Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,589 members, 7,955,170 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:42 PM

Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit (14669 Views)

Senate Presidency: PDP Senators-elect Reject Akpabio / 2023 Presidency: PDP Zoning Tradition Stands, Ayu Insists / 20 Elderly Sans Warn Buhari: Onnoghen's Resignation Is Not Enough (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Loveurneighbour: 4:31am On Apr 29, 2022
Former President Goodluck Jonathan who is considering joining the All Progressives Congress to run for President is set to face a legal battle in the coming days, The PUNCH has learnt.

This is just as the Vice Chairman/Director of Public Affairs, Igbo Leadership Development Foundation, Dr. Law Mefor, says his group will be going to court to challenge Jonathan should he declare his intention to contest.

Mefor stated this as the Peoples Democratic Party members in the House of Representatives warned the ex-President against accepting offers of the APC and the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.)

Explaining the stand of the ILDF, Mefor, who believes the next President should be from the South-East region, argued that Jonathan had been affected by the constitutional amendment and thus had no right to contest.

He said, “I have said it before and I’m saying it again. We will go to court to challenge it if Jonathan joins the presidential race.

“What my group, Igbo Leadership Development Foundation, would test in court is whether Jonathan can be sworn in as President of Nigeria a third time despite the express constitutional provision against it.

“We are just waiting for Jonathan to pick up a political party’s nomination form and the Igbo Leadership Development Foundation will approach a court of competent jurisdiction to challenge his qualification to stand this election. I have nothing personal against Jonathan. After all, I was in his media team in 2015 but we have to do things right as a nation under the law and not as a nation of impunity picked as a consensus candidate.

In a chat with The PUNCH, a human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), said any party that picked Jonathan as its candidate risked being disqualified.

When asked what would happen if Jonathan emerged candidate, Falana stated, “Of course, their opponents will go to court to challenge the legal validity of his election. It will be too much of a risk without having a definitive pronouncement on this matter.”

The senior advocate maintained that Jonathan having been inaugurated as President twice could not be sworn in the third time.

Falana also noted that Section 137(3) of the constitution which was amended in 2018, states that a person who was sworn in to complete the term for which another person was elected as President shall not be elected to such office for more than a single term.

He argued that since Jonathan became President following the death of President Umaru Yar’Adua, he would not be able to serve two more full terms.

https://punchng.com/presidency-pdp-reps-sans-warn-jonathan-group-threatens-suit/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Mooh247: 4:32am On Apr 29, 2022
cheesy

Are we no more practising Democracy or doesn't Jonathan have constituitional right to seek a second mandate since he only got one in 2011

Why are this people attacking every aspirants thinking that would automatically make Obi the people's choice

They are attacking Osinbajo, Tinubu, Atiku , Wike and now their beloved Jonathan Azikwe Ebelechuckwu Jonathan

If dull Malami and Bagudu the cabal wanabees likes let them bring Jonathan, they would be roundly defeated and sent to political oblivion

Since Jonathan, Sambo and Allison Madueke escaped jail the first time, they want to try their lucks again

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by NaijaCowFarm: 4:35am On Apr 29, 2022
Go to court and stop making noise. Jonathan is eminently qualified to contest

12 Likes

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Bluntguy: 4:40am On Apr 29, 2022
See as the man just dey laugh una.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by matrix199(m): 4:48am On Apr 29, 2022
Jonathan's integrity would be put to test.

A diabolical party that blames her failures on Jonathan now wants the same Jonathan to run for the presidency under her party so he can inherit their failures and also give the North a short time frame to come back to power, should she accept to zone to the South.

What other adjective to describe those crazy APC cacus pushing for Jonathan's contest than EVIL GENIUS!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Felimax(m): 5:09am On Apr 29, 2022
Of all party Mr Ex president not APC. No, not and never again from the satanic party that brought unbearable hardship on Nigerians.

Nigerians are booting APC out.
They have virtually nothing to campaign with, they have exhausted all their tricks and Nigerians has caught them in their own trap.

Apart from Osinbajo who many people has so much respect for I don't think there is anybody in APC that can convince the electorate, with what exactly?

Party of craze.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by drlateef: 6:18am On Apr 29, 2022
Mooh247:
cheesy

Are we no more practising Democracy or doesn't Jonathan have constituitional right to seek a second mandate since he only got one in 2011

Why are this people attacking every aspirants thinking that would automatically make Obi the people's choice

They are attacking Osinbajo, Tinubu, Atiku , Wike and now their beloved Jonathan Azikwe Ebelechuckwu Jonathan

Another shock for the wailers early in the morning. Wailers cannot even study the constitution again as they dazed beyond reality.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by SamPeeLamen(m): 6:33am On Apr 29, 2022
lol
Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by ruggedtimi(m): 6:56am On Apr 29, 2022
Omo dem no bring this leg wen goodluck ran against buhari. Make we dey see

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Minime10(m): 7:01am On Apr 29, 2022
Now, I want to ask Mr. Falana, the Section of the law, he Falana is referencing, is Section 137 (3) of the 1999 Constitution, which according to Falana's argument was amended in 2018 to the effect that, a person who once completed the tenue of office of his principal, who died in office, cannot be sworn-in to that same office more than twice, now Jonathan's tenue from 2011 when he was first elected and sworn-in as the President of Nigeria ended in 2015, three good years before the said amendment to the Constitution was made, now the question is, was that
Section of the law, so amended, made to take effect retrospectively or prospectively Mr. Falana and even the Constitution he quoted is silent on that.
Section 137 (1) (b) Says " a person cannot be elected more than twice to the office of the President. Now, the big question is, has Jonathan ever contested and was elected President twice, properly so speaks? The answer of course, is an emphatic "NO". The action and situation they ( Falana & his Igbo group) are complaining of took place in the past, even the said Section they're now quoting was never contemplated, but it only came to be promulgated in 2018, has Falana himself pointed out, and assuming, though, never conceding, how come they now think, and argued that, a law made, in 2018 should affect a person who has never been elected as President more than one time, that is in 2011.
On the Igbo group, saying Jonathan cannot contest, Jonathan has every right under the sun to contest in any election in Nigeria if he Jonathan so wish, no gangoro group can stop him either by Court or by any other means. There is no Section in the Constitution that Zoned Political Offices to any Region or any group of people.
These people should stop hitting up the already tensed political environment

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Lovelive: 7:56am On Apr 29, 2022
Do you think you are making serious sense ?

No need to lecture you.

Minime10:
Now, I want to ask Mr. Falana, the Section of the law, he Falana is referencing, is Section 137 (3) of the 1999 Constitution, which according to Falana's argument was amended in 2018 to the effect that, a person who once completed the tenue of office of his principal, who died in office, cannot be sworn-in to that same office more than once, now Jonathan tenue ended in 2015, three good years before the said amendment to the Constitution was made, now the question is, was that
Section of the law so amended, made to take effect retrospectively or prospectively Mr. Falana and even the Constitution he quoted is silent on that.
Section 137 (1) (b) Says " a person cannot be elected more than twice to the office of the President. Now, the big question is, has Jonathan ever contested and was elected President twice, properly so speaks? The answer of course, is an emphatic "NO". The action and situation they ( Falana & his Igbo group) are complaining of took place in the past, even the said Section they're now quoting was never contemplated, but it only came to be promulgated in 2018, has Falana himself pointed out, so how come they now think and argued that a law made, in 2018 should affect a person for an event that took place in 2011.
On the Igbo group, saying Jonathan cannot contest, Jonathan has every right under the sun to contest in any election in Nigeria if he Jonathan so wish, no gangoro group can stop him either by Court or by any other means. There is no Section in the Constitution that Zoned Political Offices to any Region or any group of people.
These people should stop hitting up the already tensed political environment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Minime10(m): 8:44am On Apr 29, 2022
Lovelive:
Do you think you are making serious sense ?

No need to lecture you.

Sorry, I don't engaged urchins and unlettered idiots like you. I arugue logically and sequentially with learned minds. Go back to school, it's never too late.

1 Like

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Lovelive: 9:03am On Apr 29, 2022
As I said earlier, sense is far from you but I know the nature will grant you that ability when you are ready.

I care less for your insults and names tagged. I don't talk much,

[quote author=Minime10 post=112366729][/quote]
Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by helinues: 9:04am On Apr 29, 2022
People have just been speculating so many junks lately
Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by haffaze777(m): 9:09am On Apr 29, 2022
He will decamp and contest and if he win,he will rule all over Nigeria including AfghanEastern.Nothing any useless mefor can do about it.

20 Likes

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Minime10(m): 10:28am On Apr 29, 2022
Lovelive:
As I said earlier, sense is far from you but I know the nature will grant you that ability when you are ready.

I care less for your insults and names tagged. I don't talk much,

Get lost, nonentity & vagabond like you.
Nobody is going to dash "una" President. Go and buy form and contest election, stop all this sentimental and emotional blackmail, it's not going to work.
Tell your misguided mefor to go & join the race by picking up his forms, this conspiracy theory wouldn't help him.
And finally, stop dabbling into issues that you have little or no knowledge about. Ewu .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Ladiesdoctor(m): 10:31am On Apr 29, 2022
OK oo
Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by EjaikreTheViper(f): 10:31am On Apr 29, 2022
A Jonathan that is blind, deaf and dumb is still better than this old criminal drug pusher below

6 Likes

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by SIMONEKPA7: 10:31am On Apr 29, 2022
smiley
SO WHAT IF GEJ HAD WON 2019 ELECTION. WOULD HE NOT HAVE TAKEN ANOTHER OATH OF OFFICE?
CONFUSED CITIZENS AND LAWYER

3 Likes

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by seunaj: 10:31am On Apr 29, 2022
Actually, that is their plan. They will put Hell ruFai as deputy and disqualify Jona in court after election in a plot to topple him with hell rufai

3 Likes

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by Fiscus105(m): 10:32am On Apr 29, 2022
If oga Jona throwing in his hat to the ring, either APC or PDP, he would be most foolish person in the universe, I will now believe that truly he is clueless.

God has done it for him beyond his imagination. I think it's time to sit down in his home and continuing eating the fruits of his labour in peace, if he allows selfish Abokis who are not in his class to use and ridicule him more, so be it.

4 Likes

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by KINGSATANREBORN: 10:32am On Apr 29, 2022
Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by jojo1415: 10:33am On Apr 29, 2022
Goodluck Jonathan don turn star boy overnight...After all the criticisms.....in life silence matters so much,don't always attack those that speak against u grin

1 Like

Re: Presidency: PDP Reps, SANs Warn Jonathan, Group Threatens Suit by tiswell(m): 10:33am On Apr 29, 2022
GEJ can rescue naija from this shackle of economic and insecurity wies

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria To Become 30th Largest Economy By 2014 / Warning To All Nigerians On Insults On PMB - Cramjones / Can ‘Obidient’ Nigerians Surprise Tinubu, Atiku In 2023?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.