Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index (1064 Views)

Saudi Arabia Already Moving Economy Beyond Oil, See Projection. / Which Nigerian President Drank The Most Oil ( See Data) / Nigeria, Most Admired African Nation In Spite Of Criticisms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by Xris74: 6:44am On Aug 08, 2007
2006 HDI Ranking (From best to worst)
Norway
Iceland
Australia
Ireland
Sweden
Canada
Japan
United States
Switzerland
Netherlands
Finland
Luxembourg
Belgium
Austria
Denmark
France
Italy
United Kingdom
Spain
New Zealand
Germany
Hong Kong, China (SAR)
Israel
Greece
Singapore
Korea, Rep. of
Slovenia
Portugal
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Barbados
Malta
Kuwait
Brunei Darussalam
Hungary
Argentina
Poland
Chile
Bahrain
Estonia
Lithuania
Slovakia
Uruguay
Croatia
Latvia
Qatar
Seychelles
Costa Rica
United Arab Emirates
Cuba
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Bahamas
Mexico
Bulgaria
Tonga
Oman
Trinidad and Tobago
Panama
Antigua and Barbuda
Romania
Malaysia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Mauritius
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
Russian Federation
Macedonia, TFYR
Belarus
Dominica
Brazil
Colombia
Saint Lucia
Venezuela, RB
Albania
Thailand
Samoa (Western)
Saudi Arabia
Ukraine
Lebanon
Kazakhstan
Armenia
China
Peru
Ecuador
Philippines
Grenada
Jordan
Tunisia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Suriname
Fiji
Paraguay
Turkey
Sri Lanka
Dominican Republic
Belize
Iran, Islamic Rep. of
Georgia
Maldives
Azerbaijan
Occupied Palestinian Territories
El Salvador
Algeria
Guyana
Jamaica
Turkmenistan
Cape Verde
Syrian Arab Republic
Indonesia
Viet Nam
Kyrgyzstan
Egypt
Nicaragua
Uzbekistan
Moldova, Rep. of
Bolivia
Mongolia
Honduras
Guatemala
Vanuatu
Equatorial Guinea
South Africa
Tajikistan
Morocco
Gabon
Namibia
India
São Tomé and Principe
Solomon Islands
Cambodia
Myanmar
Botswana
Comoros
Lao People's Dem. Rep.
Pakistan
Bhutan
Ghana
Bangladesh
Nepal
Papua New Guinea
Congo
Sudan
Timor-Leste
Madagascar
Cameroon
Uganda
Swaziland
Togo
Djibouti
Lesotho
Yemen
Zimbabwe
Kenya
Mauritania
Haiti
Gambia
Senegal
Eritrea
Rwanda
Nigeria
Guinea
Angola
Tanzania, U. Rep. of
Benin
Côte d'Ivoire
Zambia
Malawi
Congo, Dem. Rep. of the
Mozambique
Burundi
Ethiopia
Chad
Central African Republic
Guinea-Bissau
Burkina Faso
Mali
Sierra Leone
Niger
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by desgiezd(m): 9:48am On Aug 09, 2007
Without even writing Nigeria in bold print, I decided to start checking from the rear for obvious reasons.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by shinystar(m): 10:21am On Aug 09, 2007
Na wa o! Even tiny Togo and Equitorial Guinea dusted our dear Nigeria, the giant of Africa. What an irony!
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by denex: 11:00am On Aug 09, 2007
Na wah O! So human development index is higher in Palestine that Nigeria and India. In fact far higher.

I wonder then why are Nigerians and Indians not lining up for Palestinian visas or using illegal means to migrate to Palestine.

Who compiled that bloody list? Was it Central Bank of Nigeria?

Was it not an organization in one of those countries ranked at the top of the list.

You may wonder if the HDI in Togo is far better than that of Nigeria, why do Togolese keep coming down to Nigeria to become puff-puff sellers, bus drivers, house boys and house girls. TELL ME!!
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by Mariory(m): 11:14am On Aug 09, 2007
denex:

Na wah O! So human development index is higher in Palestine that Nigeria and India. In fact far higher.

I wonder then why are Nigerians and Indians not lining up for Palestinian visas or using illegal means to migrate to Palestine.

Who compiled that bloody list? Was it Central Bank of Nigeria?

Was it not an organization in one of those countries ranked at the top of the list.

You may wonder if the HDI in Togo is far better than that of Nigeria, why do Togolese keep coming down to Nigeria to become puff-puff sellers, bus drivers, house boys and house girls. TELL ME!!

It doesn't work that way. The population of Nigeria and India are vastly higher than that of Palestine or Togo. This is what brings our HDI down.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by denex: 12:43pm On Aug 09, 2007
The human development index puts everything into consideration so don't bother about any extra issues.

If I say the Human Development index of Norway is higher than that of Equatorial Guinea, that means overall, all things taken into consideration, Norway is a better place to live than Equatorial Guinea.

