Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors (23157 Views)

Atiku/Wike Face Off Divides PDP In Cross River State / Zoning Of 2023 Presidency Divides PDP Govs, Federal Lawmakers / Ondo Deputy Governor Divides PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Kwanza: 5:02am On May 07, 2022
…moves to sway non-PDP states to his favour

A former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, barring any last minute change in permutations is set to pick the presidential ticket of the main opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in next year’s election. Atiku, the PDP’s candidate in 2019 election is one of the 15 aspirants cleared by Senator David Markled presidential screening committee last week, has succeded in dividing the party’s govs who were hitherto working together.

The former vice president is from the North despite growing agitation by Southern and North-central socio-political groups for the party to cede its ticket to the South as the eight year tenure of incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari is expected to lapse in May next year. PDP has scheduled its National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting for Wednesday next week to consider the report of Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue-led 37-member zoning committee.

Though several issues have been lined up, the major contentious one expected to raise tension as the leaders of the party will discuss at the meeting will be that of zoning A party source told Saturday Telegraph that the contest for the PDP’s ticket is between Atiku, his running mate in 2019 and former Anambra State governor Mr. Peter Obi and the incumbent Rivers State governor, Chief Nyesom Wike. Of the two, Obi remains the Adamawa born politician’s major challenger for the party’s ticket at the forthcoming national convention as others are reported to be mulling the possibility of taking shots at other political offices within the party.

A source within the party, who spoke with our correspondent, stated that “In a free and fair contest, Obi is the most acceptable candidate. He enjoys nationwide acceptance, even across party lines. His sound economic management and proven integrity is working in his favour.

“But the problem is that he doesn’t have the money to give delegates. He is not even ready to give even if he has the money. “And you also know that the ‘kingmakers’ will not be comfortable with his austere nature. Obi is not ready to share money. Anybody who is not going to share money will not be in their good books.”

The source said what is going for Atiku is his network of contacts which have worked perfectly well for him as a source who pleaded anonymity said, “He is an experienced politician. As you can see, he has divided the PDP governors. “Before now the gov ernors were working together, to ensure that one of them becomes PDP candidate. But what do you see now? Four of them are in the race. So there is no way all of them will work together again,” the source added. Out of the 13 PDP governors, at least four of the governors are working for Atiku and sources listed them to include his home state governor, Ahmadu Umaru Finitiri, the governor of the neighbouring state of Taraba, Chief Dirus Ishaku, as well their Delta and Edo State counterparts, Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa and Mr. Godwin Obaseki.

The former vice president is likely going to sway delegates’ votes from non- PDP controlled northern states to his side owing to the vast war chest in his arsenal to battle the governors for delegates’ votes in PDP controlled states. “He did it in Port Harcourt in 2018 and it is possible he is likely to repeat the same in this year’s national convention,” a source said. According to him (the source) “Atiku is a clever politician; he refused to join (Bukola) Saraki and others who are campaigning for consensus. He knows it is not going to work, have you seen how it ended?” The former vice president participated in a similar exercise in 2011 where he was chosen ahead of Bukola Saraki by former military President, General Ibrahim Babangida, as preferred candidate of the North.

He however lost to former President Goodluck Jonathan at the party primaries. The source asserted that division among consensus promoters will be an advantage to Atiku. According to him, “It is more likely that Bauchi delegates will vote for Atiku, because Governor Bala Mohammed will be more interested in returning as governor than the presidential ticket. “It is the turn of Saraki to pay for the failed consensus. He is seen as too ambitious. The rejection by the Northern Elders Forum says a lot. The other candidate that is expected to give Atiku a run for his money is Governor Wike who is hoping to deploy huge resources to match him for delegates’ votes but the major snag is that many party members are not too comfortable with his style of governance. “The VAT issue won more enemies than friends, for him in the north,” the party source who spoke to our correspondent added. PDP National Chairman Dr. Iyorchia Ayu however assured of level playing ground for all the aspirants. Iyorchia told Sokoto State governor Aminu Tambuwal that the party has not had a controversial presidential primary before, adding that the National Working Committee (NWC), is working to maintain the standard.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/presidency-atiku-divides-pdp-govs/

2 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Tonypens48(m): 5:14am On May 07, 2022
From the look of things, the battle line will be drawn between Atiku and Peter Obi.
Obi stands a greater chance if the ticket is given to the south. Atiku on the other end might just be one overrated individual that might not scale through the primaries.
Any other aside these two are only for the publicity. smiley

All the best....

