Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,141 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK (61608 Views)

How Is Life Of A Nigerian As An Immigrant To Tunisia / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Disabled Nigerian Immigrant Faces Deportation After 34 Years In US. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by Nozino: 10:32pm On May 11, 2022
Originalsly:

grin .... after being repeated I began to question the gender of the writer.... especially going to the UK! ... but the tone of the writing is a bit on the male side. Seems like those wanting to know have no doubt the one in the UK is male... but not sure of the writer. I believe the ones who found 'something off' are those exposed to a variety of lifestyles.... not condemning... not condoning ... simply curious and like a detective.... searching for clues to ID the gender. But I can bet my life OP been editing and editing and editing to erase any clues! In the end.... I believe OP is female and hiding her gender because of the anti female groupies here on NL... who will quickly tighten their wrappers and call in other sissies to swarm the thread.

On the write up ... this is soooo interesting and captivating and a pleasure to read ! This one be confirmed word artist .... just using words and be painting such a clear image with fine details.... and putting one through the process that one going on the same route for the first time will moving like a veteran! The pics are very interesting and revealing to me! Maybe the first time I'm seeing signs of sunlight in the UK... like always dark... or on a good day.... gloomy. Global warming? The low rider buses.... all electric/hybrid?... red double decker buses no more?... or not in that area? The store is huge!.... like a mall! ... sofas for mansions! Enjoying the thread... and OPs responses!.... be like

bring it on ... I'm right here!

I believe the OP is male and his partner is also male. No one really cares about that. We all wish him well

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by lightnlife: 10:34pm On May 11, 2022
LOL!

No everything wey dey Charity shop be used oooo.

Heard of clearance sales? Plus they're so open to tell you the state of items here even when they're used.

Expensive is relative. Whatever job you do here, in as much as you're earning above the minimum wage, you'll be able to make ends meet, pay your bills and still have some funds left.

We hope and work towards better days sha.

sukkot:
make you no go carry used bed wey get bedbugs oooooo

and bro UK is expensive. you didnt realise that before you japa ni ? even your council tax alone is like 1 million naira

5 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by sukkot: 10:38pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
LOL!

No everything wey dey Charity shop be used oooo.

Heard of clearance sales? Plus they're so open to tell you the state of items here even when they're used.

Expensive is relative. Whatever job you do here, in as much as you're earning above the minimum wage, you'll be able to make ends meet, pay your bills and still have some funds left.

We hope and work towards better days sha.

bros i done enter over 100 charity shops for UK and i never see brand new bed inside there oooo. everything is used. and brother to make ends meet is one thing but to save is another thing. the society is structured to where you can make ends meet but you cannot save . alright maybe you can manage to save 200 pounds a month grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by fx45(m): 10:39pm On May 11, 2022
awokpa:

Na partner dey reign now o
And they carefully conceal their gender in their profile
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by lightnlife: 10:50pm On May 11, 2022
You be collector wey you don enter over 100 Charity shops? grin

The UK system is structured to help people get by with basic essential things, not to amass wealth.

Back home, your acquisition of wealth doesn't guarantee health and safety. You save, save, save and it could amount to nothing, then one person wey no follow u work at all go con chop the money. So, nothing goes for nothing. Like I've always said, there are no perfect systems anywhere. It's best to just have an exploratory mindset. Expect less but work for more.

Generally, I'm a minimalist and just cool with the availability of basic things. I see every other thing as wahala. The Nigerian system doesn't encourage this mindset. Because of the uncertainties, everyone is trying to grab as much as they can grab, as we always say, no one knows tomorrow. shocked

As you may know, family dependence isn't a big thing here. People even older people live on their own happily. The same isn't applicable in most African countries where 15 people will be looking forward to handouts from one big man in the family.

If everyone could be responsible for themselves, dependency will reduce and Africa will grow faster.

As per savings, I believe in upward mobility. Anyone who knows what s/he is doing will financially max out with time.

Fun fact: we were doing well in Nigeria. Resided in a good neighbourhood with cars, property...and we are way below 40. We left everything becos of the gross uncertainties/fragility in/of the country

Coming to the UK is out of exploration. Starting out won't be easy but we know it'll be better. From saving 200 pcm to 2000pcm, we go make am too for this UK.

sukkot:
bros i done enter over 100 charity shops for UK and i never see brand new bed inside there oooo. everything is used. and brother to make ends meet is one thing but to save is another thing. the society is structured to where you can make ends meet but you cannot save . alright maybe you can manage to save 200 pounds a month grin grin

36 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by sukkot: 10:59pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
You be collector wey you don enter over 100 Charity shops? grin

The UK system is structured to help people get by with basic essential things, not to amass wealth.

Back home, your acquisition of wealth doesn't guarantee health and safety. You save, save, save and it could amount to nothing, then one person wey no follow u work at all go con chop the money. So, nothing goes for nothing. Like I've always said, there are no perfect systems anywhere. It's best to just have an exploratory mindset. Expect less but work for more.

Generally, I'm a minimalist and just to be cool with the availability of basic things.

