Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele (850 Views)

President Buhari Meets With CBN Governor, Emefiele (Photos) / See The Resignation Letter Written By An APC Member In Rivers / CBN Governor, Emefiele Risks Prison Over $53m Garnishee Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by Laststylebender: 9:30pm On May 06, 2022
THE CBN GOVERNOR MUST DISENGAGE FORTHWITH

The news of the purchase of Declaration of Intent and Nomination Forms to contest for the office of the President in the forthcoming general elections, on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, purportedly by the supporters of the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr Godwin Emefiele, has been received with palpable disbelief and shock by many Nigerians. This act, if unchecked, timeously, portends great danger to the fragile economy of the country.

Rumours had been rife on the subterranean partisan activities linked to him through these shadowy characters in the recent weeks. Pictures of branded vehicles, ostensibly purchased for electioneering campaigns, were also posted on the social media. The audacious moves by those who claimed to be supporting this interest have been unsettling.

This latest news confirms that the Governor may indeed be interested in immersing himself in the murky waters of politics like any other Nigerian with partisan interests. It is incontrovertible that Mr Emefiele enjoys a constitutionally protected right to belong to any group or association and participate fully, just as any Nigerian. It is, however, difficult to imagine that a person who occupies the exalted and sensitive office of the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria will be this brazen in actualizing his ambition.

There is no gain asserting the obvious. The combined effect of the Public Service Rules, CBN Act and the 1999 Constitution, as amended, exposes not only the oddity inherent in this brash exercise of presumed right to associate. It also confirms the illegality of the act should he proceed to submit the forms while occupying the seat as Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Consequently, we admonish Mr Emefiele to leave the office, immediately, for him to pursue his interest. He cannot combine partisan politics with the very delicate assignment of his office. Should he refuse to quit, it becomes incumbent on the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces to remove him forthwith.

This is a joke taken too far.

ARAKUNRIN OLUWAROTIMI O. AKEREDOLU, SAN
GOVERNOR, ONDO STATE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by Unzerious: 10:10pm On May 06, 2022
I'd rather be a Nairalander than a Lawyer grin
Gov. Emefiele will Resign. He hasn't Declared Officially and The form was bought by Friends. They might just resell the ticket to Gov. Akeredolu at a Beat-Down Price grin

#Meffy2023

1 Like

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by SwissMass: 10:17pm On May 06, 2022
Emefiele should know the law, he can't contest for presidency without resigning

1 Like

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by Indispensable85(m): 10:18pm On May 06, 2022
I love Akeredolu. Always on point.
Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by richiemcgold: 10:21pm On May 06, 2022
CBN belongs to all Nigerians, not APC.

normally, a CBN governor should be apolitical.
Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by Rastaramsey(m): 10:21pm On May 06, 2022
CBN governor won be president grin grin grin

This shows how the hell people are damn hungry for power...

He should kiss his current position goodbye if he really wants the presidential post...

He won't even get close to winning the primary..
Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by fergie001: 10:24pm On May 06, 2022
Indispensable85:
I love Akeredolu. Always on point.
Aketi should "be calming down."

Emefiele hasn't declared but his form was bought by "his friends" who are pressuring him to contest.

He hasn't confirmed receipt either so he hasn't violated any Public Service Rules. As you are now, I can go with some people tomorrow and get a form for Nyesom Wike in APC, Chairman Adamu will give me the form and collect money waiting for screening. grin

Is he a registered member of APC? The answer is NO. So, he will tarry until screening and then resign. Obviously, he will be granted waiver.

1 Like

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by Indispensable85(m): 10:31pm On May 06, 2022
fergie001:

Aketi is playing politics grin grin

Emefiele hasn't declared but his form was bought by "his friends" who are pressuring him to contest.

He hasn't confirmed receipt either so he hasn't violated any Public Service Rules. As you are now, I can go with some people tomorrow and get a form for Nyesom Wike in APC, Chairman Adamu will give me the form and collect money waiting for screening. grin

Is he a registered member of APC? The answer is NO. So, he will tarry until screening and then resign. Obviously, he will be granted waiver.

