Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,904 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag (211 Views)

Amotekun: Yerima Shettima Says North Should Be Ready For Their Own Version / Ahmed Yerima Plans To Succeed Buhari As President / Shettima Yerima: Tinubu Is The Last Person North Will Hand Over Power To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag by powerfulguy: 9:25am On May 11, 2022
Former Zamfara State Governor, Senator Sani Yerima, speaks during an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today on May 10, 2022.

Former Zamfara State Governor and presidential aspirant under the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Senator Sani Yerima, on Tuesday on Tuesday said there is no Nigerian law that determines how and when one gets married.

Yerima stunned many Nigerians in 2009 by allegedly getting engaged to a 13-year-old Egyptian girl, paying $100,000 to the bride’s family.

Speaking during an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today, the ex-governor defended his decision, saying he never did anything wrong.

According to him, there is no society in the country that has an age bracket before marriage can take place.

The senator explained that the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) which initially wanted to try him was forced to drop the case because he did nothing wrong.

“There is no law in Nigeria that determines when and how you get married. Muslims have Sharia, the Christians I don’t know what their doctrines say,” he said.

“If I had done anything wrong, I would have been tried in court. NAPTIP wanted to try the case and they dropped the matter because I didn’t do anything wrong.

“Whatever you are doing, if you are ignorant of the law, then you are bound to have problems. Once you do anything according to law, you don’t have a problem in any society.”

When asked if he would consider marrying a minor again, he neither replied in an affirmative nor negative tone.

Rather, he said that under Sharia law, there are some criteria that will be followed before any marriage would take place.

He insisted that his decisions would always be backed by the law as he would never be caught doing anything unlawful.

The APC chieftain promised to turn around the fortunes of Nigeria should he clinch the APC’s ticket ahead of the 2023 general elections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1afCEp5L13o
https://www.channelstv.com/2022/05/10/no-nigerian-law-determines-how-you-get-married-yerima-speaks-on-child-marriage/
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Re: ‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag by Mirabella01: 9:36am On May 11, 2022
Hmmn... says the chief in command of girls predat...

1 Like

Re: ‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag by rickpat(m): 9:43am On May 11, 2022
I think a law Should be put in place giving a specific age before anyone can get married...to put this nonsense to rest once and for all...since people don't want to use common sense...mtchewww
Re: ‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag by jerryunit48: 9:56am On May 11, 2022
I know they will do anything to defend marrying a minor…
Re: ‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag by siofra(f): 9:58am On May 11, 2022
rickpat:
I think a law Should be put in place giving a specific age before anyone can get married...to put this nonsense to rest once and for all...since people don't want to use common sense...mtchewww

You think those greedy Nigerian politicians would agree

Paedophiles!!!!

I blame the girl's parents angry
Re: ‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag by rickpat(m): 10:01am On May 11, 2022
siofra:

You think those greedy Nigerian politicians would agree

Paedophiles!!!!

I blame the girl's parents angry
they will not,as long as we keep bringing religious considerations in our law making
Re: ‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag by Benbellamor: 10:20am On May 11, 2022
Baba Ijesa comes to mind...alleged 14yr old..so under sharia its normal....practicing 2laws in one circular country
Re: ‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag by Simeon88(m): 10:21am On May 11, 2022
This country is the perfect definition of confusion. If circular law no go favour me I take cover under Sharia law and if tomorrow Sharia law no go favour me I run for cover under the circular law. All in one country. Is our God no wonderful.
Re: ‘no Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married’: Yerima On Child Marriag by jaybenugo: 10:46am On May 11, 2022
No Nigerian Law Determines How You Get Married – Presidential Aspirant, Yerima

(1) (Reply)

We Have Never Had It So Bad In Nigeria / Igbo One Nigerians See / African Development Bank Group Seeks US Support For $1.5 Billion Emergency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.