Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation (26679 Views)

The Pseudo-science Of Selective Outrage / Red Roses (the Sparks Of The 21st Century) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by kokomilala(m): 1:01pm On May 31, 2022
@DoggoneDogg, boyo, this time around Africans aren't stupid. I've often called Africans stupid regarding many matters. But this time around, they're very clear-thinking. It was a lame attenuation of white supremacy. She wanted to take glory for what she didn't earn. Even, the publishers said they made a correction in the book. It's a veiled case of plagiarism.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by louis1995: 1:06pm On May 31, 2022
lalasticlala:

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/endsars-uk-author-under-fire-over-claim-she-named-protesters-soro-soke/

https://twitter.com/mstrishlorenz/status/1529788479521050626?t=fRyqs9pmVJ_sd1Q5RN-99g&s=19

"In particular, growing urbanisation and access to new technology are defining this generation. Enabled by the megacities in which they live and by access to technological advances - which together offer opportunities that were out of reach or simply did not exist for previous cohorts - a creative, entrepreneurial and self-assured generation is emerging; global in outlook but rooted in and proud of their Nigerian and African identity. This cohort exhibits a confident outspokenness and a tendency for creative disruption, leading me to name them the Soro Soke generation (Soro Soke means 'speak out' in the Yoruba language)."

If you don’t tell your story, someone will do it for you. Take note
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by ThePlugg(m): 1:08pm On May 31, 2022
sogodihno:
"Soro soke"

Yoruba lagba

This is our incoming president in 2023

Haters should go to hell with their useless 5% votes
What's up with his eyes?
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by codemaniacs: 1:09pm On May 31, 2022
BabaAgba79:

Do we know how to read between the lines at all? The author did not say she invented the phrase. Of course, the phrase Sorosoke is a Yoruba phrase. The author only says that she named this new Nigerian Generation, "Sorosoke Gneration"! Who has ever named this generation so?

MrAAA2:
I think we are changing or misunderstanding the narrative.
She said she named them the Soro soke GENERATION, that doesn't mean that they she coined the words Soro soke, she only referred them as a 'generation'.
Just like if I write a book tomorrow and made reference to the 2019 elections, then referred to PDP supporters then as an "Atikulated generation". Would that mean I coined Atikulated?
In the same vein, Mongo Park never wrote he discovered the River Niger. His task was to map the course (flow direction) of the River Niger, which he couldn't finish.
Blame your poor teachers, the current affairs books you read, all made in Nigeria by Nigerians.

MrAAA2:

Learn to read, research and comprehend.
She is not taking any credit on the movement rather for her hard work in writing it. Something your fellas did not see any reason to do apart from tweets and posts.
Mungo Park never said he discovered River Niger, he only discovered the flow path (tracing where it began to were it merges in Lokoja, and its major tributaries and how it empties into the Atlantic ocean) for the River mapping project for the West and he couldn't finish the project due to illness and death.

sonofElElyon:
She is right in that she named the protesters as a whole the "soro soke generation "
She didn't claim to have originated the protest slogan "soro soke" but she was ingenious to have applied it the way she did

English is not your native language so you guys don't know how to use it and don't understand it...

In English language, what she means is that she created the word soro soke.

Stop suffering from colonial mentality..

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by uuzba(m): 1:12pm On May 31, 2022
Princrbamz:
Soro Soke cool
Na im na.
Sidon look generation.
Even oyibo don dey collect opportunity from them.
Dem still sidon dey look.

Dem suppose don slap this woman, land am for jail. But nobody will do it.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by xtremeTall(m): 1:16pm On May 31, 2022
Imagine !
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Invitationn: 1:53pm On May 31, 2022
bigdammyj:
Reading...

Lagos Gov. Babajide Sanwolu, addressing "End SARS" Protesters and someone from the crowd shouted; "SORO SOKE WERE"
Even before then the phrase is popular.
The endsars guy mainstreamed it.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by sonofElElyon: 1:55pm On May 31, 2022
codemaniacs:

English is not your native language so you guys don't know how to use it and don't understand it...

Lack of comprehension
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Breakingnews101: 1:57pm On May 31, 2022
Did you guys even read the content and context?

She isn't claiming anything. She has just borrowed the phrase to describe a new outspoken breed of African youth. I don't see anything wrong with that.

