Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,950 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation (11057 Views)

Lagos Flood And What It Caused (photos) / Top 10 'dodgy' Contracts Awarded Under Brf In Lagos State / Defection: PDP Demands Tambuwal's Resignation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by DaDoctor: 9:51am On Jul 14, 2011
Is this justifiable?? To me more time is needed
PDP demands Fashola resignation

July 14, 2011 12:46AM
print email

The Lagos state chapter of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) has demanded for the "immediate resignation" of the governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola over the flooding of most parts of the state on Sunday.

The party also demanded an unreserved apology from the governor and the payment of adequate compensation to the families of those who lost their lives and property in the flood.

The party's publicity secretary in Lagos State, Taofik Gani, made this known in a statement on Wednesday, where it sympathised with residents affected by the two-days heavy downpour.

PDP described the disaster as "an avoidable trauma," insisting that the state government could have done more to prevent the flooding.

"Contrary to the claim by the state government that Lagosians dump refuse and build on the drainage, the actual cause of the flooding is lack of proper drainage. It is uncomplimentary for the state government to accuse Lagos residents for its own negligence, dereliction of duty and maladministration," the statement read.

According to the party, the state government had over the years failed to clear primary drainage in the state which resulted in last Sunday's floods. It also alleged that the blocking of waterways by construction companies also contributed to the flooding.

More blame

Blaming the government for the ongoing Eko Atlantic project, the PDP claimed that the unnecessary sand filling of lagoons, seas and the ocean by the state government also raised the water level of the ocean.

The statement further lamented the frequent collapse of buildings and loss of lives in Lagos State as it blamed the continued collapse of buildings in the state on the inability of the state to punish government officials involved in the monitoring of building construction.

The PDP then called on the state government to provide affordable housing for the people as a way of making substandard buildings unattractive.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5731290-146/pdp_demands_fashola_resignation__.csp
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 14, 2011
LOL!!!! Keep the pressure on him PDP !!! I'm loving it!!! But some of the claims are false. Lagosians dump tons of refuse in drainage systems each day,  He wasn't making it up!!!

By the end of this term, he would have done enough for people to recognize him as the next president!!

Keep it up PDP!!! Thank you, Thank you!!

He can do it I know!! He is the only one with brain among the Yaradua administration govs!
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Kx: 10:00am On Jul 14, 2011
Athough Fashola's motto that Lagos is working has been put to test by the recent flood- natural disaster,in my opinion,if pdp says lagos aint working on the account of the flood, fashola's "failure"is 1000,000 times better than pdp's success (if any) nationwide.

Has pdp leaders at the federal level resigned over jos crisis?
have they resigned over the persistent scarcity and high cost of kerosene etc?
have they resigned of the deplorable state of federal roads?
have they resigned over the no solution electricity crisis?
have they resigned over the killings by boko haram?
have they resigned over the poor state of the economy?
have they resigned over the unbelievable rate of corruption by top govt officials?
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Dotman01(m): 10:03am On Jul 14, 2011
Kx:

Athough Fashola's motto that Lagos is working has been put to test by the recent flood- natural disaster,in my opinion,if pdp says lagos aint working on the account of the flood, fashola's "failure"is 1000,000 times better than pdp's success (if any) nationwide.

Has pdp leaders at the federal level resigned over jos crisis?
have they resigned over the persistent scarcity and high cost of kerosene etc?
have they resigned of the deplorable state of federal roads?
have they resigned over the no solution electricity crisis?
have they resigned over the killings by boko haram?
have they resigned over the poor state of the economy?
have they resigned over the unbelievable rate of corruption by top govt officials?
GBAMMM. . . .abeg no mind them jare
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by DaDoctor: 10:03am On Jul 14, 2011
Constructive and straight to point criticism please!!
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by 1025: 10:20am On Jul 14, 2011
this is coming when nearly all nigerians want pdp to be deleted from our system. how can any normal person prefer pdp to any other party in nigeria?
pdp is a shame, they are a disgrace and a symbol of corruption. as corrupt as acn is, they are saints when compared with pdp.
the last time i checked, those coming from pdp to take over lagos include the most honourable ex-convict, chief olubode george( the most respected criminal in nigeria)
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by jmaine: 12:26pm On Jul 14, 2011
Let me begin . . .

The Lagos state chapter of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) has demanded for the "immediate resignation" of the governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola over the flooding of most parts of the state on Sunday.

Their party has done far worse in National matters without rescining , and the governorship debate before the just concluded poll convinced us that Fashola was miles ahead of other candidates with the PDP candidate coming a distant second  . . .I still believe in him and want to give him the benefit of the doubt to solve the emergency problem swiftly . . . 

Just politics in play here cos, the ACN in opposition could have done the same . .so no bid deal . .

DP described the disaster as "an avoidable trauma," insisting that the state government could have done more to prevent the flooding.

I did rather say reduce or mitigate the impacts of the flooding

Contrary to the claim by the state government that Lagosians dump refuse and build on the drainage, the actual cause of the flooding is lack of proper drainage. It is uncomplimentary for the state government to accuse Lagos residents for its own negligence, dereliction of duty and maladministration," the statement read.

