Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,579 members, 7,958,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 12:36 AM

Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation (26923 Views)

The Pseudo-science Of Selective Outrage / Red Roses (the Sparks Of The 21st Century) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by mariovito(m): 11:44am On May 31, 2022
Antoeni:
Life na Turn By Turn
PDB Delegate Snatches Yahoo Boy’s Girlfriend..

Make yahoo boy go collet delegate daughter na.

Even set, how much delegate collect wey we nor go hear word? Dem collect reach 100k yankee? Wetin boys dey collect on a regular.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by ogododo: 11:44am On May 31, 2022
bigdammyj:
Reading...

Lagos Gov. Babajide Sanwolu, addressing "End SARS" Protesters and someone from the crowd shouted; "SORO SOKE WERE"

Your head get oil.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by mattfeuter(m): 11:45am On May 31, 2022
BabaAgba79:

Do we know how to read between the lines at all? The author did not say she invented the phrase. Of course, the phrase Sorosoke is a Yoruba phrase. The author only says that she named this new Nigerian Generation, "Sorosoke Gneration"! Who has ever named this generation so?

Someone with common sense. . . .
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Nobody: 11:46am On May 31, 2022
This is how those foolish white people behave...they try to take credit for what they didnt create..that's was how they lied that mungo park discovered river Niger..later now they will say she is the one that started #endsars# protest..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Okobola146: 11:50am On May 31, 2022
What an insult!

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by whitebeard(m): 11:51am On May 31, 2022
see how tinubu bigots would avoid this thread
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by MrAAA2: 12:03pm On May 31, 2022
I think we are changing or misunderstanding the narrative.
She said she named them the Soro soke GENERATION, that doesn't mean that they she coined the words Soro soke, she only referred them as a 'generation'.
Just like if I write a book tomorrow and made reference to the 2019 elections, then referred to PDP supporters then as an "Atikulated generation". Would that mean I coined Atikulated?
In the same vein, Mongo Park never wrote he discovered the River Niger. His task was to map the course (flow direction) of the River Niger, which he couldn't finish.
Blame your poor teachers, the current affairs books you read, all made in Nigeria by Nigerians.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Foreigna2: 12:05pm On May 31, 2022
femiasaolu2014:
This is the email I sent to the publisher of the book:

Soro Soke: Cultural misappropriation and false claims by Trish Lorenz
I will like to add my voice to the voices of other 60m Nigeria youths who organically coined and adopted the phrase "Soro Soke" as a moniker for the struggle against police brutality and corruption in October 2020 which your client Trish Lorenz now claims to have coined.

A cursory glance through her social media handles yields nothing to that effect. There were no mentions of the phrase before, during, and after that period when the entire world was focused on the country. #EndSars

Therefore, it is criminal, false, and denigrating of the memory of hundreds of Nigerians who died for the cause for Ms. Lorenz to make a false claim that she named people who participated in the acts of civil disobedience "The Soro Soke Generation".

It's baffling that a foreigner who can't speak a language now claims to have invented an already existing phrase in the same language.

A case of "Mongo Park" discovering the River Niger all over again?

I, therefore, demand that the book be pulled and that false claims be redacted from it.

Also, an apology should be posted on your handles and Ms. Lorenz apologizes for the false claim.

Failure to do this will lead millions of Nigerians to leave negative reviews on Amazon and other book stores, write negative think pieces and reviews online, and do everything possible to ensure that the book doesn't sell.

Resistance is futile, it will only cost you millions in revenue.

Kindly accept the assurances of my warmest regards.

And here is their response:

RE: Soro Soke: Cultural misappropriation and false claims by Trish Lorenz

Dear [Redacted]

Thank you for your email regarding Trish Lorenz’s new book “Soro Soke”.

There was no intention by Trish Lorenz or anyone involved with the book to appropriate the Yoruba expression ‘soro soke’ or the phrase ‘soro soke generation’, and no such claim is made in the book. Rather it was an unintentional turn of phrase in a single interview, the text of which has now been corrected. Soro Soke was chosen as the title due to its use as a rallying cry and call for change among young protestors in Nigeria – something which is made clear in the book.

The Nine Dots Prize, Cambridge University Press and CRASSH

This is now educated people do things. Kudos to you.

3 Likes

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by geesilver(m): 12:05pm On May 31, 2022
Antoeni:
This Man Once Said
Make God no allow make them kill you......

