Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram (7756 Views)

Where Were Niger-Delta Senators & Reps When Lagos Calabar Rail Was Removed? / Saraki: CCB In Fresh Move Against Senators, Reps / Bayelsa Senators, Reps Back Patience Jonathan Against Dickson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Afanna1: 5:29am On Jul 16, 2011
[b]Senators, Reps back amnesty for Boko Haram

On July 16, 2011 · In News

By INALEGWU SHAIBU, Abuja
MEMBERS of the Na tional Assembly from Borno state yesterday asked President Goodluck Jonathan to grant the alleged terrorist group Boko Haram an unconditional amnesty to quell the menace of the sect in the state.

The unrest in the state also led to the rescue of over 50 students of Cross River origin who were stranded in the University of Maiduguri by Senate Leader, Victor Ndoma-Egba.

The legislators under the Borno State Caucus of the National Assembly, led by Senator Maina Maji Lawan also asked President Jonathan to withdraw the Joint Military Task Force, JTF from Maiduguri, the state capital and negotiate with the sect.

Senator Maji Lawan accompanied by Senators Mohammed Ndume, Ahmed Zana, and House of Representatives members Amuna Khadi, Muktar Aliyu and Kyari Gugbawu told journalists in Abuja that the presence of JTF has escalated violence in Maduguri.

The Caucus observed that the use of force by the JTF will not bring an end to the crisis, while lamenting that the JTF has sacked Maiduguri through senseless killings of innocent Nigerians and burning of houses and cars.

He said, “We the National Assembly members from Borno State, having met and reviewed the security situation vis-à-vis the increased deployment of troops and other security agencies, observe that the situation is deteriorating by the day causing untold hardship on the innocent citizens.

“The caucus is further worried by the mass exodus of people with its attendant and concomitant effect of rendering people refugees. We are also worried by the closure of academic institutions, banks and other business as well as relevant agencies.

“The caucus resolves as follows; urged the President and Commander-in-Chief to order for the withdrawal of the military from Maiduguri and its environs. The Federal Government should engage the Yusufiya group in dialogue in order to find a lasting solution to the crisis.”

On amnesty being the best option to tackle Boko Haram, he said, “Giving the situation and the intense pressure that our people are going through we have been compelled to make our position public and demand that the Nigeria state act in the best interest of innocent people and that institution of state should first and foremost protect the lives and property of innocent individuals and citizens.

“In a situation whereby pay organs of authority are the source of the greatest agony of the people, we have no choice but to come and make this statement on behalf of the good people that elected us.

“After painfully looking at the situation and our immediate history in this part of the country and other areas,  in the Niger Delta region a similar situation has arisen where Joint Task Forces under all source of vices were sent they ransacked Odi, they ransacked homes and villages in the name of searching for militants, but what did it comes out with, it only succeeded in aggravating the situation as it is now aggravating the situation, because the victims are now becoming victims of state hands down instead of victims of the suppose militants or terrorist group.

“And ultimately what happened in Niger Delta, it is not the brute force that brought out the solution, it is the unconditional amnesty granted by government where accordingly calling for similar approach.

“Dialogue should commence with unconditional amnesty so that when people are coming to the table they are not coming with swords and guns pointing in their necks and heads. We believe that engaging the Yusufia elements in an honest dialogue will yield a better result and will give us a more positive outcome, will bring us peace and stability to Maiduguri and subsequently to northern Nigeria and Nigeria.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/senators-reps-back-amnesty-for-boko-haram/[/b]
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Rhino5dm: 6:19am On Jul 16, 2011
Kill innocent people and the government reward you with amnesty? What type country is this? Ok. Jona, where are you sending BH to? I hope not US or Europe, . .

