Lawmakers, Ex-governors Behind Illegal Mining In Osun / Bayelsa APC To Goodluck Jonathan: Return Our ₦300m, Bullet Proof Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by dre11(m): 7:55am On Apr 27, 2022
• Ayade meets Buhari, says ‘I’ll step down for ex-president’

• We’re waiting for final signal – Bayelsa elder

• Lawyers differ on legal obstacles

By Ismail Mudashir, John C. Azu, Abbas Jimoh, Muideen Olaniyi (Abuja) & Bassey Willie (Yenagoa)

Two influential governors from the northern part of the country are behind the return bid of former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, Daily Trust reliably gathered.

Multiple sources, who are in the know, said the two governors, close to President Muhammadu Buhari, have secured the buy-in of a section of the presidency to actualise their agenda of drafting the former president into the presidential race.

The sources mentioned the names of the governors but were withheld by this paper because our reporters were unable to get their reactions as they are out of the country.

While one of the governors is from the North West, the other is from the North East geopolitical zone.

The sources said the duo began the moves last year but that they jettisoned it to promote the candidature of the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele.

However, when the Emefiele’s project was not flying, the governors returned to the Jonathan bid.

The two governors have been playing key roles in the affairs of the APC in the last few years.

The former president had since keyed into the move as evident in his body language.

He had last week told some of his supporters who were insisting he should declare to “be on the watch”, a disposition political pundits described as acceptance.

It was learnt that the Bayelsa-born former president is now waiting for the appropriate time to join the ruling party and declare for the race.

President Buhari had defeated Jonathan in the 2015 general election, ending the 16 years of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the country.

In the last seven years, the former president has not been attending activities of his party. This is just as his romance with President Buhari and top shots of the ruling party takes the centre stage, a development that has pitched him against opposition leaders in the country.

The move to return Jonathan

One of our sources, a former governor said the two governors have reached out and sold the Jonathan project to the presidency.

“It is (withheld) that are behind it and they are promoting it to checkmate Asiwaju Tinubu when they discovered that the vice president does not possess the structures to put up a strong challenge,” he said.

Asked why the governors who are APC members are drafting the former president, he said, “They are doing it to advance their ambition. They want someone that would only be in power for a term. They also want him to pick one of them as running mate”.

An ally of the president, while corroborating the former governor’s statement, said the two governors brought the Jonathan project to advance their ‘’selfish interest.’’

But a source close to the former president claimed that Jonathan is being promoted by his successor.

“His number one backer is the president. Do you think he would start if he did not get the backing of Baba? He did not go and say I wanted to (vie for the presidency). He was asked to do so because they are more comfortable with him succeeding Buhari,” he said.

A former Chairman of the APC Elders Forum in Bayelsa State, Diekivie Ikiogha, said all is almost set for Jonathan’s exit from the PDP.

“His declaration would be based on an invitation by APC to come over and he is considering it. A lot of things have been done; the discussions are ongoing, so, he will be invited.

“We are persuading him and it is still going on, but I believe that he can yield to it. What I am telling you is that, when the platform is clear, he will contest. If it is clear, he will contest,” he said.

Also, a public affairs analyst, Mr David West, said though Jonathan had a few years ago announced that he was no longer interested in active politics, he has the constitutional right to contest for any office in the land.

He, however, stated that he doubts if Jonathan will perform better than he did during his first tenure. He said: “For me, it is his constitutional right to belong to any political party if he wants and if he wishes to contest for any political office in the country.

“I know if Jonathan is allowed to rule Nigeria again, he will not do more than four years tenure, because anything short of that will be a crisis.”

Ayade declares for presidency, pledges to step down for Jonathan

Governor of Cross River State, Professor Ben Ayade, has announced his intention to vie for the presidential ticket of the APC after informing President Buhari at the State House, Abuja.

He spoke on his ambition Tuesday after a closed-door meeting with the president.

Ayade, who said President Buhari advised him to do more consultation before declaring, added that he came to seek spiritual and political guidance from the president on who would take over from him come 2023 for the sake of continuity.

He, however, said he would step down if former President Jonathan is picked as the party’s consensus candidate.

“I have great respect for President Jonathan and so I have no challenges whatsoever. I believe that the party leadership will decide on the appropriate candidate that will take our party to victory.

“But at any point in time that the political leadership of my party, the APC feels that President Jonathan is the appropriate candidate that will take us to victory, I will turn my support for him,” he said.

Stakeholders reject plan to adopt Jonathan

The APC Presidential Support Group has said that the plan to adopt Jonathan as the APC presidential candidate for the 2023 election is a joke taken too far and unacceptable.

The Convener of the organisation, Mr Owolabi Dauda and Secretary, Abdullahi Bilal, told reporters on Tuesday in Abuja that adopting Jonathan by whoever is a disservice to the APC, especially that the importance of winning the 2023 presidential elections cannot be overemphasised, in the bid to ensure continuity in the laudable policies and initiatives of the APC led government in Nigeria.

