Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,018 members, 7,814,475 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? (785 Views)

Over 200 Bodies Lay Along The Route To The Top Of Mountain Everest(Pics & Video) / Usuma Dam, Abuja: You Won't Believe This Is Nigeria (Video, Photos) / Can You Believe This is Nigeria? Travelling As A Single Nigerian Lady (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by DoveXlover: 10:34am On Apr 30, 2022
Often times i wonder why NIGERIA with a population of over 200 million people with all her natural resources ranging from Cruze oil to Cocoa to zink to natural gas to vast blessings from Agriculture and other numerous blessings and natural resources, why would a country as blessed and populated like Nigeria be having a GDP of 432.30 billion dollars and countries with less population and natural resources like France and the uk. Their GDP are worth trillions of dollars.

Germany with less population and less natural resources even without gas and oil are having a GDP of 4 trillion dollars.

Often times i see comments from Nigerians like countries like UK and Germany are too small with less population so it's easy for them to have high GDP and then i wonder what of countries like USA, china even Indonesia and India that are larger than Nigeria with More population, why are their GDP in trillions of dollars?

For example, Indonesia is over 200 million populations, Nigeria too is over 200 million population but the GDP of Indonesia is Worth 1 trillion dollars but that of Nigeria is Just worth 400 billion dollars. And we can argue the fact that NIGERIA has more natural resources than Indonesia and than countries like Brazil with similar population but higher GDP.

Why is this so? Don't you all think something is wrong somewhere?

Cc lalasticlala Dominique mynd44 justwise

1 Like

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by OhBritannia(m): 10:45am On Apr 30, 2022
Hmmmm let me clear road for business people.
This is going to be interesting and guy, your questions though, more like PhD questions grin but i like the way you think though.
Let me go and relax my head first and then i will be back to answer your question.
This your question needs clear head to answer grin grin grin
Let me help you call lalasticlala and mynd44

1 Like

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by OhBritannia(m): 10:59am On Apr 30, 2022
DoveXlover:
I am a deep thinker.
I think deep because i know there is always solution to every problem in life especially when it comes to the economy and Government in general.
I think development, stable electricity and adequate security is 100% possible in NIGERIA.
The problem is our leaders are not deep thinkers.
Hmmm interesting, problem is that, situations like this isn't going to change soon.
That is the sad reality of Nigeria.
Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 30, 2022
Cos we v poor technical abilities and lazy politicians who encourages laziness & still earn huge pay.
The culture is so bastardised that sentiments & poverty has made homes, religious houses to celebrate bad conduct & crimes.
See the products of the best mechanical engineer in Nigeria or medical student.
They can't excel in Nigeria till they travel out.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by DoveXlover: 11:06am On Apr 30, 2022
OhBritannia:
Hmmm interesting, problem is that, situations like this isn't going to change soon.
That is the sad reality of Nigeria.
I don't think the leaders are the problem.
The people are the problem.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by DoveXlover: 11:09am On Apr 30, 2022
Sweetplum:
Cos we v poor technical abilities and lazy politicians who encourages laziness & still earn huge pay.
The culture is so bastardised that sentiments & poverty has made homes, religious houses to celebrate bad conduct & crimes.
See the products of the best mechanical engineer in Nigeria or medical student.
They can't excel in Nigeria till they travel out.

Very True, you are 100% right.
Seeing countries like Singapore cities like hong Kong and their massive development breaks my heart for Nigeria.
I still don't understand why NIGERIA as a country is still suffering from epileptic electricity in this century. A problem that's supposed to be history by now.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by Nobody: 11:46am On Apr 30, 2022
DoveXlover:
Very True, you are 100% right.
Seeing countries like Singapore cities like hong Kong and their massive development breaks my heart for Nigeria.
I still don't understand why NIGERIA as a country is still suffering from epileptic electricity in this century. A problem that's supposed to be history by now.
They thought us in govt, economics & geography the problems of developing countries.
They are
* Political Instability
* Poor Knowledge of Technology
* High Crime Rate
* Over Population
* Corruption & many more.
All these are Nigeria's best friends as at today.
There was a time Nigeria ll v used to escape from all these. It was the time of the oil boom in the 1970s and the 1980s-1990s consecutive military era. These two periods has two similarities.
High Crime Rate & Corruption. The leaders at this time had the opportunity to set benchmarks but failed. Not only presidents, the coup plotters, corrupt politicians allin post of power.
So...we re back to square -99.999.999.999.
As in long distance to the past.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by ednut1(m): 12:11pm On Apr 30, 2022
bad leadership with no plans for future. and stupid citizens producing kids like rat inside hardship .

2 Likes

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by dake40(m): 1:25pm On Apr 30, 2022
Because we import more than we export. When you eat more than you provide, what happens?

