Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,687 members, 7,816,799 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia (635 Views)

US Navy Seals Seized Weapon Sent By Iran To Arm Houthi Rebel In The Red Sea / Moldova President's Dog Bites Austria President's Hand During Visit (Photos) / Florida Senate Rejects Ban On Assault Rifle, Approve Bill To Arm Teachers(Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by KillerCrocodile: 11:32pm On May 21, 2022
The UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss has revealed she wants to send weapons to Ukraine’s neighbour Moldova to defend against a potential strike from Russia.

The Foreign Secretary wants the country to be ‘equipped to Nato standard’ and is discussing the prospect with allies.

Truss said she wants ensure Ukraine is ‘permanently able to defend itself’, and this also applies to other ‘vulnerable states’ such as Moldova, which is not in Nato.

She said this is important, given Vladimir Putin has been ‘clear about his ambitions to create a greater Russia’.

‘What we’re working on at the moment is a joint commission with Ukraine and Poland on upgrading Ukrainian defences to Nato standard,’ Truss told the Telegraph.

‘So we will scope out what that looks like, what the Ukrainians need. The question then is how do you maintain that over time ?

‘How do we ensure that there is deterrence by denial, that Ukraine is permanently able to defend itself and how do we guarantee that happens ?

That’s what we are working on at the moment.

‘And that also applies to other vulnerable states such as Moldova. Because again, the threat is broader from Russia, we also need to make sure that they are equipped to Nato standards.’

Pressed on whether she wants to see Western weaponry and intelligence provided to Moldova, Ms Truss said: ‘I would want to see Moldova equipped to Nato standard. This is a discussion we’re having with our allies.’

She said that just because Putin’s attempts to take Kyiv weren’t successful, it doesn’t mean he’s abandoned his ambitions of seizing territory in Eastern Europe.

An aide told the Telegraph that ‘Nato standard’ would involve members of the alliance supplying modern equipment to replace Soviet era gear.

Moldovan troops would also be provided training on how to use the new weaponry.

It comes as the Prime Minister spoke to Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdogan about the global response to the conflict in Ukraine.

Boris Johnson emphasised that Finland and Sweden would be valuable additions to the Nato, No 10 said.

Mr Erdogan said he opposed their accession to the military alliance – accusing the pair of not taking a ‘clear stance’ against groups his country perceives to be terrorists.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2022/05/21/uk-wants-to-arm-moldova-to-nato-standard-to-guard-against-russia-16684697/amp/

Also Read :

Turkey set terms for Finland and Sweden to Join NATO
https://www.nairaland.com/7128682/turkey-sets-demands-not-opposed

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by God1000(m): 11:34pm On May 21, 2022
Putin has bitten more than he can chew

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by godofuck231: 11:37pm On May 21, 2022
Russia hardly lost a war. In its history ' either way their adversaries loose

4 Likes

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by MrHeff(m): 11:39pm On May 21, 2022
From the once feared Putin to someone everyone is flagrantly calling his bluff... See where gragra has landed him...

Avoid see finish at all cost.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Merisbankie(m): 11:54pm On May 21, 2022
let USA keep arming Ukraine and stop disturbing us with their money laundering scheme

1 Like

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by SUPERPACK: 12:27am On May 22, 2022
Same way they armed Ukraine when the fear of Russian invasion started but yet it did not help them much. They should spend more time having peace talks rather than shading out weapons that will end up in the hand of terrorists that will cause more havoc.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by ken6488(m): 12:39am On May 22, 2022
God1000:
Putin has bitten more than he can chew
Russia has annex almost east Ukraine

8 Likes

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by gambojimeta: 2:21am On May 22, 2022
godofuck231:
The lost to the Taliban and Japan when they were a bigger USSR.
Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by gambojimeta: 2:22am On May 22, 2022
MrHeff:
From the once feared Putin to someone everyone is flagrantly calling his bluff... See where gragra has landed him...

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by panafrican(m): 2:41am On May 22, 2022
'told you.
UK is the warmonger leading all this mess in continental Europe.
Those British have a problem inherent to their geographical situation. They are frustrated to be an island nation.