Yes the citizens have their own faults which the government rightly pointed out . . but the Government need to revisit and review the drainage system of the state to cater for the present challenges . . .and that to me constitute a huge percentage in tackling this annual flooding episodes

According to the party, the state government had over the years failed to clear primary drainage in the state which resulted in last Sunday's floods. It also alleged that the blocking of waterways by construction companies also contributed to the flooding.

Fashola Government have being trying it's best to expand and concretize the existent canal in the states while creating more gutters to channel waters into the canal . .i just feel he needs to up the ante in this sector . . .and concerning the embolden,it is so true . . There is Secondary School renovation and expansion going in front of my house and the drainage has being blocked by their sand and gravels . .i have pointed out the danger of this to them on frequent occasion before the rains  . . but they just carry on business as usual  . . .Thank God in my zone, the drainage system could be said to be functioning . . . But we are planning to heed our warning system by reporting them to the appropriate corners . . and we will observe how it goes . .

Blaming the government for the ongoing Eko Atlantic project, the PDP claimed that the unnecessary sand filling of lagoons, seas and the ocean by the state government also raised the water level of the ocean.

irresponsible sand filling and construction due to our lax regulations could be linked to our present predicament . .

The blame game adopted by the government does not seem right . .Yes, the citizens have their faults but the bulk of the problem can be linked to the desk of the government . . .Time will tell how Fash handles this challenge  . .
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by KnowAll(m): 12:33pm On Jul 14, 2011

Banana Island sand filling and Tinubu's Hotel are the culprits, they have really raised the water levels of the Lagoon. It is like pouring sand into a water that is cocooned, what happens, the water level rises and of course the heavy rain does not help matters too. The Lagoon is probably taking more water in than letting more water out into the sea. Recipee for disaster, the outlet to the sea must be widened or something.

However I don't think Eko Atlantic project has any effect to what is happening.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by DaDoctor: 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2011
@KNOWALL ,,good post,
but your last staement isnt so correct, they do!
Check out the meaning of the geological terms trangression and regression using a geologic/geophysical dico

un plannned Human activity in lag is on the increase.It raining tiday again and all hands are on deck somewhere scooping wtaer. God save us
I love Fashola, but he should learn from the word of the ranting PDP
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by duno: 12:51pm On Jul 14, 2011
Da Doctor:

print email

Resignation ke? Has GEJ resigned over the numerous bombings all over the nation? Although i believe that more could have been done by the BRF government to mitigate the effects of the flood, it has not reached the level of asking for resignation. Anyway, its all politics!
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by djustice: 5:36pm On Jul 14, 2011
The idea that people CAN actually dump refuse into the drains is a FAILING of the ACN in terms of the design of the drains.

No sane city in high rainfall areas is building new drains within the last 5 years that are OPEN. It is amazing that for all the lip-service paid by ACN to "world-class" this or "international standard" that, they are still leaving the drains open by design.

Fashola should resign joor, and let Muiz Banire take over from him.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by friedrice1: 5:40pm On Jul 14, 2011
Do we still have PDP in Lagos State?
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Kobojunkie: 5:51pm On Jul 14, 2011
djustice:

No sane city in high rainfall areas is building new drains within the last 5 years that are OPEN. It is amazing that for all the lip-service paid by ACN to "world-class" this or "international standard" that, they are still leaving the drains open by design.

At this point, I don't think calling for resignations makes sense because we just had an election two minutes ago and this here is what the people voted for. I do agree with you that ACN has had ample time in Lagos state to transform a good portion of the states drainage into some WORLD-CLASS system(the habits of the people also considered).
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 14, 2011
Case of pot calling kettle black.

People's Destruction Party

When Jonathan at the helm of the ship's wheel seems to be steering us into an endless swirl circle undecided
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by djustice: 8:36pm On Jul 14, 2011
He should resign.

The sand filling exercise to reclaim more land currently going on around Ilubirin is largely responsible for the worst flooding east of that point. The flow of the lagoon has been constricted right there.

The reason Fashola is tolerating this crazy activity is because it is owned by his godfather, Bola Tinubu and the Oba of Lagos.

Let him resign so we can stop this deadly activity.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by houvest: 1:26pm On Jul 15, 2011
Na today?
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by tpia5: 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2011
More rain is coming.

pdp should be busy advising people to relocate from flood zones.

Yorubas say ogun agbotele kin paro to ba gbon.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by dapachez: 1:43pm On Jul 15, 2011
What seems to be the problem with this good for nothing party mtcHeeeeeeeeeeew
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by zerocool(m): 1:47pm On Jul 15, 2011
Free the man jare. We all know you criticize him cos he is ACN and not PDP.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by mostojr: 1:48pm On Jul 15, 2011
Da Doctor:

print email

The party also demanded an unreserved apology from the governor and the payment of adequate compensation to the families of those who lost their lives and property in the flood.

The party's publicity secretary in Lagos State, Taofik Gani, made this known in a statement on Wednesday, where it sympathised with residents affected by the two-days heavy downpour.

PDP described the disaster as "an avoidable trauma," insisting that the state government could have done more to prevent the flooding.