As you may know, family dependence isn't a big thing here. People even older people live on their own happily. The same isn't the applicable in most African countries where 15 people will be looking forward to handout from one big man in the family.

If everyone could be responsible for themselves, dependency will reduce and Africa will grow faster.

the bolded is what i said. but see that works very well if you are a white man but as a black man you want to return home someday and after 20 years the money is not there and many become trapped over there and depressed. the UK has diminishing returns. you get there and enjoy the light and good roads but then you get used to it and then dminishing returns enters and then you start missing home. butyou were unable to save enough to return home so hence the thousands of depressed older men stuck there doing security job at age 70 and one teenage oyinbo boy is bossing them around.

as per the over 100 visited charity shop yes i was once a collector of vintage antique ornaments so i was a charity shop addict. in all actuality i have been to over 500 charity shops all over the UK. i ddnt reveal the tru number initially so you dont thnk i am a weirdo lol.

as per being a minimalist ? i have become one too in recent years. its a more peaceful and easier life

10 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by lightnlife: 11:07pm On May 11, 2022
Interesting!

Understanding systems and processes is the first step to hacking them.

Most immigrants are usually too optimistic or excited to understand how the system works, hence, they become shattered when the realities of the average African-UK migrant hit them.

If after spending 30/40 years in another country, I see no reason why the person won't want to rush home again. Your home is anywhere you spend more than 180 days per year from 5-10 years...My thought, though.

Where in the UK are you now?

sukkot:
the bolded is what i said. but see that works very well if you are a white man but as a black man you want to return home someday and after 20 years the money is not there and many become trapped over there and depressed. the UK has diminishing returns. you get there and enjoy the light and good roads but then you get used to it and then dminishing returns enters and then you start missing home. butyou were unable to save enough to return home so hence the thousands of depressed older men stuck there doing security job at age 70 and one teenage oyinbo boy is bossing them around.

as per the over 100 visited charity shop yes i was once a collector of vintage antique ornaments so i was a charity shop addict. in all actuality i have been to over 500 charity shops all over the UK. i ddnt reveal the tru number initially so you dont thnk i am a weirdo lol.

as per being a minimalist ? i have become one too in recent years. its a more peaceful and easier life

11 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by fagbohun4j(m): 11:09pm On May 11, 2022
I'm hoping to share a story like this soon by God's grace.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by sukkot: 11:14pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
Interesting!

Most immigrants are usually too optimistic or excited to understand how the system works, hence, they become shattered when the realities of the average African-UK migrant hit them.

If after spending 30/40 years in another country, I see no reason why the person won't want to rush home again. Your home is anywhere you spend more than 180 days per year from 5-10 years...My thought, though.

wise words. the bolded. there are many ways you can hack the UK system. operating outside the fringes of society. doing your own thing and not declaring tax etc etc. also some bank manipulations etc cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

you are very rght many think the UK is what it isnt but when people in the UK tell people bak home the harsh reality they label you a hater and that you dont want them tocome and enjoy lol. enjoy what ?

oh i am currently back in nigeria now bro. although naija is looking too crazy for me. i am thinkng about porting to a sane african country cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by biomedics(m): 11:19pm On May 11, 2022
If you come near Taunton don’t forget to say hello to me

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by Albertone(m): 11:21pm On May 11, 2022
Lekan239:
you already heard my partner is working there, what prove did you want again before you denotes they are this our people

Who is this one?
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by sukkot: 11:33pm On May 11, 2022
lightnlife:
Interesting!

am a digital nomad. i can live anywhere. so i told you about my obsession with these small ornaments and things. i bought these ones from charty shop in manchester. brought them here to naija with me . got that binoculars from a charity shop in bolton ( where jeje okocha played )

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by haywhy17(m): 1:47am On May 12, 2022
iRepNaija1:

Oh shut the hell up. No one asked you and don't patronize me. A person can be still excited about traveling but sad about leaving family members behind for an indefinite amount of time. OP deliberately didn't call their mother and got awkward when their sister understandably cried when they were leaving for the U.K. But suddenly, had emotions to express for this partner. Use your sense before quoting me again.

Calm own bro… you must be a naturally angry person… I was referring to the OP and not you when I said “person wey never get sense”. And what I meant by that was why he didn’t have any iota of pity for his folks… why did you take it upon yourself. The country hard pass make person dey fight for now…

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by vikgreen01(m): 2:21am On May 12, 2022
Househelp:
how them dey apply for scholarships abeg

No b light issue oo. Ignore people who are always fond of saying I want to apply for scholarship like it’s a sort of online registration.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by igbsam(m): 2:24am On May 12, 2022
Congratulations.

Anytime you come around Manchester area, you can stop by for a cup of expresso or capuchino.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by TWoods(m): 2:29am On May 12, 2022
lightnlife:
Yes oooo! We did some shopping at Charity shops.

New bed in major shops starts at 650pounds. We got one for 60pounds at BHF. And it's still good.

Why we go buy bed alone for almost N500K?

Depends on what you want. My first bed was the equivalent of 1600 pounds. It reclines in various positions, which is great for my back. Lasted more than 4 years now.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by Ohraykon: 3:38am On May 12, 2022
post=112728472:
Following.......

