Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. (30608 Views)

Police Arrest Couple For Selling Their Baby For N50,000 In Ogun / American State Of Virginia Pardons Seven Black Men Executed 70 Years Ago / Dennis Kiyede: Judge Pardons Rapist After Conviction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by infofta(m): 9:55pm On May 12, 2022
I can relate to this.

When I was young my elder brother's wife will punish me with food when my brother was away. She will lock the food and food stuff in her room. I was forced most times to boil water leaf from the back of the house and eat it like that without ingredients. The other day when I was beaten blue black by hunger, I went to my neighbour's house and stole a tuber of yam she was selling, she knew it was me and she came and took it back. There was no GSM phone them to communicate.

This incident I will never forget in my life.

But today, it's now from story to glory. We don't even live in the same country not to mention the
same house.

It can only be God.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Sleekfingers: 9:55pm On May 12, 2022
Nice one

But this can never happen in nigeria. The useless people go don beat them to pulp, before roasting them like goats ....bunch of animals....
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Freerhyme1(m): 10:03pm On May 12, 2022
Sometimes you just have to mercy justice with tamper
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by desiredhome: 10:15pm On May 12, 2022
Eriokanmi:
In Nigeria, the accused would be awaiting trial till he grows old in prison
In Biafra land, the accused will be bunt to ashes
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by godofuck231: 10:18pm On May 12, 2022
When the belly of a man is empty he is no good than a beast , he is at his element
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by darkCoal: 10:55pm On May 12, 2022
This exactly what my religion teaches
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by poiZon: 10:59pm On May 12, 2022
Urheadmaster:
“On humanitarian grounds, especially for the first accused person, I have considered the circumstances under which the offence was committed and I sympathize with her situation, with three kids under her care and no source of income and am of the view that let buy her a bale of wheat flour and some meat for today,” K24 TV quoted Adet as saying.

This judge deserve an accolades cool
For naija, the magistrate for sentence them to 25yrs imprisonment..
So that Nigerian govt will keep spending and looting money budgeted to feeding prisoners..

Our judiciary is not only Corrupt but confused
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Veervee: 11:03pm On May 12, 2022
Springboot:

The fact they were pardoned doesn't mean it should be encouraged or others should also not be punished, stealing is stealing. It always starts from little things so yes even if you steal a pack of indomie, you should be punished.

Are u perfect?
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by einsteine(m): 11:13pm On May 12, 2022
mannasseh:

your point is highly valid, he could have mitigated there punishment but there should have been a punishment, so others who would want to tow same path would be deterred from doing same.

Punishment does not deter from crime. We have the entire human history to show this. If punishment deterred others from committing crimes, we would have a crime free world by now..
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by aycorporat(m): 11:18pm On May 12, 2022
Kojosese:
Socio - No 1 Matchmaking & Hookup App ♥️
Super app for dating, friendships & Hookup ❤️
Visit .ng to get started

It will never be well.with you for spamming good threads with these nonsense
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by jonnyjustcome22: 12:42am On May 13, 2022
You are qualify to be a supreme court judge in Nigeria. We need you
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by ransomed: 12:57am On May 13, 2022
Their problems would have been compounded if it happened in Nigeria.
Politicians are easily pardoned to loot more or given plea bargain. Judiciary has kowtowed.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by nextstep(m): 1:02am On May 13, 2022
mannasseh:
according to the criminal code, the motive for carrying out an action or offence is irrelevant. in my opinion the judgement of the judge is flawed; were is the judgement for the person whose wheat was stolen.

I believe his philosophy of punishment is less of punitive, custodial and deterrence.

I would challenge that with an extreme case: manslaughter vs murder. Both result in death, however the circumstances - provocated vs. premeditated - lead to very different punishments.

A judge is empowered to consider all the relevant facts in order to establish a sentence, which can include pardon, a fine, imprisonment of various terms, with or without hard labor. As far as the person whose wheat was stolen, you have a point, and I don't have an answer. They could insist on compensation, but I doubt that company would like to look bad in people's eyes, and might be inclined to just let it slide, as a cost of business.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Yankee101: 1:06am On May 13, 2022
I salute
Mercy first
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Billygee2u: 1:23am On May 13, 2022
kelvindj98:
Wise Judge. Not all crimes are a result of greed and wickedness, some are due to desperation
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Billygee2u: 1:24am On May 13, 2022
Ftheophilous:
Sometimes you just have to tamper justice with mercy.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by SmallSimba: 4:05am On May 13, 2022
mannasseh:
according to the criminal code, the motive for carrying out an action or offence is irrelevant. in my opinion the judgement of the judge is flawed; were is the judgement for the person whose wheat was stolen.