3 Likes

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Kingsnairaland(m): 5:48am On May 22, 2022
gambojimeta:

they came back and beat Japan and took Japan Island. Taliban every one ran away from them even USA.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Kingsnairaland(m): 5:50am On May 22, 2022
panafrican:
'told you.
UK is the warmonger leading all this mess in continental Europe.
Those British have a problem inherent to their geographical situation. Their are frustrated to be an island nation.
they are so unhappy Moldova don't even want their nonsense weapons that did not help Ukraine or Afghanistan lol.

1 Like

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by VictorUSA(m): 6:11am On May 22, 2022
I said it several times that the west only wanted Russia to invade Ukraine so they can use that as a pretext to do whatever they wish to tame and destroy putin.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by freakyamanda(f): 7:17am On May 22, 2022
That was not Taliban. That was a western backed Islamic alliance that culminated into Alqaeda led by Osama in Laden. remember, the new York times praised Osama as a hero in the 80s
gambojimeta:

4 Likes

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by compton11(m): 7:37am On May 22, 2022
gambojimeta:

they lost to Japan when they were Russian empire!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by godofuck231: 8:13am On May 22, 2022
gambojimeta:

not really ' russia na just complicated people ' its like being in a desert 'and getting bitten by a viper and you still happen to hit it's its not dead ' its badly injured but you will surely go down ' thats Russia

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by tonididdy(m): 10:09am On May 22, 2022
MrHeff:

He's still the most feared.
So much so people want any form of protection from the unknown grin

Putin na cultistx

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Kelvin3476: 7:13pm On May 22, 2022
godofuck231:
U FORGOT TO ADD "WITH THE HELP OF U.S", BUT U.S IS AGAINST THEM NOW.
Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Kingsnairaland(m): 7:18pm On May 22, 2022
VictorUSA:
I said it several times that the west only wanted Russia to invade Ukraine so they can use that as a pretext to do whatever they wish to tame and destroy putin.
you can't destroy putin who is actually greater than all USA president combined.
Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Kingsnairaland(m): 7:20pm On May 22, 2022
Kelvin3476:

USA fears death that why Russia will win them twice on Sunday.

You seem to forget that the West stalled their Normandy Landing because they were waiting for Germany's top battalions to be wiped out by Russia first (at the expense of Russia and Eastern Europe) US and UK only entered Europe when Germany was at it's weakest.
Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by VictorUSA(m): 7:21pm On May 22, 2022
Kingsnairaland:
you can't destroy putin who is actually greater than all USA president combined.
Sir, I can feel your painsgringringringringrin
Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Geniuelander: 8:05pm On May 22, 2022
VictorUSA:

grin grin wink cheesy cheesy
sir,I can feel your pains

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Svlla: 8:14pm On May 22, 2022
I dont know if Maya Sandu is being ambitious or stupid

Moldova needs Russia to survive.
Common gas dem no fit pay for but the EU they run to want to create another EU for losers that will include Ukriane, Georgia also.

Well, Moldovan politicians are warming up for her. Continue frolicking with the West at the detriment of your people and see what awaits you

Gaugazia has given her government stern warning about their European ambition that it will breakaway

I wonder if Chisinau(Moldova) can fight both Tiraspol (Transnistria) and Comrat(Gaugazia) at the same time

Bad leadership is killing this people and they blame it on Russia

2 Likes

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Drenimarcus(m): 8:16pm On May 22, 2022
Svlla:
I dont know if Maya Sandu is being ambitious or stupid

Moldova needs Russia to survive.
Common gas dem no fit pay for but the EU they run to want to create another EU for losers that will include Ukriane, Georgia also.

Well, Moldovan politicians are warming up for her. Continue frolicking with the West at the detriment of your people and see what awaits you

Gaugazia has given her government stern warning about their European ambition that it will breakaway

I wonder if Chisinau(Moldova) can fight both Tiraspol (Transnistria) and Comrat(Gaugazia) at the same time

Bad leadership is killing this people and they blame it on Russia

Is it me or it seems all the EU leaders and subordinates are all swaying to one side? I know they all been bought, but it just pathetic to see how easily they make decisions at the detriment of their citizens.

