Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,634 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK (61485 Views)

How Is Life Of A Nigerian As An Immigrant To Tunisia / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Disabled Nigerian Immigrant Faces Deportation After 34 Years In US. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by Christistruth00: 3:03pm On May 11, 2022
Burger01:
UK....Lonely cold place. Happy stay. Make sure you visit Obalende Suya Spot cheesy

It is May
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by lightnlife: 3:07pm On May 11, 2022
Thanks.

Well, I'm in the creative space.

Wanted to do the Masters in Comms in Nigeria but couldn't find the time.

Forget wetin you dey see or hear ooo, Oyinbo food no be like our own. It'll take some time for one to adapt.

I've had fries. But I hear most of their dishes are tasteless. You know say we like salt and pepper nam :-)

dplordx:
You write like a pro; been a long time since I enjoyed reading anything on naira land, too many mangled English been tossed around here.
Hope you’d work on a creative writing course and try journalism or media over there. Just got started with masters in communication in LASU, planning to apply for a scholarship to the UK or US for a phd in the next 2 years. Best of luck block! I hope you tried the signature fries and fishes; also hope your partner holds you tight, you be fresh meat for those Hot and lonely London mamas and cougars.

7 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by castrokins(m): 3:07pm On May 11, 2022
Congratulations �
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by lightnlife: 3:08pm On May 11, 2022
You wish.

Not my first nor second.

Assumption is the lowest form of knowledge.

NuCypher:
It seems this is OP's first time traveling out of the country. All signs point to a newbie

Honestly, Nigeria has a lot of natural and human edge ahead of most of the developed countries.

The unfortunate reality of systemic failure, infrastructural deficit, insecurity, economic and social frailty are what is responsible for the mass migration. Not for these reasons, many Nigerians would rather stay back home. There's nothing cheering here.

engrelvis:
Ur right but poverty n bad government v made it special.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by iRepNaija1: 3:08pm On May 11, 2022
OP, you showed more emotion reuniting with your partner than you did saying goodbye to your family members. Anyway, good luck. Racism is real there.

12 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by takin35(m): 3:11pm On May 11, 2022
Congratulations.

Hi Guys, i just got admission into Bangor University MSc in computing. Can anybody enlighten me as regards life in UK where the school is situated? I also work in Nigerian Breweries as a full time employee. Please should i leave for the place or still face my job?

6 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by haywhy17(m): 3:12pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
PART 4: Welcome To The UK

Oh! Trolleys were free in Heathrow, UK. But they're often paid for in Lagos, Nigeria. How so?

You pay for trolley in the US too. Don’t start painting the country black already. You just left and you are already doing this.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by haywhy17(m): 3:13pm On May 11, 2022
takin35:
Congratulations.

Hi Guys, i just got admission into Bangor University MSc in computing. Can anybody enlighten me as regards life in UK where the school is situated? I also work in Nigerian Breweries as a full time employee. Please should i leave for the place or still face my job?

Google map never stop operation bro… congrats on your admission

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by haywhy17(m): 3:14pm On May 11, 2022
iRepNaija1:
OP, you showed more emotion reuniting with your partner than you did saying goodbye to your family members. Anyway, good luck. Racism is real there.

Person wey never get sense. I’m sure it’s the prospect of leaving.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by KIDfurniture(m): 3:14pm On May 11, 2022
Baba life no easy outside Nigeria just as e no easy here. Pick your poison carefully but if u want 24/7 electricity and basic social amenities then Uk is the only place o but u will have to do menial jobs to survive there. Jobs wey u no fit do here…

takin35:
Congratulations.

9 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by tegrianonigltd(m): 3:14pm On May 11, 2022
Cousin9999:
Tell us all about the London girls. tongue

Sweet London babes, Jamaicans the best. You go hate Nigerian babes. These one no Dey stress you.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by Cousin9999: 3:14pm On May 11, 2022

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by mcdokwe(m): 3:15pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
You wish.

Not my first nor second.

Assumption is the lowest form of knowledge.

Honestly, Nigeria has a lot of natural and human edge ahead of most of the developed countries.