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by headbasher96(m): 12:06pm On May 31, 2022
Somebody should show her my phone case or she is the one who invented it too

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by MrAAA2: 12:09pm On May 31, 2022
Favorolasupo:
This is how those foolish white people behave...they try to take credit for what they didnt create..that's was how they lied that mungo park discovered river Niger..later now they will say she is the one that started #endsars# protest..

Learn to read, research and comprehend.
She is not taking any credit on the movement rather for her hard work in writing it. Something your fellas did not see any reason to do apart from tweets and posts.
Mungo Park never said he discovered River Niger, he only discovered the flow path (tracing where it began to were it merges in Lokoja, and its major tributaries and how it empties into the Atlantic ocean) for the River mapping project for the West and he couldn't finish the project due to illness and death.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Bignuell(m): 12:12pm On May 31, 2022
Seredebe:

It was Otoge that sent Saraki parking, not soro soke
You know your news brother
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Nobody: 12:14pm On May 31, 2022
Thanks..mr historian..keep it up.
MrAAA2:

Learn to read, research and comprehend.
She is not taking any credit on the movement rather for her hard work in writing it. Something your fellas did not see any reason to do apart from tweets and posts.
Mungo Park never said he discovered River Niger, he only discovered the flow path (tracing where it began to were it merges in Lokoja, and its major tributaries and how it empties into the Atlantic ocean) for the River mapping project for the West and he couldn't finish the project due to illness and death.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by sonofElElyon: 12:15pm On May 31, 2022
She is right in that she named the protesters as a whole the "soro soke generation "
She didn't claim to have originated the protest slogan "soro soke" but she was ingenious to have applied it the way she did
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by NaijaCars4sale: 12:16pm On May 31, 2022
I can't really see much of a problem with this
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by MrBachelor: 12:21pm On May 31, 2022
I can't fault her. Which Nigerian author or publisher deemed it necessary to write about the event?

She's writing our history for us, and she can as well write it however It pleases her.

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Liodins: 12:27pm On May 31, 2022
Muhylonaire007:
if she say na she name am soro soke, ehn na she na

grin grin grin
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by kokomilala(m): 12:32pm On May 31, 2022
@bigdammyj, exactly. It was this incident that informed that expression. I think it's irresponsible reportage on her part. A lame attempt to take credit for what she didn't earn. Sad!!!

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by harmony75: 12:32pm On May 31, 2022
So know it now Nigerian youths you have been named Soro soke youth!
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by GGirll: 12:34pm On May 31, 2022
Jibsonified:

I don think that was Soro Soke, it was “Otoge” in 2019

Yes you are right
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by GGirll: 12:35pm On May 31, 2022
kokomilala:
@bigdammyj, exactly. It was this incident that informed that expression. I think it's irresponsible reportage on her part. A lame attempt to take credit for what she didn't earn. Sad!!!

She should be sued by the Nigerian youths, soon she will claim she was d one that named them lazy youths too grin
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Freelancer2020(m): 12:35pm On May 31, 2022
Antoeni:
This Man Once Said

You think say you dey wise.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Subzero30: 12:37pm On May 31, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Winneygirl(f): 12:37pm On May 31, 2022
We need to learn to write our history ourselves.
And encourage our authors.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by GGirll: 12:37pm On May 31, 2022
Seredebe:

It was Otoge that sent Saraki parking, not soro soke

Ok, you are right, then I heard that soro soke during end SARS, can she claim what she doesn't even understand....I know she must have been told the meaning but this is so despicable of the so called intelligent white skinned.

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by amuwo1980: 12:38pm On May 31, 2022
Am not buying nor care to read this
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Coded081(m): 12:39pm On May 31, 2022
Antoeni:
This Man Once Said

You're a mumu man
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by kokomilala(m): 12:48pm On May 31, 2022
Irresponsible Reportage- A Lame Attenuation Of White Supremacy

Somebody asked why she did it. Well, it's a lame attenuation of white supremacy and back-door plagiarism. That was how these white people claimed that blacks were slaves originally. Joyce Carey's Mister Johnson and Joseph Conrad's The Heart of Darkness encapsulated and helped to perpetuate this false notion. But Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart and Alex Haley's Roots began to dispel these assertions.

Nigerians should flood twitterphere with reactions that will drive her to recant that false claim.

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by snoopz: 12:59pm On May 31, 2022
Na one guy during end SARS in Lagos propounded that soro soke were when sanwo eko was talking
Osun governor, Oyetola swf collect

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chimamanda Ngozi-adichie Celebrates Her 38th Birthday Today / Chimamanda Adichie At The Paris Fashion Week 2016 (Photos) / Make Me Your Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.