Lol......... you're writing this like you're defending a client before the court. But you and I know that Emiefele has been fully active in this race. He's the only one amongst the Apc aspirants that has a jingle rolling across TV stations daily. His ambition is no longer a secret,let him just resign and concentrate fully on his newly found career.

I can't tell who's advising Emiefele. How Emiefele wan take win Apc Presidential ticket na? Shuooooo.........

2 Likes

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by fergie001: 10:42pm On May 06, 2022
Indispensable85:
Lol......... you're writing this like you're defending a client before the court. But you and I know that Emiefele has been fully active in this race. He's the only one amongst the Apc aspirants that has a jingle rolling across TV stations daily. His ambition is no longer a secret,let him just resign and concentrate fully on his newly found career.
The Court will roll with the facts. How can Emefiele be an aspirant in an election and he is not a registered member of any Political Party?

We assume he is interested and will run, but he can't resign just yet, but we know he will if indeed he confirms receipt of his form.

I can't tell who's advising Emiefele. How Emiefele wan take win APC Presidential ticket na? Shuooooo.........
Nobody on that ticket can be under-estimated. When Buhari picks your call, nobody will say pim. That's the truth, so everyone there has a CHANCE.
Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by seunmsg(m): 10:43pm On May 06, 2022
fergie001:

Aketi should "be calming down."

The answer is we don’t know. Except Emefiele comes out to categorically say that he’s not a member of APC, you cannot answer the question in the negative on his behalf. He might have procured APC membership card without your knowledge.

Again, the rumor of his interest in seeking the presidential ticket of APC has been on for over a month now. He has not categorically denied it since the media started reporting it. When APC form was procured on his behalf, he did not reject it as well. So, it can be easily implied that he’s a card member of APC and an aspirant on the platform of the party until he denies otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by EmeraldJD: 10:47pm On May 06, 2022
Something somewhere must be giving this man the lever.
Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by fergie001: 11:09pm On May 06, 2022
seunmsg:
The answer is we don’t know. Except Emefiele comes out to categorically say that he’s not a member of APC, you cannot answer the question in the negative on his behalf. He might have procured APC membership card without your knowledge.
Are you familiar with Section 4 & Subsection 030402 (g) of the Public Service Rules (2008 ed.)

It is against Public Service Rules for Emefiele to be a card-carrying member of any Party been Gov of the CBN. If during the screening, he is found out to have registered before his set resignation date, he will be screened out. So, he is not dumb.

Again, the rumor of his interest in seeking the presidential ticket of APC has been on for over a month now. He has not categorically denied it since the media started reporting it. When APC form was procured on his behalf, he did not reject it as well. So, it can be easily implied that he’s a card member of APC and an aspirant on the platform of the party until he denies otherwise.
The Courts don't work with 'implied.'

This is a political season and there are many rumours which the Court don't work with. That he didn't deny doesn't mean he confirmed it. When the rumours came up in March, this was his response:

My focus at this time is a robust monetary policy and fighting inflation which is now a global problem; building a strong financial system in an increasingly uncertain global economy

Development finance and supporting farmers & manufacturers in our self sufficiency and import substitution drive; raising N15 trillion for InfraCo infrastructure financing;

Building a world class International Financial Center in Lagos; as we support the @MBuhari Administration to finish strong.
#NoDistractionsPlease

So, he will resign.....that's a given but that is when he confirms that he has accepted the "plea" from his friends to run and not before.

5 Likes

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by seunmsg(m): 11:43pm On May 06, 2022
fergie001:

Are you familiar with Section 4 & Subsection 030402 (g) of the Public Service Rules (2008 ed.)

It is against Public Service Rules for Emefiele to be a card-carrying member of any Party been Gov of the CBN. If during the screening, he is found out to have registered before his set resignation date, he will be screened out. So, he is not dumb.

The Courts don't work with 'implied.'