I believe his philosophy of punishment is less of punitive, custodial and deterrence.

It's a Magistrate, and I agree with you. He should have given her a non custodial sentence and then helped her.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by phemmyfour: 5:29am On May 13, 2022
Ftheophilous:
Sometimes you just have to tamper justice with mercy.
tamper ke
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by ashawopikin(m): 5:56am On May 13, 2022
Nice one
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by iyke2frankeze: 6:22am On May 13, 2022
In Nigeria, jungle justice would have rendered those suffering children parentless leading to more hunger and malnutrition.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Ofiadiegwu: 6:29am On May 13, 2022
Urheadmaster:
“On humanitarian grounds, especially for the first accused person, I have considered the circumstances under which the offence was committed and I sympathize with her situation, with three kids under her care and no source of income and am of the view that let buy her a bale of wheat flour and some meat for today,” K24 TV quoted Adet as saying.

This judge deserve an accolades cool

Sure, you can say that again.

After reading this report from Kenya, I want to state here emphatically that THERE IS HOPE FOR KENYA, BOTH NOW AND IN THE FUTURE
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by sylve11: 7:07am On May 13, 2022
optimistfeel:
Good!!!
If this happen in Naija, they will beat the hell out of them and left them crippled.... They may even attempt to burn them to Ashes ......

No lies here, man. cool

1 Like

Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Boyooosa(m): 7:09am On May 13, 2022
Kenyans don dey think like westerners, Nigerians still dey do like barbarians killing humans for religion reasons, crosscarpeting from doomed party to another ruined party.

Quite unfortunate!
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by DonGtoG1(m): 7:25am On May 13, 2022
The judge deserves promotion to the highest level there's.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by davies(m): 7:40am On May 13, 2022
This can only happen in Kenya ��.
For Nigeria, the company will have bribed the judge just to send the poor man to jail
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Gkemz: 7:41am On May 13, 2022
Let me once see something good happened in Kenya.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Springboot: 8:45am On May 13, 2022
Veervee:

Are u perfect?

I am not perfect but I do not do anything illegal. Try it and you'll have a very peaceful happy life.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by ASUGARUBA(m): 8:54am On May 13, 2022
@ Mr. Judge, may you go far in your profession, as you look in the plight of people may God looks into you.

This is how a developed country started by caring for their citizen.

If to be Nigeria 3 to 6 months imprisonment or 200,000 Naira in like sum.

@ Nairaland take my comment to the Judge
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by mannasseh(m): 10:43am On May 13, 2022
einsteine:

Punishment does not deter from crime. We have the entire human history to show this. If punishment deterred others from committing crimes, we would have a crime free world by now..

your point is valid, punishment doesn't deter people from committing an offence, but when people know that there will be a consequence for their, then that may restrain such person. There are different philosophy on punishment held by different persons, but the law should always supersede.
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by Perfectbeing(m): 10:47am On May 13, 2022
If the law is not bent sometimes, the people will break
Re: Judge Pardons Couple For Stealing Wheat Flour, Raises Money In Court For Them. by DonEvarest(m): 2:48pm On May 13, 2022
mannasseh:

Punitive philosophy of criminal law in Nigeria has not yielded much of good results. Sometimes the judge considers circumstances surrounding a crime before giving his judgement. That's Judicial activism for you. I like the likes of Lord Dennin MR and Niki Tobi JCA for their great imput in law viabtheir activism.
We should seriously be looking towards the corrective philosophy of criminal law or strike a balance between it and the punitive aspect...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bauchi Housewife And Her Daughter Arrested For Starving Her Stepchildren (Photo) / Zino Ziggy: Father Of Rapper Who Fell To Death From Lagos Apartment Seeks Justic / Four Men Gang-rape 15-year Old Girl In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.