Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,357 members, 7,815,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives (10597 Views)

Dasuki To Face Fresh Charges Over 1994 Millitary Charge / Fresh Crisis In Senate As APC Senators Vow To Stop Ekweremadu From Presiding / Maitasine Uprising Was Not Ended By Buhari! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by nduchucks: 11:40am On Jul 17, 2011
This Boko Haram crisis is overrated but rating could become very real given GEJ's fears, ineptitude, and outright cluelessness. The Maitasine religious group was far more organized and killed more people than Boko Haram will ever kill, yet they were promptly dealt witrh. The complete lack of decisive action against Boko Haram is making me think that GEJ is really working towards the destruction on this country. When is he and his agents going to protect Nigerians from these acts of violence?

Please  enjoy the excerp below:

The fear of bombs is the beginning of wisdom.

Instructively, the history of terroriism and religious fanatism in Nigeria, could be traced from Maitasine riots of the early eigthies. The religious sect was founded by late Malam Muhammadu Marwa alias Allah Ta-Tsine or Maitatsine.

With an ideology that was opposed to most aspects of modernization and to all Western influence. The group unleashed acts of terrorism against the state.

The sect also decried such technological commonplace as radios, wrist watches, automobiles, motorcycles, and even bicycles. Those who use these things or who read books other than the Qur'an were viewed as hell-bound.

The first Maitasine violence in Kano shocked many Nigerians to their marrow. In that crisis, 4,177 lives were lost. The Kano incident stands out for being the first religious crisis that took a huge toll on human lives and property.

Although there had been series of religious tensions and skirmishes across the country, one of which was the crisis witnessed in May 1980 in Zaria during which property belonging to mainly Christians were destroyed by some Muslims, few people could have imagined that differences in religion could lead to such wanton destruction of lives and property as witnessed in December 1980. But that was the scenario.

Members of the sect called the Maitatsine led by one Muhammadu Marwa, shot their way to notoriety when, seven months after the Zaria disturbances, they took to the streets proclaiming their brand of Islam to be superior to every other one, including Christianity, and in the process, initiated an SinParty of violence that claimed human lives and property.

Nonetheless, the December 1980 death of Maitasine in the hands of the military, marked the end of the sect.

However, three decades after this crisis, another group emerged from Northern Nigerian again. With almost a similar ideology, the group was founded in 2002 in Maiduguri by Ustaz Mohammed Yusuf.

In 2004 it moved to Kanamma, Yobe State, where it set up a base called "Afghanistan" used to attack nearby police outposts, killing police officers.

In Bauchi, the group was reported as refusing to mix with local people. The group includes members who come from neighbouring Chad and speak only in Arabic. Like its forebearer, Boko Haram did not leave any one in doubt, that it was poised to enlist Nigeria on the list of terrorist nations.

For instance, in July 2009, the Nigerian police started investigating the group following reports that the group was arming itself. Several leaders were arrested in Bauchi, sparking deadly clashes with Nigerian security forces which led to the deaths of an estimated 700 people

Con'd Below, dodging the bot.  cheesy
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by nduchucks: 11:43am On Jul 17, 2011

Major attacks
Prior to the clashes, many Muslim leaders and at least one military official had warned the authorities about Boko Haram. Those warnings were reportedly ignored. In Yobe state, fighters reportedly "used fuel-laden motorcycles" and "bows with poison arrows" to attack a police station.[ On 30 July, allegations were made that Yusuf himself was killed by Nigerian security forces after being taken into custody.

January 2010: Boko Haram struck in Borno State killing four people in Dala Alemderi ward in Maiduguri metropolis.

On September 7, 2010: Boko Haram freed over 700 inmates from a prison in Bauchi State.

December 2010: Boko Haram were blamed for a market bombing, following which 92 of its members were arrested by police.

January 28, 2011: The ANPP in Borno gubernatorial candidate was assassinated, along with his brother and four police officers.

March 29: The Police thwarted a plot to bomb an election rally in Maiduguri, Borno State. The threat was allegedly blamed on Boko Haram.

