Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,237 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

MBTI Personality Type Indicator - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / MBTI Personality Type Indicator (2738 Views)

Has Any One Of You Taken The MBTI Test? / Discuss Your Personality Type Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by LordTheus(m): 4:40pm On May 11, 2022
Bluezy13:

That I question your assertion doesn't mean that I have a counter representation of it.

Well, you've already gone out of your way to counter my position that the brain produces what you call the "mind" by claiming that the mind is an independent phenomenon. It would do us both good for you to explain what you mean by the mind being "independent"
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by LordTheus(m): 4:44pm On May 11, 2022
Bluezy13:

Here we go again...
Attributing the Mind to be a process.

I don't know where you read that from but this is what I claimed verbatim:

LordTheus:
It is literally a result of processes in the human brain.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 7:25pm On May 11, 2022
LordTheus:

Well, you've already gone out of your way to counter my position that the brain produces what you call the "mind" by claiming that the mind is an independent phenomenon. It would do us both good for you to explain what you mean by the mind being "independent"
Among other references, let me point out only a few;

"Mind is viewed as an emergent property of the brain, generated from and dependent upon neural activity, but nonetheless separate from it."
This is an excerpt from Sperry's view of Mind-Brain duality that you quoted.

It will also fascinate us if you could go through this :
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/difference-between-mind-and-brain-neuroscientist/

Now here is my initial hint about the Mind and the brain:
"...The Mind is an independent phenomenon of its own, functioning distinctly depending on the body it embodies. (It is however worthy of note that is should not be regarded as a definition of the Mind)."
By "body" here, I was referring to the brain.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by LordTheus(m): 9:10pm On May 11, 2022
Bluezy13:

Among other references, let me point out only a few;

"Mind is viewed as an emergent property of the brain, generated from and dependent upon neural activity, but nonetheless separate from it."
This is an excerpt from Sperry's view of Mind-Brain duality that you quoted.

Yes, this is otherwise known as property dualism - the position that the mind is an immaterial property of the brain. To be clear however, I'm arguing from a materialist point of view. I assert that all emergent phenomena (including mind and/or consciousness) are a product of material properties and interactions.

It will also fascinate us if you could go through this :
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/difference-between-mind-and-brain-neuroscientist/

Now here is my initial hint about the Mind and the brain:
"...The Mind is an independent phenomenon of its own, functioning distinctly depending on the body it embodies. (It is however worthy of note that is should not be regarded as a definition of the Mind)."
By "body" here, I was referring to the brain.

Basically your position is that the mind is an immaterial thing distinct from the brain - at least that's what I can infer from your assertion as well as the link which you pasted. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now the problem is, by claiming that the mind is distinct from the brain, you have hypothesized an entire plane of being, a radical compounding of all the complexities in the plane of being we can actually observe. And what additional data are you able to explain by adding all this complexity?

Not saying that your position isn't tenable, but by virtue of Occam's Razor, I'd prefer to stick with the materialistic perspective i.e the mind as a product of material processes and interaction in the physical brain because, in my opinion, it is a simpler hypothesis to explain observable phenomena.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 9:54pm On May 11, 2022
LordTheus:

Yes, this is otherwise known as property dualism - the position that the mind is an immaterial property of the brain. To be clear however, I'm arguing from a materialist point of view. I assert that all emergent phenomena (including mind and/or consciousness) are a product of material properties and interactions.

Basically your position is that the mind is an immaterial thing distinct from the brain - at least that's what I can infer from your assertion as well as the link which you pasted. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now the problem is, by claiming that the mind is distinct from the brain, you have hypothesized an entire plane of being, a radical compounding of all the complexities in the plane of being we can actually observe. And what additional data are you able to explain by adding all this complexity?

Not saying that your position isn't tenable, but by virtue of Occam's Razor, I'd prefer to stick with the materialistic perspective i.e the mind as a product of material processes and interaction in the physical brain because, in my opinion, it is a simpler hypothesis to explain observable phenomena.

It is commendable that we are able to distinguish the differed conceptuality of the Mind (that is Materialistically and Immaterialistically).
Nevertheless, I do not deny your attempt to define the Mind in the material sense, only that I suppose the limitation of such definition should not be regarded in entirety, that it is the sole definition of the Mind without giving room to the exploitation of the Immaterial aspect. This is because the loopholes in such definition are pinpointed in the Immaterial aspect.

Now in relation to the initial bone of contention; if one should embrace solely the definition of the Mind in the material sense, then personality should not be an ambiguous a concept as it is already and human behavior should be flawlessly predictable because what is known and can be studied should have a unanimous perception...not hypothetically but with certainty.
On the other hand, the introduction of immateriality would make the concept of the Mind a controversial argument (just as it is already).
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by LordTheus(m): 1:35am On May 12, 2022
Bluezy13:
if one should embrace solely the definition of the Mind in the material sense, then personality should not be an ambiguous a concept as it is already and human behavior should be flawlessly predictable because what is known and can be studied should have a unanimous perception...not hypothetically but with certainty.

