Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,041 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

How I Became An IT Administrator With Vast Experience - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How I Became An IT Administrator With Vast Experience (332 Views)

Web Developer With Vast Python Experience Needed For A Project / Vacancy For SEO Expert & Web Administrator / In Need Of Premium Template For Blogger Blog With Vast Number Of Google Fonts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Became An IT Administrator With Vast Experience by mitchellwealth(m): 11:49am On Jun 01, 2022
Sorry if you find this story boring or non tech related but I am definitely sure that you will with interest develop the zeal to be what you ever wanted to accomplish in life no matter who is saying the no in your life.

I remember that very day I was visiting a friend in her tutorial center way back in the late 90s, I say a funny TV(monitor) on each student desk and being curious, she mentioned they were called computers. Shocked that this thing can be found in the academic arena, cause my only knowledge of computers were the primitive Atari games and 8-bits computer games with my expertise in games like Mario, Contra and others.

I had always had an affiliation to computer games but never knew till that day it was vital in the new age of academic excellence. Like a bug, it stuck to me and ever since then, I was always thinking on what it was made up of, just like I had tingled with a lot of my fathers gadgets and ended up damaging them beyond repair.

While in the university, I stumbled on a programming language called q-basic and that arose more interest in the use of this box called the computer.

Then I realized I could create online accounts and store files in one location using my email address and actually access it in another location which was allowed cause of the power of something called the internet. I remember being blown away and began the idea of knowing that this box called the computer is the future of the world at large.

I met a strange friend one day online and he promised to send me a huge biochemistry text book, using my school’s address as a point of contact, I was amazed when I was called for questioning as regards how I could convince someone I knew little of to send such a huge knowledge bound book, it was seized and I was left to control only the digital copy which was sent to my email address, respectively.

After school days, seeking for employment was not my option and the journey into this world of internet and information technology was bigger than my daily needs. My mom seeing how much I was spending so much of my time and resources in this direction, she gave me a nudge.

She registered me for a network company and asked me to try using this my thing to sell the products. I took the bait and my first sales came from a call from kaduna, a lady asking of my location and giving me the address of a contact I must take the products to and get my money. I did likewise and instantly I realized what I have been looking for over the years on this box. The money power of the internet, I was zealous at what I could do with this box and thus started my journey into the e-commerce world.

In this day and age, I realized I had accomplished these feats without the likes of [url=https://]JIJI Marketplace[/url], [url=https://]JUMIA Online Store[/url] and others. Oh I love the You a tube of old, where individuals with a vision into the future share solid information for free with no interest of making money per likes or subscription.

With cheer luck and a little hard work, I happen to find myself following up a course on computer science in a neighboring country but ended up self educating self when the school fees could not easily be met without a job permit. We did found our ways to survive and pay rents by waiting on tables while still pushing the need to have more knowledge in this field of information technology. Very soon, I became the hub of knowledge for anyone seeking to know more about computers, either fir personal use or recommendations to schools. More expenses were incurred at the foot of knowledge acquisition and I soon joined an event musical equipment setup company, where my muscles never failed me while carrying heavy speakers, amplifier and heavy connecting cables for setup at various hotels and event centers.

Three years into my struggle for worry and knowledge building in a foreign land, I received my first interview to manage series of security CCTV cameras, multi desktop and laptop computers and IP voip network phones. Out of fear of failure and uncertainty of my ability to even learn these new fear, I almost turned down this interview but alas, I was given a nudge to give it a try and that particular day, I was not even sure where my lunch and dinner could come from cause I was cashless, bankless and hopeless.

“Can you do the job?”, this question has always bugged me since my experience and this was my major interview question. I had no clue what to say cause I had no idea what a CCTV was, neither do I know what I means to make an SIP call. Much worse was that I had more knowledge in the desktop computers and it’s troubleshooting but they had no desktop in this company, all laptops.... hmmm Wahala

My series of all night and acquisitions of knowledge began to pay off as the need fir long distance networking ensued and you must think on your feed to resolve major issues, no time to even visit the manuals and no one to ask as well. Who do you ask a question about your field when you are the only one in your department.

Every day was a new experience, the internet could just disconnect or go bad in certain sections of certain departments, or a camera could fail to transmit, an IP phone could suddenly be open for external calls, which should not, or a laptop could suddenly lock its owner out and a router could just break down, an email could stop sending and receiving mails, the company website could be defaced and many many worse scenarios but amidst this chaos, the day always end with a smile on my face cause I felt more alive than I ever been in this world than in any I have experienced ever.

In all these massive troubleshooting and error detections, I had pulled a rabbit out of my ass on good many occasions. Did you ask how? Don’t worry, I will tell you when next I find time to be free to share...

The journey to the juicy pot of soup is not reliant on the distance alone cause Many have covered the distance and yet ignorant of what they can make off that juicy taste in their mouth. Take the bull by the horn and delve into your believes

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Adds New Feature / Chatgpt / What Is The Best Option To Withdraw From UBA USD Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.