Almost everything we use is imported from other countries.

Our domestic SME relies on imported goods to sell locally. Nothing spectacular is exported.

Majorities of the countries you listed up there are Marchants in exportation of Goods and service. Majority of them are gods in Technology. What technology does Nigeria sell to the outside world?

What final goods does Nigeria sell to other countries aside Oil?

We never ready

1 Like

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by descarado: 1:27pm On Apr 30, 2022
Thanks to Nigerian men ego and inferiority complex.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by Bifwoli: 1:32pm On Apr 30, 2022
Because the knowledge economy of Nigeria is small. Those countries produce and export vast quantities of cars,ships,advanced weapons,semiconductors ,chemicals,medicines,high fashion items and their populations consume vast amounts of electricity,sporting events,quality housing,movies etc.

The average Nigerian can't afford just 10% of these goodies that's why its GDP is smaller.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by DoveXlover: 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2022
ednut1:
bad leadership with no plans for future. and stupid citizens producing kids like rat inside hardship .
grin grin True on the ending part.
You see a ordinary bicycle repairer giving birth to 5 little kids and the wife is Just an ordinary housewife and you begin to wonder how they feed those kids.
Even looking at the kids, one can tell they suffer from malnutrition.
Everything is NIGERIA is not just organise, we don't have an organise system.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by DoveXlover: 1:49pm On Apr 30, 2022
dake40:
Because we import more than we export. When you eat more than you provide, what happens?

Almost everything we use is imported from other countries.

Our domestic SME relies on imported goods to sell locally. Nothing spectacular is exported.

Majorities of the countries you listed up there are Marchants in exportation of Goods and service. Majority of them are gods in Technology. What technology does Nigeria sell to the outside world?

What final goods does Nigeria sell to other countries aside Oil?

We never ready

It's indeed very sad.
We are supposed to be one of the leading countries in exportation in the world.
The country is too blessed with natural resources and human resources but no utilization.
I just wonder if things can ever get better.
Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:59pm On Apr 30, 2022
Nigerians birth a lot. Nigeria with its current resources shouldn't be more than 20 million but some people love sex way too much.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by favinvest: 2:44pm On Apr 30, 2022
Population and natural resources have less impart on GDP.

It's creativity that have very high impact on GDP.
Creativity its a function of the human mind driven by knowledge backed society ( not certificate).

Quota system killed Nigerian creativity spirit.

Same thing is happening to Russia.. with having the biggest population; Land mass and Natural resources in Europe but GDP is smaller than the UK or Italy etc..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by DoveXlover: 4:48pm On Apr 30, 2022
favinvest:
Population and natural resources have less impart on GDP.

It's creativity that have very high impact on GDP.
Creativity its a function of the human mind driven by knowledge backed society ( not certificate).

Quota system killed Nigerian creativity spirit.

Same thing is happening to Russia.. with having the biggest population; Land mass and Natural resources in Europe but GDP is smaller than the UK or Italy etc..
very true, you are 100% right.
The system in Nigeria kills creativity.
Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by timefarm(m): 5:02pm On Apr 30, 2022
GDP is gross domestic product.
What are we producing.
Vast majority of people are completely jobless unlike those countries t hgv at job seems more than available number of people.
Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by siofra(f): 5:35pm On Apr 30, 2022
It's because Nigerian men refuse to be productive. They rather stay in the romance section all day creating threads to bash women.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by DoveXlover: 5:44pm On Apr 30, 2022
siofra:
It's because Nigerian men refuse to be productive. They rather stay in the romance section all day creating threads to bash women.
Nigeria men refused to be productive but you are in a forum created by a Nigeria man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by ednut1(m): 8:43am On May 01, 2022
siofra:
frustrated feminists. Keep kwayet.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by Cousin9999: 10:30am On May 01, 2022
This, and the narcissists who enable them:

World is plundering Africa’s wealth of ‘billions of dollars a year’
https://amp.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/may/24/world-is-plundering-africa-wealth-billions-of-dollars-a-year
Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by DoveXlover: 11:45am On May 01, 2022
Cousin9999:
This, and the narcissists who enable them:

World is plundering Africa’s wealth of ‘billions of dollars a year’
https://amp.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/may/24/world-is-plundering-africa-wealth-billions-of-dollars-a-year

This is deep.
It's like Africa leaders are blind.
Re: Why Is NIGERIA With A Population Of Over 200 Million Having A Lower GDP? by Cousin9999: 11:52am On May 01, 2022
DoveXlover:
Africa leaders are blind.

^nb troll

(1) (Reply)

UK Health And Care Worker Visa - All You Need To Know / About To JAPA - What Happens To Your Pension? / I Visited Nike Art Gallery Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.