“We are constrained to lend our voice to an ugly plot that is being hatched by some members of the APC concerning adopting former President Goodluck Jonathan as the presidential candidate of the party in the 2023 presidential election.

“By all stretch of the imagination, this plot is ill-timed and not in the party’s interest at large. Such a move implies that the party might be heading towards a resounding electoral defeat in the presidential election,” the group said.

Lawyers differ on Jonathan’s legal obstacles

Lawyers have disagreed with the move by Jonathan’s handlers to draft him into the 2023 presidential election, pointing to legal issues.

Reacting, Professor Paul Ananaba (SAN) said Jonathan is not qualified to run for the office of the president because the constitution does not envisage that any Nigerian will be in office for more than eight years under any circumstance.

“If you add the four years – the two years under Yar’adua, and another four years – it will be more than eight years,” he said.

Similarly, Buhari Yusuf said Jonathan is ineligible under the law saying the combined reading of sections 137(1)(b) and 182(1)(b) of the Nigerian Constitution, “Makes it practically impossible for someone who has taken the oath of office twice as president to come on the third one.”

According to him, “The fact that the president completed the first term of a demised president does not call you to read meaning into the section and I don’t think there is any manoeuvring space for somebody to escape.”

However, Murtala Abdulkareem (SAN) said the decision of the court in the case of Ayuba Sabo and Ahmed Abubakar vs Ibrahim Gaidam over the Yobe State governorship election of 2015 has resolved the issue.

“He (Jonathan) can contest, but if he takes the oath in 2023, he will not be eligible to contest afterward,” he said.

Similarly, Okonache Ogar Esq said Jonathan is only ineligible to seek a fresh term after the forthcoming election not before as the constitution set out to correct the existence of a vacuum in the event of incapacity or death of the governor or president with the availability of the deputy governor or the vice president.

https://dailytrust.com/apc-ticket-2-northern-govs-behind-jonathans-return-bid

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by flejnr2(f): 7:57am On Apr 27, 2022
Any candidate apart from Tinubu is ok for me in apc

118 Likes 16 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by OlawaleBammie: 7:59am On Apr 27, 2022
We know na, awon anikan jopon!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by OlawaleBammie: 8:01am On Apr 27, 2022
flejnr2:
A no dey even support any candidate, how i wished Nigeria can be re-ruled by the colonials for like 2decades, at least there would be great revamp cry
How i wished!!!

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by PrinceOfLagos: 8:02am On Apr 27, 2022
flejnr2:
Me too

I will vote Jonathan over corruption personified Tinubu

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by pinkPUSSY(f): 8:02am On Apr 27, 2022
How would South West cast their votes now if Jonathan get APC ticket and Obi get PDP ticket ?

grin grin cheesy grin

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Ttalk: 8:03am On Apr 27, 2022
Jonathan would be classify as the biggest foool of the century if he comes out to run in APC

118 Likes 16 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by PrinceOfLagos: 8:03am On Apr 27, 2022
OlawaleBammie:
A no dey even support any candidate, how i wished Nigeria can be re-ruled by the colonials for like 2decades, at least there would be great revamp cry
How i wished!!!
Tinubu will be far worse than buhari if he becomes president (God forbids)

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by PrinceOfLagos: 8:04am On Apr 27, 2022
Ttalk:
Jonathan would be classify as the biggest foool of the century if he comes out to run in APC
You dis Tinubu people and salty tears

Jonathan is more qualified than Ashiere Tinubu

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Ttalk: 8:04am On Apr 27, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Tinubu will be far worse than buhari is he becomes president (God forbids)

What is always wrong with you that you can't do without linking Tinubu to every issue. Is that how miserable your life has become

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Maxymilliano(m): 8:06am On Apr 27, 2022
Governor Abubakar Atiku Bagudu and Mai Mala Buni are the brain behind Goodluck Jonathan's return bid and unfortunately, more northern governors are likely to buy into it due to the prospect of power returning to the North after just four years.

It will be a sad commentary if GEJ should fall for the bait wink

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Ttalk: 8:06am On Apr 27, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

You dis Tinubu people and salty tears

Jonathan is more qualified than Ashiere Tinubu

He is more popular than Emeka Ihedioha you are following up and down.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by PrinceOfLagos: 8:07am On Apr 27, 2022
Ttalk:

What is always wrong with you that you can't do without linking Tinubu to every issue. Is that how miserable your life has become
The only people crying about jonathan ticket are Tinubu slaves because in there mind, GEJ joining APC means the end of the road for Tinubu ambition for 2023 but, Jonathan will decamp to APC wether Tinubu and his urchins like it or not