April 1: Suspected Boko Haram members attacked a police station in Bauchi (map). On April 9, a polling center in Maiduguri was bombed.

April 15: The Maiduguri office of the Independent National Electoral Commission was bombed, and several people were shot in a separate incident on the same day. Authorities suspected Boko Haram.

April 20: Boko Haram killed a Muslim cleric and ambushed several police officers in Maiduguri.

April 22: Boko Haram freed 14 prisoners during a jailbreak in Yola, Adamawa State.

February 8, 2011: Boko Haram gave conditions for peace. The radicals demanded that the Borno State Governor, Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, should step down from office with immediate effect and also allow members to reclaim their mosque in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State.

9th May 2011: Boko Haram rejected an offer for amnesty made by the governor-elect of Borno state, Kashim Shettima

Aside this, Nigeria also witnessed spate of bombings in the past. For instance the then Niger Delta militancy also had its share of terrorist acts. As the conflict escalated, it led to a very disturbing national (even sub regional) security concerns.

The regional water ways in the Gulf of Guinea became increasingly risky for any form of business. Niger Delta militants were reportedly enlisted in a failed attempt to overthrow President Teodoro Obiang Nguema led government of Equatorial Guinea on the 17th of February 2009.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201106170473.html
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by meforyou1(m): 2:38pm On Sep 07, 2014
Always in the bloody north
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by lakpalakpa: 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2014
Jonadaaft's poor handling of Boko haram is deliberate, he needs the sect alive in order to have a blackmail tool for his perceived enemies and opponents.

3 Likes

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by onyi4edu(f): 2:51pm On Sep 07, 2014
BH thrives because they have sympathisers and supporters in the military, government and even amongst the citizens of the country. More so their sponsors are very wealthy and powerful.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by egift(m): 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2014
Boko Haram is thriving because President believes it prolong stay will panel beat Nigerians to returning him in power. It is like someone vandalizing your car and you ignore him because the Insurance Company will pay you triple the worth of the car.

Gen. Buhari within months of coming to Power crushed Maitasine and till today, it does not exist anywhere on Earth. When Nigerians kick out jonathan next year, Boko Haram will be crushed and all the current government officials funding and feasting on Boko Haram will be made to face the law, beg for bread and anyone who help them will suffer the same fate.

The Blood of Innocent Nigerians this administration is sharing....there is God, continue!

3 Likes

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by SamIkenna: 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2014
The question should be: why is the Core-north a hotbed for extremism and terrorism? Find the answer and in it you'll find why GEJ will never defeat BH.

The core north relishes in extreme decimation of peoples and cultures they consider alien or, in BH's lexicon, 'haram.'

Put succinctly, what's currently unraveling in the core north is simply two 'harams' competing for supremacy. One 'haram' is implicit (Hausa-Fulani Islamic domination of Nigeria) while the other is explicit (Uthman dan Fodio and Boko Haram).

Hopefully someday Nigerians will get their heads out of the deep sand and accept that it's impossible to sleep with both eyes closed in any kind of nation that includes a chunk of it hellbent on extremism, jihadism, and sharia-sm.

1 Like

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by SamIkenna: 4:14pm On Sep 07, 2014
Its laughable when folks say: Buhari crushed maitasine. Well, newsflash: Maitasine crushed maitasine, plain and simple. GEJ is a minority christian in charge of an army that's fighting islamic terror organization, therefore it makes sense to replace GEJ with a muslem who knows how to fight his 'brothers.' However, the first problem with the line above is that its proponents always fail to realize not everyone prays to Allah, while the second is that once we give in to such blackmail, political, religious, or sentimental, we would have committed the entire Nigerian minorities as well as non-muslem citizens to political irrelevance.

Instead of endlessly hounding GEJ and his team, I believe its time to look core-northern muslems in the eye and ask them why they always love terror. Think about this: you're always helping a buddy who, on daily basis, is bitten by a rattle snake (the same rattle snake all the time) don't you think simple logic demands that you ask your buddy why he loves playing with a dangerous snake? I mean, if he can't live without a rattle snake why not, at the very least, try a different one.

