Stats: 3,193,938 members, 7,952,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:17 AM

Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th (8119 Views)

Single Women Are Not Allowed To Lodge In Most Hotels In Kano State- BBC Reporter / Nigerian Women Accounted For 8,000 UK Births In 2011 / SOME OF THE REASONS MOST NIGERIAN WOMEN ARE NOT IN EMPLOYMENTS ABROAD. (2) (3) (4)

Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by JeSoul(f): 4:27pm On Jul 12, 2011
Only 21 countries surveyed, but still interesting . . .

Where Do The World’s Most Stressed Women Live?

(CNN) - A recent study released by the Nielsen Company that examines the consumer and media habits of women in emerging and developed countries has found that women in India are the most stressed – and they spend differently. The Women of Tomorrow Study, which examined 6,500 women across 21 different nations from February through April 2011, found that an overwhelming 87% of Indian women said they felt stressed most of the time, with 82% claiming they had no time to relax.
Indian women are not alone. The vast majority of Mexican (74%) and Russian (69%) women surveyed also reported feeling stressed. List of 21 countries surveyed in order of most stressed women:

1- India (87%)
2- Mexico (74%)
3- Russia (69%)
4- Brazil (67%)
5- Spain (66%)
6- France (65%)
7- South Africa (64%)
8- Italy (64%)
9- Nigeria (58%)
10- Turkey (56%)
11- U.K. (55%)
12- U.S.A. (53%)
13- Japan (52%)
14- Canada (52%)
15- Australia (52%)
16- China (51%)
17- Germany (47%)
18- Thailand (45%)
19- South Korea (45%)
20- Malaysia (44%)
21- Sweden (44%)

Across the board, women in developing economies spent more of their additional cash on clothes, health and beauty items, groceries and education for their children. Women in the developed economies surveyed dedicate more of their cash to vacations, savings and paying off debt. http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/12/where-do-the-world%e2%80%99s-most-stressed-women-live/?s-most-stressed-women-live/&hpt=hp_bn6
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by iice(f): 5:17pm On Jul 12, 2011
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by bzredder: 5:22pm On Jul 12, 2011
Well We are just 2 positions away from UK and USA so it cant be that bad. LOL
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 12, 2011
1- India (87%)

Really?? grin grin grin grin

USA should have come up on top.
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by JeSoul(f): 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2011
bzredder:

Well We are just 2 positions away from UK and USA so it cant be that bad. LOL
Lol.

rokiatu:

1- India (87%)

Really?? grin grin grin grin
Yeah seriously, 87% is crazy . . . but I'm not suprised. The Indians I know are generally strung up, not really known for kicking back and relaxing.

I also found it funny/interesting most of the women in the developing countries spent their money on clothes and beauty and their children, while those in developed nations spent it on vacations and savings.
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by oncolor: 11:40pm On Jul 12, 2011
Nice to see a survey that we are not placed among the worst.
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Sicherheit(m): 1:10am On Jul 13, 2011
I'm surprised they are not #1, when I watch what my aunty and her friends do on a daily basis, me sef I stress for them. undecided
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Nobody: 3:22am On Jul 13, 2011
they should also do a survey on we men
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by MMM2(m): 3:30am On Jul 13, 2011
Am go 2 India 2 confirm angry
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by MMM2(m): 3:33am On Jul 13, 2011
Am going 2 India 2 confirm angry
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by scholes0(m): 5:09am On Jul 13, 2011
Out of Just 21 countries??
Cant be that bad,
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Nobody: 5:32am On Jul 13, 2011
Naija no dey carry last tongue yet first they no dey carry!
poorest place to live
world scammers
populous countries
flooding countries
terrorist countries
kidnapping contries
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Freewilly(f): 5:35am On Jul 13, 2011
And 99.9% of those Nigerian women are Yoruba cry cry

Makes me wonder why my Yoruba sisters are so stressed.
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Kadata(m): 6:33am On Jul 13, 2011
Toaskarity:

Naija no dey carry last tongue yet first they no dey carry!
poorest place to live
world scammers
populous countries
flooding countries
terrorist countries
kidnapping contries

Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by valicious1(m): 7:14am On Jul 13, 2011
Just imagine say the list above na list of developed nations & naija come dey above U.S,China,Japan & U.K, i can't wait for such a day to come. grin
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by gidson12(m): 7:18am On Jul 13, 2011
Sicherheit:

I'm surprised they are not #1, when I watch what my aunty and her friends do on a daily basis, me sef I stress for them. undecided
wat do they do, going around clubing and tryin so hard to attract wealthy men, sure it causes alot of stress
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by gidson12(m): 7:28am On Jul 13, 2011
Freewilly:

why wonder, their unfaithful activities is enough to cause stress
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 13, 2011
gidson12:

Freewilly:

I thought people said ibo women are the most entrepreneur,so why will lazy yoruba sisters be stressed when they are not the ones feeding their husbands like ibo women.From oyingbo market to Aswani, oshodi market even asahawo houses are dominated by ibo sisters working tirelessly to make ends meet !
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Myself2(m): 8:34am On Jul 13, 2011
gidson12:

Throwing heavy stones
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by onaquest: 8:36am On Jul 13, 2011
I think this is a good report oh. has anyone noticed how we are just in the middle. We all know too much stress is a bad thing, but too little stress also can be bad, life iteself is stress. I think in countries where the women have no stress, the men are the one's taking all the stress, now that is bad. Nigerian Women, una try jooo. clap for yourselves smiley
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Rastamann: 8:56am On Jul 13, 2011
USA should have come up on top.

I concur!
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Dotman01(m): 8:58am On Jul 13, 2011
~Bluetooth:

I thought people said ibo women are the most entrepreneur,so why will lazy yoruba sisters be stressed when they are not the ones feeding their husbands like ibo women.From oyingbo market to Aswani, oshodi market even asahawo houses are dominated by ibo sisters working tirelessly to make ends meet !
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 13, 2011
Please can someone tell me how many percentage of women across the 21 countries are represented by 6,500 and what method do they use to allocate the 6,500 participants. na wa ooh. una go just see figure una no go think well b4 una begin yarn towu!! grin
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 13, 2011
[size=15pt] Wow! I wonder what stresses women out.[/size] grin
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by sayso: 10:34am On Jul 13, 2011
But wait oooohhh.isn't UK and US 1 and 2 countries away from ours.no qualms if that is the case.Lett the stress continue jari
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by usbcable(m): 11:55am On Jul 13, 2011
Why Are Indian Women So Stressed Out?

Women in urban India have easy access to domestic help: A full-time maid, cook or driver are not uncommon in their households. Of course, these are luxuries that most working women in the rest of the world can only dream about.

But a recent survey by global research firm Nielsen illuminates another picture. Covering 6,500 women across 21 developed and developing countries, the study’s results show that women in India are the most stressed out. Of the respondents in India, 87% said they felt stressed most of the time. They are followed by women in Mexico (74%), Russia (69%), Spain (66%), France (65%) and Italy (64%). In the U.S., the number is at 53%.

What exactly is weighing on women in one of the fastest growing economies in the world? The Nielsen survey’s respondents point to the requirement of managing multiple roles.

One could well argue that this particular condition exists for women across the globe: Juggling roles at home and work are a given. There is a difference in India, however, says Nirmala Menon, founder and CEO of Interweave Consulting, a Bangalore-based firm that focuses on diversity management and inclusiveness in the workplace. Menon notes that even as career opportunities for women in India are on the upswing, the support structure and social mores have not kept pace. “Nor has the internal psyche of the Indian woman,” adds Menon. “Despite ‘modern’ times, traditional expectations of women are still conveyed in subtle but consistent ways. The Indian woman has far more familial interfaces to manage than her western counterpart.”

