Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,361 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! (2396 Views)

My Mum Bullying My Dad Is Getting Out Of Hand!!! / My 85-Year-Old Dad Is Cheating On My Mom / Lady Justifies Why Her Dad Is Married To 6 Wives, Says He Is Too Cute (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by bigpicture001: 8:02am On Apr 28, 2022
... if you are Igbo , you would havve. Been accustomed. To the age grade system inso many local community...

I have all my life. In the city and have never been accustomed to group gatherings in the village locality.. I love my culture don't get me wrong.. but recently my dad called and told me I have. Come of age and have already missed being enlisted in the local village age group settings.. He insisted I should. Be enlisted lest I am not a full son of the soil..

I have been reluctant about this for no good reason .. I don't even know the benefit of being enlisted in a far away village age grade group.. he has change hiss counternace towards me and now refers to me as "efulefu"..

I strongly believe my Dad is stuck in the 60's can't can't see that this group have no use in the modern society... A small inquiry I made about being enlisted also discouraged me as I was told to pay 70k for late enlistment..

Plz room do you guyz think it is worth it..?
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by MadamVanessa(f): 8:04am On Apr 28, 2022
shocked

Your dad as an old man is smarter than you are. My Friend go to your village and do the needful. Tomorrow now you'll come out and say you want to contest let the same Village you despised so much support you.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Kriss216: 8:04am On Apr 28, 2022
You should be glad you have a father who want to set you up as a true African child.

Age grade is our culture. It's essential you identify with your people.

Echi dì ìme. You will need the support of your age grade tomorrow. Be wise and do the right thing.

God bless your father massively for me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Anieke77(m): 8:12am On Apr 28, 2022
Don't call it cult its age grade

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Cheq40: 8:18am On Apr 28, 2022
WEYTIN PUPSMAN SITDOWN SEE,EVEN IF DEM GIVE U LADDER CLIMB IROKO TREE... if u know u know

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by habsydiamond(m): 8:20am On Apr 28, 2022
There is a saying that what the elder will see while sitting down the young won't see it even on a ladder... Ur father wants u to have a collaboration with ur age grades incase of future interest in politics.. This wl even make people to know u more that u are a bona-fide member of the said community.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Gentlerespect76: 8:25am On Apr 28, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Your dad as an old man is smarter than you are. My Friend go to your village and do the needful. Tomorrow now you'll come out and say you want to contest let the same Village you despised so much support you.
Exactly; chaaii, I pity this guy's ignorance so so much.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by yanabasee(m): 8:48am On Apr 28, 2022
I wish I had a father like yours ...

The country, you need to protect yourself.... Ritualists everywhere, police brutality on a daily and your father wants you to get belonged and be able to protect yourself....

Ahhhhhh.... If the protection strong gan... I will just stay on a low and have you come look for my trouble .. then you go see shege ..
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by AK6464(m): 8:55am On Apr 28, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Just to add, let what is for ceaser be given to ceaser, it is called wisdom

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 28, 2022
It is very helpful sir,your contributions is used to develope various areas in your community,in times of need they come to your aid and make you have facilities like mattress,pots,wheel barrows etc...i saw all of these when i was in the village if you are smart you will use it as an oppurtunity to build and complete house or work projects,the only disadvantage is that it breeds hatred,jealousy and envy amongst some people therefore watch whatever you eat or drink but nevertheless it will benefit you especially now that you are alive.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Ibechris2: 9:19am On Apr 28, 2022
Age grade association is never a cult Mr man.

I wonder where u got that one from.

U are only giving it a bad name just to curry favour.

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by ambient: 9:53am On Apr 28, 2022
How can you say such? Your indeed an efuleu, I fuo la.

Age grade group is the best thing that would happen to a young man,you will know your root associate with your people etc,when I have time I would list a lot of benefits
I am even trying to register my boys.i love tradition.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by JONNYSPUTE(m): 9:54am On Apr 28, 2022
.... Op you are definitely not well.
Age grade is not a secret cult but rather an association.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by MAGG0T(m): 10:07am On Apr 28, 2022
smiley

A foolish child who probably live in slum somewhere in the city, trying to claim ajebor and disregard his tradition

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Mindlog: 10:07am On Apr 28, 2022
It is not a cult! I am also igbo, born and raised in Lagos, I and my siblings all belong to our appropriate age grade groups.

It is an association of those born within a given range of years. In my community, both males and females start out in the age grade groups till the females marry and leave home but still regards each other as age mates.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Samfloxin(m): 10:39am On Apr 28, 2022
Age grade is not a cult

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by BobbieZion(m): 10:52am On Apr 28, 2022
Not been disrespectful, sometimes we can be rebellious.....