Human behavior is only considerably unpredictable due to the fact that we lack proper understanding and judgement towards the human psyche. Countless aspects that we haven’t understood as of now seem to be "random" at first, but can also point out that certain laws in the social sciences, are more flexible in nature in comparison to that of the physical/hard sciences.

As Sherlock Holmes said, if you had all of the variables of human behavior, all of the various threads leading to a certain moment and could analyse them all, then you could predict any behavior. For a bigger example of this, read Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy, which predicts the futures of entire societies.

On the other hand, the introduction of immateriality would make the concept of the Mind a controversial argument (just as it is already).

Perhaps it would. But allow me to ask you this: If the "mind" (which you claim is immaterial) is to have any influence over the body, it will have to cause that body to do physical things in the physical world, wouldn't it? How then can it do this if it is not, itself, physical? In what sense is it a "separate" kind of thing from the physical world if it is capable of stimulating the nerve impulses and muscle movement required for me to put the plans I make in my "mind" into action?
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 10:14am On May 12, 2022
Bluezy13:
Define the Mind.

Magnolia, perhaps we could use your help here. smiley

I don't think my help is needed anymore at this stage, lol.

1 Like

Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 10:39am On May 12, 2022
LordTheus:

Human behavior is only considerably unpredictable due to the fact that we lack proper understanding and judgement towards the human psyche. Countless aspects that we haven’t understood as of now seem to be "random" at first, but can also point out that certain laws in the social sciences, are more flexible in nature in comparison to that of the physical/hard sciences.

As Sherlock Holmes said, if you had all of the variables of human behavior, all of the various threads leading to a certain moment and could analyse them all, then you could predict any behavior. For a bigger example of this, read Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy, which predicts the futures of entire societies.

Perhaps it would. But allow me to ask you this: If the "mind" (which you claim is immaterial) is to have any influence over the body, it will have to cause that body to do physical things in the physical world, wouldn't it? How then can it do this if it is not, itself, physical? In what sense is it a "separate" kind of thing from the physical world if it is capable of stimulating the nerve impulses and muscle movement required for me to put the plans I make in my "mind" into action?

I supposed you should have known the answer to the above because you did use Sperry's definition of the Mind (remember you gave me that definition in the first place).
If you accept his definition of the Mind being an emergent property of the brain and debunks his explanation on that of Mind-Brain duality, then you are being biased and your selective absorption of his theory is partial.

I hope you did go through the link I sent.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by LordTheus(m): 11:29am On May 12, 2022
Bluezy13:

I supposed you should have known the answer to the above because you did use Sperry's definition of the Mind (remember you gave me that definition in the first place).

I think you are conflating property dualism with materialism, which is no fault of yours anyway since both arguments actually seem similar at surface level. I accept that the mind is an emergent phenomenon from the brain, but I also assert that this phenomenon is created by observable material interactions in the brain, and cannot manifest without. I reject the notion that the mind can exist independent of the brain. Contrary to your suggestion, there is no selectivity at play here
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 12:28pm On May 12, 2022
LordTheus:

I think you are conflating property dualism with materialism, which is no fault of yours anyway since both arguments actually seem similar at surface level. I accept that the mind is an emergent phenomenon from the brain, but I also assert that this phenomenon is created by observable material interactions in the brain, and cannot manifest without. I reject the notion that the mind can exist independent of the brain. Contrary to your suggestion, there is no selectivity at play here

In my observation, this argument would have long been done with if you were mindful of your choice of words.

Why do you seek to describe, define or explain the mind if it is a phenomenon ??
The term phenomenon is understood to be an occurrence, a fact, an event, an attribute or property that cannot be fully explained, understood or described...but existing.
Attached below are definitions from Oxfordlearners and Merriam-Webster dictionaries.

1 Like

Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by LordTheus(m): 1:04pm On May 12, 2022
Bluezy13:

In my observation, this argument would have long been done with if you were mindful of your choice if words.

Why do you seek to describe, define or explain the mind if it is a phenomenon ??
The term phenomenon is understood to be an occurrence, a fact, an event, an attribute or property that cannot be fully explained, understand or described...but existing.
Attached below are definitions from Oxfordlearners and Mariam Webster dictionaries.

Ok. I get your point. I suppose property but would be an apt term to use. I tend to overlook semantics in debate because usually in my experience, I've discovered that people mean different things when they use certain words due to a lack of proper understanding of the word. However, sometimes if you pay close attention to the context of discussion and usage of the word, you'll understand what they're trying to say. Thanks anyways
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 1:38pm On May 12, 2022
LordTheus:

Ok. I get your point. I suppose property but would be an apt term to use. I tend to overlook semantics in debate because usually in my experience, I've discovered that people mean different things when they use certain words due to a lack of proper understanding of the word. However, sometimes if you pay close attention to the context of discussion and usage of the word, you'll understand what they're trying to say. Thanks anyways

I admire your approach.
It was an honour.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 4:44pm On May 12, 2022
Magnoliaa:

I don't think my help is needed anymore at this stage, lol.