The unfortunate reality of systemic failure, infrastructural deficit, insecurity, economic and social frailty are what is responsible for the mass migration. Not for these reasons, many Nigerians would rather stay back home. There's nothing cheering here.

just now now you done turn motivational speaker. Indeed, there's nothing there and Una go go and Una no go gree return

17 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by Marvel578(m): 3:15pm On May 11, 2022
Good Day, congratulations. Please if I want to post anything that will make front page like urs, how do I go about it.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by KIDfurniture(m): 3:16pm On May 11, 2022
You fresh catch for the fake London boys

dplordx:
You write like a pro; been a long time since I enjoyed reading anything on naira land, too many mangled English been tossed around here.
Hope you’d work on a creative writing course and try journalism or media over there. Just got started with masters in communication in LASU, planning to apply for a scholarship to the UK or US for a phd in the next 2 years. Best of luck block! I hope you tried the signature fries and fishes; also hope your partner holds you tight, you be fresh meat for those Hot and lonely London mamas and cougars.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by lightnlife: 3:17pm On May 11, 2022
It's actually Biometric Residence Permit.

maxjax:
British Resident Permit

Cc: anonimi

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by haywhy17(m): 3:18pm On May 11, 2022
mmsen:

Which county is not 'predominantly white' in the UK?

Lagos county.

It’s like looking for state that is predominantly white in South Africa given that South Africa is still better than most African countries. How on earth did you expect black to be predominant in any of the counties… you can only have good percentage, it can NEVER be predominant.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by oluwatobi0519(m): 3:20pm On May 11, 2022
Really happy you made it outta dis freaking deadly zoo
Best life over there B
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by Firstcitizen: 3:20pm On May 11, 2022
tegrianonigltd:

Sweet London babes, Jamaicans the best. You go hate Nigerian babes. These one no Dey stress you.

London babes with Jamaican origin no dey stress even if dem catch you on top another babe. Dem sabi fight sha but e no dey reach mind. Run from the black british born innit girls. Dem fit chook you knife when dem kolo start. Nigerian babes oloshos na the same..... cheats and money crusaders...... run!!!!
Bushmo babes dey plenty and posh babes dey. Na your own status and who you dey hang out with go win you the appriopriate status of babe.

12 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by anonimi: 3:20pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
It's actually Biometric Residence Permit.
Cc: anonimi

Many thanks for the feedback.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by baretalk: 3:21pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:

Yeah! Having options is better than getting stuck with no options.

But then, there are no perfect systems/countries. There are only variations to the quality of life and systems.

No! Dependent route.

My partner works here.

Will try my best with the details and pictures.

Very true. grin

But it's same all over the world. Even in Nigeria, if you have money, you'll enjoy life, if not, na suffer head you dry.

Generally, houses for UK, especially, England are small. It's a conservative country, in all ramification.

Good luck, you seem like a good head, do us proud.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by iRepNaija1: 3:25pm On May 11, 2022
haywhy17:

Person wey never get sense. I’m sure it’s the prospect of leaving.

Oh shut the hell up. No one asked you and don't patronize me. A person can be still excited about traveling but sad about leaving family members behind for an indefinite amount of time. OP deliberately didn't call their mother and got awkward when their sister understandably cried when they were leaving for the U.K. But suddenly, had emotions to express for this partner. Use your sense before quoting me again.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by mmsen: 3:26pm On May 11, 2022
haywhy17:

Lagos county.

It’s like looking for state that is predominantly white in South Africa given that South Africa is still better than most African countries. How on earth did you expect black to be predominant in any of the counties… you can only have good percentage, it can NEVER be predominant.

My comment was in response to the strange statement about Dorset being 'a predominantly white county' as if there are any that are not. I wanted the person who made that statement to respond. tongue

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by lightnlife: 3:27pm On May 11, 2022
I've only stated the fact from first-hand experiences. How's that painting the country black?

In fact, my exposition was followed with a question seeking for insight from those who know better.

haywhy17:

You pay for trolley in the US too. Don’t start painting the country black already. You just left and you are already doing this.

13 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by lightnlife: 3:32pm On May 11, 2022
THANKS! wink

Thryphosa:
This OP writes well. I enjoyed reading all. Good luck to you in UK.

VirileNelly2420:

Congrats.
Meanwhile, Ur write-up is quite captivating....,
Ur adaptation is assured. Gud luck.

msrcusgarvey6:
This guy is talented. I was reading and guessing rightly what next. Your type will succeed. Firstly your English command will make you easy to adopt. Start with anything to do before you normalise your papers. This will uphold your integrity as I understand you're genuine. But never falsely learn to immitate their tongues�

Thanks! I really love to write technical and advanced content, but I'm always too lazy to start. Well done!

