Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:22 AM

What To Do When Being Attacked By A Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What To Do When Being Attacked By A Dog (588 Views)

Dog Saves Owner From Being Attacked In Her House (Video) / Do You Have A Dog For Adoption / Inside A Dog Meat Factory: Shocking Photos Reveal How Dogs Are Chained Up(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When Being Attacked By A Dog by collinsEFF(m): 8:17am On Jun 02, 2022
Dogs are predators.
Predators enjoy the hunt, the simple act of hunting is pleasurable, even if they never get the prey: that’s because wild animals don’t often catch the prey, and if they did not have fun hunting they wouldn’t do that so often (which would mean, less prey caught, less food, more animals starving).
This means that they usually instinctually start hunting anything that behaves like a prey: anything that run away.
That’s the reason dog often chase runners or bikers, and the reason why running away from a dog is something you should never, never, never do. Never. Not even if the dog is really trying to kill you: he’s still going to catch you, only by running away you are actually awakening his hunting instincts. Don’t run away.
If you are a biker or a runner, stop running.
Talk, that should help the dog recognize you are human and not prey: when their hunting instincts take over, dogs stop using any other sense, or even listening. They enter what is called “one track mind”: the only thing they can think about is catching the prey, they won’t even stop to see what they are chasing. That’s why you should stop (no longer calling on his instincts) and talk, that may help.
Then see whay happens, the dog may be curious but friendly, you shouldn’t behave as though any dog will try to attack you, they may approach just because they are curious.
Send the dog calming signals (blink, yawn, lick your lips, avoid eye contact), don’t make sudden moves, and move away slowly, backward if the dog seems actually aggressive. If you have something (bike, bag, jacket) keep it between you and the dog (without waving it or hitting the dog, unless you want him to attack out of self defence).
Actually, make sure you don’t flail around. Don’t scream. Don’t hit the dog. All of these things will just make him more excited.
If you have a kid or a dog, don’t pick them up: that as well may awake the hunting instincts, or just make them curios, since they don’t understand what you just picked up. This may cause the dog to jump on you, scratch (unwillingly!) the kid or dog, scare you, maybe even make you fall… don’t do that, instead put yourself between the dog and your child/dog, act as a barrier while you back away (without flailing or screaming or running)
This works even if the reason the dog is attacking you is doing so because he believes you have entered his territory: back away, send calming signals, get out from his territory.

Most dogs don’t want to bite. Most dogs will be happy not having to, so don’t give them any reason and they won’t.

IF AN OFF-LEASH DOG APPROACHES YOU ON A WALK:

* Call out to the owner. “Come get your dog, mine is contagious!” often works.

*Remove visual stimulus, get something between you (umbrella, car, garbage pail, blanket, etc.).

*Try firmly telling the approaching dog a familiar cue, such as “sit” or “stay.”

IF A FRIGHTENING OFF-LEASH DOG APPROACHES, DO NOT;

Scream
Run
Flail limbs
Panic
Make eye contact
Jump up and down

IFA DOG ATTACKS :

*Keep your hands and arms in front of your body to protect them.

*Don’t put your hand near the fighting or attacking dogs’ mouths, or touch the dogs where they could easily turn around and bite you.

*Do not grab collars
*If the dog bites you and isn’t letting go, move your arm or body part into the dog’s mouth, rather than trying to pull it out. This will prevent more damage to you through tearing.
Keep the dog from shaking its head or your body if they do not release.

*Children should curl themselves into as tight a ball as possible and be as still as possible.
As hard as it is, teach children to not squeal or cry if at all possible - that only increases the excitement of the Attacking dog.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Being Attacked By A Dog by collinsEFF(m): 8:19am On Jun 02, 2022

Re: What To Do When Being Attacked By A Dog by chris4gold(m): 9:52am On Jun 02, 2022
Lala, this info is educative, do the needful na

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Being Attacked By A Dog by 1F30M4(f): 10:59am On Jun 02, 2022
Thank you, Collins. I really wish one can easily pick up on all these. Our instincts comes to play at the speed of light lol, it makes us react the way we do especially when we sense danger. There's actually no time to think, we just act on it, even though it doesn't seem like the right move as you have pointed out, it is what it is.

I really do hope we all remember whenever we find ourselves in a situation as such. I'm particularly thankful for this piece, never did I know about the dog calming signals until now, I'll hold onto that and learn to put that into practice while hoping it doesn't(never) get(s) to the biting stage. Things can escalate so fast lol. Thank you, once more.

This is FP-worthy, mods please push it so people can learn one or two. Cheers!
Re: What To Do When Being Attacked By A Dog by billie44: 1:35pm On Jun 02, 2022
It happens. And I am pleased with the fact that it happens quite rarely. When I was bitten by a dog, I decided that I would no longer be defenseless. So I decided to buy a German Shepherd to train it in the future to protect me. To the question of buying and choosing a puppy decided to be as responsible as possible. I chose the service through which I will buy a puppy here. If you had a problem with dogs on the street a sheepdog is a great dog for your protection. shocked

(1) (Reply)

Top Quality Black Female Italian Mastiff Puppy For Sale / Male Eskimo Available For 30k / A New Pet In My Compound

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.