Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi (5426 Views)

Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok / Stanbic IBTC Gets Licence For Islamic Banking Operations In Nigeria / Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Kx: 9:38am On Jul 19, 2011
A good product sells itself.

Why is Sanusi fighting so hard to justify his bokobanking, islamic banking??
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by texazzpete(m): 9:41am On Jul 19, 2011
Kx:

A good product sells itself.

Why is Sanusi fighting so hard to justify his bokobanking, islamic banking??

Because bigots like you are associating the word 'Islam' with boko haram and destruction.
There are many Muslims that have abused their religion and distorted it to give credence to their violent ways. There are also many others that will not countenance violence.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by trimwis: 9:54am On Jul 19, 2011
Because bigots like you are associating the word 'Islam' with boko haram and destruction.
There are many Muslims that have abused their religion and distorted it to give credence to their violent ways. There are also many others that will not countenance violence.

You are absolutely correct this why i said when it comes to religion people don't think they only react.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by texazzpete(m): 10:01am On Jul 19, 2011
rhymz:

If I were you, I will do a thorough research before jumping on the non-interest islamic banking poo. First, nobody, group or region is against islamic banking or whatever the name they call it. The problem is the unconstitutional manner our bigoted CBN governor is going about it.
1. Nigeria is a secular state governed by a secular constitution which is supreme to any other laws ob the land.

You ARE against Islamic banking. CAN is against Islamic banking. And it's mainly due to the 'Islamic' in the name.
Constitutionally, the CBN governor is empowered to draft guidelines for the establishment of banks. I have no recollection of Soludo going begging to the National Assembly before carrying out his banking sector consolidations many years ago.

rhymz:

3. With the above said, why the need to set rules and regulations for the operations of islamic banking- one of the models of non-interest banking-different from the already existing laws that guards all forms of non-interest banking.
4. The Practise of Islamic banking can only be possible in Nigeria after the NA must have rectified it that it should have rules and regulations different from what is already existing-trust me bro, that aint never going to happen as it will contravene certain provisions of the constitution that excludes the participation of any religio in state matters plus the implication of allowing such will be dentrimental to the unity of this country.

The CBN Governor has the right to review existing guidelines prior to implementation. It's one thing to draft a plan, it's another to review with current reality just before implementation. In fact, i'd be very dissapointed in Sanusi if he had made no move to review or revise existing guidelines. He now has ownership of the process and will definitely take the backlash if anything goes awry.
Can you confirm if the National Assembly made ANY input into the previous guidelines? I'd suspect none. So why do you want to drag this through the National Assembly?
As for participation of religions in state matters, may i remind you that Sharia Courts have been operating with Government sanction for a while now?

rhymz:

5. Islamic banking operates under the principles of sharia which our constitution does not recognize in this regard. Besides these laws are very discriminatory, for example each of this banks will have an islamic council who will be responsible for decisions taken by the banks and only muslims with islamic banking expertise will be on this council, what about Nigerians who are not muslims but wants to participate?
6. There is also the issue of moral rectitude and equality, if only muslims will be allowed on the council or management board of these islamic banks, will it be fair for a nuslim to be on the management board of conventional banks who collect the forbidden riba that is the reason for the islamic banking in the first place? Why will you discriminate  against me from participating on the management of your banks only to be in the mangement of the banks you claim collect riba and commit sins? Is that not double dealing?

Moral issues have no say here. This should not be turned into an 'us against them' issue. Wetin concern me if white man no dey board of Ebony, BET and FUBU?  grin. The core benefit is bringing islamic compliant banking to the 'unbanked', which is bound to be positive for our economy. I am not an economics genius and so i remain bitterly dissapointed in most of you NL commentators that leave any economic +ves and -ves and jump straight into bigoted and intolerant views about Islam.

Any lingering moral issues or doubts are what I expect the leadership of CAN or any other aggrieved body to thrash out in discussions with Sanusi instead of this cheap battle on Newspaper pages.

rhymz:

Do you even understand how this claims of non-profit collecting works? The only difference I see is what they choose to call it, while conventional banks will say interest, islamic banks will collect marked up commissions may small though.

Does that really concern you? If this is compliant with their religion and they have no issues with it, let them enjoy.

rhymz:

Finally, do you know the security risks of letting these kinds of banks to start shop in Nigeria? Do you know that the sharia laws under which its operations are anchored does not allow disclosure of account holders information to authorites? Imagine, in these days of terrorism and bokoharam in the north. God forbid that kind thing for here abeg!

Can you show us a detailed study/research into how Islamic banking in the US and UK have aided terrorism? If this banking model is readily amenable to the free flow of cash to the likes of Al Qaeda, why are they still operating in the Western countries?

What next, we demand the closure of mosques if they don't allow us install Government monitored CCTVs?

In summary, all these negatives can be taken to Sanusi and an explanation or discussion demanded among those lines. Why is CAN not picking up the gauntlet here? Why this climate of intolerance?
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by texazzpete(m): 10:03am On Jul 19, 2011
After my last reply, here's a disclaimer.

In before any imbecilic toad starts accusing me of being a Boko Haram, i'm a Christian from the South. I just will not subscribe to the herd mentality, i'm no intolerant bigot and I have a healthy distrust for CAN by default.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by trimwis: 10:18am On Jul 19, 2011
Moral issues have no say here. This should not be turned into an 'us against them' issue. Wetin concern me if white man no dey board of Ebony, BET and FUBU? Grin. The core benefit is bringing islamic compliant banking to the 'unbanked', which is bound to be positive for our economy. I am not an economics genius and so i remain bitterly dissapointed in most of you NL commentators that leave any economic +ves and -ves and jump straight into bigoted and intolerant views about Islam.

Any lingering moral issues or doubts are what I expect the leadership of CAN or any other aggrieved body to thrash out in discussions with Sanusi instead of this cheap battle on Newspaper pages.

Great post, you have remove religion out of this issue. we need interest free banking forget the name, religion and who is behind it
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Reference(m): 10:33am On Jul 19, 2011
THE question I would like to ask is - how will a bank survive without charging interest - that is in a depressed economy. How do banks make money??. Can anyone please square this circle. Cut out the round tripping and COT which we all love to hate (and which cannot sustain banks anyway) how do they make money. If it involves profit sharing, Sanusi himself has stripped banks of all ancillary businesses - insurance, mortgage and the lot so this isn't a option. Where will the money come from to establish and sustain these institutions. Who invests in such businesses. He has to answer these questions. Sorry, non interest banking is not what normal business people practice and banking is a BUSINESS. If you are not out to make money then what are the MOTIVES. If it is a charity then its promoters must come out and guarantee that their INVESTMENTS are not meant to destabilize current institutions and promote an agenda that is currently hidden.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Xfactoria: 10:48am On Jul 19, 2011
Islamic Banking cannot stand the test of time in Nigeria and my opinion has nothing to do with religion. Here are the reasons:

1. Islamic Banking doesn't support charging of interests but sharing of profit. In that case, the customer has to post profit before the bank can get some compensation for the risk they would have taken on the customer's business. This will not work, knowing that a lot of Nigerian businessmen are rogues who would stop at nothing to cook their financials to show either lower profit compared to what they actually made or an outright loss! Even in conventional banking, a lot of Pakistani/Asian businessmen in Nigeria have defrauded Nigerian banks with cooked financials and these are supposed to be the people from whom we will learn Islamic Banking.

2. The day-to-day running costs of Banks and financial institutions is huge. How will the Islamic Banks recoup their cost if they have to wait for uncertain profits??

3. Islamic Banks cannot compete with conventional Banks in terms of deposit. Who will place his money as deposit in an islamic bank knowing that you are not likely to earn interest on it when there are non-Islamic Banks paying interests for deposit placements etc. If Islamic Banks will pay interest for deposits, from which income will they be paying from?

4. If Islamic Banks do not attract as much deposits as is required to do lending, where will they get money to lend to their customers?

I do not think Christians should bother protesting this banking practice, I am confident that it will fail in a corrupt and unstructured Nigeria.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by pinkrex(m): 11:24am On Jul 19, 2011
The 'Tittle' alone disgusts me, Why not 'Non Interest Bnk Nig Plc' or something else other than this Islamic ish, The motives are right but it does not in anyway conform with our national or religious unity with that kinda of segregral name.

Malos at work grin grin grin grin
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by sirjec(m): 11:40am On Jul 19, 2011
Whatever it is that is called islamic banking should go to hell. I do not believe in Islam, so why should I belive in Islamic banking. If as a Christian I use islamic bank then what are we saying? Look Muslims would not have allowed this. Why did the muslims protest during 2007 census that the religio shouldnot be included? Because they know the Christians are more than the muslims. Why do the muslim states not allow churches to be inside the gates? Now they want to enact such law here. England and Malaysia is not Nigeria. We are religious here and we are ready to fight for our religion. The law should ot establish anything islamic bank unless they are doing it for muslims alone. We Christians don't want to use a bank called Islamic bank. Is this Sanusi dumb? If he wants non interest banking, Must the name be Islamic Bank? I once said that even Christian religion recognises non interest form of banking, so why can't the name be something different in Nigeria even if it is called Islamic banking in other parts of the world? We should respect everybody's feelings and religion.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Ganys: 11:48am On Jul 19, 2011
Abeg,leave this Sanusi alone, The CAN should sit down and study how they can start there own Christian banking too, They shouldnt be jealous of Islam.What do they do with the Monthly 10% tithe they collect from their congregation, ? No be to buy Private Jet and luxury houses abroad, Who is Fooling who?   enough is enough JARE

@sirjec: Dont kill your self,Islamic Banking has come to stay, You better face the reality before its too late grin grin grin grin
@pinkrex, well,i know it wont disgust you if its Christlike banking,
@X-factoria, Only time will tell
@Reference, i think you should browse the internet and read the success stories in the middle east and Europe
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by texazzpete(m): 11:49am On Jul 19, 2011
sirjec:

Whatever it is that is called islamic banking should go to hell. I do not believe in Islam, so why should I belive in Islamic banking. If as a Christian I use islamic bank then what are we saying? Look Muslims would not have allowed this. Why did the muslims protest during 2007 census that the religio shouldnot be included? Because they know the Christians are more than the muslims. Why do the muslim states not allow churches to be inside the gates? Now they want to enact such law here. England and Malaysia is not Nigeria. We are religious here and we are ready to fight for our religion. The law should ot establish anything islamic bank unless they are doing it for muslims alone. We Christians don't want to use a bank called Islamic bank. Is this Sanusi dumb? If he wants non interest banking, Must the name be Islamic Bank? I once said that even Christian religion recognises non interest form of banking, so why can't the name be something different in Nigeria even if it is called Islamic banking in other parts of the world? We should respect everybody's feelings and religion.

I  missed the part where someone put a gun to your head and determined that you must use the Islamic bank or be cut into little pieces and killed.
I also missed the part where someone appointed you spokesman of all Christians in Nigeria.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Fulanee: 11:51am On Jul 19, 2011
Leviticus 25:35-37: "If one of your brethren becomes poor, and falls into poverty among you, then you shall help him, like a stranger or a sojourner, that he may live with you. Take no usury or interest from him; but fear your God, that your brother may live with you. You shall not lend him your money for usury, nor lend him your food for profit." I believe we share the same belief on interest then.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by logica(m): 11:53am On Jul 19, 2011
I was actually ambivalent on this Islamic Banking controversy but then somebody raised a very valid point I had missed - once it starts, all other banks north of the Niger will go into extinction as they will be sabotaged and bombed till they scamper and close shop. The banking system as we know it will likely collapse. You can expect the fanatics up north to throw their support behind the Islamic Banks to the detriment of regular banks.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by ibatosh84: 11:55am On Jul 19, 2011
islamic
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by manny4life(m): 12:49pm On Jul 19, 2011
Fulanee:

Leviticus 25:35-37: "If one of your brethren becomes poor, and falls into poverty among you, then you shall help him, like a stranger or a sojourner, that he may live with you. Take no usury or interest from him; but fear your God, that your brother may live with you. You shall not lend him your money for usury, nor lend him your food for profit." I believe we share the same belief on interest then.

That is the whole point; if Christianity supports the same cause just like every other religion does, the issue is not about different religions having different types of banking, it's the factions that will create in a financial environment which isn't healthy for a country like Nigeria that has so many other tribes and religion.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Myself2(m): 12:54pm On Jul 19, 2011
The other names for Sanusi:

Abdulclueless

Lamidocentric

Sanushiite

And his profession;

He is a bokoharanomist practicing bokobanking

Nairaland,I give una hand.You guys are the most imaginative
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Myself2(m): 12:56pm On Jul 19, 2011
Fulanee:

So why is the mad man Sanusi coining it islamic banking?
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by sirjec(m): 1:03pm On Jul 19, 2011
Why is this fulani sanusi saying economy economy when the real economy will be revived by resource control. He wants to come to the south and steal money and deposit it in the northern islamic bank. Thieves
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by trimwis: 2:02pm On Jul 19, 2011
Abeg,leave this Sanusi alone, The CAN should sit down and study how they can start there own Christian banking too, They shouldnt be jealous of Islam.What do they do with the Monthly 10% tithe they collect from their congregation, ? No be to buy Private Jet and luxury houses abroad, Who is Fooling who? enough is enough JARE

Nice post help me tell them. The moslem are coming together to help themselves why we christian are beefing around town!! lets pressurize our PFN, CAN,BISHOP AND PASTORS to do the same so we can have our own bank.

The 'Tittle' alone disgusts me, Why not 'Non Interest Bnk Nig Plc' or something else other than this Islamic ish, The motives are right but it does not in anyway conform with our national or religious unity with that kinda of segregral name.

your problem is just the word islamic banknking, guys wake and lets face fact we need interest free loan

SANUSI WE DID NOT ONLY NEED ISLAMIC BANKING WE ALSO NEED ISLAMIC ELECTRICITY grin grin grin
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by pinkrex(m): 3:03pm On Jul 19, 2011
trimwis:

Nice post help me tell them. The moslem are coming together to help themselves why we christian are beefing around town!! lets pressurize our PFN, CAN,BISHOP AND PASTORS to do the same so we can have our own bank.

your problem is just the word islamic banknking, guys wake and lets face fact we need interest free loan

SANUSI WE DID NOT ONLY NEED ISLAMIC BANKING WE ALSO NEED ISLAMIC ELECTRICITY grin grin grin

Bokoharam spy on Nairaland!!! grin grin grin Why dint he call it something else with a country like ours? Must it be Islamic Banking, The reasons are enormous and it must conform with out national unity. Let it be named after its pupose. 'Non interest Bank of Nig or something, Stop the religious ish and be subjective here.

I heard Bokobrutalanimals are deeply rooted everywhere but leme sound this as a warning to you. If you a spy because Seun cant be intimidated by you guyz and all nairalanders wont fall for your antics.

Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by chimaike: 3:22pm On Jul 19, 2011
Sanusi u appeared as a wizard in banking, but u messed up the love people have towards you as a result of your hash and unilaterial policy. Cant wait for your tenour to expire before u come up with another hash policy.
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by trimwis: 3:23pm On Jul 19, 2011
Bokoharam spy on Nairaland!!! Grin Grin Grin  Why dint he call it something else with a country like ours? Must it be Islamic Banking,  The reasons are enormous and it must conform with out national unity. Let it be named after its pupose. 'Non interest Bank of Nig or something,  Stop the religious ish and be subjective here.

I heard Bokobrutalanimals are deeply rooted everywhere but leme sound this as a warning to you. If you a spy because Seun cant be intimidated by you guyz and all nairalanders wont fall for your antics.

This is a proof of the statement of a philosopher ''WE HAVE TWO TYPE OF PEOPLE IN LIFE THOSE WITH RELIGION WITHOUT BRAIN AND THOSE WITHOUT RELIGION WITH BRAIN"

his major concern is the word ISLAMIC and not the benefit

Either you tag me bokoharam spy or not am not bothered all i know is we need free interest loan grin grin grin grin
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Xfactoria: 3:34pm On Jul 19, 2011
Guys, check this out vis-a-vis the launch of Islamic Banking by Sanusi. I leave you to draw the conclusions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuja_Declaration

[b]Abuja DeclarationFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
The Abuja Declarion is the outcome of a conference of the African countries of the OIC in 1989 and launched by a communiqué of the Islam in Africa Organisation (IAO) founded during this conference.

The Islam in Africa Organisation (IAO) is a Nigerian statuted Islamic organisation, an initiative of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC).

Dr. Usman Muhamad Bugaje is the current Secretary-General of the IAO.

Contents [hide]
1 Goals and strategies
2 Organisation
3 Countries
4 External links
5 Notes and references

[edit] Goals and strategiesThe organisation was founded on 28 November 1989 in Abuja [1], Nigeria, with the goal to win the whole of Africa for Islam. The statutes and goals[2][3] are ratified in 1991 and this marks her formal definitive founding. The founding-communiqué is also called the Abuja Declaration[4]. Startingpoint for the conference is the fact that Africa is the only continent with an islamic majority and therefore Africa should become completely Islamic[5].
The plan contains a lot of points that are also common for Christian missionary organisations as relief and economic progression.

