Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli - Literature/Writing Ads - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature/Writing Ads / My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli (486 Views)

Lessons Learned In Esperance Vs Al Ahly / Need A Freelance Writer? Here He Is. / I Am A Freelance Writer. I Can Write Anything For You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 9:18am On May 31, 2022
My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli

Freelance writing has become one of the most popular, and in some cases, profitable stay-at-home jobs in Nigeria today.

I was excited to witness writing become a real business in Nigeria, as I have always had a passion for it since I was a kid.

From writing poems and essays in secondary school, to being the head writer at the since defunct Raindrops Magazine (University Of Port Harcourt's very first campus publication), to having my articles published on blogs as big as Pulse NG, NotjustOK, and 360 Nobs.

Even while I was working at Lagos Jump Radio, I was still writing. And somehow someway, clients started reaching out to me, and I started getting paid for my articles.

And that’s how I dabbled into the world of freelance writing!

It has been a memorable experience, and I’d like to share with you, 5 valuable lessons I have learned from all my years as a freelance writer.

1. Writing can make you a millionaire

Sometime in 2021, I wrote a short article about Ja Rule and Fat Joe’s Verzuz battle, and posted it on my Facebook and Instagram pages.

And by the time I woke up the next morning, Verzuz TV (which was founded by the legendary producers Timbaland and Swizz Beatz), had posted both my article and handle on their Instagram Stories!

Verzuz TV's action caused a spike in my post, as it was packed with likes and comments (mainly from black Americans who were hip hop fans).

My short blog post had reached over 10,000 people, one of whom was an ex-marine, who later sent me a DM and asked that I helped him write a book about his experiences in the US – Afghanistan war.

Thousands of Dollars paid into my account, and just like that, a short article about Ja Rule and Fat Joe’s Verzuz battle which I wrote and posted on my page had triggered a reader to hire me for a job that paid me millions of Naira!

This was a big deal at the time, when most clients were paying between N2 to N3 per word!

That made it clear to me that, indeed, it was possible to make millions from one writing contract. Even in Nigeria.

2. You shouldn’t take every job

As a freelance writer, I’m sure you’ve set some standards regarding how much your minimum pay should be. However, you may find yourself in a tight financial situation where you would be tempted to take jobs that pay you far less than what you normally charge.

That wouldn’t be such a crisis if the particular task was an easy one. But it could be an emotional hellfire for you if that low-paying job is a tedious one, and your client is a total a**hole!

I’ve been in this situation a few times, and I regretted them all. I couldn’t deliver my best, as I couldn’t put my heart into the tasks, mainly because of the low fees and the uninteresting topics.

This is not to say I haven’t happily done jobs that paid very low. I have many times, as long as I enjoy the topics, then I’d gladly write it for peanuts.

But if you’re not inspired by the task, and the pay is as low as Messi's center of gravity, then DO NOT TAKE THE JOB!

Yes, I know, ignoring money when you’re flat broke is hard. But it’s better than taking the job, grumbling later, delivering below expectation, and quarrelling with your client afterwards!

3. You should determine your price, not your client

I always find it funny when I give a client my charge, and they say something like “No, I’ve been paying all my writers Bleep amount, and that is the amount I will pay you”.

Like, how?

You came to me with a task, and it’s only right that I give you my bill. Of course, we can negotiate the charges, but imposing an amount on me won’t fly.

And if the two of you can’t come to terms, then let it go. Sooner than later, you’ll secure a client that will pay your talent's worth.

In my early days of freelancing, I used to accept whatever I was offered, and that made me work harder, for longer, for less!

Very unrewarding!

4. Never agree to a pay-after-service policy

Distrust can go both ways, as many clients are weary of writers, and how they may abscond with their monies if they pay upfront. Writers too are afraid that their clients will disappear after submitting a task.

This has happened to me on more occasions than I’d like to remember. The most painful was being blocked by my client after I had submitted a 5,000 word project without collecting a dime!

Since my last experience, I made up my mind to always collect an upfront for any job. If possible, a 100% payment.

You might be scared that a pay-before-service policy will chase away your clients. Well, it may chase some, but the ones who are serious about their projects will agree to it.

Which brings me to the 5th and final lesson I learned from freelance writing.

5. Good writings are more valuable than the money being offered for them

How long will N2 or N3 or N4 or N5 per word last? Not long.

But how long will that book, YouTube script, or article last for your client? Probably forever!

What about well-written sales copies that can help a business gain thousands of paying clients, or statements of purpose that can help an aspiring M.Sc. student be accepted into a foreign university?

Are all these not worth far more than the amount of money your clients are paying for them?

This is not to say you should charge Heaven and Earth for your services, but make sure you charge an amount that you believe is fair reward for your work.

Besides the fact that your writings can help drive your client’s ambitions forward, have you considered the health implications of staring at a computer screen for too long?

Is the money you’re being paid enough for you to go and see an eye doctor, or take care of your eyes in general?

Once you realize that what you’re offering your client is greater in value than the amount they are paying you, then all the pay-after-service and N2 per word talk will end!

Final Thoughts

Writing is a serious business that can help one live an above-average life, here in Nigeria. It can even make you rich, depending on the quality of your work, and the quality of clients you work for.

There are many lessons to be learned from our experiences as writers (both good and bad). As long as we use the lessons to better our craft, and deliver top-notch services to our clients, then the only way we can go is up.

Thanks for reading!

My name is Amechi, a freelance writer with a lifetime of writing experience. I won’t say I’m the best at what I do, but I am yet to find a Nigerian writer who’s better (pardon the cockiness).

Want to reach me? Then give me a buzz on WhatsApp +2348033422206.

Let’s vibe!

3 Likes

Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 8:40am On Jun 01, 2022
Experience is the best tutor!
Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 6:39pm On Jun 04, 2022
Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 1:54am On Jun 10, 2022
My writing experience can work for you!
Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 9:06pm On Jun 12, 2022
Writing Tips!
Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by MaeJ09(f): 6:42pm On Jun 14, 2022
amechispeaks:
My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli

Freelance writing has become one of the most popular, and in some cases, profitable stay-at-home jobs in Nigeria today.

I was excited to witness writing become a real business in Nigeria, as I have always had a passion for it since I was a kid.

From writing poems and essays in secondary school, to being the head writer at the since defunct Raindrops Magazine (University Of Port Harcourt's very first campus publication), to having my articles published on blogs as big as Pulse NG, NotjustOK, and 360 Nobs.

Even while I was working at Lagos Jump Radio, I was still writing. And somehow someway, clients started reaching out to me, and I started getting paid for my articles.

And that’s how I dabbled into the world of freelance writing!

It has been a memorable experience, and I’d like to share with you, 5 valuable lessons I have learned from all my years as a freelance writer.

1. Writing can make you a millionaire

Sometime in 2021, I wrote a short article about Ja Rule and Fat Joe’s Verzuz battle, and posted it on my Facebook and Instagram pages.

And by the time I woke up the next morning, Verzuz TV (which was founded by the legendary producers Timbaland and Swizz Beatz), had posted both my article and handle on their Instagram Stories!

Verzuz TV's action caused a spike in my post, as it was packed with likes and comments (mainly from black Americans who were hip hop fans).

My short blog post had reached over 10,000 people, one of whom was an ex-marine, who later sent me a DM and asked that I helped him write a book about his experiences in the US – Afghanistan war.

Thousands of Dollars paid into my account, and just like that, a short article about Ja Rule and Fat Joe’s Verzuz battle which I wrote and posted on my page had triggered a reader to hire me for a job that paid me millions of Naira!

This was a big deal at the time, when most clients were paying between N2 to N3 per word!

That made it clear to me that, indeed, it was possible to make millions from one writing contract. Even in Nigeria.

2. You shouldn’t take every job

As a freelance writer, I’m sure you’ve set some standards regarding how much your minimum pay should be. However, you may find yourself in a tight financial situation where you would be tempted to take jobs that pay you far less than what you normally charge.

That wouldn’t be such a crisis if the particular task was an easy one. But it could be an emotional hellfire for you if that low-paying job is a tedious one, and your client is a total a**hole!

I’ve been in this situation a few times, and I regretted them all. I couldn’t deliver my best, as I couldn’t put my heart into the tasks, mainly because of the low fees and the uninteresting topics.

This is not to say I haven’t happily done jobs that paid very low. I have many times, as long as I enjoy the topics, then I’d gladly write it for peanuts.

But if you’re not inspired by the task, and the pay is as low as Messi's center of gravity, then DO NOT TAKE THE JOB!

Yes, I know, ignoring money when you’re flat broke is hard. But it’s better than taking the job, grumbling later, delivering below expectation, and quarrelling with your client afterwards!

3. You should determine your price, not your client

I always find it funny when I give a client my charge, and they say something like “No, I’ve been paying all my writers Bleep amount, and that is the amount I will pay you”.

Like, how?

You came to me with a task, and it’s only right that I give you my bill. Of course, we can negotiate the charges, but imposing an amount on me won’t fly.

And if the two of you can’t come to terms, then let it go. Sooner than later, you’ll secure a client that will pay your talent's worth.

In my early days of freelancing, I used to accept whatever I was offered, and that made me work harder, for longer, for less!

Very unrewarding!

4. Never agree to a pay-after-service policy

Distrust can go both ways, as many clients are weary of writers, and how they may abscond with their monies if they pay upfront. Writers too are afraid that their clients will disappear after submitting a task.

This has happened to me on more occasions than I’d like to remember. The most painful was being blocked by my client after I had submitted a 5,000 word project without collecting a dime!

Since my last experience, I made up my mind to always collect an upfront for any job. If possible, a 100% payment.

You might be scared that a pay-before-service policy will chase away your clients. Well, it may chase some, but the ones who are serious about their projects will agree to it.

Which brings me to the 5th and final lesson I learned from freelance writing.

5. Good writings are more valuable than the money being offered for them

How long will N2 or N3 or N4 or N5 per word last? Not long.

But how long will that book, YouTube script, or article last for your client? Probably forever!

What about well-written sales copies that can help a business gain thousands of paying clients, or statements of purpose that can help an aspiring M.Sc. student be accepted into a foreign university?

Are all these not worth far more than the amount of money your clients are paying for them?

This is not to say you should charge Heaven and Earth for your services, but make sure you charge an amount that you believe is fair reward for your work.

Besides the fact that your writings can help drive your client’s ambitions forward, have you considered the health implications of staring at a computer screen for too long?

Is the money you’re being paid enough for you to go and see an eye doctor, or take care of your eyes in general?

Once you realize that what you’re offering your client is greater in value than the amount they are paying you, then all the pay-after-service and N2 per word talk will end!

Final Thoughts

Writing is a serious business that can help one live an above-average life, here in Nigeria. It can even make you rich, depending on the quality of your work, and the quality of clients you work for.

There are many lessons to be learned from our experiences as writers (both good and bad). As long as we use the lessons to better our craft, and deliver top-notch services to our clients, then the only way we can go is up.

Thanks for reading!

My name is Amechi, a freelance writer with a lifetime of writing experience. I won’t say I’m the best at what I do, but I am yet to find a Nigerian writer who’s better (pardon the cockiness).

Want to reach me? Then give me a buzz on WhatsApp +2348033422206.

Let’s vibe!

Hi Amaechi! Nice write up.

But just to chip in and point out one inherent flaw in you writing tip — which doesn't invalidate all you said, by the way.

You're not the "best writer in Nigeria." And I can tell you why from an editorial and objective view point.

For starters, there are no masters of writing. Doesn't matter how long you been at the craft. It's art; not science.

I could spot many word fats and fillers in your epistle. Again, this doesn't invalidate your freelancing experience.

But if you've worked with several different senior editors, you'll know that there's no cut-and-dried style that makes you the best.

Moreover, there are different types of writing. You cannot be proficient in all them.

Now, chances are you're likely exaggerating the best part, but that's a rookie move and may be counter-effective.

Of course, your self-proclaimed epistle is not my business.

But, there are impressionable people on here, genuinely looking to better their writing.

If your intent is to give writing tips, then please do so objectively, rather than write tips only fit for a low budget LinkedIn platform.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 2:56am On Jun 15, 2022
MaeJ09:

Hi Amaechi! Nice write up.

But just to chip in and point out one inherent flaw in you writing tip — which doesn't invalidate all you said, by the way.

You're not the "best writer in Nigeria." And I can tell you why from an editorial and objective view point.

For starters, there are no masters of writing. Doesn't matter how long you been at the craft. It's art; not science.

I could spot many word fats and fillers in your epistle. Again, this doesn't invalidate your freelancing experience.

But if you've worked with several different senior editors, you'll know that there's no cut-and-dried style that makes you the best.

Moreover, there are different types of writing. You cannot be proficient in all them.

Now, chances are you're likely exaggerating the best part, but that's a rookie move and may be counter-effective.

Of course, your self-proclaimed epistle is not my business.

But, there are impressionable people on here, genuinely looking to better their writing.

If your intent is to give writing tips, then please do so objectively, rather than write tips only fit for a low budget LinkedIn platform.

Cheers.

First of all, you can't tell me what to do.

Secondly, your opinion doesn't count.

Lastly, you can't tell me what to do and your opinion doesn't count.

Cheers!
Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by Fyerce299: 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2022
This is a very nice write up.
Thanks and keep up the good work you do �

1 Like

Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 11:55pm On Jun 22, 2022
Fyerce299:
This is a very nice write up.
Thanks and keep up the good work you do �

Thanks!
Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 7:21am On Jul 06, 2022
Writing experience.
Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by AndroidAI(m): 10:50am On Jul 07, 2022
I chuckled when he said he's yet to meet a Nigerian writer that's better.

This is a clear case of self delusion if you ask me. While I respect the intentions, I can't overlook the apparent cheap chest beat.

It's like baking delicious cookies and smearing them with a big pile of horseshit.

No!
Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 2:37pm On Jul 07, 2022
AndroidAI:
I chuckled when he said he's yet to meet a Nigerian writer that's better.

This is a clear case of self delusion if you ask me. While I respect the intentions, I can't overlook the apparent cheap chest beat.

It's like baking delicious cookies and smearing them with a big pile of horseshit.

No!
Pull your shorts down, and go sit on a spiked fence!
Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by New007: 9:10pm On Jul 18, 2022
Thanks. This is inspiring. It's true that writing is an art. However, there's no need to insult Amaechi. If anything, I draw from this.
We should learn from people, especially those earning right from this art. Aren't some of you tired of the almost always mandatory N1, N2, or N3? Lord knows I'm tired!

1 Like

Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 6:55am On Jul 23, 2022
New007:
Thanks. This is inspiring. It's true that writing is an art. However, there's no need to insult Amaechi. If anything, I draw from this.
We should learn from people, especially those earning right from this art. Aren't some of you tired of the almost always mandatory N1, N2, or N3? Lord knows I'm tired!

God bless you bro!

1 Like

Re: My Top 5 Lessons Learned As A Freelance Writer - By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 2:34pm On Nov 16, 2022
Follow me on Instagram @amechi_okoli let's vibe!

(1) (Reply)

Christmas Bonanza.......you Cant Beat This / Which Nairaland Forum Are You More Active In? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.