Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia (61654 Views)

How I Cooked My Coconut Fried Rice / The Food I Saw Versus The Food I Cooked / See The Plate Of Rice I Cooked With Just 200 Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by abbeyloyee(m): 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2022
Farfalla:

Hi abbey? I grew up eating these lentils you consider 'strange'. grin

After soaking them and boiling them, drain that water completely. Try using lots of onions, garlic and dry red chilies. Some prefer to add ginger paste, so you can experiment with that. I prefer ginger-free moong.

You can also toast cumin seeds separately and then pour into the pot for the channa.

As for the moong (both split and whole), you can use mustard and/or fennel seeds instead of cumin seeds. If you're a fan of coconut milk like I am, you can add it in your stew. You can also add coriander just after you switch off your stove. Let it just steam inside the food.

Turmeric powder will give your food a pleasant colour so you can utilise it. You can also experiment with ghee instead of palm oil, or just try using any other type of vegetable oil (corn oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, etc).

This dish can be eaten with roti, naan or chapatti.

Just keep experimenting, and whatever you do, don't get economical with onions and garlic.

Bon appetit. cool
Thanks for the yummy explanation, Farfalla
You sabi
I like the natural taste + Onions

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by tillaman(m): 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2022
That’s Chana, it’s an Indian/Bengali delicacy you should try it with Kobuz/ poratta or Rotti
� yummy
Daal is smaller

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by naijaking1: 6:14pm On Jun 12, 2022
One day naija folks go cook and chop dog food, because it's in a beautiful package.
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by Farfalla(f): 6:54pm On Jun 12, 2022
abbeyloyee:

Thanks for the yummy explanation, Farfallá
You sabi
I like the natural taste + Onions

You're welcome.

Please use the fresh garlic. That garlic powder will swallow up all your other flavours.

1 Like

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by lasisi69(f): 7:05pm On Jun 12, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Holla papi..pls how does it taste..?can you like give a Candid explanation..and how much you got it for..?
highness

2 Likes

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by FERNANDEZISBACK: 7:05pm On Jun 12, 2022
lasisi69:
highness
What's that?

1 Like

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by pussyeater(m): 7:07pm On Jun 12, 2022
Bluntguy:
Why you no just cross road buy ewa agoyin for Iyaa Bose shed? No go wound yourself o.
Omo you sabi Iya Bose? Wasere!!!

1 Like

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by Farfalla(f): 7:53pm On Jun 12, 2022
folake4u:

Ah. Thank you for this explanation oh cos I was really wondering how someone would eat that.

You're welcome Folake.

Hehehe. Them Indian folks imported their food to East and Southern Africa, some of which were adopted by the natives.

These lentils are usually a hit or miss dish. You miss an important ingredient or a crucial step and it becomes dog food. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by pocohantas(f): 9:42pm On Jun 12, 2022
Farfalla:

You're welcome.

Please use the fresh garlic. That garlic powder will swallow up all your other flavours.

Lol. You sabi. Garlic and ginger should always be fresh if you can.
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by Agboconsult1(m): 9:51pm On Jun 12, 2022
It looks like monkey pox
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by tonididdy(m): 10:06pm On Jun 12, 2022
I dislike trying new foods
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by folake4u(f): 11:24pm On Jun 12, 2022
Farfalla:

You're welcome Folake.

Hehehe. Them Indian folks imported their food to East and Southern Africa, some of which were adopted by the natives.

These lentils are usually a hit or miss dish. You miss an important ingredient or a crucial step and it becomes dog food. grin

Oh nice. So you guys eat more of Indian cuisines then. Very interesting. cheesy

Hehehe. Someone has to be careful when handling the lentils then. This reminds me of pap. If you miss stirring it correctly, it becomes lumpy.
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by Farfalla(f): 10:18am On Jun 13, 2022
folake4u:

Actually we have our own native foods (by the way, we do have our version of ewedu and ugwu leaves cheesy) but also assimilated various aspects of the cuisines of the people who either colonised, settled or traded across the region. That's how Indian delicacies such as chapatti, moong, samosa, channa, naan, mutton masala, egg masala, chevda and ganthiya found their way into our tables.

folake4u:

This reminds me of pap. If you miss stirring it correctly, it becomes lumpy.

