Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? (10831 Views)

Money Ritual Theory. Is The Money Involved Printed By CBN? / Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? / Where Is The 'naira' Note Printed? In Nigeria or Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by adeibi: 4:17am On Jul 31, 2011
Great contributions from you all.
I didn't know that printing money for projects & development will one way or the other eventually lead to inflation.
Thanks for teaching me that but according to OYINBOGOJU, Japan and Qatar did that, have their economies been inflated by so doing?
Will like to read more comments
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by rhymz(m): 4:31am On Jul 31, 2011
Well, I want to disagree a little that printing money will always lead inevitably to inflation. I believe there are cases where governments have printed their way out of economic recession and its likes- the big US bailout comes to mind. I think the problem lies with the fact that we do not have the expertise, economic mechanisms & reach to checkmate any adverse effect occassioned by doing so.
I have always asked too in thesame breath like the op, what if a country prints its own money and use it to buy goods and make debt payment outside of her country so that the brunt of inflation, currency devaluation etc will be borne by the other countries who have accepted to do business with the printing country. Afterall, how do you tell the difference that monies being used for transactions between countries are a deriative of wealth creation and not just printed money.nd not just printed money.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by dramenda(f): 4:36am On Jul 31, 2011
The y.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by Digriz(m): 5:12am On Jul 31, 2011
proO1:

@ Adeibi, lol. For a long while I also wondered why some countries were rich and some poor. I wondered why governments couldn't just print as much money as possible to bridge the gap! But then. . . .

Seun has done a good job in breaking it down with ingenius simplicity and clarity. It is clear enough. But then a few grey areas remain. . .

One angle that I have not yet figured out is the extent to which printing excess money (in itself) can actually cause hyper-inflation if such excess cash is not directly released into the economy (though increased salaries, cash handouts to citizens, etc,). This is especially so in the increasingly integrated global economy that characterizes the new world order. For instance, if government simply prints excess cash and strictly uses such cash to fund key infrastructure projects such as massive road construction and power supply (especially with imported materials, labout and foreign contractors that would repatriate the project funds to their home countries), then to what extent can such printing of excess money result in inflation in the local economy - since such cash was not directly injected into the economy? ? ? I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say. I would really appreciate explanations for this:

Why can't government simply print 10 trillion naira in cash to, for instance, build a national rail system and reconstruct the entire power infrastructure using foreign contractors? Since such cash would not be directly injected into the economy, would it also cause hyper-inflation? How? I apologize for my ignorance in advance.

Those foreign companies wl never accept naira for their business transaction wt d government, u hv to pay them in dollars and printing a lot of naira wl mean lots of naira chasing a few dollar and the naira wld be worthless.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by 2bosun: 7:03am On Jul 31, 2011
adeibi:

Great contributions from you all.
I didn't know that printing money for projects & development will one way or the other eventually lead to inflation.
Thanks for teaching me that but according to OYINBOGOJU, Japan and Qatar did that, have their economies been inflated by so doing?
Will like to read more comments

Japan and Qatar printed money and YES, it did lead to inflation but the difference was that their inflation was (-2% (deflation) in Japan), so they had to print money to up the inflation and keep their economy competitive. In the case of Qatar, they still have deflation (-4%), so they are still printing money to develop their economy as you can see with their recently won world cup bid.

It is also important to note that the import-export ratio also plays an important factor in all this. Simply put, export more and you have more room to manoeuvre the QE (printing money), and vice versa.

Nigeria imports basically everything! and exports basically one thing. Inflation is already 12%, unemployment, interest rates and all those indices are all pointing in the wrong direction. It would economic suicide to print N1000 notes and give to everyone. Capiche?
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by marcus1234: 7:13am On Jul 31, 2011
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by 2bosun: 7:17am On Jul 31, 2011
rhymz:

Well, I want to disagree a little that printing money will always lead inevitably to inflation. I believe there are cases where governments have printed their way out of economic recession and its likes- the big US bailout comes to mind. I think the problem lies with the fact that we do not have the expertise, economic mechanisms & reach to checkmate any adverse effect occassioned by doing so.
I have always asked too in thesame breath like the op, what if a country prints its own money and use it to buy goods and make debt payment outside of her country so that the brunt of inflation, currency devaluation etc will be borne by the other countries who have accepted to do business with the printing country. Afterall, how do you tell the difference that monies being used for transactions between countries are a deriative of wealth creation and not just printed money.nd not just printed money.