Calculux95:
Lovely write up. Seems effortless, I've been writing SOPs for a while now so I have come to appreciate a well written pieces. Waiting for further updates

5 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by iamdapsyj(m): 3:36pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
Part 2: It's Time To Leave Naija

It's the D-Day. I was to fly on a 10:55pm British Airways flight from Lagos to London.

Prior to the D-Day, I had packed my bags and weighed them to ensure I was within the allotted luggage size. No banned products or items.

I arrived at the Lagos Airport at about 6pm or so although I had checked in online in the morning.

After staying in a slow-moving queue, I entered the departure terminal, passed my bags through the scanner and all of a sudden a guy in mufti pointed at my foodstuff bag that they needed to conduct further examination on the content. I queried why that was necessary after the machine had scanned, plus I wasn't carrying any contraband item. He sha said he's not the one that made the call but his oga by the machine, probably, becos the machine couldn't scan all the bag content.

I said no wahala then took the bag to the man. He asked for the content of the bag, I told him foodstuff. He asked if there was palm oil there, I said no. He asked me to zip it up. He then asked me to zip it up and move closer to him for a discussion.

You already know what the discussion was about...MONEY! grin He wanted something for doing his job. I wanted to give him something but I thought of the time-consuming process he went through to do that, then, I said nothing for him. He returned to his sit after much foot-dragging. He tried doing same for an old man, but the Baba was a hoodlum with a harsh tone and he released him pronto. grin Their exchange was so funny.

Just as I was turning to proceed to the BA's counter, another officer in uniform stopped me and asked if I had taken my foodstuff bag to the Export Desk for examination. I wanted to scream at him that I wasn't commercially exporting the stuff. But he was smart to read my face, and immediately said, he's just informing me for future travels. I said okay and proceeded to BA's counter.

Bags were weighed, documents were checked, tags and boarding pass were given. I concluded all this around 8pm. The counter officer said I go straight to the boarding gate. I knew I could move around, chill with friends before proceeding. Mind you, my sister had an official I.D that could give her access to most places in the airport even the departure lounge.

After checking in, I decided to exchange some funds inside the airport. The rate was bad...N765/£. Paid N765,000 for £1,000.

At this point I was feeling hungry, so I walked round the airport to get something to eat. I was craving yam, as I had experienced some stomach discomfort earlier.

So, I sat at a small store and ordered water. Then I added meat pie, which was somehow and I couldn't finish it. Then I thought I should buy groundnut, as my partner likes it nau. It was time to pay and I asked the guy. Guess how much he called my bill for the three items?

N3,000...Omo, I shouted! Wetin I buy nau; Eva Water, Meatpie and Groundnut Kwa? He said water is 500, pie = 1000 and nut=1500. E pain me sha but I paid. It was also a good way to offload some of my Naira notes, cos they may not have same value by the time I return to Naija. wink

Na so I comot the shop and proceeded to the boarding gate. That was another layer of security and luggage check.

The bolded part was so funny, I rolled on the floor...

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by sinkhole: 3:38pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
Thanks!

Thanks!

Ehnehn! All the best but I'm not sure that should be a dominant factor for wanting a partner.

With the right skills and info, you can travel yourself .

"Bro" how did you assume I'm a "bro"? grin

I wonder how people just reason things, another person was jokingly asking of London girls, meaning he is saying you are a guy! But when you hear somebody talking of partner, a lot, that person is most likely going to be a lady, moreso you talked about parking foodstuffs, mostly ladies do that.
In my opinion, you are a lady, but I will read further to confirm my guess cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by orlabot(m): 3:47pm On May 11, 2022
Good write up bro. Pls, I will like you to put me through the procedure of getting a dependent visa in d uk

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by ghettowriter(m): 3:48pm On May 11, 2022
Lovely write up. Enjoy your stay in UK
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by ChristineC: 3:52pm On May 11, 2022
anonimi:

Maybe because most of us here don't pay all our taxes unlike oyinbos
what about the taxes collected from some? anything to show for it?

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by slydog(m): 3:53pm On May 11, 2022
I'm flying to Canada next month
Pls what is this issue with red oil? Na 15liters I dey carry o

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by goody234: 4:02pm On May 11, 2022
BA god forbid una go seat down like sardines inside plane ...i dont do economy seat sha

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

I Just Gave Birth To An American Baby!!! Please Rejoice With Me Guys!!! / Beautiful Pictures Of Abuja You've probably Never Seen Before. / Okada And Keke Ban In Lagos: How Is It In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.