Wahabism has been destroying the north long before most of us were born and its still destroying it today. I ask - when will the north get a different rattle snake? Blaming GEJ or defeating BH is but a temporary the solution, it sure doesn't solve the root cause of your terror-filled history.

When I was a kid my Dad always told me I was the architect of my fortune. I understood it then and I understand it now and to that end I say: Core-northern people, as much as I feel your pains, you brought this mess on yourselves. Nigeria is big, diverse, and incurably apathetic so there's little GEJ can do for you. You're simply on your own. And if you're in doubt go figure how many states are willing to draft their citizens or commit 5% of their monthly allocation to help you fight this war. Nigerians took a cut during Biafran war and that's because Biafra held huge oil fields. You have relatively nothing and you hold not so much and as such highly expendable.

3 Likes

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by egift(m): 4:24pm On Sep 07, 2014
[s]
SamIkenna: Its laughable when folks say: Buhari crushed maitasine. Well, newsflash: Maitasine crushed maitasine, plain and simple. GEJ is a minority christian in charge of an army that's fighting islamic terror organization, therefore it makes sense to replace GEJ with a muslem who knows how to fight his 'brothers.' However, the first problem with the line above is that its proponents always fail to realize not everyone prays to Allah, while the second is that once we give in to such blackmail, political, religious, or sentimental, we would have committed the entire Nigerian minorities as well as non-muslem citizens to political irrelevance.

Instead of endlessly hounding GEJ and his team, I believe its time to look core-northern muslems in the eye and ask them why they always love terror. Think about this: you're always helping a buddy who, on daily basis, is bitten by a rattle snake (the same rattle snake all the time) don't you think simple logic demands that you ask your buddy why he loves playing with a dangerous snake? I mean, if he can't live without a rattle snake why not, at the very least, try a different one.

Wahabism has been destroying the north long before most of us were born and its still destroying it today. I ask - when will the north get a different rattle snake? Blaming GEJ or defeating BH is but a temporary the solution, it sure doesn't solve the root cause of your terror-filled history.

When I was a kid my Dad always told me I was the architect of my fortune. I understood it then and I understand it now and to that end I say: Core-northern people, as much as I feel your pains, you brought this mess on yourselves. Nigeria is big, diverse, and incurably apathetic so there's little GEJ do for you. You're simply on your own. And if you're in doubt go figure how many states are willing to draft their citizens or commit 5% of their monthly allocation to help you fight this war. Nigerians took a cut during Biafran war and that's because Biafra held huge oil fields. You have relatively nothing and you hold not so much and as such highly expendable.
[/s]

Nonsense rants grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by SamIkenna: 4:58pm On Sep 07, 2014
egift: [s][/s]

Nonsense rants grin

There's always a bus from any location in Nigeria to Bama, Gwoza, Sambisa, and Maiduguri. Join the military and fight this war or, better still, join civilian JTF. There's a work for all you who say let's get them only in NL.

1 Like

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by jking001(m): 5:12pm On Sep 07, 2014
This would not have happened only if Buharidaft extremist swine plus Tunde Bakare accepted defeat and congratulate and respect the office of president of the federal republic of nigeria and tell their supporters to do the same,but they did not do this they rather threaten the peace of nigeria with Tunde Bakare promising all hell would be let loose in the north of they lost the election plus Buharidaft extremist swine crying so his supporters can go on rampage killing people when they know they lost the election,am no fool i think therefore i am reasonable enough to decipher evil from good.

lakpalakpa: Jonadaaft's poor handling of Boko haram is deliberate, he needs the sect alive in order to have a blackmail tool for his perceived enemies and opponents.
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by egift(m): 5:22pm On Sep 07, 2014
SamIkenna: There's always a bus from any location in Nigeria to Bama, Gwoza, Sambisa, and Maiduguri. Join the military and fight this war or, better still, join civilian JTF. There's a work for all you who say let's go them only in NL.