You are right and wrong. Printing money will almost always lead to inflation. It did in the U.S but they have other levers to pull to rein inflation e.g increasing taxes, cutting government spending etc.
Printing any currency would devalue that currency not another country's currency. What planet are you on? It's like saying printing dollar would devalue the Naira. The printed money would still find its way back into the home country.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:22am On Jul 31, 2011
Thank to all the great minds that have said something after all but rather than hit the nail on the head a lot of people are depending on 1 theorem by 1 Oyinbo to undermine our development.

As for me, i speak based on fact and vivid examples

1, Nigeria have a vision 2015 but later changed to Vision 2020

how do we hope to achieve this?

Possible answer

We are waiting for Dangote  to crash the price of cement before we can all have houses on our head.

My thought

I guess the Government owe us the responsibility to provide us accommodation, is that not part of vision 2020

How do we achieve vision 2020 when we are still waiting for Mr. Dangote before we could start laying the foundation of our dreamed home.

In Japan

I can confidently tell you that the government put up every great building like it is done in America,so that they can fulfilled their dream and not waiting for anybody.

Yes vision 2020 but no jobs

Sanusi is busy with Islamic Banking to landmark his great achievement

Is that the only system that can eradicate poverty.

In China

Banks owe the people responsibility to finance every great idea.

We do have this ideas in Nigeria but how has anyone fulfilled the idea, since the our banks are not corporative.

They only borrow the rich more money, Imagine people like Bankole getting big loan worth 10Billion to finance the increase salary of their staff

I am tired of talking about God barons Pastor living like Drug barons, all because the congregation are waiting for God to Print more money for us when it can be done over there in ABUJA.

IN JAPAN

The homeless have the right to walk into any eatery and get whatever they want to eat

In what way has Government done anything in the interest of the Masses.

Don`t give me money
I don`t need free Education
I don`t need free Electricity
I don`t need free Water
I don`t need free road

BUT let the government print more money to
Develop new road and not give it to babalakin and co.
Let the Government print more money to equip our school from Nursery to University and let see if people won`t pay to go there
Let the government provide more money to make stable power supple and lets see if people won`t pay their bills monthly
Let the Government provide us with clean water and lets see if the Citizen will not stop dyeing of Cholera

NB

I heard only 2 or 3 teaching hospitals have MRI SCAN in Nigeria, Why cant government print more money to buy them and put them in all hospital when
Ordinary clinic in Japan can boast of atleast ONE MRI SCAN.

STOP GIVING FREE GIFTS OH DEAR RULERS

PRINT MORE MONEY TO FULFILL YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES.

YOU OWE THE CITIZENS GREAT THINGS OF LIFE AND IT CAN ONLY BE DONE BY PRINTING MORE MONEY AND USED IT JUDICIOUSLY  

MY QUESTION  WHY DO WE WAIT ON GOD TO PROVIDE US WITH GREAT THINGS OF LIFE,WHEN OUR DEAR GOVERNMENT  CAN PRINT MORE MONEY TO FULFILL OUR LONG LONG TIME DREAM.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by 2bosun: 7:34am On Jul 31, 2011
OYINBOGOJU:

Thank to all the great minds that have said something after all but rather than hit the nail on the head a lot of people are depending on 1 theorem by 1 Oyinbo to undermine our development.

Possible answer

We are waiting for Dangote  to crash the price of cement before we can all have houses on our head.

My thought

I guess the Government owe us the responsibility to provide us accommodation, is that not part of vision 2020

How do we achieve vision 2020 when we are still waiting for Mr. Dangote before we could start laying the foundation of our dreamed home.

In Japan

I can confidently tell you that the government put up every great building like it is done in America,so that they can fulfilled their dream and not waiting for anybody.

In China

We do have this ideas in Nigeria but how has anyone fulfilled the idea, since the our banks are not corporative.