A battleplan was composed to Islamise Africa with some less innocent points in that decision[6]:

"To ensure only Muslims are elected to all political posts of member nations".
"To eradicate in all its forms and ramifications all non-Muslim religions in member nations (such religions shall include Christianity, Ahmadiyya and other tribal modes of worship unacceptable to Muslim)." (the word Christianity is underlined in the declaration)
"To ensure the ultimate replacement of all western forms of legal and judicial systems with the sharia in all member nations before then next "Islam in Africa conference."
"To ensure the appointment of only Muslims into strategic national and international posts of member nations."
The execution of this strategy can be recognised in countries like Nigeria, Ethiopia and Sudan. In Nigeria more and more provinces choose for the Sharia leading to heavy protests of Christians, oft resulting in violence and bloodshed to both sides. In Sudan the government chose in 1983 for the Sharia, in 1991 sharpened with death punishment for apostasy from Islam.

Funds: The government of Nigeria has donated 21 billion US-dollar conform a IAO-communiqué [7] as donation to this "Islamic Development Fund".

[edit] OrganisationThe IAO consists of four main organisations[8]:

the General Shura', the highest authority consisting of 43 members from all over Africa and the Diaspora.
the Executive Comité.
the Secretariat housed at Abuja, (Nigeria).
the Necessary organs to the realisation of the goals.
[edit] CountriesThe organisation mentions the following countries on its website:

Algeria
Benin
Chad
Egypt
Ethiopia
Eritrea
Kenya
Liberia
Libya
Mali
Mauritania
Marokko
Niger
Nigeria
Sudan
Somalia
South Africa
Tunisia
Zambia
[/b]
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by peaceland(m): 3:52pm On Jul 19, 2011
hello all,
i work within the financial sector of the economy and i am a christian.
sentiments aside; the non - interest banking has some good points - charges would still be collected but its a good way of promoting small businesses if properly done.
however, running a nation is not only on the basis of economics.
as the cbn gov; he is doing his job by promoting what he thinks is best for the economy. i don't agree with him; i believe he is too confrontational and ought to be an adviser to the cbn gov and not the cbn gov himself.
however, i still maintain he is doing his job; me thinks the job of deciding whether this country needs this now at this time is for the executives. surprisingly; for a policy that could split this nation; the govt seems to be silent - which i think signifies ignorance or pure fear.
Nigeria as we are - if we are to be sincere with ourself - cannot implement non interest banking now. we are too divided along religious lines. the countries where this is being practised are either core Islamic states or developed states that the fear of religious war is not as high as Nigeria. when these Islamic banks open; i fear a lot of Muslims would suddenly feel its a sin to bank with the conventional ones in place now; either for fear of boko haram or being labelled infidels. when zamfara started sharia law years ago; many other states rushed to join, not because they support sharia really - 100% but because the leaders realised that this is the best way to win the heart of their people. this country still has a lot of way to go. there are so many policies and programs this cbn gov is bringing. some quite good; but are the structures in place. i don't think so and the executives who could have called him and silently asked him to take it easy are busy doing what??. it shall be well with us in this country. nice day
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by sley4life(m): 3:59pm On Jul 19, 2011
sanusi is biting more than he can chew
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Nyntynplus: 4:23pm On Jul 19, 2011
Take it or leave it ISLAMIC BANKING must exist, if vex go kiss live 1000kva transfomer,
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by MyTake: 4:52pm On Jul 19, 2011
I think the word 'Islamic" just puts a lot of people off so they fail to see the other side of the argument. This is basically interest-free banking. The CBN act provides for it so I wonder why even learned people are throwing stones at Sanusi (I agree though that Sanusi is a very sturborn guy- he shoudl simply stop reffering to it as islamic)

Non interest banking is for everyone, especially the low income bracket- I'm fully and proudly Christian but I wouldnt hesitate to take advantage of it when it comes- another thing is its fully OPTIONAL. So u can still choose to use our 'darling' cmmercial banks who give loans at over 50% interest (you heard me right- OVER 50%. unfortunately most of us dont see the hidden charges)

Commercial banking in Nigeria has FAILED. Period! banks are meant to grow the economy but our banks just create large livestyles for a few indivuduals at the expense of the rest- how else do a explain banks carrying toxic assets in $Billions while even SMEs cant get financing??
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by texazzpete(m): 5:26pm On Jul 19, 2011
See these attached files? HSBC has no qualms in using the terms 'Islamic Banking' and 'Shariah compliant' to describe their islamic banking services.

So apparently Nigeria is a more secular nation than the UK.

Another point often raised is that Nigeria is too deeply divided along religious lines. Well, the UK had the underground bombings by Al Qaeda, no less, with many Al Qaeda affiliated cells in hiding around the country. Yet Islamic banking goes on as planned.