We should not always play the victim card, it's not only annoying, its dishonest.

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Olabode211: 1:57pm On May 31, 2022
international thief thief.

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by SugarGirl44(f): 2:03pm On May 31, 2022
Awon ole.
Always taking credit for what they didn't create.

Soro soke genaratiin that was trending daily on Twitter then is what mama is claiming she started.

Hope naija lawyers can sue her.
Now I regret not studying law, so many things just dey vex me.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by MrAAA2: 2:03pm On May 31, 2022
codemaniacs:

Perhaps you suffer from racial inferiority complex. Excerpts from a verbal interview is enough for you to say that?
Did you read the response from the publishers on this issue? How do you understand it if you understand spoken and written English?
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by SamAfrik(m): 2:08pm On May 31, 2022
People should also focus on the positive side.
She did a great work of research in the publication.
I already downloaded the e-copy of the book and enjoying it right now.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by codemaniacs: 2:19pm On May 31, 2022
MrAAA2:

Perhaps you suffer from racial inferiority complex. Excerpts from a verbal interview is enough for you to say that?
Did you read the response from the publishers on this issue? How do you understand it if you understand spoken and written English?

She said she "named" them...

The same way your parents will say they named you your first name and second name.

If an outsider that has nothing to do with your family and is not related to your family comes and tells you he/she named you your first and second names .. will you believe the outsider over your parents
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by femiasaolu2014: 2:29pm On May 31, 2022
GGirll:
Soro soke was trending with the exit of saraki dynasty in illorin governorship election in 2015 or 2019 I can't place the actual year, to now see this white woman claiming it, shows how much these whites have been raping African countries, now boldly trying to steal our language on top of the suffering in their laboratory, called Nigeria.

Otoge not Soro Soke

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Iretii0511(m): 3:02pm On May 31, 2022
BabaAgba79:

Do we know how to read between the lines at all? The author did not say she invented the phrase. Of course, the phrase Sorosoke is a Yoruba phrase. The author only says that she named this new Nigerian Generation, "Sorosoke Gneration"! Who has ever named this generation so?

But she didn’t. Sorosoke generation has been used even here in NL since 2020
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Iretii0511(m): 3:06pm On May 31, 2022
sonofElElyon:
She is right in that she named the protesters as a whole the "soro soke generation "
She didn't claim to have originated the protest slogan "soro soke" but she was ingenious to have applied it the way she did

She’s not bro

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by CSTRR: 3:31pm On May 31, 2022
sogodihno:
"Soro soke"

Yoruba lagba

This is our incoming president in 2023

Haters should go to hell with their useless 5% votes
And we are going with our votes.

You don't need to tell us.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Jhoanner(f): 3:50pm On May 31, 2022
Guy���
Muhylonaire007:
if she say na she name am soro soke, ehn na she na

1 Like

Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Iamfavored: 3:59pm On May 31, 2022
Soro soke generation
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by sonofElElyon: 4:01pm On May 31, 2022
Iretii0511:

She’s not bro

But I'm sure she didn't see this nairaland post
grin
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Iretii0511(m): 4:40pm On May 31, 2022
sonofElElyon:

But I'm sure she didn't see this nairaland post
grin

It’s been on Twitter bro. I think the cable even had an article with this title.

https://www.thecable.ng/understanding-the-sorosoke-generation
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by sonofElElyon: 4:44pm On May 31, 2022
Iretii0511:

It’s been on Twitter bro. I think the cable even had an article with this title.

https://www.thecable.ng/understanding-the-sorosoke-generation

O pari
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Enumerator(m): 4:45pm On May 31, 2022
You said it all
Ajibade123:
few days before #endSars the term soro soke was already trending on the internet due to one one Lola Idije video that went viral
incidentally it falls with endSars protest
this woman claiming she named the movement is really absurd
what do this people really take us for self ...dumb monkeys??
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by femiasaolu2014: 4:57pm On May 31, 2022
femiasaolu2014:
This is the email I sent to the publisher of the book:

Soro Soke: Cultural misappropriation and false claims by Trish Lorenz
I will like to add my voice to the voices of other 60m Nigeria youths who organically coined and adopted the phrase "Soro Soke" as a moniker for the struggle against police brutality and corruption in October 2020 which your client Trish Lorenz now claims to have coined.