They only borrow the rich more money, Imagine people like Bankole getting big loan worth 10Billion to finance the increase salary of their staff

I am tired of talking about God barons Pastor living like Drug barons, all because the congregation are waiting for God to Print more money for us when it can be done over there in ABUJA.

IN JAPAN

The homeless have the right to walk into any eatery and get whatever they want to eat

Don`t give me money
I don`t need free Water
I don`t need free road

Let the Government print more money to equip our school from Nursery to University and let see if people won`t pay to go there
Let the government provide more money to make stable power supple and lets see if people won`t pay their bills monthly
Let the Government provide us with clean water and lets see if the Citizen will not stop dyeing of Cholera

NB

I heard only 2 or 3 teaching hospitals have MRI SCAN in Nigeria, Why cant government print more money to buy them and put them in all hospital when

YOU OWE THE CITIZENS GREAT THINGS OF LIFE AND IT CAN ONLY BE DONE BY PRINTING MORE MONEY AND USED IT JUDICIOUSLY  

MY QUESTION  WHY DO WE WAIT ON GOD TO PROVIDE US WITH GREAT THINGS OF LIFE,WHEN OUR DEAR GOVERNMENT  CAN PRINT MORE MONEY TO FULFILL OUR LONG LONG TIME DREAM.

There is more than enough money as is to go round my brother. All the money ends up in the hands of Bank-ole and co. So even if they print the money, what are the chances that the common man would smell any development? I'd say the chances are slim- What you need to ramble about is that your government should have some fear of God and release some of that money they stash abroad. Printing more money would be a lazy solution to a much more complex problem.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by member479760: 7:37am On Jul 31, 2011
naira na paper, internationally u cant use it to settle anything. if Sanusi starts the chicken business and Fashola rice business then we have chicken and rice, we can exchange it for hard money, then in-turn use the hard money to buy tractors, use it to repair the bad roads etc.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by rhymz(m): 7:42am On Jul 31, 2011
I would be grateful if any one had any
thoughts on the following question.
I understant that if a government
were to print more money and
circulate it into its own economy, that
this would inevitably lead to increased
inflation in its country. Sound
argument for not printing more
money.
But why would a country not print
more money to purchase from other
countries (e.g. to repay debt or to
purchase raw materials). Wouldn’t the
extra money then simply be dumped
into the other country, leading to
higher inflation in that country and not
your own? Or perhaps is the answer
that in dumping the extra money
overseas, you are indirectly creating
more money in your own territory?
Maybe a naive question but I would
love to have a good answer to it!
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by 2bosun: 7:50am On Jul 31, 2011
rhymz:

money.

You've answered the question, as international a currency as the dollar is- if it's printed to pay debts in other countries etc. It will still find it's way back into the home country. You can't "dump" money abroad, dollars are useless in China etc., so they just return the money for goods/services in America where it's a legal tender. Inflation is only when you have your own currency chasing your own goods and services, another man's currency can't pay for your goods in your country.

Let's not even go near the Naira because the Naira is barely recognizable beyond the boundaries of Nigeria- so you can't use it to pay for anything beyond Nigeria. I hope it helps, maybe a real economist could help me out here?
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:53am On Jul 31, 2011
2bosun:

There is more than enough money as is to go round my brother. All the money ends up in the hands of Bank-ole and co. So even if they print the money, what are the chances that the common man would smell any development? I'd say the chances are slim- What you need to ramble about is that your government should have some fear of God and release some of that money they stash abroad. Printing more money would be a lazy solution to a much more complex problem.

That is on the part of the rulers to decide.

Didn`t they print more money to develop ABUJA? or was it given to Private sector to develop

Why can`t they develop other cities like that, or it is an offense?

It is government responsibility to print and make sure it is used to its specific purpose.

Let us stop putting our development at the hand of private sector.

