Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,662 members, 7,955,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:02 AM

Please What Is The Stand Of Islam Concerning Philosophy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please What Is The Stand Of Islam Concerning Philosophy? (295 Views)

What Is the Stand Of The Pope About The Killing Of Christians In Nigeria? / Rulling On Masturbation 2: The Stand Of The Catholic Church / The Stand Of The Bible On The Ordination Of Women Pastors. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Please What Is The Stand Of Islam Concerning Philosophy? by ThinkSmarter: 11:06pm On May 19, 2022
I was raised a christian but now an apostate.
I am just curious about how islam views philosophy and its thought provoking teachings and questions. Especially how it scrutinizes religion and God.
Re: Please What Is The Stand Of Islam Concerning Philosophy? by IMAliyu(m): 12:05am On May 20, 2022
ThinkSmarter:
I was raised a christian but now an apostate.
I am just curious about how islam views philosophy and its thought provoking teachings and questions. Especially how it scrutinizes religion and God.
If it supports Islamic notions then it's good and welcomed.
If it opposes it then it should be done away with.
This is the framework Muslims are expected to approach philosophy or any other sets of ideas with.
Modern day Islam is rather hostile to philosophy especially if it scrutinizes religion and God, which would be considered as blasphemous. Unless you are engaging in Islamic philosophy.

Muslim Arabs and Persians from the Middle ages (Golden age) were deeply influenced by and revered Greek philosophy and at least in their time considered Islam as a religion that encouraged the pursuit of knowledge and truth.
This led to advances in technology, medicine, and science at the time, by adapting a willingness to investigate, question and form theories about the world, citations in literature and methods of enquiry were developed, by adopting some Aristotelian theories about the world and a level of skepticism.
There existed a willingness to also ask questions about the nature of God and to form theories about God as a broader extension of sufism being spiritually closer to God, and also a willingness to find "truth" in other monotheistic religions. (truth here means similar to Islam basically)
However these things were never to be questioned.
The existence of God
The oneness of God
And Muhammad was his Messenger, thus Islam was the one true religion, even if some other religions contained some amount of truth in them.

So, philosophy had an impact on the Islam and Muslims of that past, but only in regards to speculation about the spiritual, and the science and tech of the time, but never did extend to the question of God and/or scrutiny of religion, and present day Islam is more dogmatic now than it was then.
Re: Please What Is The Stand Of Islam Concerning Philosophy? by ThinkSmarter: 8:21am On May 20, 2022
IMAliyu:

If it supports Islamic notions then it's good and welcomed.
If it opposes it then it should be done away with.
This is the framework Muslims are expected to approach philosophy or any other sets of ideas with.
Modern day Islam is rather hostile to philosophy especially if it scrutinizes religion and God, which would be considered as blasphemous. Unless you are engaging in Islamic philosophy.

Muslim Arabs and Persians from the Middle ages (Golden age) were deeply influenced by and revered Greek philosophy and at least in their time considered Islam as a religion that encouraged the pursuit of knowledge and truth.
This led to advances in technology, medicine, and science at the time, by adapting a willingness to investigate, question and form theories about the world, citations in literature and methods of enquiry were developed, by adopting some Aristotelian theories about the world and a level of skepticism.
There existed a willingness to also ask questions about the nature of God and to form theories about God as a broader extension of sufism being spiritually closer to God, and also a willingness to find "truth" in other monotheistic religions. (truth here means similar to Islam basically)
However these things were never to be questioned.
The existence of God
The oneness of God
And Muhammad was his Messenger, thus Islam was the one true religion, even if some other religions contained some amount of truth in them.

So, philosophy had an impact on the Islam and Muslims of that past, but only in regards to speculation about the spiritual, and the science and tech of the time, but never did extend to the question of God and/or scrutiny of religion, and present day Islam is more dogmatic now than it was then.
I'm not surprised.
I thought as much, hence the reason for creating the thread to quench my curiosity.
Literally someone like I have crossed the so called Red Line due to my philosophical inclination.

(1) (Reply)

The Funny Testimony Of An Alcoholic After He Got Healed Of His Disease / When Pastor's Prophecy/decree Don't Come To Pass, Do You Get Back To The Pastor? / Find Out For Yourselves.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.