All the very best in the next chapter of your life.
Kindly represent yourself, your family and your darling nation well.

May God be with you in all you do over there.
It will end in praise for you man.

You are always welcome.
Go and succeed.
Thank you!
shut up

7 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by Ohraykon: 3:41am On May 12, 2022
dplordx:
You write like a pro; been a long time since I enjoyed reading anything on naira land, too many mangled English been tossed around here.
Hope you’d work on a creative writing course and try journalism or media over there. Just got started with masters in communication in LASU, planning to apply for a scholarship to the UK or US for a phd in the next 2 years. Best of luck block! I hope you tried the signature fries and fishes; also hope your partner holds you tight, you be fresh meat for those Hot and lonely London mamas and cougars.
kolo mentality mr English sorry o i sure say you no fit write 1 to 100 for your language nkapi!!!

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by Ohraykon: 3:42am On May 12, 2022
msrcusgarvey6:
This guy is talented. I was reading and guessing rightly what next. Your type will succeed. Firstly your English command will make you easy to adopt. Start with anything to do before you normalise your papers. This will uphold your integrity as I understand you're genuine. But never falsely learn to immitate their tongues�
na by English kolo mentality grin
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by lightnlife: 6:24am On May 12, 2022
SIDE PIECE

Shots from yesterday evening waka waka.

Time was past 7pm.

Have a lovely day, people. kiss

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by anayolity: 6:39am On May 12, 2022
phidipe:
hello i have being following this thread and i have a few questins to ask you, let private chat please i will drop my email after you reply to this request

Make Una no start this nonsense oooooh..... Una come again oooh angry

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by anayolity: 6:53am On May 12, 2022
takin35:
Congratulations.

Hi Guys, i just got admission into Bangor University MSc in computing. Can anybody enlighten me as regards life in UK where the school is situated? I also work in Nigerian Breweries as a full time employee. Please should i leave for the place or still face my job?

Bro, please there Is thread to ask this kind of question for UK student, locate it and do the needful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by anayolity: 7:09am On May 12, 2022
sukkot:
make you no go carry used bed wey get bedbugs oooooo

and bro UK is expensive. you didnt realise that before you japa ni ? even your council tax alone is like 1 million naira

Guy encourage her nahhhhj sad
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by orlabot(m): 7:23am On May 12, 2022
lightnlife:
Your spouse' COS, BRP, Old pictures of both of you, maybe old chats (I didn't do this, though), TB, Police Report for any country you've stayed more than 1 month I guess in the last 3 years or so.

You can read the requirements or ask on the UK visa thread.

Best!

Thanks bro.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by sukkot: 8:45am On May 12, 2022
anayolity:

Guy encourage her nahhhhj sad
oh its a she ? thought she was a dude
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by kindklemz(m): 10:14am On May 12, 2022
CaseSensitive:
Hi from Stockport. We're technically in Spring-Summer season so you may be surprised that it doesn't get dark until around 09:30 - 10PM. Autumn-Winter is a different story as it starts getting dark at around 4PM. Your write-up and how you crafted it was a direct reminiscence of my first time here, it felt like I was in a different world and rightly so, as compared to the world I was used to.

Remember to say your please and thank you
Don't [b]jump queues (very rude)
Don't invoke anything religious
Don't be late for any appointment
Don't drop your rubbish on the floor, even if it's a candy wrapper.

Stick to those basic etiquette and you will be fin[/b]e. Welcome to the UK bro/sis.

I think we need this orientation here in Nigeria,too.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by LogicBomb8: 10:25am On May 12, 2022
lightnlife:
Shots from yesterday evening waka waka.
Time was past 7pm.
Have a lovely day, people. kiss
Nice camera Which phone did you use in getting those clear shots?
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by ike007(m): 10:27am On May 12, 2022
sukkot:
wise words. the bolded. there are many ways you can hack the UK system. operating outside the fringes of society. doing your own thing and not declaring tax etc etc. also some bank manipulations etc cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

you are very rght many think the UK is what it isnt but when people in the UK tell people bak home the harsh reality they label you a hater and that you dont want them tocome and enjoy lol. enjoy what ?

Oga you never go anywhere before...make we hear word.... liar liar pants on fire

oh i am currently back in nigeria now bro. although naija is looking too crazy for me. i am thinkng about porting to a sane african country cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by planetx: 12:02pm On May 12, 2022
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by planetx: 12:05pm On May 12, 2022
haywhy17:

You pay for trolley in the US too. Don’t start painting the country black already. You just left and you are already doing this.
That is how they behave when they finally enter plane for the first time

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Immigrant To The UK by planetx: 12:11pm On May 12, 2022
Legendoo:
Welcome to the land of taxes, bills and racism.

One thing to be aware of, the system has your future planned on your behalf.

You can deviate from the ceiling a bit depending on how smart you are .

Anyways enjoy, e go soon tire you. grin
UK is living on lost glory, but to each their own.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Lagos Plane Crash: Names Of Victims / Fulani Man Helps A Stranded Lady & Her Friends In Jos (Photos) / 10 Of The Most Powerful Passports In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.