Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,216 members, 7,822,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Please I Need Your Help - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please I Need Your Help (1209 Views)

Bank Workers I Need Your Help / Please Narialanders I Need Your Help And Advice.(doing An Mba, Acca Or Ican). / Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Your Help by SIlknSteel(f): 4:45pm On Jul 18, 2011
Am a mid twenties Economics graduate with a good GP but yet to secure a befitting job. I am gradually going nuts. I have what it takes but l dont understand why l am still @home. Pls Ur meaning contributions will be highly appreciated and if U know anywhere you feel l could check: Recruitment firms,companies to submit hard copies especially or sites please do not hesistate to help a sister out. Am begining to lose faith in myself. NLders pls
Re: Please I Need Your Help by chamber2(m): 9:57pm On Jul 18, 2011
but you wrote this;

Keep trying until you win shocked shocked
Re: Please I Need Your Help by SIlknSteel(f): 5:12am On Jul 19, 2011
And God knows l have bin. Sometyms we need to lean on d shoulders of others to be able win especially when we have tried the best we can
Re: Please I Need Your Help by chamber2(m): 5:15am On Jul 19, 2011
Ok, give me ur email ID, i will forward a list of companies and their websites to you.Since you read Econs, i think you will fit in well.Just take your time and apply to as many as you can.
Re: Please I Need Your Help by yamakuza: 8:38am On Jul 19, 2011
Have u tried jobberman and dragnet sites?

Like how many applications have u submitted, and how many interviews have u attended?

If ur interview rate is low, u need to start by polishing ur cv. No point sending more of it out in its current state.

If u r getting interviews but still at home, perhaps ur expectations r too high ala befitting.

There r many ways of using this period productively cos when u start working, u wont have this kind of time!
Re: Please I Need Your Help by AjanleKoko: 8:47am On Jul 19, 2011
I will say this: Jobs won't come to you, you have to go to them. Go out and look for something to do, no matter how unglamorous.
Keep on posting job ads, keep pounding your streets, and keep on applying for any and every job you can.

I know someone personally who applied over three thousand times for jobs in one year, in the UK. Yes, in the UK, not in Nigeria. He finally got one. And this is a chap who had been a CIO in a very top multinational in Nigeria before he relocated. I'm not exaggerating. Three thousand jobs, yes.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help by SIlknSteel(f): 9:06am On Jul 19, 2011
@Chambers: Thank you so much dearie
@Yama: I have bin applying and no my expectations aint high,  'Begger' cant afford to be choosers in some cases Swthrt n Yes l have gone for some interviews but dey finally boiled down to who do U knw,most cases ya nt all. Even if l have to go through a recruitment firm at an agreement,no problems. Staying @home can drive one to d extreme.
@Ajanle: I will dear but l must confess that it hurts n hurts real bad esp when U get to come across coursemates whom U were better dan in sch havn d best of jobs. It puts your resolve to test big tym!
Re: Please I Need Your Help by yamakuza: 9:19am On Jul 19, 2011
^ wowz. @AJ

Sometimes I get the impression that current vacancies dont exist, the way ppl say they r job hunting. On the flip side, u have hr mgrs with thousands of applications who cant find the right people to employ because skillsets dont match.

3000 applications in the UK is 'easy' cos its structured. They will even call you with job offers, or to apologise if they have to return your cv. Wish 9ja was like that.

But the gist is that she has her work cut out for her and she still has a long way to go. She's just starting and is already tired. Uhmmn!

@ op: like what kind of job do u have your eyes on?

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help by SIlknSteel(f): 9:42am On Jul 19, 2011
@Yama: A befitting job in a dynamic environment dat allows for career improvement,personal enhancement and team play.
Re: Please I Need Your Help by yamakuza: 10:16am On Jul 19, 2011
^ aka : Anything. Almost.

Would that include marketing roles by any chance?
Re: Please I Need Your Help by SIlknSteel(f): 12:16pm On Jul 19, 2011
No,not marketing in d 9jirian context pls. It is something else really! Can we chat? If U dont mind I posted my email id. I wld be delighted if U cld contact me. What do say?
Re: Please I Need Your Help by chamber2(m): 12:34pm On Jul 19, 2011
I will dear but l must confess that it hurts n hurts real bad esp when U get to come across coursemates whom U were better dan in sch havn d best of jobs. It puts your resolve to test big tym!

My dear, this part is most painful.But God is alive, don't worry you will hit your ideal job soon.Keep applying.

i will send the stuff now

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help by AjanleKoko: 4:20pm On Jul 19, 2011
The first problem I see here is that OP is looking for an entry level position anywhere, no specifics, just the archetypal 'good job'.

That in itself is a problem. Not only in Nigeria, but all over the world, entry positions are very scarce right now. 20+ million American graduates are underemployed or unemployed, according to Time. The whole thing would be subject to pure luck, not even connections. For example, I am a senior manager working somewhere, I have lots of young people looking for work, and have not been able to place anybody even for an interview this year, despite my multitude of industry connections. I even relate to MDs of service companies, but yet am unable to help anybody get a job.

