Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay (606 Views)

Kukah Replies Presidency: Even Buhari’s Wife Disagrees With His Policies / Onnoghen Resigned To Avoid Being Dismissed - Prof. Itse Sagay / Why NJC Can’t Consider Onnoghen’s Case - Prof Itse Sagay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by bennybuhari: 1:22pm On May 21, 2022
Professor Itse Sagay SAN, Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), has described former Military President, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (IBB) as a dictator who did everything to cling to power at all cost until he was forced to step down in August 1993.

In his autobiography titled ‘ All Will Be Well’ which was launched in Lagos last week and made available to DAILY INDEPENDENT, Sagay who described Babangida as a lapdog of the western economic institutions, said many of the policies introduced by his regime greatly ruined Nigeria’s economy.

One of such economic policies, according to Sagay is the Structural Adjustment Programmes (SAP). This policy has moved the Nigerian currency from One Naira to a Dollar in 1985 to more than N500 to a dollar today.

In pages 488 and 489 of the book under the sub-heading ‘No Alternative to SAP’, Sagay wrote “Babangida was not only a dictator who clung to power at any cost, but he also introduced many toxic measures which have ruined our economy. He was a lapdog of the Western Economic Institutions which wanted to keep the underdeveloped world down.

“Babangida woke up one morning and introduced what he called SAP, Structural Adjustment Programme. Technically, Structural Adjustment Programmes are economic policies for developing countries that were promoted by the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) in the early eighties by the provision of loans conditional on the adoption of obnoxious back-breaking policies.

“These measures included the devaluation of the currency to 10% of their original value, the liberalisation of importation, mass retrenchment in the public sector and cuts in the already pitiful welfare programmes. In return, Nigeria qualified again for loans which were needed to repay the interest on the outstanding loans which were already consuming three-quarters of the country’s foreign exchange earnings (Adewale Maja-Pearce 1989).

“It is no surprise that one Naira which was equivalent to one Dollar in 1985, is now N500 to one Dollar (as at the time of writing this book). That is the catastrophic effect of SAP.

“To add salt to injury, Babangida’s government had the guts to insult Nigeria further by announcing that there was no alternative to SAP.

“Chief Gani Fawehinmi, Festus Iyayi, Dr Tai Solarin and a few others decided to take Babangida up on this challenge and announced a conference on “Alternative to SAP”. Dr. Festus Iyayi was to be the main presenter and many of us were looking forward to this alternative that would expose the Babangida’s regime fraud.

“We all arrived in Gani’s chambers complex that morning with the public pouring in anxiously in order to hear that, contrary to government lies, there was indeed an alternative policy to SAP. Suddenly, there were armed policemen everywhere, chasing us all away with tear gas.”
https://independent.ng/ibb-a-dictator-his-policies-ruined-nigerias-economy-sagay/

1 Share

Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by SarkinYarki: 1:24pm On May 21, 2022
No his policy saved Nigerian the ruins of Buharis 1983 disaster
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by nairavsdollars(f): 1:25pm On May 21, 2022
And that is the same man all our presidential aspirants are running up to for blessing and endorsements

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by hisexcellency34: 1:33pm On May 21, 2022
In China, people like IBB won't be alive
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by mrvitalis(m): 1:35pm On May 21, 2022
Coming from someone serving under Buhari

What ibb did was forced on him as a result of trying correct the disaster of buhari's government
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by Rastaramsey(m): 1:35pm On May 21, 2022
All this one nah rubbish talk....
Babangida wey don commot for power since how many years now sad sad
Those fools wey dey there before nko

This foolish man wey dey use us nko

Why una no come out dey bash am
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by Okoroawusa: 1:37pm On May 21, 2022
Only kids born a few years back wouldn't know that
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by Okoroawusa: 1:40pm On May 21, 2022
Anytime I remember Babangida regime I feel like crying....

The Maradonna
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by tollyboy5(m): 1:51pm On May 21, 2022
Okoroawusa:

The Maradonna
You must be an old man
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by tollyboy5(m): 1:53pm On May 21, 2022
mrvitalis:
Coming from someone serving under Buhari

What ibb did was forced on him as a result of trying correct the disaster of buhari's government
You people will go any length to spite buhari and end up doing just yourselves
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by hisexcellency34: 1:59pm On May 21, 2022
him and obasanjo. evil being
Okoroawusa:

The Maradonna
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by nairavsdollars(f): 2:41pm On May 21, 2022
He ran a chop i chop. unlike Buhari
Okoroawusa:

The Maradonna

1 Like

Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by bennybuhari: 6:29pm On May 21, 2022
IBB is out of power but still technically in power
Rastaramsey:
All this one nah rubbish talk....
Babangida wey don commot for power since how many years now sad sad
Those fools wey dey there before nko

This foolish man wey dey use us nko

Why una no come out dey bash am
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by ba7man(m): 6:37pm On May 21, 2022
SarkinYarki:
No his policy saved Nigerian the ruins of Buharis 1983 disaster
You are so confidently ignorant and dumb.

I'm sure you are a little boy with a phone.
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by bennybuhari: 6:54pm On May 21, 2022
The Northerners will always defend its own no matter how bad. He is really ignorant
ba7man:

1 Like

Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by Racoon(m): 7:20pm On May 21, 2022
And the catastrophic Buhari government is serving today have done what? Pot calling kettle black.
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by SarkinYarki: 7:56pm On May 21, 2022
ba7man:

Name one Babangida economic policy that was bad? You would say SAP? Do you know when Babangida overthrew Buhari the Nigerian economy was already in tatters and the only way out was the Proviso bound IMF loan and that Proviso was SAP
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by bennybuhari: 8:25pm On May 21, 2022
But if you read the article, it said SAP is responsible for high rate of dollars today
SarkinYarki:

Name one Babangida economic policy that was bad? You would say SAP? Do you know when Babangida overthrew Buhari the Nigerian economy was already in tatters and the only way out was the Proviso bound IMF loan and that Proviso was SAP
Re: IBB A Dictator, His Policies Ruined Nigeria’s Economy – Prof. Itse Sagay by nairavsdollars(f): 8:09am On May 22, 2022
Babangida shouldn't be putting mouth in Nigeria’s affairs today
SarkinYarki:

(1) (Reply)

Video: Stampede In Church Leave Many Dead In Porthacourt / FILE: Nnamdi Kanu Told Nyesom Wike He Will Never Win Election Anymore In Nigeria / Photo: Exercise Your Franchise, Vote Wisely- Buhari To Delegates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.