According to Hema Ravichandar, human resources advisor and formerly the global head of HR at IT firm Infosys: “Regressive mindsets in society and the workplace; a culture that rewards performance based on effort — with the number of hours spent [working] as proxy indicator — rather than result; rigid work policies which do not factor in the need to spend extra time at home during critical phases like childbirth, adoption, etc., are unique to India.”

There are other reasons, too. Technical infrastructure support and enablers are at a nascent stage in the country as compared to the developed economies. Options like working from home, flex-time, telecommuting and so on have arrived only in the recent past in new industries and are still evolving. “Even in companies which have these facilities, it is not construed as the right thing to do if you are serious about going up the corporate ladder,” says Ravichandar.

A lack of women in executive roles mirrors this. A report by Standard Chartered Bank points out that women constitute only 5.3% of the total number of board members in the top 100 Indian companies by market capitalization on the Bombay Stock Exchange. This is much lower than in other countries, including Australia (8.3%), Hong Kong (8.9%), the U.K. (12.2%), the U.S. (14.5%) and Canada (15.0%). The number of Indian women in middle and senior management roles is not much higher.

Meanwhile, the latest employment data show that worker participation (the ratio of workers to population) fell to 39.2% in 2009-2010 from 42% in 2004-2005. While the decline is marginal for men — from 55.9% to 55% — it is significant in the case of women — from 29.4% to 23.3%. Analysts say that one reason for this is that as men in the family start earning more, women, especially in the lower middle class, opt out of the work force for reasons of social status. In his column in the daily newspaper Times of India, Swaminathan Anklesaria Aiyer noted: “Social mores, especially in the lower middle class, give superior social status to households where women don’t work. When a family with rising income decides to keep females at home, it literally buys social status with the income foregone.”

But the survey’s implications go beyond individuals or families. All of this has wide ramifications for India’s continued economic growth. If the support structure and attitudes towards women, both in the workplace and in society at large, don’t change, women will either simply opt out of the workforce or — faced with endless stress — be far less productive than their true potential. This will result in a sharp blow to the country’s demographic dividend, which though touted as a key factor in India’s growth, is under its own stress. The window for growth is small and, as Ravichandar points out: “Having women as part of your workforce is no longer a nice-to-do but a must-do.”

http://knowledgetoday.wharton.upenn.edu/2011/07/why-are-indian-women-so-stressed-out/
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Princek12(m): 11:57am On Jul 13, 2011
why would Nigerian women not be the among the top 10 stressed women in the world? Instead of taking life easy, they believe they have to make shakara, have an attitude to people they don't know, and so on. Nigerian women stress themselves for no apparent reason.

Go to any gathering of Nigerian women, and you will see that they do not loosen up compared to other African women. They still live in an age where they stupidly think that a woman has to have an attitude not for any apparent reason but because that is what women do. Having that mentality alone can stress women out. And when they are now old and have no man, the stress doubles, making them go to night vigils in these churches and giving their hard earned money to pastors so that the pastors can "pray" for them to find a husband.

Nigerian women just need to take life easy. Life is hard, but it is not that hard. Chillax, ladies.
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by hbrednic: 12:16pm On Jul 13, 2011
false report
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2011
Brand_new:

[size=15pt] Wow! I wonder what stresses women out.[/size] grin

Too much pricks from different men ?
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by gidson12(m): 1:39pm On Jul 13, 2011
~Bluetooth:

the lots of yoruba men who patronize ashawo igbo women indirectly cause 99% strees poll on their wives
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by mallorca(m): 1:47pm On Jul 13, 2011
i dont disagree with the list
Re: Most Stressed Women In The World - Nigerian Women Are 9th by mamosville(m): 2:05pm On Jul 13, 2011
rubish

Yuletide : Transport Union Bans Alcohol Sales In Lagos Motor Parks / Latest Exchange Rates!!! / Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips