Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,690 members, 7,831,138 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

A Brother Needs Your Advice. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Brother Needs Your Advice. (22580 Views)

This 35 Year-old Lady Needs Your Advice As She Plans To Get Married / Inexperienced Newly Married Man Needs Your Advice / Please My Younger Brother Needs Your Help... His Life And Health Is At Stake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Danat: 8:26pm On May 30, 2022
Brother you need to leave, to plan your own life. However, you should consider leaving some of the house things for her especially kitchen stuff, so it doesn't look like 'you don get money run'.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by frozen70(f): 8:28pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:
Dear Nairalanders, what do you think of this?
I got a new job 7th of February and the pay although not a normalised pay is very okay. The least I have received every month since I joined has been #126,000. There were months I was paid #170K ( happened twice) because it's commission based.

So far, I have been able to save #315,000 but I have a little problem.

I am a 29-year old guy who presently stays with my elder sister who also works in this company. She's a single mother of two. The apartment is a one bedroom-parlor apartment. She stays in the room while I occupy the parlor with my few properties (Mattress, Wardrobe, Plasma TV and home theatre) none of which she has because she had to abandon her husband late last year as she was being frustrated by him. She didn't pick anything while leaving, so she literally has just started buying a few things in the house. Apart from the parlor, 70% of the things in the kitchen and bathroom belong to me.

What actually happened about this was that; when she newly got this job (August, last year), she desperately needed a space as her ex husband was seriously frustrating her. She just left the husband's house with absolutely nothing like I already stated. Then as an unemployed graduate, I couldn't renew my rent which expired (November, last year). Because of this I decided to move them to her place and also shelter with her. Now my question is that, I am 29 years old, should I get a personal space with my current savings as my monthly pay seems enough or should I keep staying with her while I keep saving?
Mind you, I contribute to everything in this house, from food to water to NEPA bills and everything. Times we share the bills, other times I pay alone or she pays alone but it's all seem balanced in a way. No complaints so far.

Mind you I do not care what neighbors think as well even as they seem utterly unpleased with a man this grown staying with his sister. I do not care and also, I do not have a girlfriend so it's not about privacy or whatever.
But you know as a grown man with a lot yet to be achieved, I just seem confused.

What would you advise a brother?

If you are still with her, is like you are still with your parents as her presence protects you to an extent and you too protects her as a man

It will be nice you discuss this with her that by the time you will be 30yrs, you will like to get your own apartment

Now, if you can save upto 500k while staying with her, that will be fine so that you can get a self contained apartment and start your new life there

But be ready and willing to be ready to receive the opposite sex as once you say hi to any one they will want to know your house and do the ladies stuff there and that's how you will start living a single and married life

So are you ready for that now

Then secondly, will your sister be able to run the home alone both rent, feeding and utility bills in your absence and without help from you

I am still wondering what properties you will leave for her while you take the important ones

1 Like

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Kpengla(m): 8:29pm On May 30, 2022
Olonitola:
I got a new job 7th of February and the pay although not a normalised pay is very okay. The least I have received every month since I joined has been #126,000. There were months I was paid #170K ( happened twice) because it's commission based.

I am a 29-year old guy who presently stays with my elder sister who also works in this company. She's a single mother of two. The apartment is a one bedroom-parlor apartment. She stays in the room while I occupy the parlor with my few properties (Mattress, Wardrobe, Plasma TV and home theatre) none of which she has because she had to abandon her husband late last year as she was being frustrated by him. She didn't pick anything while leaving, so she literally has just started buying a few things in the house. Apart from the parlor, 70% of the things in the kitchen and bathroom belong to me.

What actually happened about this was that; when she newly got this job (August, last year), she desperately needed a space as her ex husband was seriously frustrating her. She just left the husband's house with absolutely nothing like I already stated. Then as an unemployed graduate, I couldn't renew my rent which expired (November, last year). Because of this I decided to move them to her place and also shelter with her. Now my question is that, I am 29 years old, should I get a personal space with my current savings as my monthly pay seems enough or should I keep staying with her while I keep saving?
Mind you, I contribute to everything in this house, from food to water to NEPA bills and everything. Times we share the bills, other times I pay alone or she pays alone but it's all seem balanced in a way. No complaints so far.

Mind you I do not care what neighbors think as well even as they seem utterly unpleased with a man this grown staying with his sister. I do not care and also, I do not have a girlfriend so it's not about privacy or whatever.
But you know as a grown man with a lot yet to be achieved, I just seem confused.

Stay with her and save

I see no friction or personality conflict here..stay and save bro
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by IamMobisola(f): 8:37pm On May 30, 2022
From the responses here it's safe to say everyone is only more about themselves and don't care about others.
A 29 year old grown man is staying with his elder sister who has 2 kids in a one bedroom apartment and everyone keeps saying he should remain there and save money to build his own house, or buy a land which would take atleast a year. She is your sister, yes and it's possible she would be would be uncomfortable with the situation but because it's her younger brother she would decide to put up with it. But have you thought about the fact that she would need Privacy? Forget about the fact that you are contributing to the bills now, have you actually sat your sister down to talk to her about your plans and how she truly feels about it?

Asides that, you are 29 years old a grown up for that matter. You need to start your own life and stand on your own, you already earn enough to do that. You can help your sister with something as a way of gratitude even though she's your sister.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Bbbw: 8:44pm On May 30, 2022
Yea
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by osazsky(m): 9:21pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:
My dear brother, I have made money, plenty money, and it was even at a younger age. What did I do at the most then; Clothes, shoes, car, fine flat, gold, hair, vacation, friends and family members problem.

If not for my husband that rescued me from family members, it would have continued on and on without me building myself.

I was doing business and getting paid sometimes in dollars when dollar was still N125, if I knew what I know now, I would have been a better investor.

His sister doesn't mind, and he doesn't mind what people are saying, so why are you regurgitating?
i dont understand u..some of u think to build a house is 1m naira..oga this present nigeria if u have 1m savings remove mind for house matter..op never fit stay on his own without depending on his sis and family members and friends and u are talking of house..life is in stages oga...he has to start from somewhere..any small thing u see them runing to nl for advise..someone that cant think on his own y wont dey run to nl..na only nigeria person way dey 34 go still dey him papa house a whole complete human beign..i keep telling people house is not an i investment its for inheritance..most times people dat spend all thier life in building a house dont get the money back till death and thier children sells them off..and who told u those of us paying tent are not building..ur personal financial wastage is none of my biz..all i know is that at 29 or 30 u are not suppose to be living with ur parents or relative..anyone who stil keaves with relatives at 30 should check himself as a guy cuz he nor normal oga....instead of u to tell him to try and have multiple stream of income..look for a workinh class lady and start his life u are talkinh of common house..if he starts building now at 46 he go still dey him sister house and the house go still dey window lvl..make una marry o..two heads are better than one..only for the wise
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Gandollaar(f): 9:25pm On May 30, 2022
osazsky:
i dont understand u..some of u think to build a house is 1m naira..oga this present nigeria if u have 1m savings remove mind for house matter..op never fit stay on his own without depending on his sis and family members and friends and u are talking of house..life is in stages oga...he has to start from somewhere..any small thing u see them runing to nl for advise..someone that cant think on his own y wont dey run to nl..na only nigeria person way dey 34 go still dey him papa house a whole complete human beign..i keep telling people house is not an i investment its for inheritance..most times people dat spend all thier live in building a house dont get the money back till death and thier children sells them off..and who told u those of us paying tent are not building..ur personal financial wastage is none of my biz..all i know is that at 29 or 30 u are not suppose to be living with ur parents or relative..anyone who stil keaves with relatives at 30 should check himself as a guy cuz he nor normal oga..
What's one million naira?

Hiss!

The guy is making money. He should lie low and achieve something for himself instead of pursuing big boy status!

I didn't read beyond the first line. Try paragraphing next time if you want to be read.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by osazsky(m): 9:28pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:

Hiss!

The guy is making money. He should lie low and achieve something for himself instead of pursuing big boy status!

I didn't read beyond the first line. Try paragraphing next time if you want to be read.
what is house oga..if he is making money he is not suppose to be squatting with his sis..person tell u say him nor fit pay house rent..he pack all him property go him sis house and the nxt thing na make him go build house..if op has 1m i dont think he will be asking this question he be like say na europe u dey type..that useless peoject will swallow him

2 Likes

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by osazsky(m): 9:29pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:

Hiss!

person they squat u say make him lay low..very funny he is already low na
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by osazsky(m): 9:31pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:

Hiss!

and who told u that a house is an investment..rubbish..money way i dey pay for one year rent i dey get am in 5 days and who told u those of us paying rent are not doing project..how is 300k close to 15m and who told u you will get ur 15m back in rent before u die..oga rest there are better places to put ur money and an uncompleted building is not one of them
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Jaqenhghar: 10:08pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:
Op, I will advise you to stay back and and arrange how you and your sister will share the rent.
Keep saving and buy a land. Continue saving and be building it little by little. Finish building and either park in or rent it, but you would have succeeded in another good stream of income. Now you can go rent your own place if you want.

There's no point moving to get your own place where your bills will be more. Once you have your own place, the ladies must start coming and you could become distracted from your goals.
198 people like this horseshit
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Rodriguez08: 10:11pm On May 30, 2022
Calibrator:
Some people don't know life.... A 29 year old man staying with his sister will never progress in life as much as he wants because experience builds a man and he will likely not get such experiences living under his sister (forget about the 300k saved up).

Later you will wonder why some married men can't keep their family affairs in order, how can they gain the experience to do so when they have been sheltered all their lives.

Go and find a personal apartment of your own and you will be grateful for taking the decision. You will develop faster mentally and financially on your own.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Gandollaar(f): 10:11pm On May 30, 2022
Jaqenhghar:
198 people like this horseshit
WOW! That's interesting!

You know what

Eat shit! A million flies can't be wrong!

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Cashio(m): 10:12pm On May 30, 2022
tonididdy:
29yrs no GF ??shocked

Anyway like I always say, the reason you can save that much is because you have no responsibilities.

My advice: stay in your sis apt for 6 months then get a small apartment that costs less and start your life.
Now is the best time to have kids, do marriage as the money is coming in.

Warning: from my understanding, your job is a jackee job ( I mean kee-body job) if you continue @35 your sperm count maybe too low already frm working so strenuously at old age.

I repeat start your life now the ovation is high!
people be talking about a man making a good life and you are concerned about his sperm count at 35.
So instead of saving to establish himself first, your priority is him saving to enter marriage and continue suffering and waiting for divine grace to uplift him?
Crazy.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Rodriguez08: 10:27pm On May 30, 2022
Hey bro , be wise bro, don't fix what is not broken , use this opportunity wisely, am sure if you have gotten this job before your rent expired last you won't have saved this much , use this opportunity make a bigger plan your future. You just 29 bro, you shouldn't be a rush beside you staying with your blood not a stranger
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by osazsky(m): 10:29pm On May 30, 2022
Cashio:
people be talking about a man making a good life and you are concerned about his sperm count at 35.
So instead of saving to establish himself first, your priority is him saving to enter marriage and continue suffering and waiting for divine grace to uplift him?
Crazy.
i dont know how u guys reason matraige..i nor know sha..thank God for my wife if i didnt marry her i for be nothing today..make una dey try date person way get something upstairs...women are better in biz than men
Thank u jesus..when u have the mentality that the whole bills should be on u..u cant marry...if she is umemployed give her a platform provided nor be nl girls
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by osazsky(m): 10:33pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:
WOW! That's interesting!