Who will be my Commander in Chief? The one below? God forbid, am not suicidal. America-Will-Know grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by zurine(f): 5:48pm On Sep 07, 2014
hmm
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by iamodenigbo1(m): 5:49pm On Sep 07, 2014
north and Islam all the time,nwata kedu ihe gburu nne gi Anyu,kedu ihe gburu nna gi Anyu,gini ka iji na-aka Anyu
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by BrokenTV: 6:00pm On Sep 07, 2014
[quote author=egift][/quote]
He is your Commander in Chief right now or are you no longer a Nigeria, it doesn't match just go to Borno and show us the stuff you are made off and stop being the coward that spent all his days on Nairaland spewing trash.
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by egift(m): 6:21pm On Sep 07, 2014
BrokenTV:
He is your Commander in Chief right now or are you no longer a Nigeria, it doesn't match just go to Borno and show us the stuff you are made off and stop being the coward that spent all his days on Nairaland spewing trash.

@Bold: Keep hiding behind your Broken Television. All of us on Nairaland, we are seeing you. grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by BrokenTV: 6:31pm On Sep 07, 2014
egift:

@Bold: Keep hiding behind your Broken Television grin grin grin grin
Shameless coward, keep acting like the E-goat that you are always, I understand the plight you are passing through, why not go to Sambisa and show your skills you thought is about hiding behind computer and keep talking trash, is time for you to serve your fatherland. And stop being dumb.

3 Likes

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by nduchucks: 6:40pm On Sep 07, 2014
Who dug this up? That was almost 4years ago!!

Istead of dealing with BH, our Commander-In-Chief and his agents have allowed the group to become the most powerful insurgent group in West Africa and beyound.

Now let's see:

(1) Asari was arrested in Benin Republic for alleged links to BH; the President intervened on his behalf and flew him back to Abuja in a Presidential plane, we are told.

(2)Ihejirika is accused of being a BH sponsor, one of the the President's agency absolved him completely in a Kangaroo investigation

(3)One Wakil, who is of Igbo parentage presented herself as a mother figure of Boko Haram adherents.

on and on and on.

There may be a pattern here. SMH
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by Brahms(m): 6:57pm On Sep 07, 2014
Sai Buhari!!
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by SamIkenna: 7:13pm On Sep 07, 2014
nduchucks: Who dug this up? That was almost 4years ago!!

Istead of dealing with BH, our Commander-In-Chief and his agents have allowed the group to become the most powerful insurgent group in West Africa and beyound.

Now let's see:

(1) Asari was arrested in Benin Republic for alleged links to BH; the President intervened on his behalf and flew him back to Abuja in a Presidential plane, we are told.

(2)Ihejirika is accused of being a BH sponsor, one of the the President's agency absolved him completely in a Kangaroo investigation

(3)One Wakil, who is of Igbo parentage presented herself as a mother figure of Boko Haram adherents.

on and on and on.

There may be a pattern here. SMH

The pattern shows a confused region on a mental siege blaming everyone for her woes. Blaming everyone except, of course, herself.

1 Like

Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by nduchucks: 7:16pm On Sep 07, 2014
SamIkenna:

The pattern shows a confused region on a mental siege blaming everyone for her woes. Blaming everyone except, of course, herself.

I can bet my last million naira that you are an intellectual of the Igbo extraction. ko kwa?
Re: Maitasine Crisis In Kano, 4100 Dead-Millitary Crushed Group. But B'haram Thrives by SamIkenna: 7:42pm On Sep 07, 2014
nduchucks:

I can bet my last million naira that you are an intellectual of the Igbo extraction. ko kwa?

Leave us out of your mess. You made it so go clean it.

But I can help if you ask with some respect and humility, and even at that I shall help you from a thousand miles. Not getting close to your people's unending culture of terror.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Understanding Nigeria’s High Poverty Rate: The Upper, Middle And Lower Class / Okorocha And Akeredolu Commission Adekunle Ajasin University Radio, Ivy 90.3 FM / North-east Groups Write Oshiomhole, Endorse Goje As Senate President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.