Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad (3195 Views)

VP Osinbajo Drives Kona, Nigerian-Made Electric Car At #MadeInNigeria Exhibition / What Is The Average Mileage Of Car Per Year In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by jceesquare(m): 4:41am On May 29, 2022
sultaan:
By normal standard that car has gone past it's useful life. It will cost more to keep it on the road the fuel it and the repair cost is more than it's worth so it's a J.

Some trick I learnt recently is you take it to radauto ainor problem then come to nairaland to complain your car is worse off with the hope of getting more things fixed for less
Do you have to do this (@ bolded)?

1 Like

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by sultaan(m): 4:54am On May 29, 2022
We should be able to talk without hiding things. I may be wrong, and I may be right, but the bolded is a plausible action when push to the wall by the huge expense Toyota is
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by kingreign(m): 6:18am On May 29, 2022
sultaan:
[s]By normal standard that car has gone past it's useful life. It will cost more to keep it on the road the fuel it and the repair cost is more than it's worth so it's a J.

Some trick I learnt recently is you take it to radauto a minor problem then come to nairaland to complain your car is worse off with the hope of getting more things fixed for less[/s]
I used to respect you a lot back then cos of your vast knowledge in automobiles but lately you seem to speak more of fallacies than truth.

3 Likes

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by chukel(m): 1:54pm On May 29, 2022
otipoju:

What year make and model is the car.

At 242, 474 the car is closer to its grave . It is like a 70 years old man that will be lucky to get to 90 years old.
you know nothing Jon snow

4 Likes

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by chukel(m): 1:56pm On May 29, 2022
arthurwillia:

It’s original toks direct from usa
Not accident car
Everything is good just the mileage and price of about 2.4 for buying and shipping
now I have my doubts. 04 toks highlander foe 2.4m? Impossible
Nb. Just saw the buying and shipping. It's possible. The problem will be the duty. The car has to be cleared as 2010 highlander.

3 Likes

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by chukel(m): 1:58pm On May 29, 2022
buygala:

@ bolded.. The 2.4m.. Is it inclusive of clearing and fixing of minor issues the car came with?.. Who is gonna be responsible for possible wharf damage and theft of parts?

Be careful so that you don't spend more than what you will spend if you simply walk into a car lot in Nigeria and buy the toks of exact same kind of car

In my opinion, it is better to walk into any car stand in Nigeria, do your due diligence on any vehicle you select, pay, and zoom off.. For less than a profit of 150k sometimes, the car dealer bears all the uncertainties accompanying buying, trucking, shipping, and clearing.. I think allowing him that profit is far better than having sleepless nights for weeks or months tracking vehicle from the abroad to nigeria, casting and binding wharf rats, etc.

new duty for that car is over 1m now
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by sultaan(m): 2:20pm On May 29, 2022
kingreign:

I used to respect you a lot back then cos of your vast knowledge in automobiles but lately you seem to speak more of fallacies than truth.

Sometime when we are surrounded by the wrong things it is hard to understand what the right thing is.

As a people we now shop for cars from the dumpster of automobile and we can't see past the J in front of us because we have attached too much value to it. We should not be talking about this. As a group that should be the wealthiest black nation there are better things in this world

1 Like

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by otipoju(m): 3:12pm On May 29, 2022
chukel:
you know nothing Jon snow

Mad man. I see you are a car dealer. You fit carry your own money buy car of 242,000 miles.

Are you saying the value of a 50,000 or 100,000 mile car is the same as 242,000 any where in the world

Na your papa be jon snow. Were Asaba!!!
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by Itsrm(m): 4:20pm On May 29, 2022
otipoju:

Mad man. I see you are a car dealer. You fit carry your own money buy car of 242,000 miles.

Are you saying the value of a 50,000 or 100,000 mile car is the same as 242,000 any where in the world

People just like arguing unnecessarily

The guy himself will not go near a low mileage car on auction because oyinbo no go allow am buy am. They bid them through the roof.

The ones they leave for us are the ones beyond 150k miles.

So the oyinbo people know how relevant mileage is but come here on nairaland you start hearing how maintenance is the main thing as if low mileage vehicles don't get maintained. Na only high mileage ones dem dey maintain.

I will not use my money to buy a car significantly above 150,000 miles.

1 Like

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by otipoju(m): 4:30pm On May 29, 2022
Itsrm:

People just like arguing unnecessarily

The guy himself will not go near a low mileage car on auction because oyinbo no go allow am buy am. They bid them through the roof.

The ones they leave for us are the ones beyond 150k miles.

So the oyinbo people know how relevant mileage is but come here on nairaland you start hearing how maintenance is the main thing as if low mileage vehicles don't get maintained.

Na only high mileage ones dem dey maintain. I will not use my money to buy a car significantly above 150,000 miles.

Thank you. The guy just throw abuse from nowhere all because i expressed my informed opinion on something i know well. In the last 8 years, ive changed cars 6 times. The higher the mileage the harder it is to sell. 242k miles i wont even click on the link.

1 Like

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by Itsrm(m): 5:32pm On May 29, 2022
otipoju:

Thank you. The guy just throw abuse from nowhere all because i expressed my informed opinion on something i know well. In the last 8 years, ive changed cars 6 times. The higher the mileage the harder it is to sell. 242k miles i wont even click on the link.

At the back of their minds they all know the truth. Give them a 60k and a 240k mile car and ask them to pick one.
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by arthurwillia(m): 6:17pm On May 29, 2022
chukel:
now I have my doubts. 04 toks highlander foe 2.4m? Impossible
Nb. Just saw the buying and shipping. It's possible. The problem will be the duty. The car has to be cleared as 2010 highlander.
wow that can be high, it’s going to to be shipped next week
How much will be the cleeeing
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by chukel(m): 8:21pm On May 29, 2022
otipoju:

I bought my 2003 Lexus Gx470 a at 243k miles. It has 280k now. Your problem is crass ignorance. An SUV runs an average of 15k miles per year. You will be a very silly man buying an 18yr old SUV and expect mileage of less than 100k which your delusional likes always prefer. Average for an 18yr old SUV is 270k miles. If you get 242k miles, it's below average and so it's good. Ignorance will kill you. Your type will end up with scrap that was rolled back to less than 100k miles.

5 Likes

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by otipoju(m): 8:55pm On May 29, 2022
chukel:
I bought my 2003 Lexus Gx470 a at 243k miles. It has 280k now. Your problem is crass ignorance. An SUV runs an average of 15k miles per year. You will be a very silly man buying an 18yr old SUV and expect mileage of less than 100k which your delusional likes always prefer. Average for an 18yr old SUV is 270k miles. If you get 242k miles, it's below average and so it's good. Ignorance will kill you. Your type will end up with scrap that was rolled back to less than 100k miles.

So as dense as you are you dont know that the service records of a vehicle that will detail the car mileage when it was brought for service can be obtained with simply the VIN number.

I dont know wether you know who you are talking to but i worked in Auto Insurance Claims Adjusting for at least 3 years.

A car at 500 000 miles will still run. We are TV alkning about mileage in relation to wear and tear and as such affecting the price of the car.

As i dey now any car less than 2017 model feels outdated to me with the DAT technology in newer versions of cars....not to talk of car of 18 years ago.

Why would i go to market and buy a car of 242k miles?
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by chukel(m): 9:08pm On May 29, 2022
otipoju:

So as dense as you are you dont know that the service records of a vehicle that will detail the car mileage when it was brought for service can be obtained with simply the VIN number.

I dont know wether you know who you are talking to but i worked in Auto Insurance Claims Adjusting for at least 3 years.

A car at 500 000 miles will still run. We are TV alkning about mileage in relation to wear and tear and as such affecting the price of the car.

As i dey now any car less than 2017 model feels outdated to me with the DAT technology in newer versions of cars....not to talk of car of 18 years ago.

Why would i go to market and buy a car of 242k miles?
you are very dense. Very empty. You can't even intelligently hold a discussion. The thread is about an 18yr old car with a mileage of 242k. Now swerve dullard. By your username, I should probably know you are a nonentity who worked at auto insurance claim. Does that make you knowledgeable when it comes to cars? So many lunatics on Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by otipoju(m): 10:10pm On May 29, 2022
chukel:
you are very dense. Very empty. You can't even intelligently hold a discussion. The thread is about an 18yr old car with a mileage of 242k. Now swerve dullard. By your username, I should probably know you are a nonentity who worked at auto insurance claim. Does that make you knowledgeable when it comes to cars? So many lunatics on Nairaland.

Stop crying. I dont know about cars. But i know that only a man with limited funds will go buy an a year old car of 242,000 miles that has definitely seen its best days.

I also know enough that the approximate mileage of a car can easily be gotten in 30 seconds with its VIN and last title so chances of buying a car with rolled back mileage from deceitful dealers like you is very slim.