What's the solution to this? Nowadays one needs to specialize quickly, and cut to the chase. If its accounting you want to pursue or finance, it's better you start pursuing those qualifications immediately. Sometimes, even right from school. No employer in Nigeria really wants to develop or grow people these days. Now they need skilled people. Find a skill and go and learn it. It doesn't have to be something glamorous. I noticed, especially from NL, that people are turning to health and safety, as a means of finding work in the oil industry. I pray they won't be disappointed, cos it just does not work that way.

Second problem: OP is not really doing anything apart from job search.
I'll tell you something. Job search is trauma in the modern world. I am almost sure, somewhere in this wide world, people are committing suicide due to their inability to find work. I think so because, trust me, there is nothing more psychologically damaging than pounding the streets everyday looking for a job that just won't turn up.
What's the solution to this? You cannot afford to make job search your primary occupation. You need to find something to occupy your time. Something that can put change in your pocket, even if it means selling recharge cards. If you have people that can sponsor some kind of further education or certification, put energy into that rather than into job search. You will eventually find a job, but it's not likely to be the glamorous one you were dreaming of, at least not immediately. So forget about your

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help by SIlknSteel(f): 8:14pm On Jul 19, 2011
@Chamber: Thank U so much dearie. I sincerely appreciate. Will check them out asap.
@Ajanle: Wld U apply as experienced hire wen U are not? Yes,for my level l fink entry level surfices but U are also ryt cos it is next to unavailable. Sincerely,l have bin doing mur of job search dan anything else cos l aint dat bouyant for an MSc or prof certificatn for now bt am currently undergoing a training on CRM n l am hoping dat adds a plus
Re: Please I Need Your Help by alphykool(m): 1:08pm On Jul 20, 2011
Hi,
You have graduated and still at home for sometimes now, well I want to encourage you not to give up. I read Economics, just like you did. I stayed at home for close to 3years. However, I may want to suggest you start any work you can lay your hand. Some of us never wanted to start small job, but this is where the experience to prepare you for the big job comes in. After graduating and having tired of staying at home, I opted to work for free. How? I started analying questionnaire free for one social impact assessment consultant, you know how time consuming analysing questionnaire is. Inspite of that I never ask him for a kobo. You may not believe it, those experience placed me where I am today.

So, look for whom you feel you can attached yourself to. Do that which you find yourself doing with your whole heart, even if you're not getting anything from it. Aim at the longterm, ok. I can't say much here, you just have to take action.

Alphykool
www.ejobsearchtalk.com

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help by SIlknSteel(f): 6:07am On Jul 21, 2011
@Ap: Thanks dearie.
I sincerely appreciate everyone that has taken time, that is taking time and that will take to help through comments,suggestions as well as advice. Am indeed grateful. Shows we have got one another's back and that to me means everything. Thumbs up Yamz, Chamber n Ajanle.
Thanks dearies!
Re: Please I Need Your Help by funkysamy: 4:44pm On Jul 22, 2011
hi,

i appreciate what you are going through, and i must say u have been given many good advice above. let me also add my voice my saying; pls do not just sit at home and make an occupation out of jobsearching, while you are searching find something doing - you can apply to teach in schools, you can learn new skills (driving, fashion designing,catering etc) you can also learn small small skills that will be fetching you some small money for your bills. you can write professional exams and develop your self in many area

no employer wants to employ a burden, they are all looking for the best, so make sure you work on your skills in the main time; if you have opportunity to do volunteer work grab it dont refuse it.remember opportunity onlycomes to the man that is prepared for it.

there are also internet business that you can do that are genuine with just ur internet access and lappy. i can give u some ideas if u r the research type. take care

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help by UpDates1(m): 8:49am On Jul 25, 2011
sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help by SIlknSteel(f): 10:23am On Apr 25, 2015
Hello everyone! I was just breezing through and thought to chwck through my profile when I stumbbled upon this topic I posted years ago! Gosh, I can still remember the feelings like it was yesterday!

I want to sincerely say a VERY BIG THANK YOU to all you guys! Itz bin years I know but your words pushed me! I did as you advised, got something that I was been paid 35k in Lekki all d way from Festac Monday - Saturday. Half of the salary was spent on Tfare n feeding but it was better than staying at home....and den, God remembered! I got an Entry level job in 2012, married in 2013 n became a mother in 2014! Am working towards my post graduate studies n itz bin God all the way!
I AM HUMBLED BY ALL OF YOU DEARIES WHO ENCOURAGED ME, MAY GOD REMEMBER YOU AS WELL...*hugs n kisses*
P.S: 4gv my typos

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Need Ican/ats Study Packs At Affordable Prices? / How Lucrative Is Software Development Business In Nigeria? / Discussion Ground For Flight Attendants/cabin Crew Members.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.