I understand.
How have you been ?
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 4:57pm On May 13, 2022
Bluezy13:
I understand.
How have you been ?

Short answer: I've been good. smiley How are you?
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 5:07pm On May 14, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Short answer: I've been good. smiley How are you?

I have been okay.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 9:11pm On May 14, 2022
Bluezy13:
I have been okay.

U srue? smiley
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 9:44pm On May 14, 2022
Magnoliaa:

U srue? smiley

Yea...
I supposed you have been very busy lately.

Good evening.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 11:23pm On May 14, 2022
Bluezy13:
Yea...
I supposed you have been very busy lately.

Nope. Just taking a break from posting.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 4:24pm On May 15, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Nope. Just taking a break from posting.

It's okay.
I will be waiting by the corner.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 4:55pm On May 15, 2022
Bluezy13:
It's okay.
I will be waiting by the corner.

Should I come and meet you? grin grin
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 8:14pm On May 15, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Should I come and meet you? grin grin
Yea...sure.

Only if it will be convenient for you smiley
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 8:21pm On May 15, 2022
Bluezy13:
Yea...sure.

Only if it will be convenient for you smiley

Only if you're not saying there should be a reason why it wouldn't be convenient for me...?
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 2:35am On May 16, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Only if you're not saying there should be a reason why it wouldn't be convenient for me...?

Of course I am not saying that.
I would love you to come.
I want you to come.

But the "when", is your choice to make.
"As soon as possible" is my expectation.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 9:58am On May 16, 2022
Bluezy13:
Of course I am not saying that.
I would love you to come.
I want you to come.

But the "when", is your choice to make.
"As soon as possible" is my expectation.

Lol...

Good morning. cheesy
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 10:22am On May 16, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Lol...

Good morning. cheesy

Good morning,
How are you doing ?
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 6:37pm On May 16, 2022
Bluezy13:
Good morning,
How are you doing ?
Great. Sorry for the late response.

I want to show you some pictures...

Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 6:45pm On May 16, 2022
Magnoliaa:

How did you know I love them smiley

I have lots on my phone
Among others, I'm definitely taking that of the little girl by the door.

1 Like

Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by BRATISLAVA: 11:50pm On May 16, 2022
Mindlog:
We covered that at the undergraduate level, PSY 201 Psychology of Personality.

And which of the types do you fall under?
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 10:37pm On May 18, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Still waiting by the corner...
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 7:54pm On May 19, 2022
Bluezy13:
How did you know I love them smiley

I have lots on my phone
Among others, I'm definitely taking that of the little girl by the door.

It was first of all an inkling. Because of your profile picture. And something else I can't remember, before I saw your comment confirming that you like those kind of pictures.

And I was like, "hey, me too. I love them. I am going to show it to him." cheesy

Those kids smiling is everything.

PS: angry How do some of you keep a profile picture for years? Years? Like, damn! Can't be me for anything in the world.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Bluezy13(m): 10:14pm On May 19, 2022
Magnoliaa:

It was first of all an inkling. Because of your profile picture. And something else I can't remember, before I saw your comment confirming that you like those kind of pictures.

And I was like, "hey, me too. I love them. I am going to show it to him." cheesy

Those kids smiling is everything.

PS: angry How do some of you keep a profile picture for years? Years? Like, damn! Can't be me for anything in the world.
I cherish those pictures...
Sometimes, I can be browsing through them for hours looking for nothing in particular.

About my profile, well...I don't fancy changing of pictures. The same is applicable to my WhatsApp and Facebook pictures. They've been there for as long as I can remember.
There was a picture I used before this present one, two local children... a boy and a girl, hands crossed and smiling innocently at each other. I am still looking for the picture on my storage.

By the way, it appears the relation between scarcity and demand as stated by the Economists is being applied between you and I.
Re: MBTI Personality Type Indicator by Magnoliaa(f): 6:42pm On May 20, 2022
Bluezy13:
I cherish those pictures...
Sometimes, I can be browsing through them for hours looking for nothing in particular.

I can imagine. cheesy

There was a picture I used before this present one, two local children... a boy and a girl, hands crossed and smiling innocently at each other. I am still looking for the picture on my storage.

And...have you seen it now?

the way, it appears the relation between scarcity and demand as stated by the Economists is being applied between you and I.

grin To both of us? Abi one person is the scarce commodity and another is the buyer demanding for it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Would You Rather Save In A Burning House:your Wife Or Your Mother. / Advice Urgently Needed About Future Mother In Law / Every Woman Should Read These Rules For Godly Woman..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.