You can wail all you want but i wont pay you any mind to you i am spoiling market for your crooked ass.
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by diportivo: 12:27am On May 30, 2022
oro yi ni?

abi imi?

cos gbogbo isu ata yanyan ti mo nka yi o necesstri

bi owo se mo,l'oogun nmo

going back and forth on a car ready to be shipped until worth it

1 Like

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by valarinz: 7:20am On May 30, 2022
otipoju:

Stop crying. I dont know about cars. But i know that only a man with limited funds will go buy an a year old car of 242,000 miles that has definitely seen its best days.

I also know enough that the approximate mileage of a car can easily be gotten in 30 seconds with its VIN and last title so chances of buying a car with rolled back mileage from deceitful dealers like you is very slim.

You can wail all you want but i wont pay you any mind to you i am spoiling market for your crooked ass.

Is it really necessary to do this, at the bolded?

The OP knows the car he can afford and went for it, you don't have to come rubbing it in his face the fact you can afford something newer,he's not in a competition with you

Na wa for black men sha

5 Likes

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by otipoju(m): 8:02am On May 30, 2022
valarinz:

Is it really necessary to do this, at the bolded?

The OP knows the car he can afford and went for it, you don't have to come rubbing it in his face the fact you can afford something newer,he's not in a competition with you

Na wa for black men sha

Well great things start from small beginnings. There is nothing to be ashamed of. We have all been there at some point. I never meant harm to the OP , na that dealer wey dey talk oversabi na him i dey talk to.
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by valarinz: 8:33am On May 30, 2022
otipoju:

Well great things start from small beginnings. There is nothing to be ashamed of. We have all been there at some point. I never meant harm to the OP , na that dealer wey dey talk oversabi na him i dey talk to.

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by 9icetoo(m): 9:53am On May 30, 2022
nurey:

That's almost 400,000km though I am not worried about the car itself I bought one at 500,000km and used it for 8years still factory engine and factory gear.

But the 4cylinder highlander has the 2azfe engine known for extreme oil burn, I would prefer you find one with the V6 engine
Not all 2azfe engines burn oil. There was a bad batch.
I drove one for a few years and travelled extensively with it. Drove it like I stole it sometimes and I never had to top oil due to oil burn.

If the rate of oil burn is 1l per 1000miles or 1600km though, I think anyone can live with that.
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by 9icetoo(m): 10:07am On May 30, 2022
Some people sha.

Same people making noise about never buying high mileage vehicles will walk into a car stand and tell a dealer that his low mileage accident free 08 ES350 is too expensive at N5.5m because his neighbour has a similar car on sale for N4.5m.

Same people will eventually buy an accidented or privately sold problematic (usually transmission or engine) vehicle and be visiting one mechanic or the other after a few months or get stuck at ore on the cars first trip out of Lagos.

Maintenance is key!!!

My car is 201xxx and was bought with 173xxx.
It's still going strong.

Don't expect low mileage on an old car.
In this case the OPs car is below average mileage expected.

These cars can easily do 300k+ if maintained properly.

The average Nigerian barely covers 5000 miles in a year.

At that rate it will take the OP about ten years to get to 300k miles.

He would have got his money's worth from the car.

Car has been bought already OP, so enjoy your ride.

Don't allow negative people dampen your joy.

Cheers.
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by Itsrm(m): 10:25am On May 30, 2022
9icetoo:
Some people sha.

Same people making noise about never buying high mileage vehicles will walk into a car stand and tell a dealer that his low mileage accident free 08 ES350 is too expensive at N5.5m because his neighbour has a similar car on sale for N4.5m.

Same people will eventually buy an accidented or privately sold problematic (usually transmission or engine) vehicle and be visiting one mechanic or the other after a few months or get stuck at ore on the cars first trip out of Lagos.

Maintenance is key!!!

My car is 201xxx and was bought with 173xxx.
It's still going strong.

Don't expect low mileage on an old car.
In this case the OPs car is below average mileage expected.

These cars can easily do 300k+ if maintained properly.

The average Nigerian barely covers 5000 miles in a year.

At that rate it will take the OP about ten years to get to 300k miles.

He would have got his money's worth from the car.

Car has been bought already OP, so enjoy your ride.

Don't allow negative people dampen your joy.

Cheers.

Any car can do 1m miles if you have enough money to spend on it.

What we are talking about is the cost of ownership. You bought your vehicle at 173k miles and is now at 201k miles. How much have you spent to keep it on the road compared to someone who bought his at 73k miles and is now at 101k miles. That is the point you're missing.

Granted you would have gotten yours cheaper than he got his but how about the cost of downtime while the vehicle is sitting at the mechanic workshop for repairs.

It's even funny how people who know better forced you to buy a car with 173k miles and you're here still arguing the obvious.