Hong Kong government built one of the best airport in the world,

But here in NIgeria, the small local airport that was built by Babalakin and co. charges exorbitant fees for nothing.    That is RIP OFF

Government owe us the  great deals of life, like infrastructure
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:59am On Jul 31, 2011
2bosun:

You've answered the question, as international a currency as the dollar is- if it's printed to pay debts in other countries etc. It will still find it's way back into the home country. You can't "dump" money abroad, dollars are useless in China etc., so they just return the money for goods/services in America where it's a legal tender. Inflation is only when you have your own currency chasing your own goods and services, another man's currency can't pay for your goods in your country.

Let's not even go near the Naira because the Naira is barely recognizable beyond the boundaries of Nigeria. I hope it helps, maybe a real economist could help me out here?

Was it not the same Naira that was used to develop Abuja?
Was it not the same naira that was used to develop Lagos when the capital was moved here?
Was it not not REMEBI China currency that is used to develop China
Was it not same Yen in Japan that is used to develop Japan

Print more Naira, Get local contractors and Pay them In the same Naira and lets see of the work will not be done.

Moreover  China have their reserved in USD worth 1.5trillion usd  why are they not depending on it like we clamor for it here?

MY ADVISE USE WHAT YOU HAVE TO GET WHAT YOU WANT
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by rhymz(m): 8:04am On Jul 31, 2011
This explanation completely ignores
the fact that when the government
“borrows” money from the Central
Bank that’s exactly what it does. It
creates the money out of thin air and
gives it to the government to spend in
exchange for Government debt (i.e.
IOU’s).
Not only that, but through the process
of fractional reserve banking private
banks use the Central Bank’s “new
money” as the basis for increasing the
money supply by an additional 1,000%
(10X) through private lending.
Adding insult to injury, not only does
the current system multiply the
inflationary impact of government
deficit spending (10X as much as if the
government had simply been honest
and printed the money itself), but it
also requires the government to levy
additional taxes on our children to
“repay” the principal and interest on
the original “loan”.
The fact is, if the government cut out
the middleman and used seignorage
(i.e. the government’s power to levy an
indirect tax on its citizens by simply
printing more money) we would all be
much better off (at the expense of the
bankers).
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:15am On Jul 31, 2011
rhymz:

This explanation completely ignores
the fact that when the government
“borrows” money from the Central
Bank that’s exactly what it does. It
creates the money out of thin air and
gives it to the government to spend in
exchange for Government debt (i.e.
IOU’s).
Not only that, but through the process
of fractional reserve banking private
banks use the Central Bank’s “new
money” as the basis for increasing the
money supply by an additional 1,000%
(10X) through private lending.
Adding insult to injury, not only does
the current system multiply the
inflationary impact of government
deficit spending (10X as much as if the
government had simply been honest
and printed the money itself), but it
also requires the government to levy
additional taxes on our children to
“repay” the principal and interest on
the original “loan”.
The fact is, if the government cut out
the middleman and used seignorage
(i.e. the government’s power to levy an
indirect tax on its citizens by simply
printing more money) we would all be
much better off (at the expense of the
bankers).

Can you please tell me why the government didn`t calculate the inflation extent when they printed more money to develop Abuja?

Or they didn`t realise all those calculations you put up there at that time.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:19am On Jul 31, 2011
Japanese government is coughing out 40billion usd to develop areas spoilt by Tsunami.

Didn`t they realize all those inflation and calculation you put there or its only we Nigerians knows those theorem?
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by deenee: 8:25am On Jul 31, 2011
When money is printed without any real economic activity attached to it (real production that will create sustainable jobs and add to the growth of the economy), it becomes greatly devalued.

For the poster,the main issue should be how, the Govt of the day can ensure that the 20k earned has real value?

Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 31, 2011
Digriz:

Those foreign companies wl never accept naira for their business transaction wt d government, u hv to pay them in dollars and printing a lot of naira will mean lots of naira chasing a few dollar and the naira wld be worthless.

Thanks a lot. I believe this explains it. From all indications, the same principle holds true no matter how one looks at it: too much money chasing too few items would ALWAYS result in a devaluation of the money and cause inflation. . .even if the item being chased is a foreign currency like the dollar.

It therefore seems that the only solution is for countries to be productive. Any wonder, then, that industrialization is almost always synonymous with wealth? The most industrialized countries are almost always the richest - in terms of GDP at least (I think Adam Smith discusses this in his classic work, The Wealth of Nations). And in the context of the great explanations you guys have made here, it is all very clear now.

