Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

As Long As I Am Governor, Pensioners Will Be Paid The Same Day As Oyo Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Long As I Am Governor, Pensioners Will Be Paid The Same Day As Oyo Workers (504 Views)

Oyo Workers Continue Protest, Beat Up Colleagues For Non-Compliance / Oyo Workers Protest, Lock Secretariat, Demand Palliatives, Others / Oyo Workers To Get 13th Month Salary December 27 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Long As I Am Governor, Pensioners Will Be Paid The Same Day As Oyo Workers by happney65: 4:24pm On May 17, 2022
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has pledged not to relent in the timely payment of pensioners’ gratuities and arrears by the state government.

Governor Makinde made this pledge earlier today during a thank-you visit by the Oyo State chapter of the Nigerian Union of Pensioners to the Governor at the State Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan.

Speaking during the visit, the pensioners appreciated the Governor for his care for pensioners in the state noting that the story of pensioners in Oyo state has changed from being frail, tired and dying due to the inability to purchase basic amenities to being healthy, fit and strong.

In his response, Gov Makinde appreciate the pensioners for the visit and pledged to continue the timely payment of gratitude as well as payment of backlogs met by the administration.

The Governor noted that payment of pensioners’ gratuities was a promise he made to himself and to his father before he became a governor.

His words: “At the age of 60, my father was diagnosed with diabetes. On his 75th birthday, he called me and said to me, son, I appreciate you for all you spend on my drugs and food. I thank God that I have a son who can afford these drugs and who cares for me. However, what would have happened to me if I do not have a child to buy me these drugs, that means I would have died long before now.

“This became a sort of instruction to me that pensioners must be taken care of by the governor. If they do not have children to take care of them, should the government they served with a sizeable portion of their youth not take care of them? This is what prompted the decision to take care of pensioners when we came to power.

“Pensioners will get paid the same day as workers in Oyo state and it will continue to be that way as long as I remain in office”.

https://oyoaffairs.net/as-long-as-i-am-governor-pensioners-will-be-paid-same-day-as-oyo-workers-makinde/

Cc Mynd44

Re: As Long As I Am Governor, Pensioners Will Be Paid The Same Day As Oyo Workers by Yankee101: 4:28pm On May 17, 2022
I respect this if true
Re: As Long As I Am Governor, Pensioners Will Be Paid The Same Day As Oyo Workers by triple996(m): 4:30pm On May 17, 2022
Story
Re: As Long As I Am Governor, Pensioners Will Be Paid The Same Day As Oyo Workers by Parachoko: 4:32pm On May 17, 2022
Good one GSM.
Re: As Long As I Am Governor, Pensioners Will Be Paid The Same Day As Oyo Workers by sirmustyla(m): 6:55am On May 18, 2022
While a governor I know is owing pensioners over 30 months pension arears - he is presently scheming to go to the Senate after his second tenure. Another governor I know who's presently deluding himself by campaigning to be president is paying active workers percentage salary begining from 30%. Just imagine 30% of 30k minimum wage, that's 9k to take home; and if the person is on loan that means 1 or 2k to take home after thirty days. Sometimes if I think about it, I'll want to cry and Lough at the same time.

1 Like

Re: As Long As I Am Governor, Pensioners Will Be Paid The Same Day As Oyo Workers by 1nigeriamyfoot: 7:12am On May 18, 2022
But you are owing some workers who are not even a pensioner yet

Judiciary went on strike some weeks ago

Many newly recruited state workers are yet to collect their salaries

Governance is not all about paying salaries because last administration's also paid salaries without noise
Re: As Long As I Am Governor, Pensioners Will Be Paid The Same Day As Oyo Workers by jowhyte(m): 7:13am On May 18, 2022
This is very commendable of GSM because not all state governors do it promptly monthly.

This is one major thing that rate Governor Obaseki of Edo state high. Latest 24th of each month my wife don receive alert.

Same thing goes for pensioners. I learnt from my brother’s wife in high court that once she retires the following month she don already dey get her monthly alert.

Now Obaseki has also recently increased minimum wage and my wife is telling me it will also reflect in their May salaries.

We know it’s no biggie and the duty and obligations of every serious government to put the interest of their workforce salaries and pension payment first but not all state governors do it especially now that they are now complaining of paucity of funds from the center as excuses.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NLC President And TUC President Register With Labour Party / Lagos Government crushes seized motorcycles: Okada ban / Biden Evacuated From Beach Home After Plane Enters Restricted Airspace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.