There are several well maintained 18 year old cars on auction still below 150k miles with decent prices. Why are we not advising the OP to get them? He must not use a highlander if he can't afford the cost of getting one with reasonable mileage.
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by 9icetoo(m): 3:59pm On May 30, 2022
Itsrm:

Any car can do 1m miles if you have enough money to spend on it.

What we are talking about is the cost of ownership. You bought your vehicle at 173k miles and is now at 201k miles. How much have you spent to keep it on the road compared to someone who bought his at 73k miles and is now at 101k miles. That is the point you're missing.

Granted you would have gotten yours cheaper than he got his but how about the cost of downtime while the vehicle is sitting at the mechanic workshop for repairs.

It's even funny how people who know better forced you to buy a car with 173k miles and you're here still arguing the obvious.

There are several well maintained 18 year old cars on auction still below 150k miles with decent prices. Why are we not advising the OP to get them? He must not use a highlander if he can't afford the cost of getting one with reasonable mileage.

1 Kickstarter (12k)
2. 1 brake disc (24k)
3. One coil (6k)
4. Oil change (as needed)
5. Transmission oil change (as per maintenance schedule)
6. Axle oil and differential oil (as per maintenance schedule)
7. Front and rear brake pads (expected after 30k miles of use
8. 2 tyres
9. Set of shocks and linkage (I travel a lot and haul heavy stuff so was expected. Our roads are also wonderful).

I have not broken the bank to maintain it.

Rest.

He will buy what he can afford.

There is no guarantee that a car below 150k miles won't require all of the above and even more to be replaced during use here.

Once again, rest oga.

Mileage is not the litmus test for buying a car.

Allow the OP enjoy his car.

7 Likes

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by melviniyke2002(m): 4:05pm On May 30, 2022
sultaan:
By normal standard that car has gone past it's useful life. It will cost more to keep it on the road the fuel it and the repair cost is more than it's worth so it's a J.

Some trick I learnt recently is you take it to radauto a minor problem then come to nairaland to complain your car is worse off with the hope of getting more things fixed for less

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:57pm On May 30, 2022
Lower mileage doesn't guarantee better reliability. That mileage is a bit high, though, and you'd probably be better off with something having less miles on it than. Unless, of course, you have evidence that this car has been well-maintained.

1 Like

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by Itsrm(m): 8:18pm On May 30, 2022
HeavenlyBang:
Lower mileage doesn't guarantee better reliability. That mileage is a bit high, though, and you'd probably be better off with something having less miles on it than. Unless, of course, you have evidence that this car has been well-maintained.

Agreed. Neither does high mileage. Chances of having better reliability is higher with low mileage vehicles.

Maintenance or no maintenance, high mileage is when you start having issues with failing door actuators, windows not rolling down or not coming up after rolling down, and plenty other little things that add up.
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by kingreign(m): 8:46pm On May 30, 2022
Itsrm:

Agreed. Neither does high mileage. Chances of having better reliability is higher with low mileage vehicles.

Maintenance or no maintenance, high mileage is when you start having issues with failing door actuators, windows not rolling down or not coming up after rolling down, and plenty other little things that add up.

What if at one point in the car owners possession, these things failed and were replaced or repaired with genuine brand new OEM or higher quality aftermarket parts?

Ever heard of Dealership maintained cars?

1 Like

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by Itsrm(m): 8:54pm On May 30, 2022
kingreign:

What if at one point in the car owners possession, these things failed and were replaced or repaired with genuine brand new OEM or higher quality aftermarket parts?

Ever heard of Dealership maintained cars?

A car has over 30,000 parts and about 1800 large parts. How many of them would the previous owners have replaced? There are enough things to break in high mileage cars
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by kingreign(m): 9:12pm On May 30, 2022
Itsrm:

A car has over 30,000 parts and about 1800 large parts. How many of them would the previous owners have replaced? There are enough things to break in high mileage cars

It’s a toyota, not some random bmw

1 Like

Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by nymphomaniac(m): 10:28pm On May 30, 2022
This argument remains simple

There is a rebuttable presumption of reliability in lower mileage cars compared to their high mileage brothers
Re: Mileage Of A Car At 242474 Good Or Bad by foolbuster: 11:14pm On May 30, 2022
otipoju:

What year make and model is the car.

At 242, 474 the car is closer to its grave . It is like a 70 years old man that will be lucky to get to 90 years old.

Lolz, this just show you don't know jack about cars.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Our Own Indigenous E-hailing App / Honda Steering Rack Adjustment / What's The Craziest Thing You've Ever Done Because You Love Your Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.