Unfortunately, any hope of industrialization for Nigeria seems far-fetched. And considering the size of our population, there is little hope that an over-reliance on oil revenues would have the same kind of positive effects it has on tiny sheikhdoms like Qatar, Kuwait, Brunei etc. Even if governments in Nigeria suddenly stop being corrupt and decide to put the oil money to good use, it would still take a while to bring about the industrialization that would increase productive capacity and create real wealth. However, since our governments have no immediate plans to eschew corruption, and since there are no viable short-cuts (e.g. Printing more cash), I guess national wealth would remain a mirage for Nigeria. Trouble.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by unphilaz(m): 8:32am On Jul 31, 2011
nice discuss. the thread is divided into dont print more money which will lead 2 inflation VS print more money 4 development and use the benefit to reduce inflation. i think the latter should be considered.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by Sike(m): 9:22am On Jul 31, 2011
OYINBOGOJU:

Possible answer

My thought

In Japan

In China

IN JAPAN

Don`t give me money
I don`t need free Water
I don`t need free road

NB

Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by kulutempa: 10:06am On Jul 31, 2011
proO1:

Thanks a lot. I believe this explains it. From all indications, the same principle holds true no matter how one looks at it: too much money chasing too few items would ALWAYS result in a devaluation of the money and cause inflation. . .even if the item being chased is a foreign currency like the dollar.

It therefore seems that the only solution is for countries to be productive. Any wonder, then, that industrialization is almost always synonymous with wealth? The most industrialized countries are almost always the richest - in terms of GDP at least (I think Adam Smith discusses this in his classic work, The Wealth of Nations). And in the context of the great explanations you guys have made here, it is all very clear now.

Unfortunately, any hope of industrialization for Nigeria seems far-fetched. And considering the size of our population, there is little hope that an over-reliance on oil revenues would have the same kind of positive effects it has on tiny sheikhdoms like Qatar, Kuwait, Brunei etc. Even if governments in Nigeria suddenly stop being corrupt and decide to put the oil money to good use, it would still take a while to bring about the industrialization that would increase productive capacity and create real wealth. However, since our governments have no immediate plans to eschew corruption, and since there are no viable short-cuts (e.g. Printing more cash), I guess national wealth would remain a mirage for Nigeria. Trouble.

Absolutely correct.  I have always believed that one of the worst things that happened to Nigeria was the oil boom.  It made us lazy and unproductive and turned us into net importers and consumers of foreign goods, and foodstuffs which we used to produce.  One of the the key factors behind developed economies with strong currencies is a concept known as "value added".  They take a basic commodity  like iron ore and process it into steel which they then sell and export at a much higher price.   That is also the major problem with the Nigerian economy: we add very little economic value  and depend on a basic volatile commodity which we export in return for higher priced valued added imports.   As such we fritter away our valuable foreign reserves and  borrow to make up for budget deficits in the hope that we would somehow find the money to make up the difference in the future.   At current oil benchmark prices,  Nigeria earns at least $125 million every day from crude oil sales but we are still in a mess because most of the money is either stolen by  predatory and corrupt leaders  or  spent on recurrent expenditure like public sector wages and petroleum  subsidies, instead of capital projects like power generation and road and rail infrastructure which could improve our productive capacity and lower our manufacturing costs.   In the meantime our population is growing every year and there are not enough jobs being created in our economy.  Since printing money is a non starter, can anybody guess where we are likely to end up if we continue on the same path?
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by ayinba1(f): 10:11am On Jul 31, 2011
Very great discussion.

Print money? Very bazaar idea because you and I know whose pockets it will fill up

Use the money that is already available? Now we are talking!

Don't keep waiting for God, He has equipped you. Hold your leaders accountable!
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by Claus(m): 12:00pm On Jul 31, 2011
Economics should be compulsory up to SSCE level.

Great to see some of the explanations on here. Although I'm alarmed at the understanding of Economics here, I'm glad people are bold enough to ask questions and humble enough to listen to the answers.