Kindly check my signature for your Academic research.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by michlins(m): 5:19am On May 07, 2022
Obi will not win the primary even if he has to the CBN. Dude is too frugal with funds and that's what we need in Nigeria unfortunately we're too hungry to make the right decision. Even the rich are too hungry for to use their sense.

Atiku is most likely going to pick up the ticket and that will unsettle APC because they will need a Northerner and a good Moslem to counter whoever PDP will bring.

Anyway I sell iron doors and stuff

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by MikoB: 5:51am On May 07, 2022
I think it's between Wike and Atiku for the pdp ticket, because in pdp is all about who spends more for the delegates, Unfortunately if Wike can empty River state's treasury he might have it, and what is the way forward for naija if we encourage this?

21 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Maxymilliano(m): 6:20am On May 07, 2022
This is just mere speculations from an unnamed source and not factual.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by BlazinGlory40: 6:55am On May 07, 2022
michlins:
Obi will not win the primary even if he has to the CBN. Dude is too frugal with funds and that's what we need in Nigeria unfortunately we're too hungry to make the right decision. Even the rich are too hungry for to use their sense.

Atiku is most likely going to pick up the ticket and that will unsettle APC because they will need a Northerner and a good Moslem to counter whoever PDP will bring.

Atiku May just be overrated.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by confluence: 6:57am On May 07, 2022
All what is said in the article is nothing but the truth. Just like what Michlin wrote Peter Obi would have been the best candidate from the PDP but he will never spend money to woo delegates, As for Atiku you and I know that money is not the problem and spending it is not the issue
Maxymilliano:

21 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by BlazinGlory40: 6:59am On May 07, 2022
MikoB:
I think is between Wike and Atiku for the pdp ticket, because in pdp is all about who spends more for the delegates, Unfortunately if Wike can empty River state's treasury he might have it, and what is the way forward for naija if we encourage this?

Wike might just be well prepared this time. See I just think atiku is overrated in terms of electoral value. He only has money.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Whazar(m): 7:03am On May 07, 2022
Lol
“Atiku’s dollar divide PDP govs “

Topic fixed

10 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by IgbuduMonkey: 7:04am On May 07, 2022
Just like Tinubu, Atiku is too old for the job. Among the Northerners vying on the PDP platform, Tambuwal and Saraki are the most suited for the job but I will place Tambuwal slightly ahead of Saraki

3 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Nobody: 7:04am On May 07, 2022
I’ll fix your dead phones and laptops at affordable prices

Check my signature for more info

Location is ikeja computer village
Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Felixalex(m): 7:05am On May 07, 2022
Atiku...

Zukwanike!!!
Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by adolfHitler1934: 7:06am On May 07, 2022
Between the two evils, PDP and APC, there's a lesser one, the PDP.
Ordinarily power should return to the South (South East) but for PDP to gain power at the center and recover this already sunk ship it has to allow someone like Atiku to be it's candidate. It is only him for now because of the large followership he has in the vast population of the North, not that he is more competent than Obi. He and Obi can team up and salvage this country together.
Nyesom Wike is good in some aspect of leadership, he is a fearless politician but lacks the civility and too uncouth for someone to preside over a complex entity like Nigeria.

Whatever the case may be, PDP should try and wrestle power from the evil and wicked APC, return the country to the part of economic growth and prosperity. Let those whose life time ambition is to become president be stopped by fire by force because another 8 years of misrule and medical tourism will finally sink this country to an irrecoverable state.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by GooodHardDick: 7:06am On May 07, 2022
We Nigerians have decided that it is Peter Obi we want
We Nigerians are massively voting for Peter Obi come 2023!