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Jack005(m): 8:08am On Apr 27, 2022
Time will tell. Almost everyday Jonathan this or that... But if this happens, then give it to the northerners because they know how to play politics.. I wonder how Tinubu and Ameachi will react to this.. After all their efforts and resources, buhari paid us this way? Lol.. I go laugh tire grin grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by flejnr2(f): 8:08am On Apr 27, 2022
Ttalk:

If u are not a tinubufied person how did you now know he links words to Tinubu grin grin grin shocked

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by PrinceOfLagos: 8:09am On Apr 27, 2022
Ttalk:

He is more popular than Emeka Ihedioha you are following up and down.
Oga leave emeka ihedioha and face what's facing you

Buhari will not endorse Tinubu for 2023

10 Likes

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Padipadi(m): 8:09am On Apr 27, 2022
Failed attempts. Those govs should be jailed n impeached. Idio ts that demarketed GEJ now trying to sell him back. What good thing v they found in him except northern agenda of power return after 4 years.
Are we all dumbo's in Nigeria?
No be we masses go vote?
When we voted out GEJ do they think it's their campaign, bad belle or we made mistake?
May all bad politicians perish, amen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Mooh247: 8:10am On Apr 27, 2022
cool

Two foolish Northern Governors backed by retarded Malamii you mean

This idiots without Political exposure just rode on Sai Baba 2015 and Jagaban wave and now they think they are top shot

Imagine Bagudu that has a case with USA, and Malami that has never one a court case in recent years or Garba Shehu who was Atiku's house boy now forming Cabal and Aisha Buhari from Za Oza Room

112 Likes

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Ttalk: 8:10am On Apr 27, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Me too

I will vote Jonathan over corruption personified Tinubu

No plan, no strategy and no hope.
From Atiku to Peter Obi to Onu to Amaechi to Umahi and now Jonathan. Very unstable set of people that would end up with nothing.
Your wailing will be more refreshing in 2023

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by PrinceOfLagos: 8:11am On Apr 27, 2022
flejnr2:

If u are not a tinubufied person how did you now know he links words to Tinubu grin grin grin shocked
I know this Tinubu slaves very well, they are the ones crying all over the place over Jonathan cross carpeting to APC because they know that if that happens , it will be end of the road for Tinubu ambition grin

8 Likes

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Osaremwantaelvi(m): 8:11am On Apr 27, 2022
The north are looking to cling back power after 1 tenure because Jonathan cant rule more than 4 years.

If Jonathan context he would be just another fool

3 Likes

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Ttalk: 8:11am On Apr 27, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Oga leave emeka ihedioha and face what's facing you

Buhari will not endorse Tinubu for 2023

Obi Pandora is my candidate

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by OlawaleBammie: 8:15am On Apr 27, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Tinubu will be far worse than buhari is he becomes president (God forbids)
my fear is that if he eventually becomes the president, what are we going to do?? Just tired of Nigeria aswear, and the worst is that our vote does not count, it doesn't.

1 Like

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by MrPADDY(m): 8:15am On Apr 27, 2022
dre11:

"They also want him to pick one of them as running mate”.
Politics of personal interest has destroyed our country.
Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Ttalk: 8:15am On Apr 27, 2022
flejnr2:

Shebi you are blind you cant see his comment above

38 Likes

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Truthisunique2: 8:17am On Apr 27, 2022
Jack005:
Time will tell. Almost everyday Jonathan this or that... But if this happens, then give it to the northerners because they know how to play politics.. I wonder how Tinubu and Ameachi will react to this.. After all their efforts and resources, buhari paid us this way? Lol.. I go laugh tire grin grin grin
amaechi and gej na brothers they would resolve

But tilumbu would be the biggest fool because he was the one selling the gej is clueless with Ibadan media

His reputation would be trash

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by southsouthking(m): 8:20am On Apr 27, 2022
The day oga jonoh go scumble on this greedy people mantra, that day he go lose the respect i get for him.

Give an igbo man the presidency slot, it's their turn to rule this country.

Before you start to dey quote me, I'm from Edo state.

2 Likes

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Roddyricch25: 8:20am On Apr 27, 2022
Tinubu will never be and can never be Nigeria president know this and know peace grin

3 Likes

Re: APC Ticket: 2 Northern Governors Behind Jonathan’s Return Bid - Daily Trust by Okhuadams(m): 8:20am On Apr 27, 2022
dre11:

• Ayade meets Buhari, says ‘I’ll step down for ex-president’

• We’re waiting for final signal – Bayelsa elder

• Lawyers differ on legal obstacles

https://dailytrust.com/apc-ticket-2-northern-govs-behind-jonathans-return-bid
Oga jona just respect urself and stay ur Lane.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"You Lack Knowledge Of Security Matters" - DSS Carpets Osita Chidoka / Tinubu: Nigerians Shouldn’t Give Up On APC, We Will Do Better / Death Threats Won’t Deter Me - REC, Olusegun Agbaje Warns Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.