HSBC is not a country, they are a purely profit driven enterprise. If Islamic banking was not a success for them, would they still be running with it?

Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by trimwis: 6:22pm On Jul 19, 2011
hello all,
i work within the financial sector of the economy and i am a christian.
sentiments aside; the non - interest banking has some good points - charges would still be collected but its a good way of promoting small businesses if properly done.
however, running a nation is not only on the basis of economics.
as the cbn gov; he is doing his job by promoting what he thinks is best for the economy. i don't agree with him; i believe he is too confrontational and ought to be an adviser to the cbn gov and not the cbn gov himself.
however, i still maintain he is doing his job; me thinks the job of deciding whether this country needs this now at this time is for the executives. surprisingly; for a policy that could split this nation; the govt seems to be silent - which i think signifies ignorance or pure fear.
Nigeria as we are - if we are to be sincere with ourself - cannot implement non interest banking now. we are too divided along religious lines. the countries where this is being practised are either core Islamic states or developed states that the fear of religious war is not as high as Nigeria. when these Islamic banks open; i fear a lot of Muslims would suddenly feel its a sin to bank with the conventional ones in place now; either for fear of boko haram or being labelled infidels. when zamfara started sharia law years ago; many other states rushed to join, not because they support sharia really - 100% but because the leaders realised that this is the best way to win the heart of their people. this country still has a lot of way to go. there are so many policies and programs this cbn gov is bringing. some quite good; but are the structures in place. i don't think so and the executives who could have called him and silently asked him to take it easy are busy doing what??. it shall be well with us in this country. nice day

Good analysis from a sound mind, looking at objectively

You are an incoherent lunatic, Who jumbles his words in a desperate attempt to seem intelligent. If you weren't such a simpleton You would know that both your spellings and my spellings where correct! Ever heard about American and British spellings? As for none-interest and non-interest tell me you haven't made a typographical error b4 and then, I would know you are not an imbecilic slowpoke or probably a human with the brain of a zygote s.perm cell ! I cant believe people as dumb as you still exist.

Mr grammar take am easy!! if you think you know too much go and book like wole soyinka make we see. when dumbs want to make themselves relevant DEN GO DEY BLOW BIG GRAMMAR grin grin grin grin grin

I think the word 'Islamic" just puts a lot of people off so they fail to see the other side of the argument. This is basically interest-free banking. The CBN act provides for it so I wonder why even learned people are throwing stones at Sanusi (I agree though that Sanusi is a very sturborn guy- he shoudl simply stop reffering to it as islamic)

Non interest banking is for everyone, especially the low income bracket- I'm fully and proudly Christian but I wouldnt hesitate to take advantage of it when it comes- another thing is its fully OPTIONAL. So u can still choose to use our 'darling' cmmercial banks who give loans at over 50% interest (you heard me right- OVER 50%. unfortunately most of us dont see the hidden charges)

Commercial banking in Nigeria has FAILED. Period! banks are meant to grow the economy but our banks just create large livestyles for a few indivuduals at the expense of the rest- how else do a explain banks carrying toxic assets in $Billions while even SMEs cant get financing?HuhHuhHuhHuh?

gbam!!! you have said i all. Analysis of a sound mind shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by MyTake: 6:44pm On Jul 19, 2011
texazzpete:

See these attached files? HSBC has no qualms in using the terms 'Islamic Banking' and 'Shariah compliant' to describe their islamic banking services.

So apparently Nigeria is a more secular nation than the UK.

Another point often raised is that Nigeria is too deeply divided along religious lines. Well, the UK had the underground bombings by Al Qaeda, no less, with many Al Qaeda affiliated cells in hiding around the country. Yet Islamic banking goes on as planned.

HSBC is not a country, they are a purely profit driven enterprise. If Islamic banking was not a success for them, would they still be running with it?

Nice one, note however that HSBC is a chinese bank and Nigeria and China are two very different nations especially when in comes to Religious tolerance. I dont think muslims make up a significant percentage of the Chinese population (I may be wrong) but here in Nigeria its almost 50-50 so defiinely we need to be more cautious
Re: Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 19, 2011
This leader is a joke! My Lord what's the cause of the global meltdown? I don't think he even knows the cause yet prescribing Islamic Banking as a solution. This is just an avenue to bring into the system Islamic ideology.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Access Bank Hosts NGOs and Policy Makers / Bill Gates Loan To Nigeria Forex Traders? / Make 1 Million Naira Starting From 1k This November: Project 1k To 1m In 1 Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.