Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

Alleged Primary Election, Aspirants, Dr John Adanike Call For Total Cancellation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alleged Primary Election, Aspirants, Dr John Adanike Call For Total Cancellation (225 Views)

APC Primary Election: Aspirants Kicks, Teams Up Against Andy Uba: Pics & Video / Buhari, Jonathan, Others Mourn Dr. John Pombe Magufuli / Dr. John Kayode Fayemi Lifts Embargo On Ecobank, Gtbank, Zenith Bank …mdas, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Alleged Primary Election, Aspirants, Dr John Adanike Call For Total Cancellation by Mikolo28: 5:27pm On May 30, 2022
Going by the acclaimed primary election for Akoko South East/ Akoko South West Federal constituency House of representatives primary election where Son of former Ondo State Governor and immediate past Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftancy Affairs, Hon Gboyega Adefarati was declared the winner, the exercise had since been described as a charade by one of the aspirants, Barr. John Adanike had since distanced himself from the said election held at International Event Centre Dome, in Akure.
According to him, he said I was shocked to read in the papers and other news outlets that I scored one vote in the primary election that never took place, as far as am concerned.

The electoral law state it clear that a primary election should be held within the Federal Constituency according to section 87(4)(C) of the electoral Act 2010 ( as amended), which provides:

(c) "In the case of nominations to the position of a Senatorial candidate, House of Representatives and State House of Assembly a political party shall, where they intend to sponsor candidates-

(i) hold special congresses in the Senatorial District, Federal Constituency and the State Assembly Constituency respectively, with delegates voting for each of the aspirants in designated centres on specified dates;

(ii) The aspirant with the highest number of votes at the end of voting shall be declared the winner of the primaries of the party and the aspirant’s name shall be forwarded to the Commission as the candidate of the party"

But in the case of my federal constituency primary election, like other senatorial and federal constituencies, our election centre was brought to Akure instead of St Patrick Secondary School, Oka Akoko the main venue scheduled to usfor the election. He further stated that APC guidelines for the nomination of candidates for the 2023 general election, Article 15 II in the last paragraph on page 26 provides:

"Members shall assemble at their respective federal constituency / senatorial zone headquarters and vote by secret ballot"

In preparation for the Friday primary, all was set for the Akoko Southeast/Akoko Southwest primary to be conducted at the St Patrick Secondary School, Oka Akoko when information came to us, that all the aspirants should report in Akure.

According to him, "I was one of the aspirants for the Akoko Southwest/Akoko Southeast federal constituency seat in Ondo State. The primary was supposed to hold at St Patrick Secondary School, Oka Akoko.

"All the aspirants were there in full preparation for the primary. The place was peaceful and no harassment of anybody. We were then called that our attention was needed in Akure. I drove to Akure thinking leaders of the party wanted to talk to us before the primary.

He said, when I got to Akure, I waited for several hours, before I was told that the primary election would hold in Akure that night. other aspirants were not present at the venue except my very self and the acclaimed winner

at about 9 pm. I was told they want to commence primary in Akure. I never saw a delegate list. I did not see other aspirants therefore I could not see myself participating in such primary.

"It is against the law and the electoral guidelines. I was not at the Dome to participate in the primary.

"There was no security problem at St Patrick College. The place was peaceful. The law said I should have access to the delegate list. My agent was not present in Akure so I could not have participated in the primary.

"I am going to seek redress in the court of law. The charade held in Akure cannot stand. We must not allow a repeat of what happened to the APC in Zamfara and River State in 2019."

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Votes Can Win A National Election / Apc Set For 3rd Straight Victory Since 2015, Says President Buhari / 2023 General Elections: History In the Making

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.