As someone showed before, any extra money printed will find its way into the economy. Inflation occurs when too much money chases too few goods.

A simple economy that has just 10 cows and money supply of N100, would have the cost of each cow at about N10. Increase the money supply to N1,000 without having produced any more cows and you get the price of cow shooting up to N100 each. Hence the inflation. The exact mechanics of how this price increase works in a complex economy can be complicated.

With regards to printing more money to pay off foreign debt. Even if the foreign creditors will accept Naira, the value of Naira is based on the demand and supply of other currencies relative to the Naira. For example if Nigeria increase its money supply, more people have Naira and they will use some of this Naira to try to buy pounds. The demand for pounds relative to Naira increases. This increases the value of pounds and reduces the value of the Naira. We then need more and more Naira to buy the same amount of pounds, thereby defeating the whole purpose.

In a global economy where information travels fast, a huge demand for pounds from Naira holders can change the exchange rate within hours.

Hope that has helped.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by kulutempa: 12:32pm On Jul 31, 2011
Claus:

Economics should be compulsory up to SSCE level.

Great to see some of the explanations on here. Although I'm alarmed at the understanding of Economics here, I'm glad people are bold enough to ask questions and humble enough to listen to the answers.

As someone showed before, any extra money printed will find its way into the economy. Inflation occurs when too much money chases too few goods.

A simple economy that has just 10 cows and money supply of N100, would have the cost of each cow at about N10. Increase the money supply to N1,000 without having produced any more cows and you get the price of cow shooting up to N100 each. Hence the inflation. The exact mechanics of how this price increase works in a complex economy can be complicated.

With regards to printing more money to pay off foreign debt. Even if the foreign creditors will accept Naira, the value of Naira is based on the demand and supply of other currencies relative to the Naira. For example if Nigeria increase its money supply, more people have Naira and they will use some of this Naira to try to buy pounds. The demand for pounds relative to Naira increases. This increases the value of pounds and reduces the value of the Naira. We then need more and more Naira to buy the same amount of pounds, thereby defeating the whole purpose.

In a global economy where information travels fast, a huge demand for pounds from Naira holders can change the exchange rate within hours.

Hope that has helped.

@Claus, that was indeed helpful.  At the end of the day, money is nothing but a store of value.   The only reason why it was invented was for convenience, and not to replace whatever goods and services people were producing and exchanging with each other beforehand, by way of barter.  That is why people sooner or later  lose confidence in a currency that is being printed by a government without anything to back it except the printing machine.  At the end of the day, any unit of  currency is only as good and strong as the real wealth being created in the country with that currency, and real wealth is created by the productive effort of using ones brains and hands, not by printing money or relying on a depleting natural resource like crude oil, the price for which can crash within a short period of time.   This was in fact the main reason why the Nigerian economy collapsed in the 1980s and 1990s and the value of the naira plummeted relative to other currencies like the pound sterling and the US dollar.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by adeibi: 1:28pm On Jul 31, 2011
Claus:

For example if Nigeria increase its money supply, more people have Naira and they will use some of this Naira to try to buy pounds. The demand for pounds relative to Naira increases. This increases the value of pounds and reduces the value of the Naira. We then need more and more Naira to buy the same amount of pounds, thereby defeating the whole purpose.

Hope that has helped.

Oh dear!
Thanks a lot
You've indeed helped.
I now understand better.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by adeibi: 1:36pm On Jul 31, 2011
kulutempa:

At the end of the day, money is nothing but a store of value. The only reason why it was invented was for convenience, and not to replace whatever goods and services people were producing and exchanging with each other beforehand, by way of barter.   
You have just summarised it all.
Thanks.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by adeibi: 1:42pm On Jul 31, 2011
dramenda:

The honourable poster and everybody that have contributed meaningfully to this post.God bless you all.i have learnt alot and so those monitoring the thread.NLders am proud of you guy.
AMEN!!!
God bless u too
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by manny4life(m): 2:00pm On Jul 31, 2011
In addition to @kulutempa , FOREX is the most liquid of all securities traded in the world therefore demand fluctuates in seconds and minutes, and price stability of the Naira as well as the interest rate on the Naira is very important to the Naira.

unphilaz:

nice discuss. the thread is divided into dont print more money which will lead 2 inflation VS print more money 4 development and use the benefit to reduce inflation. i think the latter should be considered.