This is a political season and there are many rumours which the Court don't work with. That he didn't deny doesn't mean he confirmed it. When the rumours came up in March, this was his response:

My focus at this time is a robust monetary policy and fighting inflation which is now a global problem; building a strong financial system in an increasingly uncertain global economy

Development finance and supporting farmers & manufacturers in our self sufficiency and import substitution drive; raising N15 trillion for InfraCo infrastructure financing;

Building a world class International Financial Center in Lagos; as we support the @MBuhari Administration to finish strong.
#NoDistractionsPlease

So, he will resign.....that's a given but that is when he confirms that he has accepted the "plea" from his friends to run and not before.

lol. I’m a civil servant and I know a little about public service rule. The constitution is supreme to the public service rule and the Supreme Court has affirmed this severally. Check the decision of the Supreme Court in INEC versus Musa and others (2003).

A director in my office once obtained nomination form and participated in the governorship primary of PDP in Plateau state. He lost the primary election and returned to his office as director. Some people brought out the PSR you quoted but the court ruled otherwise. The court affirmed that civil/public servant can actually participate in party primaries but should resign at least 30 days to the general election.

Mr. Bitrus Nabasu continued in office and was even appointed a Permanent Secretary. He retired February or March this year from Federal ministry of communications.

So you see, Emefiele has a precedent to rely on. Even in the case of Segun Oni vs Fayemi, the court affirmed that the law only requires public servants to resign 30 days to general election and nothing else. Emefiele is a public servant. The section of the PSR that you quoted is inconsistent with the law and cannot stand any legal challenge.
Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by fergie001: 3:28am On May 07, 2022
seunmsg:
lol. I’m a civil servant and I know a little about public service rule. The constitution is supreme to the public service rule and the Supreme Court has affirmed this severally. Check the decision of the Supreme Court in INEC versus Musa and others (2003).
Emefiele I just checked, is not even liable to the PSR but the CBN Act, nonetheless the INEC v Musa judgement is been misinterpreted by many: I had to go read it again. The case was about INEC guidelines in registration of political parties and not the PSR in question.

....However, this conclusion is limited to the question of the validity of [the relevant provision of the Electoral Act] and is not related to any question, not now before this court in these proceedings, of the extent to which the activities, as members of a political party, of [civil servants and other public servants] can validly be restricted by relevant legislation in the interest of the public service. It may well be that the need to ensure objectivity of officers entrusted with the implementation of government programs, continuity of administration and to foster public confidence in and a healthy public perception of the public service are factors that may influence and justify some sort of restrictions. But, as earlier stated, that was not an issue in this appeal. (Ayoola, JSC as he then was)-He took the lead judgement
That same case/
...The section (40) has made no exception and there is no proviso therein limiting its application to civil servants or public officers. It is important to mention that the provisions of the [civil service rules] have not been challenged in this case and therefore their validity is not in issue for determination by this court. Reference to the restriction had been made merely in passing by learned counsel (Bello, CJN as he then was):

So, it is not in order. The OHCSF released a memo on May 05, 2022.

I don't know if you have seen it. She hammered on the same point.
https://thewhistler.ng/memo-fg-bars-civil-servants-from-party-primaries-but-silent-on-political-appointees-refusal-to-resign/amp/

A director in my office once obtained nomination form and participated in the governorship primary of PDP in Plateau state. He lost the primary election and returned to his office as director. Some people brought out the PSR you quoted but the court ruled otherwise. The court affirmed that civil/public servant can actually participate in party primaries but should resign at least 30 days to the general election.

Mr. Bitrus Nabasu continued in office and was even appointed a Permanent Secretary. He retired February or March this year from Federal ministry of communications.
Even in 2015, we saw it because there was no clarity then. That's why the emphasis of the memo now. People did it because they had the backing.

So you see, Emefiele has a precedent to rely on. Even in the case of Segun Oni vs Fayemi, the court affirmed that the law only requires public servants to resign 30 days to general election and nothing else. Emefiele is a public servant. The section of the PSR that you quoted is inconsistent with the law and cannot stand any legal challenge.
Let us agree the PSR is inconsistent, but it hasn't been challenged, hence, it is still the Rule for those who are civil servants until it is thrown away by the Court.