Residents of Swedish Gothenburg came out to a mass rally against the country's accession to NATO: the protesters believe that the Swedish authorities act wrongly in taking the decision to join the North Atlantic Alliance.

2 Likes

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Kingsnairaland(m): 8:18pm On May 22, 2022
VictorUSA:

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/2010/06/29/i-looked-the-man-putin-in-the-eye-and-saw-the-enemy/?outputType=amp

In 2001, President George Bush issued a truly astounding appraisal of Vladimir Putin, the former KGB agent who has run Russia since replacing Boris Yeltsin in 1999. "I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straightforward and trustworthy. We had a very good dialogue. I was able to get a sense of his soul; a man deeply committed to his country and the best interests of his country."

1 Share

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Svlla: 8:28pm On May 22, 2022
Drenimarcus:

Is it me or it seems all the EU leaders and subordinates are all swaying to one side? I know they all been bought, but it just pathetic to see how easily they make decisions at the detriment of their citizens.

Residents of Swedish Gothenburg came out to a mass rally against the country's accession to NATO: the protesters believe that the Swedish authorities act wrongly in taking the decision to join the North Atlantic Alliance.

I dont understand how these European leaders reason

Most of them that are actively against Russia has big problems in their backyard

Estonia for instance has nar.va, the whole Ida.viru region in Estonia has over 400k Russian speakers
For a country of 1.3 million....that's over 25% and the best thing is that this place is in eastern Estonia at Russia border

But see how loud they are with anti Russian rhetoric....even to point of threatening to close border with Russia

1 Like

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by godofuck231: 8:34pm On May 22, 2022
Kelvin3476:
the us know this , the are avoiding a face to face battle , it will not end well, simple Afghanistan look what it did to the US
Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Drenimarcus(m): 8:39pm On May 22, 2022
Svlla:

I dont understand how these European leaders reason

Most of them that are actively against Russia has big problems in their backyard

Estonia for instance has nar.va, the whole Ida.viru region in Estonia has over 400k Russian speakers
For a country of 1.3 million....that's over 25% and the best thing is that this place is in eastern Estonia at Russia border

But see how loud they are with anti Russian rhetoric....even to point of threatening to close border with Russia

They are all US lapdogs now. Barking from US behind. Borell is saying that the EU should take responsibility for its security by creating a European armed forces cheesy

1 Like

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Svlla: 8:43pm On May 22, 2022
Drenimarcus:

They are all US lapdogs now. Barking from US behind. Borell is saying that the EU should take responsibility for its security by creating a European armed forces cheesy

I thought Nato is EU military wing grin

I will like to see how that works out for them cheesy
Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Drenimarcus(m): 8:47pm On May 22, 2022
Svlla:

I thought Nato is EU military wing grin

I will like to see how that works out for them cheesy

Borrell says EU military stocks are depleted due to aid to Ukraine cheesy cheesy. Gotta give it to Putin man, they prepared for all this. Russia is showing other countries how to counter the Evil Empire.

1 Like

Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Svlla: 8:51pm On May 22, 2022
Drenimarcus:

Borrell says EU military stocks are depleted due to aid to Ukraine cheesy cheesy. Gotta give it to Putin man, they prepared for all this. Russia is showing other countries how to counter the Evil Empire.

Disarmament of EU grin

They should continue sending arms to Ukraine while Russian continue gaining grounds and nearing completion of its objectives
Re: UK Wants To Arm Moldova To Guard Against Russia by Drenimarcus(m): 8:55pm On May 22, 2022
Svlla:

Disarmament of EU grin

They should continue sending arms to Ukraine while Russian continue gaining grounds and nearing completion of its objectives

Well, most of these weapons are blown up or captured by Russian forces. I wonder how they managed to enslave africans if they are this dumb.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Is Igbofam? / What part of the world Is The West? / For The 1st Time In History Russia Use A Uav Drone To Blow Up Ukraine Mig-29 Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.