So there's no need considering population all over again. Population was already considered.

So all in all, Palestine is a better, safer, more educated, prosperous place with higher life expectancy and better welfare than Nigeria and India.

Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go to Palestine.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by denex: 1:05pm On Aug 09, 2007
Where can I apply for Togolese Citizenship please?
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by denex: 1:32pm On Aug 09, 2007
Ah! Even Zimbabwe sef? If them get higher Human Development Index, then what's all these complaints I hear about Mugabe?
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by BABEELOVE(f): 1:46pm On Aug 09, 2007
Well, it is reassuring to know that Nigeria fares better than a few African countries.  GIANT OF AFRICA!!!! grin
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 09, 2007
hi,
the problem with nigeria is leadership .not corruption.it is d consciousness of poverty that has made our leaders so corrupt that they've allowed us this shame
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by folem: 3:35pm On Aug 09, 2007
What has Oil Got To Do With It?

From the above List : OPEC Members

33     Kuwait
46     Qatar
49     United Arab Emirates
64     Libya
72     Venezuela
76     Saudi Arabia
96     Iran
102   Algeria
108   Indonesia
159   Nigeria
161   Angola

*Iraq is not listed

Oil alone cannot make a big difference to our overall ranking due to our population. We need to diversify our economy.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by Mariory(m): 4:37pm On Aug 09, 2007
denex:

Where can I apply for Togolese Citizenship please?

Togo is a member of ECOWAS which means you can easily work and live there. Just visit the immigration website to find out what you need. grin
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by Xris74: 4:38pm On Aug 09, 2007
folem:

From the above List : OPEC Members

33 Kuwait
46 Qatar
49 United Arab Emirates
64 Libya
72 Venezuela
76 Saudi Arabia
96 Iran
102 Algeria
108 Indonesia
159 Nigeria
161 Angola

*Iraq is not listed

Oil alone cannot make a big difference to our overall ranking due to our population. We need to diversify our economy.

Gbam! Gbam! Diversify or die. Period.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by Planner(m): 7:09pm On Aug 09, 2007
Nigeria still have a very long way to go.

Nigeria is a very very poor ocuntry and she needs to imporve on its' socio-economic well being.

The HDI is a reflection of the truth on ground.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by denex: 7:31pm On Aug 09, 2007
So Togo has that kind of EU thing with Nigeria? Thank God! Let me go to Togo and become a houseboy rather than continue suffering in Nigeria.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by desgiezd(m): 8:49am On Aug 10, 2007
folem:

If God has blessed us so much with so many mineral deposits and a good climate that varies from south to the north for agriculture, what then is hampering us from becoming an economic giant? I have never seen a nigerian leader that has shown genuine willingness to diversify the economy from the monolithic solely-oil-depending economy that we presently have. If we harness the opportunities presented by agriculture and our mineral resources, the issue of Niger-Delta will not even arise as each state would have one strong economic resource or the other to be proud of.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by ono(m): 10:31am On Aug 10, 2007
I generally don't believe in rankings - so many things are dynamic these days that it's difficult to put a tab on anything.

That said, this stats only helps to expose the truth about Naija -  that there are several people feeding from the few oil deposits in the Delta and contributing little or nothing elsewhere.

Do you think that with a Niger Delta Republic up there, their HDI will be like that of Nigeria?
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by denex: 10:43am On Aug 10, 2007
@ono

don't you mean with a Niger-Delta Republic DOWN there?
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by Xris74: 1:41pm On Aug 10, 2007
Nigeria has oil and its down there.

So, what makes any sane person assume that a new Niger Delta Republic (part of Nigeria, with all the useless negative tendencies of Nigeria in abundance) will not also be down there? The likes of Alams, Ibori, Igbinedion, Eric Opia, Anenih, Dokubo, Ateke Tom, Peter Odili, etc, are still around.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 10, 2007
Denex, you want to kill me abi?
Abeg i no well oh no let me laugh die abeg, i never born yet.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by ono(m): 4:17pm On Aug 10, 2007
denex:

@ono

don't you mean with a Niger-Delta Republic DOWN there?

If I take you up, you go forget where you dey come from.
Re: In Spite Of Oil, See Where Our Country Ranks In The Human Development Index by wendymanda: 4:30pm On Aug 10, 2007
You know what is sad, the stupid Nigerian presidents give things to Jamaica and look they are higher than us. Sometime ago they took nurses and teachers to Jamaica and payed their salary while they taught there. See that's what I've been saying instead of enforcing idiotic laws like women should not wear trousers they should be trying to do better than islands like Jamaica. Even war torn countries are doing better than us. As the giant of Africa we couldn't even conquer Africa. Japan is the giant of Asia and look where it is.

(1) (Reply)

What Has Nigeria Got To Show For High Oil Prices / Saraki Vs Adedibu / N230m Bribe: Efcc Arraigns Fani-kayode Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.