Section 9 of the CBN Act also forbids the CBN Gov & Deputy-Govs from partisanship. For the Oni v Fayemi, there is a distinction wrt Public Servants though. Even if Emefiele can still contest without resigning however, the fact he must be a card-carrying member to participate in the Primaries shows that he will soon leave.

So, Madam Betty's husband should relax...

1 Like

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by seunmsg(m): 8:15am On May 07, 2022
fergie001:

Emefiele I just checked, is not even liable to the PSR but the CBN Act, nonetheless the INEC v Musa judgement is been misinterpreted by many: I had to go read it again. The case was about INEC guidelines in registration of political parties and not the PSR in question.

....However, this conclusion is limited to the question of the validity of [the relevant provision of the Electoral Act] and is not related to any question, not now before this court in these proceedings, of the extent to which the activities, as members of a political party, of [civil servants and other public servants] can validly be restricted by relevant legislation in the interest of the public service. It may well be that the need to ensure objectivity of officers entrusted with the implementation of government programs, continuity of administration and to foster public confidence in and a healthy public perception of the public service are factors that may influence and justify some sort of restrictions. But, as earlier stated, that was not an issue in this appeal. (Ayoola, JSC as he then was)-He took the lead judgement
That same case/
...The section (40) has made no exception and there is no proviso therein limiting its application to civil servants or public officers. It is important to mention that the provisions of the [civil service rules] have not been challenged in this case and therefore their validity is not in issue for determination by this court. Reference to the restriction had been made merely in passing by learned counsel (Bello, CJN as he then was):

So, it is not in order. The OHCSF released a memo on May 05, 2022.

I don't know if you have seen it. She hammered on the same point.
https://thewhistler.ng/memo-fg-bars-civil-servants-from-party-primaries-but-silent-on-political-appointees-refusal-to-resign/amp/

Even in 2015, we saw it because there was no clarity then. That's why the emphasis of the memo now. People did it because they had the backing.

Let us agree the PSR is inconsistent, but it hasn't been challenged, hence, it is still the Rule for those who are civil servants until it is thrown away by the Court.

Section 9 of the CBN Act also forbids the CBN Gov & Deputy-Govs from partisanship. For the Oni v Fayemi, there is a distinction wrt Public Servants though. Even if Emefiele can still contest without resigning however, the fact he must be a card-carrying member to participate in the Primaries shows that he will soon leave.

So, Madam Betty's husband should relax...

It is true that the public service rules has not been specifically challenged but the decision of the Supreme Court in INEC vs Musa has given us an idea of how the court will rule. The decision of the court in Fayemi vs Segun Oni also gave us an idea.

Section 40 of the constitution is as clear as daylight, the public service rule barring civil servants from politics is inconsistent with the constitution and cannot stand. The constitution is supreme to any other law or rules.

Hopefully, someone will one day challenge the inconsistency of the PSR with the constitution. I believe the judgement won’t be different from INEC vs Musa.
Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by Indispensable85(m): 8:33am On May 07, 2022
fergie001:

The Court will roll with the facts. How can Emefiele be an aspirant in an election and he is not a registered member of any Political Party?

We assume he is interested and will run, but he can't resign just yet, but we know he will if indeed he confirms receipt of his form.

Nobody on that ticket can be under-estimated. When Buhari picks your call, nobody will say pim. That's the truth, so everyone there has a CHANCE.

Are you kidding me right now? Haven't you seen his jingles on channels tv? Has he come out to dissociate himself from it? No!

Fergie the way the Apc is right now, even Buhari must be careful or he kills the party with his actions. You think the party will accept an Emiefele just because Buhari wants him? Who knows him in Delta state politics? If the president picks Emiefele they'll rubbish him at the eagles square. It's a secret ballot system. Even the Adamu Abdulahi chairmanship wasn't easy for him, we saw some resistance from some governors like Fayemi.