You know what

oga carry your house go that side if u misuse money nor be our biz..a 29 year old still squating shouldnt be thinking of a house he has to plan for his life
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Emdebby2: 11:22pm On May 30, 2022
I will render my advice out of experience. If you pay rent alone in Lagos as just a salary earner then you are working for the landlord. You have a sister who has not disturbed you or complained about one thing or the other against you and you want to lose an opportunity of investing into your future just because you stumbled upon huge salary and privacy. You are 29 without a girlfriend, that's commendable because you will save more. Please stay with your sister for now and use the opportunity to save your money until she ask you to give her space (which am not sure she will think of anytime soon).
As a single lady I pay my rent alone and I know how hard it is. I wish I have a family like yours. Please do not misuse this opportunity in the name of privacy or what the neighbors will say. By the time you will reach mid-thirties then you can start talking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by enonche85(m): 11:33pm On May 30, 2022
I'm in a similar situation as well. If space becomes an issue you both can go rent a 2 bedroom flat where u can still share the bills and U will have a bit of privacy, but take your time and save more.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by SPAMBOX7: 11:37pm On May 30, 2022
Gandollaar:
Op, I will advise you to stay back and and arrange how you and your sister will share the rent.
Keep saving and buy a land. Continue saving and be building it little by little. Finish building and either park in or rent it, but you would have succeeded in another good stream of income. Now you can go rent your own place if you want.

There's no point moving to get your own place where your bills will be more. Once you have your own place, the ladies must start coming and you could become distracted from your goals.
How many years he wan dey save buy plot still build house. Let's say the least could be 3 years based on his salary. So you mean he should be living with his sis for 3 years Lmao

1 Like

Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by fkj950ax(m): 3:08am On May 31, 2022
Olonitola:
I got

Both of you should get a 2bedroom and move.
Split the bills 50/50
You save on rent. You get your space. Same as her.
Since you don’t have a girlfriend, you should not be bothered about your sister.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Dwin046(m): 4:29am On May 31, 2022
ojun50:
Don't rush out, gather more money and get more properties befor getting your apartment.

And look for a good lady to start building relationship with
it is more expensive to build a relationship this time around, I think he should stay put with his sister and invest more in properties, relationships no dey run, he can do that later, no time is late
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Jaqenhghar: 5:22am On May 31, 2022
Gandollaar:
WOW! That's interesting!

You know what

Further provi lng my point. Have a nice day
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by haggai247: 6:43am On May 31, 2022
Olonitola:

You and your sister have no problem
I don't care about what people say oooh stop mister you actually did if not you should not be seeking advice.

Save invest money in the bank no be asset ooo when them advice you go high brow area go rent house that time gf go come you to quickly realize 300k no be money ooo

Do wetin dey your heart.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by paduzman: 7:28am On May 31, 2022
Bros just stay where you dey for now o.
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Shuntymor1: 7:52am On May 31, 2022
In summary, relax, stay with ur sister alittle long and as a man try talk to her to build herself financially too since she's your sister so she doesn't find it hard when you eventually say u re leaving.
Stay back and save more. Find a good lady with wrk too and common interest and build together cos you re not getting younger too. Before u commit urself to this lady, be very sure she's interested in you and not ur savings because I know she wil eventually know
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by ojun50(m): 9:49am On May 31, 2022
Dwin046:
it is more expensive to build a relationship this time around, I think he should stay put with his sister and invest more in properties, relationships no dey run, he can do that later, no time is late

Relationship is expensive because most guys don't go in natural. You always want to do thins above you and thins you can not susutatin
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Elporo(m): 9:57am On May 31, 2022
Gandollaar:

My first million ! grin
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Ayo2323: 10:03am On May 31, 2022
Bros you still have to safe up oooo how much be 315k wey you won go settle or is she disturbing you in the house
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by Aaaaarghmed(m): 10:18am On May 31, 2022
Forget about what people say,save small join.like extra 6months or 1year then you can rent somewhere else to start your life
Re: A Brother Needs Your Advice. by johnyace(m): 11:14am On May 31, 2022
SommyGudman:
Marry your sister ASAP
haha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why marriages are failing and solutions / I Find It Difficult To Sleep Alone In A Room Or In A House / Woman Divorced For Receiving Blood Donation From Shitte Member (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.