Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,156 members, 7,835,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Read This If You Love Real African Stories - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Read This If You Love Real African Stories (256 Views)

New Website to View African Stories / Dominic Onyekachi Creates Digital Collection Of African Stories For Kids - CNN / 10 Nigerian Authors Whose Books You Must Read This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Read This If You Love Real African Stories by Knetpro(m): 6:48am On May 15, 2022
This is the true life story of Kovwo Oteje, a Nigerian entrepreneur.

It all started on a Sunday, 21st April, 1968.

A young man in his 30s was anxiously waiting outside the door of the small room which the community midwife used as her "labor ward".

He had brought his wife, Dawn, to the place the previous evening as she was in severe labor pains and, from all indication, she was due for delivery. Due to the haste with which they had left the house, he had not eaten any real meal or had a proper bath since he brought his wife there.

Though he had returned home in the night and came back first thing that morning, he didn't think of getting anything to eat. The one thought at the back of his mind was to get his wife and the baby home in one piece as quickly as possible.

After having waited for hours again that Sunday morning with seemingly no end in sight, now he was "fit to walk up a wall" in the words of the thriller maestro, James Hadley Chase. But just when he was beginning to wonder how long more he would have to wait and how it all would end, the midwife came out and announced:

"It's a boy!"

The young man jumped up and danced about with pure, undisguised joy while the midwife looked on with amusement on her face. But he couldn't be bothered. She would not understand. At last he had become a father to a bouncing baby boy. Suddenly, tears of joy welled up his eyes as he reminisced the events of the previous two years before this day.

He had come across his wife, Dawn, at a religious meeting and was instantly attracted to her. Dawn was a teenage young girl of about 16 years of age, fair in complexion, with average height and an attractive well-proportioned body. Mr. Smart Oteje, on the other hand, had always been a slim black man of about 6ft in height. At the sight of Dawn, he had falling "head over heels" in love with her.

However, there was a problem. The father of the girl, Mr. James Ughedegba, would not hear of it because he had lofty plans for his daughter. As the only girl in between seven boys, he felt a special kind of love for her. And he wanted to sponsor her education to any level possible. So, when Mr. Smart Oteje began frequenting his house in search of his daughter, Dawn, he was mad with intense rage. And he would literally carry a machete to chase the young man out of his house, screaming after him:

"If I see you step your feet in my house again, I will design your body with tribal marks that you will keep remembering the day you chased a girl all throughout your life."

But, fortunately for Smart, he had an ally in the mother of the girl, Mrs. Gloria Ughedegba. Unknown to him, she was glad that a young man was asking after her daughter and already basking in the euphoria of giving her daughter out in marriage and becoming a mother-in-law. So, she would call the young man aside when she was sure her husband wasn't looking and encourage him not to give up in his quest.

And do you know one thing about women?

They always get what they want. Some would nag and become quarrelsome. Some may even go to the extent of depriving their men of sex and refuse to cook meals in the house. While others would resort to subtler means. But, whichever method or tactics they use, women always get what they want 99% of the time.

I may be right or wrong, but I think I am close enough.

So, Dawn's mother was able to somehow maneuver events and persuade her husband to let the young man marry their daughter. Eventually, the father's dream of sponsoring her daughter through higher education was jettisoned and Mr. Oteje succeeded in marrying the woman of his dreams.

The warmth of the midwife’s touch on his cold hand brought him back from his brief sojourn into the past. "Come and see your little boy", she urged. Thereafter, he followed the midwife into the room. As he entered the small room, his eyes scanned the room quickly until they came to rest on his wife sitting upright on the only bed holding the bundle of joy in her arms and supported by a pillow that had seen better days.

The following day, they were back home. And a week later, Mr. Smart Oteje held a small party to celebrate the arrival of his baby boy into the family. The parents of his wife, the Ughedegbas, were among those who attended the small ceremony.

Giving a short speech, Mr. James Ughedegba, his father-in-law, officially welcomed Mr. Smart Oteje to his family.

"You are now a member of my family." He said. "As a matter of fact, you have become the eldest among all my children. Please forgive me for anything I have done to wrong you in the past and let's bury the hatchet."

Mr. Smart Oteje got up and embraced his father-in-law. Thereafter, they sat down like long lost but newly found friends to drink and make merry. After all, Mr. Smart Oteje had given him something no other person had given to him all his life - his very first grandson. Mr. Smart Oteje, on his part, had also gotten his first male child - an heir that would hopefully pilot his family long after he was gone.

Both men congratulated themselves on their good fortune as they drank and made merry to their heart's content.

So many names were given to baby Oteje. Divine. Precious. Blessing. Gift. And so many others. However, one name which would follow the boy all through his life is the one from his grandmother, Gloria.

Ekpanatakovwoovworejerenhen.

The literal meaning of that name is: "as somebody is told, he does not become like that". Or, put differently, the name simply means: "nobody becomes exactly as he is called".

Other children were to follow in quick succession later on, another boy and 4 girls - making a total of 6 children in the family.

However, tragedy struck a few years later with the passing away of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Gloria Ughedegba at the young age of 38 years. It was as if she had a premonition of her death and wanted to see some of her grandchildren before passing on. It was only young Ekpanatakovwoovworejerenhen and his few months old brother that their grandmother saw before she died.

You have just read the opening chapter of the 299-page smoking-hot mind-blowing new book by Motunrayo Omonoteje titled:

"OMEOVOUSU: Battles Of A Mother And Her Firstborn".

Love to read the complete 299-page stories?

Then get this powerful mind-blowing never-before-read new book by one of Nigeria's finest without delay.

You can get the book on Amazon.

Meanwhile, feel free to download and read a free sample from the link below:

===>>> https://solutionsquarters.com/omeovousu-free-teaser.pdf

(1) (Reply)

Best E-library In Nigeria | Xetatbooks / The Dark Diary Written By Emmanuel Aondoaseer Zaka / Need A Technical SEO Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.