I'm all for printing money ONLY if there should be need and since the need to build infrastructure is important, I say print money. However, such printing decisions should met several other criteria. Several factors that should be taken into consideration should include,

1. Unemployment Rate

2. Bank lending Interest Rate

3. Current inflation and Price control

4. Costs and Benefits valuation

Like my previous examples, if Nigeria has $100billion in money supply (all components taken in account), with a current inflation rate @ 12%, adding another 5% to the money supply which is $5billion bring a total of $105 billion circulation and same amount will drive inflation to 17%, for its purpose, I think it's worth it. If $5billion is divided in to two; job creation through establishment of small loans for small and mid size business and the other used for infrastructure, that will definitely go a long way.

rhymz:

money.

2bosun:

Let's not even go near the Naira because the Naira is barely recognizable beyond the boundaries of Nigeria- so you can't use it to pay for anything beyond Nigeria. I hope it helps, maybe a real economist could help me out here?

To add what he said, you cannot dump your currency on another country. This is where balance of trade comes in; if you print excess money to pay debts, that excess money is within your own country. For instance you would think to print $1billion to pay down your debt but your debtors will take factors of your inflation to calculate it and in essence you will think your $1billion is worth $1billion (I did the calculation some where in my previous post) but in deed its worth $10million, so your idea will be to continue printing to you repay $1billion, the more you print you add inflation, the next time you print $1billion, instead of its worth being $10million, it will worth $1million. As you can see, continuous printing isn't helping you repay debts but cause more debts and add inflation to the economy
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by adeibi: 2:05pm On Jul 31, 2011
proO1:

My heart bleeds for Nigeria.
There seems to be no hope and that's very worrisome.
9 years to the year 2020 and we've not achieved any of the visions.
Things are easier said than done I guess.
We're very good in visionising but very poor in making it a reality.

The number 1 and most important step to starting/achieving industrialisation is having a constant power supply.
That should be numero uno on Bros GEJ'S list.
If that's the ONLY thing he can achieve then he has achieved everything.
He should pursue it squarely and stop jumping from one project to another thus leaving them half way.
He should completely solve the POWER problem, if he has more years to embark on another project, fine, but if he doesn't, the next administration will choose another and solve completely too and so on.
That's the only way I see the change we want coming to reality IMO.
I love my country and I hope my dreams for this country come to pass
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by 2bosun: 3:45pm On Jul 31, 2011
adeibi:

My heart bleeds for Nigeria.
There seems to be no hope and that's very worrisome.
9 years to the year 2020 and we've not achieved any of the visions.
Things are easier said than done I guess.
We're very good in visionising but very poor in making it a reality.

[b]The number 1 and most important step to starting/achieving industrialisation is having a constant power supply.
[/b]That should be numero uno on Bros GEJ'S list.
If that's the ONLY thing he can achieve then he has achieved everything.
He should pursue it squarely and stop jumping from one project to another thus leaving them half way.
He should completely solve the POWER problem, if he has more years to embark on another project, fine, but if he doesn't, the next administration will choose another and solve completely too and so on.
That's the only way I see the change we want coming to reality IMO.
I love my country and I hope my dreams for this country come to pass

It's easier said than done my sister, trust me in this Nigeria, some people would rather die than there be constant power supply. That's the root of the problem that needs to be dealt with. It's almost impossible because you would have to change people's thinking pattern- I weep for this country whenever issues like these are brought up. It's not just the leaders- everyone has to be on the same page for Nigeria to move forward.
Re: Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? by grammy: 3:46pm On Jul 31, 2011
Great thread!!! best i have seen in a long time, you guys are wonderful.

We need more contribution here, and please can we focus on what the solution to Nigeria probem can be, any idea will be greatly welcome at least by me

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Company Registration: Questions People Ask & Answers! / How Nigerian Businesses Can Improve Sales Through Data Analysis / My Experience With Online Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.