A Man has freedom of association, wether to join or not to join.
Under no circumstance should you go against your wish under duress.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Richy4(m): 11:14am On Apr 28, 2022
cheesy cheesy
Is it because your dad was forcing you to join your community age grade meeting that made you see the pressure equivalent to campus Cult pressure...has he flogged or beaten you yet just to prove how serious he is? grin cheesy
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Preciousppearl(f): 2:08pm On Apr 28, 2022
yanabasee:

The country, you need to protect yourself.... Ritualists everywhere, police brutality on a daily and your father wants you to get belonged and be able to protect yourself....

Ahhhhhh.... If the protection strong gan... I will just stay on a low and have you come look for my trouble .. then you go see shege ..
all what u wrote isn't what age grade is about.
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by BKayy: 2:47pm On Apr 28, 2022
Mr OP, I will be honest with you, you are truly an Efulefu. Infact, Efulefu of the highest order.

And to think that Efulefus like you people are the ones crawling around on Social media attacking Igbo customs and traditions is what baffles me.

Let me tell you another truth, If you die today, the injury of a cockroach will be felt more in your hometown than your demise because nobody knows that you exist. Not even your ancestors

Efulefu simply means "lost soul" and you are lost. Deal with it. Accept it and cherish it.

EFULEFU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Mariangeles(f): 3:02pm On Apr 28, 2022
O kacha a mara and nairaland has ruined op. cheesy
I kpoputara nna gi, si ndi di ka gi kpogbuo ya n'obe okwaya?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Iykmann(m): 3:08pm On Apr 28, 2022
Your father was right to call you efulefu. you talk and sound like one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by naija4life247: 5:52pm On Apr 28, 2022
God forbids
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by naija4life247: 5:55pm On Apr 28, 2022
yanabasee:

I am sorry for cultist minded ignoramus like you.
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by naija4life247: 6:05pm On Apr 28, 2022
AK6464:

Just to add, let what is for ceaser be given to ceaser, it is called wisdom

Are you people Christians or Traditionalists?
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by chukkystar(m): 8:43pm On Apr 28, 2022
You can enlist, You don't need to go for meetings. All You need do is anytime they are Contributing and You have money, Contribute. It's good for identity sake, You can't tell Tomorrow and once You have an occasion, they contribute for U. If the fees are beyond You, wait till You have the money then register. It's not a do or die. If You are the type that likes being to Yourself just register and rest, nobody go disturb You.
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Ulunne777(f): 9:52pm On Apr 28, 2022
Taaaa!
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by drmikeadams(m): 9:56pm On Apr 28, 2022
all these una useless tradition.....age grade that will frustrate u when u want to bury ur father, abi elders that will give u bill and tell u how many cows u will kill for the villagers, abi church that will tell u the deceased was owing them..yet no body wil ask how the children of the deceased are faring.....fucck u all with ur useless tradition......bunch of extortionist grin ndi aruru ala

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 28, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

There was no where in the write up where the op claimed to despise his village.!

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by SHINJA: 11:58pm On Apr 28, 2022
Any ipob cult group in the east,don't join that group

I have a frd who joined that group ,he now feed on human flesh..

Be very careful...

God bless southsouth and southwest..
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by Ilamina(f): 12:35am On Apr 29, 2022
shocked shocked
Re: My Dad Is Is Luring Me Into The Age Grade Cult! by frozen70(f): 5:03am On Apr 29, 2022
bigpicture001:
... if you are Igbo , you would havve. Been accustomed. To the age grade system inso many local community...

I have all my life. In the city and have never been accustomed to group gatherings in the village locality.. I love my culture don't get me wrong.. but recently my dad called and told me I have. Come of age and have already missed being enlisted in the local village age group settings.. He insisted I should. Be enlisted lest I am not a full son of the soil..

I have been reluctant about this for no good reason .. I don't even know the benefit of being enlisted in a far away village age grade group.. he has change hiss counternace towards me and now refers to me as "efulefu"..

I strongly believe my Dad is stuck in the 60's can't can't see that this group have no use in the modern society... A small inquiry I made about being enlisted also discouraged me as I was told to pay 70k for late enlistment..

Plz room do you guyz think it is worth it..?

I am Ibo and what your dad is requesting from you is normal and not a cult related issue as you peg it

Age grade means being at per with people born within age year and as an Ibo son you have to be identified with your age mates

The 70k fine levied on you was because you didn't join when your mates are joining and they have to calculate the total monthly dues your mates have been paying.

It's a way of bringing the kins men together and fustering relationships among kins men of a particular clan

Failing to join them as a man, non of your mates will follow you to go and marry because you don't want to identify with them

If your dad dies, non of them will attend his burial ceremony talk more of involving themselves with the burial activities.

If you any thing happens to you, they are not interested and Wil never be interested even if its death

So if you are satisfied with the above, give your dad his respect by joining your age group and stop the Shame and embracement his people are giving him because of you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Be A Man / How Do You Handle S*xual Harassment By Your In-laws? / 12 Points For All Wives And Intending Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.