Older aunties around here usually joke that any lump found in a young woman's pap exponentially reduces her chances to be wifed. cheesy I later realized that a woman's eligibility is commensurate with her gold digging skills. The higher your gold digging instincts are, the higher your market value. grin

That aside, our version of amala or fufu is generally known as ugali/sima in Kenya and Tanzania, nshima in Zambia and Malawi, posho in Uganda, sadza in Zimbabwe, and xima in Mozambique. The stiffness and the flour used varies across communities. Some use corn flour, others millet/sorghum flour, while others use cassava flour or a composite of 2 or 3 types of flour. We however do not ferment our cassava like you folks.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by Farfalla(f): 10:19am On Jun 13, 2022
pocohantas:

Lol. You sabi. Garlic and ginger should always be fresh if you can.

Sure.
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by ahnie: 10:41am On Jun 13, 2022
Looks more like beans.
How was the taste like?
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by ahnie: 10:42am On Jun 13, 2022
folake4u:

Hehehe. Someone has to be careful when handling the lentils then. This reminds me of pap. If you miss stirring it correctly, it becomes lumpy.
You mean when pouring in the hot water?
When preparing my pap I don't stir when pouring in the hot water.
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by folake4u(f): 11:07am On Jun 13, 2022
Farfalla:

Actually we have our own native foods (by the way, we do have our version of ewedu and ugwu leaves cheesy) but also assimilated various aspects of the cuisines of the people who either colonised, settled or traded across the region. That's how Indian delicacies such as chapatti, moong, samosa, channa, naan, mutton masala, egg masala, chevda and ganthiya found their way into our tables.

Older aunties around here usually joke that any lump found in a young woman's pap exponentially reduces her chances to be wifed. cheesy I later realized that a woman's eligibility is commensurate with her gold digging skills. The higher your gold digging instincts are, the higher your market value. grin

That aside, our version of amala or fufu is generally known as ugali/sima in Kenya and Tanzania, nshima in Zambia and Malawi, posho in Uganda, sadza in Zimbabwe, and xima in Mozambique. The stiffness and the flour used varies across communities. Some use corn flour, others millet/sorghum flour, while others use cassava flour or a composite of 2 or 3 types of flour. We however do not ferment our cassava like you folks.

This is even more interesting. I know chapatti (courtesy of Indian movies cheesy) and samosa.
That is really nice.

Please what's your native cuisine? At least I know Ghana is known for their shitto and others.

Lmao. That means if I'm in your country, I nor fit be wife material oh cos I nor sabi make pap. lipsrsealed I hate pap sha. Last time I ate it was when I was a baby(and my mum said I even hated it then).

Abi make I come buy Course outline on gold digging skills from una hand? grin grin

I have heard of ugali before (courtesy of some African books I read) but never knew it's actually your version of fufu.

It seems you guys are more heavy on corn, millet and sorghum flour. These are lighter compared to cassava. No wonder y'all are slim and run so fast. cheesy
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by folake4u(f): 11:08am On Jun 13, 2022
ahnie:

You mean when pouring in the hot water?
When preparing my pap I don't stir when pouring in the hot water.

Well,I've seen people stir when pouring hot water oh. cheesy
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by ahnie: 11:11am On Jun 13, 2022
folake4u:

Well,I've seen people stir when pouring hot water oh. cheesy
That's what causes the lumpy thingy.

By the way....my disdain for pap has no rivalry grin

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by folake4u(f): 11:32am On Jun 13, 2022
ahnie:

That's what causes the lumpy thingy.

By the way....my disdain for pap has no rivalry grin

Yes. That's why it becomes lumpy.

I never see anybody wey hate pap and custard pass me oh. grin
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by ahnie: 11:33am On Jun 13, 2022
folake4u:

Yes. That's why it becomes lumpy.

I never see anybody wey hate pap and custard pass me oh. grin
We be comrade

1 Like

Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by folake4u(f): 11:53am On Jun 13, 2022
ahnie:

We be comrade

Comrade-in-arms. cool
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by Zubaidabta12(m): 3:21pm On Jun 14, 2022
Please where you see this picture wey the woman black like polish undecided, I can't imagine the color of the under must be like tar grin
gasparpisciotta:
After filling your own soak away pit, you might need to beg your neighbors to allow you use their toilet.
Re: I Cooked This Strange Food I Found On Jumia by duyilekan98(m): 6:04pm On Jun 18, 2022
Sounds like you need to learn from Cuisn. Cuisn is a social food marketplace that gives you access to free tips, recipes, menu plans etc, from high end chefs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lady Eats Rat Soup Delicacy (Photos) / See The ₦450 Food I Bought In Plateau State / What Could Have Brought This Lonely Big Owl Into Our Compound?(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.