Boko Haram at US embassy waiting for entry VISA grin wonders shall never cease in naija.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by redsun(m): 9:18am On Jul 16, 2011
He will send dem to yemen or afghanistan.Animals,considering amnesty for pigs like demsellves
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by redsun(m): 9:21am On Jul 16, 2011
Nigeria should rather break up instead of acknowledging islamism as some form of political agitation
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Grassroot: 9:37am On Jul 16, 2011
Supporters of Boko Haram speaking up. I didn't expect less from them. Afterall they used Boko Haram to rig their elections. They are trying to protect themselves.
JTF should go ahead. Fish them out, prosecute them. Let justice be done. If they grant them amnesty, then it would become a pattern in Nigeria. It should suggest that Nigeria is weak. Nigeria must show how strong they are. Boko Haram "soldiers" are not as trained as our soldiers. Just declare war on them. No turning back.

BTW: the next thing you would hear is "MINISTRY OF BOKO HARAM". Nigeria is just a comedy
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Gbawe: 9:38am On Jul 16, 2011
Our naive leaders are funny characters. Always prepared to do anything , however damaging to the rest of us or to our nation , to gain the relative peace that allows them to carry on looting ,spending and living large. Well , amnesty will not be enough this time around. Jonathan vacating Aso Rock is now the new target laid down for Boko Haram by their sponsors. let the FG Grant Boko Haram amnesty. They wont be the first or the last to "chop" our 'settlement' President's dollar.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 16, 2011
Those senators are stùpid and imbecìlic, inshort, they should recalled and investigated. For them to put such mòronic suggestions and idea of negotiation, smacks of allegiance and sympathy towards these terrorists.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by jamace(m): 2:24pm On Jul 16, 2011
I hope the amnesty will be done without waste of Nigerian resources because Boko Haram is of no economic importance to Nigeria. The best the fed govt should do for them is to assemble all of them at the Abuja central mosque, absolve them of their haram and the Imam prays for them, and they disperse to their states. Nonsense. angry
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by EzeUche(m): 2:25pm On Jul 16, 2011
Thunder strike them all! angry
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by houvest: 9:06pm On Jul 16, 2011
Why do they want JTF out? Even with the Amnesty to MEND, JTF is still in the ND.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by jamace(m): 9:10pm On Jul 16, 2011
^^^Don't mind them. JTF has come to stay in that godforsaken land till further notice. Pikin wey say him mama no go sleep, him too no go blink him eyes.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Kobojunkie: 9:45pm On Jul 16, 2011
Now this is making sense. So the news( from some days ago) of the US urging the Jonathan Administration not to make deals with the terrorists may, afterall, be true. WOW . . . . so we have senators considering rewarding yet another group of terrorists, even with the failure of the old plan in curbing the menace called MEND?
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Musiwa42: 10:50pm On Jul 16, 2011
i think the nigeria most give boko haram a country. people should not be force to be nigerian. and we should allow boko haram to have their own country. amnesty does not solve the problem. the only solution is give boko haram their own country.

boko haram is not a small group. we are talking of millions of people. how do you give them amnesty. we have to respect them and give them their country as they ask.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Musiwa42: 11:00pm On Jul 16, 2011
look at boko haram country and ask,if they are not smart people to ask for their own country.

[img]http:///qdq9dh[/img]

Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Musiwa42: 11:07pm On Jul 16, 2011
why you people are shouting is because you have failed to build your own country. 

look at obasanjo city, who do you think is boko haram. is boko haram city looking like boko haram or Obasanjo city looking Boko Haram.

Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:15pm On Jul 16, 2011
This is a sign of weakness on the part of govt. any radical group that springs up is given amnesty. angry
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by misterh(m): 2:51am On Jul 17, 2011
I think the concept of amnesty is being abused here. The govt has not even shown enough commitment to fight this people. Oh! I get the logic_ another group springs up tomorrow, kills innocent people & they'll be given amnesty. The security agents have not done enough to annihilate this group. Are they stronger than the govt?
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by teemon: 3:06am On Jul 17, 2011
I have long said it that the whole boko haram thing is a scam from the shameless northern elite i will be total disappointed in GEJ if he dare grant them amnesty,the northern just want their own share of what the niger delta militant got that all they want,all those senators and reps wanting amnesty for boko are doing the biddings of their godfathers,should boko be give amnesty trust me more terror group will surface it will become a trend like the kidnapping and ransome paying game that was going on in the east some times back.But come to think of it since the military have been deployed to Borno state the bombing have reduced thats to tell you that the boko haram stuff is just like any other illegal business of some selected few,not a religious cause as the claim it to be.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by ushafe(m): 3:57am On Jul 17, 2011
i dont understand what their senators and reps are saying, they were given ammesty before now, but they gave unfixable conditions for accepting it, that northern part should declared a sharia state. Then, their senators were quiet , so why now , i believe is better they remine quiet
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by miky(m): 4:42am On Jul 17, 2011
I kinda figured, that some idiots in government are trying to push this amnesty crap forward. The government should just cancel all amnesty programs, and while at it devote 30% of oil revenue to the rebuilding of the niger delta.

@ musiwa, in truth all northern states are an apology. infact when quizzed about nigeria, no i know has dared mention anywhere in the north. Southern states are richer, more developed, with a higher literate population that its not funny.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by darne(m): 4:47am On Jul 17, 2011
@Comments,, When The Late Former President Umar Musa Yar`adua Helped Some bastards In Niger Delta Where were You Idiots What Did Anyone say ? I`m sure they were Killing Animals Not Humans,, Y`all Forgot How many Times CNN Keeps Discussing About Jomo Gbomo ?? Now All Thanks To Yar`adua same idiots have full amnesty after killing Innocent People while claiming to be fighting For the Niger Deltans Tell me Why they deserve Amnesty ? Now its The Boko Haram`s Turn You Are All Here Saying Rubbish, Let them Have The Amnesty, Its better than Doing Nothing Or sending those Bastard Zombies To Horrify Citizens Of Borno While pretending to be Doing Good Work, I Support The Senates Because They All Know what They are Doing, Working Something Out With The Islamist Groups Would Probably Be The Best Solution To This Attacks !!!!, Me Neva See Mend`s Main Reason To Killing Innocent Lives and its the same with Boko Haram But Their Leader Was Killed And No One Said Anything !!!!!  God Help Us
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by azyaq(m): 4:55am On Jul 17, 2011
@redsun pls dont bring islam into dis coz those guyz are not muslims they jst been blindfold by by there stupid desire, as for d cacause clamoring for amnesty they should leave abuja n go bak to there various constituency 2 talk to dis guyz aftall they are representin them @ d upper level i.e reps n senate repectivly.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Arysexy(m): 5:09am On Jul 17, 2011
DAMN F>UCK! if GEJ dare listen to dis crap, i swear, i will form a terrorist group and name it islam haram or abokoi haram or politician haram and our modus operandi will be more brutal than wot boko is doing, till they grant us amnesty too. silly cows!
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Dotman01(m): 6:22am On Jul 17, 2011
so when are dey planning to go shop in abroad. . . Dubai or qatar?. . .new ministry is coming right?. . .MINISTRY OF SHARIA LAWS. . . Hurray another two ministers are coming.so when are dey planning to go shop in abroad. . . Dubai or qatar?. . .new ministry is coming right?. . .MINISTRY OF SHARIA LAWS. . . Hurray another two ministers are coming.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Olaisrich(m): 6:41am On Jul 17, 2011
@Comments,, When The Late Former President Umar Musa Yar`adua Helped Some bastards In Niger Delta Where were You Idiots What Did Anyone say ? I`m sure they were Killing Animals Not Humans,, Y`all Forgot How many Times CNN Keeps Discussing About Jomo Gbomo ?? Now All Thanks To Yar`adua same idiots have full amnesty after killing Innocent People while claiming to be fighting For the Niger Deltans Tell me Why they deserve Amnesty ? Now its The Boko Haram`s Turn You Are All Here Saying Rubbish, Let them Have The Amnesty, Its better than Doing Nothing Or sending those Bastard Zombies To Horrify Citizens Of Borno While pretending to be Doing Good Work, I Support The Senates Because They All Know what They are Doing, Working Something Out With The Islamist Groups Would Probably Be The Best Solution To This Attacks !!!!, Me Neva See Mend`s Main Reason To Killing Innocent Lives and its the same with Boko Haram But Their Leader Was Killed And No One Said Anything !!!!!  God Help Us