Let's come out in mass and vote for Peter Obi, president federal rep of Nig come 2023!!

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by FoolaniHellman: 7:08am On May 07, 2022
He can't match Atiku's Warchest! Simple!!! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by LongBig(m): 7:10am On May 07, 2022
As far as Nigeria politics is concern you can’t take away the big bags, forget about the few intellects, politics is grassroots and who dominates the grassroots? The less privileged who care less about tomorrow but live for today, who am I to blame them? Have you ever live from hand to mouth? E go shock us how the delegates go move in one direction of one man from Adamawa.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by SAMTOBIJU(m): 7:10am On May 07, 2022
The article is so on point. Obi is the best candidate but alaye won't spend, woke will just waste rivers state money, it likely atiku again but is atiku the answer?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by jojejefinilo: 7:11am On May 07, 2022
Ok

Be your own boss
SOLAR and CCTV training classes starts 20th May 2022 @ Apapa Lagos.
Training fee 50k each inclusive practicals and certification.
ADC ELECTRICS
Register now!!
Only 10 seats available....
Check my profile for more information
Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Jones4190(m): 7:12am On May 07, 2022
No amount of prayers, fasting and social advocacy or DATA analysis of how brilliant a Presidential aspirant is will move DELEGATES. DELEGATE understand ONE SYMBOL. When they see it , they do the needful. That SYMBOL leads to determination of who would be 2023 President.

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by DUNDEEMASTER(m): 7:13am On May 07, 2022
Naija. I don know how we got to this. angry angry

So candidate must spend enough money to prove that he really needs to salvage the country. That is why we are not near and serious in this corruption stuff. That is y the looting will never stop.
Walahi, we Neva wan get sense for this country undecided undecided

Obi is the only quality and suitable candidate that will salvage naija economic woes, buh no, we wan criminals like Atiku to pay there way out.
I have come to notice that we Nigerians like suffering.
Even with Bubu encounter we Neva wan get sense angry

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by MikoB: 7:13am On May 07, 2022
BlazinGlory40:

Wike might just be well prepared this time. See I just think atiku is overrated in terms of electoral value. He only has money.

He normally bully them in pdp with money, but this time around Wike is ready, my only fear is that, where are we heading to with this, is what I don't know. Atiku only has money structure, his acceptance rate among the electorates is so low, he only did well the last time because of some circumstances.

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Tareq1105: 7:14am On May 07, 2022
Maxymilliano:

He sponsored the publication, it's their way.
Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by jamesversion: 7:14am On May 07, 2022
GooodHardDick:
We Nigerians have decided that it is Peter Obi we want
We Nigerians are massively voting for Peter Obi come 2023!

Let's come out in mass and vote for Peter Obi, president federal rep of Nig come 2023!!

Who is We grin cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Ibkhaleel: 7:14am On May 07, 2022
I laugh at southerners ...you think voting is online? Who is Obi who knows him? The north wil always decide the president! And Obi and his likes in the south are irrelevant here....keep fooling yourselves online..PDP will LOSE if it gives its ticket to any zone with a lower voting strength. Politics is a game of numbers, not sentiments

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:14am On May 07, 2022
Good in that
Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by sleek214(m): 7:14am On May 07, 2022
michlins:

. I'd like to buy stuff
Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by everythinggirly(f): 7:15am On May 07, 2022
I them what they wish themselves in this coming election.
Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by Bamzyriches451: 7:18am On May 07, 2022
Damn!
Go PDP... Arrange your house let's kick them APC sorry ass
Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by SamPeeLamen(m): 7:20am On May 07, 2022
a
Re: 2023 Presidency: Atiku Divides PDP Governors by toujurs: 7:20am On May 07, 2022
Atiku should carry his gay body and get out, he has nothing to impact in nigeria, at this moment we don't need people like him Please. angry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Production Of Tinubu/Shettima Textiles For 2023 Campaign (pics/vid) / Nigeria 'interested' In Hosting AFCON 2015 / Chevening Scholarship Removes Diezani From Honours List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.