"Contrary to the claim by the state government that Lagosians dump refuse and build on the drainage, the actual cause of the flooding is lack of proper drainage. It is uncomplimentary for the state government to accuse Lagos residents for its own negligence, dereliction of duty and maladministration," the statement read.

More blame

The statement further lamented the frequent collapse of buildings and loss of lives in Lagos State as it blamed the continued collapse of buildings in the state on the inability of the state to punish government officials involved in the monitoring of building construction.

The PDP then called on the state government to provide affordable housing for the people as a way of making substandard buildings unattractive.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5731290-146/pdp_demands_fashola_resignation__.csp

The dude must be HIGH on petrol. He wants Fashola to resign so that PDP can come and steal what is left in Lagos. GOD FORBID!

Fashola FOREVER!!!!! Even if the entire lagos is buried under the Atlantic.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Fhemmmy: 1:49pm On Jul 15, 2011
No wonder people living long in Nigeria, cos so many comedians
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by VoodooDoll(m): 1:50pm On Jul 15, 2011
So, I take it the PDP maintained Federal Roads did not flood,  embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Or the PDP Federal Government did not see fit to resign after all they did not provide any federal funds to relieve Lagos suffering or even grant a Federal tax holiday so businesses and people that have lost Nbillions can recover.

PDP - Poverty Development Party! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by DaDoctor: 1:52pm On Jul 15, 2011
@mostorjo, dont be biased almost all of our politicians are looters.
It is still clear that Hitech does most of the major road constructions in lag. So also is alpha beta.

But all the same BRF IS GOOD, BUT CAN DO MORE!
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by chines4(m): 1:53pm On Jul 15, 2011
I call that ranting of an ant. Must we politicize everything.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by hackney(m): 1:55pm On Jul 15, 2011
PDP is just DEMONIC.

they are an example of everything wrong with Nigeria.
Infact they are the embodiment of the evil that is tormenting nigeria.
PDP is the reason why nigeria is seen as a dustbin full of monkeys by the international community.

A Governor who has shown examplary feats that are worthy of emulation by the useless PDP hierachy is being asked to resign.
i have always known that good deeds are abhored in the nigeria.
Good people do not last in nigeria and the examples are there for all to see.

What about boko haram: has GEJ f.uxc.ked off? has anyone lost a job due to the joke that are our education or electricity.
Infact it will be very good if boko haram bombs the house of assembly and senate in a full house meeting; and then bomb the presidency fatally.
Did the flooding start in Fashola's tenure?

The PDP is our problem in nigeria.

kill PDP and free Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by cashful(m): 2:07pm On Jul 15, 2011
rantings of politicians, they should also react to the shortcomings of their party nationwide.

djustice:

The idea that people CAN actually dump refuse into the drains is a FAILING of the ACN in terms of the design of the drains.

Fashola should resign joor, and let Muiz Banire take over from him.

even the ones that are covered are still filled with refuse, so the problem is not design but the mindset of the people, (their is no reason for someone to dump refuse into any drain)they should be educated on the effects of such acts, penalized when caught and the waste management authority should be up and doing.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by 27naira(m): 2:10pm On Jul 15, 2011
Please correct me if am wrong, i thought PDP is a natural disaster while ACN is a disaster control mechanism.

why are they pointing fingers? hmm
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by mostojr: 2:11pm On Jul 15, 2011
Da Doctor:

@mostorjo, dont be biased almost all of our politicians are looters.
It is still clear that Hitech does most of the major road constructions in lag. So also is alpha beta.

But all the same BRF IS GOOD, BUT CAN DO MORE!

Yeah I know. Note that I said they want to come and steal what is LEFT in Lagos. I know 99% of our politicians are looters. However, Fashola has done for Lagos what no other governor has done for any state in Nigeria. PDP is just being childish and silly.
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 15, 2011
Well I guess every PDP state governor should resign too along with the clueless and utterly confused Jonathan, sorry Jonathan. No light ,no water,no electricity,no food,no education,no security;total hopelessness and they are still talking; What effrontery!!!
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Delafruita(m): 2:25pm On Jul 15, 2011
@djustice

lagos has for a very long time been a victim of flood which has resulted from activities which include but is not limited to
1. Indiscriminate dumping of refuse
2. Illegal erection of structures on drainages and canals
3. Excessive land reclamation necessitated by land requirements
4. A worldwide change in climate

the floods have been part of lagos for as long as i can remember though the dimension of this year's is quite different.i feel tinubu and fashola after him took and is still taking a lot of measures to combat it.

The PDP in lagos just wants to remind a few people that they still exist.am sure even they know nobody would take them seriously
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 15, 2011
PDP is struggling to be heard in lagos hahahahaha. what a joke. They are now the useless powerless opposition. grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation by Evans5050: 2:28pm On Jul 15, 2011
but there is no more pdp in lagos state  ;d

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Al-Qaeda Suspect Lawal Babafemi To Be Extradited To The U.S / Watch This....intellectual Brawl And Hard Talk. Ex-President Disgraced on BBC. / Imo Contractors Protest Over Unpaid Debts (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.