You mean Osinbajo, Tinubu, Fayemi, Bello, Amaechi will step down for an Emiefele? Just because Buhari says so? Some things are not just possible, let's be realistic. Thank you for making me know your choice candidate. Lol

1 Like

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by fergie001: 9:31am On May 07, 2022
Indispensable85:
Are you kidding me right now? Haven't you seen his jingles on channels tv? Has he come out to dissociate himself from it? No!
But he hasn't come out to confirm it either nah. Friends bought it for him nau, or because he hasn't cried like one man with dual States grin

Fergie the way the Apc is right now, even Buhari must be careful or he kills the party with his actions. You think the party will accept an Emiefele just because Buhari wants him? Who knows him in Delta state politics? If the president picks Emiefele they'll rubbish him at the Eagles Square. It's a secret ballot system. Even the Adamu Abdulahi Chairmanship wasn't easy for him, we saw some resistance from some Governors like Fayemi.

You mean Osinbajo, Tinubu, Fayemi, Bello, Amaechi will step down for an Emiefele? Just because Buhari says so? Some things are not just possible, let's be realistic. Thank you for making me know your choice candidate. Lol
You want to joke with the powers of the President?
What does this President have to lose after May 2023?

There definitely will be resistance, many of them in that race are looking up to the President's direction and that matters. Nothing will happen to the Party, Governors pick people amid opposition and push them from obscurity to positions of Fame as Gov and the President just looks on. Have you heard that Buhari told any Gov to not pick Mr. A or B?

Wait, so Govs sit in their States and endorse whomever they want as Gov, then the President should fold his hands because he doesn't want the Party to crumble; which version of Ancient & Modern is that? He will push his candidate and it's left for them to agree or not..... If they don't, you go to the election and lose like a warrior. Govs/Fmr Govs get too much of a free ride.

You don give me like six aspirants now grin grin grin
Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by fergie001: 9:40am On May 07, 2022
seunmsg:
It is true that the public service rules has not been specifically challenged but the decision of the Supreme Court in INEC vs Musa has given us an idea of how the court will rule. The decision of the court in Fayemi vs Segun Oni also gave us an idea.

Section 40 of the constitution is as clear as daylight, the public service rule barring civil servants from politics is inconsistent with the constitution and cannot stand. The constitution is supreme to any other law or rules.

Hopefully, someone will one day challenge the inconsistency of the PSR with the constitution. I believe the judgement won’t be different from INEC vs Musa.

Oni v Fayemi is somehow not like Emefiele's.
Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by Indispensable85(m): 12:07pm On May 07, 2022
fergie001:

But he hasn't come out to confirm it either nah. Friends bought it for him nau, or because he hasn't cried like one man with dual States grin

You want to joke with the powers of the President?
What does this President have to lose after May 2023?

There definitely will be resistance, many of them in that race are looking up to the President's direction and that matters. Nothing will happen to the Party, Governors pick people amid opposition and push them from obscurity to positions of Fame as Gov and the President just looks on. Have you heard that Buhari told any Gov to not pick Mr. A or B?

Wait, so Govs sit in their States and endorse whomever they want as Gov, then the President should fold his hands because he doesn't want the Party to crumble; which version of Ancient & Modern is that? He will push his candidate and it's left for them to agree or not..... If they don't, you go to the election and lose like a warrior. Govs/Fmr Govs get too much of a free ride.

You don give me like six aspirants now grin grin grin

Many states have been lost because of this practice of imposition too, don't forget. My state is an example. If you impose an unpopular candidate you'll lose, very simple.

See ur choice candidate branded vehicles below. Lol.......una ready

Re: Governor Akeredolu Demands The Resignation Of CBN Governor,emefiele by fergie001: 1:26pm On May 07, 2022
Indispensable85:
Many states have been lost because of this practice of imposition too, don't forget. My state is an example. If you impose an unpopular candidate you'll lose, very simple.
Do they learn from it?

They still impose, so let the President do his own grin

See ur choice candidate branded vehicles below. Lol.......una ready
grin grin grin grin

I don't know the man oooo.

(1) (Reply)

Video Of Tinubu Boasting He Made Buhari The President And "This Thing" Dapo Gov / APC Presidential Primary: Programme Of Event / My Early Predictions For The Elections.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.