A cursory glance through her social media handles yields nothing to that effect. There were no mentions of the phrase before, during, and after that period when the entire world was focused on the country. #EndSars

Therefore, it is criminal, false, and denigrating of the memory of hundreds of Nigerians who died for the cause for Ms. Lorenz to make a false claim that she named people who participated in the acts of civil disobedience "The Soro Soke Generation".

It's baffling that a foreigner who can't speak a language now claims to have invented an already existing phrase in the same language.

A case of "Mongo Park" discovering the River Niger all over again?

I, therefore, demand that the book be pulled and that false claims be redacted from it.

Also, an apology should be posted on your handles and Ms. Lorenz apologizes for the false claim.

Failure to do this will lead millions of Nigerians to leave negative reviews on Amazon and other book stores, write negative think pieces and reviews online, and do everything possible to ensure that the book doesn't sell.

Resistance is futile, it will only cost you millions in revenue.

Kindly accept the assurances of my warmest regards.

And here is their response:

RE: Soro Soke: Cultural misappropriation and false claims by Trish Lorenz

Dear [Redacted]

Thank you for your email regarding Trish Lorenz’s new book “Soro Soke”.

There was no intention by Trish Lorenz or anyone involved with the book to appropriate the Yoruba expression ‘soro soke’ or the phrase ‘soro soke generation’, and no such claim is made in the book. Rather it was an unintentional turn of phrase in a single interview, the text of which has now been corrected. Soro Soke was chosen as the title due to its use as a rallying cry and call for change among young protestors in Nigeria – something which is made clear in the book.

The Nine Dots Prize, Cambridge University Press and CRASSH

Over 5000 Nigerians Sign Petition Against UK Author, Lorenz Over Book ‘Soro Soke’
http://saharareporters.com/2022/05/31/over-5000-nigerians-sign-petition-against-uk-author-lorenz-over-book-%E2%80%98soro-soke%E2%80%99
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by NofiuFade(m): 6:49pm On May 31, 2022
Ajibade123:
few days before #endSars the term soro soke was already trending on the internet due to one one Lola Idije video that went viral
incidentally it falls with endSars protest
this woman claiming she named the movement is really absurd
what do this people really take us for self ...dumb monkeys??
"Tah" this shows Nigerians don't ever follow details or find out things through research, they just follow the crowd! The soro soke trend originated from one of the viral videos published then in which some sarz officers harassing someone in the car, and the person is been interrogated, from the viral footage one could hear one the officer scream at the person, "soro soke were" the footage go viral on Twitter grin all hell let loose, that's where the ash tag originated from!
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by baretalk: 10:30pm On May 31, 2022
These white people, criminals.
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by Aystarz: 6:08am On Jun 01, 2022
King44:
if I were a lawyer and I know the channel I can go through and sue the life out of her and the book, I would do just that and claim damages then compensate myself and the victims the dead for their effort or if I dey the right position. i go sue her career

We still never sue the assholes down here who ordered the shooting and the dummies in uniform who obeyed it.
Many youths got injured, some died, but here we are moving on like nothing happened. Nationally, whether politicians or the masses, we all have blood on our hands.
The dead won't stop crying!!!
Re: Trish Lorenz Book 'Soro Soke' Sparks Outrage Over Appropriation by King44(m): 7:43am On Jun 01, 2022
Aystarz:

We still never sue the assholes down here who ordered the shooting and the dummies in uniform who obeyed it.
Many youths got injured, and some died, but here we are moving on as if nothing happened. Nationally, whether politicians or the masses, we all have blood on our hands.
The dead won't stop crying!!!
the truth is we are dealing with evil people in political positions, with all the atrocities they committed that day it's enough to retreat as a result of that. You can't even blame the youth for this. The useless panel they set up, nothing came out of it. They stopped talking about it neither did they address the problem.

Now, we only have the option of voting for people that won't kill us come 2023, that's the best justice we can get. Probably, he would help address all the atrocities they intentionally skipped.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fredrick Nwabufo: Chimamanda Adichie Will Lead Women To ‘Hell’ / Chimamanda Ngozi-adichie Celebrates Her 38th Birthday Today / Jake: Son Of Emperor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.