And you really think that this your comment is an antidote for the menace? can you rally trust the BH even after being given the so called amnesty? does that[ammnesty] justifies their claim and the true meaning of BH? i can see we don't know what we are asking for ourselves!
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by samdigo(m): 6:48am On Jul 17, 2011
Why does Nigeria think amnesty is the solution to all their militancy problems. Y grant amnesty to people that commit sucked bombings, This people want either sharia or death, What da heck does amnesty hav to do wid dis,
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by darqly(m): 6:54am On Jul 17, 2011
It is downright disgraceful for the lawmakers to even make such a suggestion. No longer at ease with the monster they sponsored and created, they're now edgy. FGN enjoys playing politics with citizens lives, after all there are 150mm or so of us still available to kill off. They should ask Modu Sheriff, that slimeball, where he got Boko Haram from. The man is as guilty as Sin in this case. Those clamouring for amnesty, na wa. It seems a NEW term has been added to our otherwise sparse vocabulary. A bunch of ne'er do wells kill and terrorize a NATION, and the best we can offer as justice is a jaunt to any country of their choice, paid by the their victims? We really need to realign our thoughts and discard this defeatist and lazy attitude slowly permeating society. Soon, cultists will claim amnesty, those agberos in NURTW oyo will follow suit- Where is the role of justice in Nigeria? Abuja is under lockdown presently because of a ragtag bunch of riffraff, and our feeble President watches on, seeking a new single term of 7yrs. Nigeria is slowly drifting into a somalia-type state, just give us time.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by samdigo(m): 7:00am On Jul 17, 2011
@muiswa

No one is holding them, They can have their own country if they want, they just have to o to Cameroon, Niger, mali etc, Jus not any piece of land that has been "established" under the federal republic of Nigeria. Every president before being inaugurated takes an oath to protect the "sovereignty, integrity, solidarity, well-being and prosperity of the Federal Republic of Nigeria" as far as I'm concerned, if a president dosent crush any group or uprising that threatens  the established boarders and sovereignty of a nation, then he isn't doing his job
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Odunnu: 7:01am On Jul 17, 2011
this is beyond ridiculous! Amnesty for BH? What are they fighting for? GEJ is in trouble if he indeed has NASS members who think like this. ThankGod they are in the minority.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by kinguwem: 7:14am On Jul 17, 2011
These group of egocentric legislators and their illiterate militants are allies.
They have nothing to offer this country.
No amnesty for terrorist.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by kulutempa: 7:15am On Jul 17, 2011
Bloody greedy cowards.  What these guys really want is to be left in peace so that they can continue their decadent lifestyle fueled by corruption.   It is now obvious that the only way to get anything from our leaders is to threaten their cosy existence and intimidate them with violence.    Nobody wants to pay the ultimate price and die in Nigeria, and when they come across anyone who is prepared to do so, they immediately crumble and give him what he wants.  Now that we know what to do to make things change in Nigeria, what are we waiting for?
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Andrew3(m): 7:20am On Jul 17, 2011
some people dont know what amnesty is, if they are asking of an islamic state then what has amnesty got to do?
or to silence them?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Discover Westerners Neighbourhoods / Breaking! Protest Nairalander Ipobdevil Hit By Military Bullet At The Head -pics / See What Happened To Rochas Unused Flyover In Owerri.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.