Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective (8900 Views)

#5 Reasons Why You Should Use E-banking In Nigeria / How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? / Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by jamalah: 3:26pm On Jun 27, 2011
i just listened to the purported interview conducted of sanusi lamido sanusi by the bbc

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/hausa/multimedia/2011/06/110624_sanusi_video.shtml ) and to be frank he never made mention of a so-called Ibo man investing in the Jaiz bank. But perhaps this was a shorter video clip obviously conducted at the London studios and posted on the Hausa service's website. The radio clip might be longer and may have contained the statement.
But if that was true that he concealed the religion of the Ibo business man in concern, and if really it is true that he meant alhaji Abdulazeez Ude, then it not only shows the shallowness of Sanusi but reflects the mind-set of most Hausa Fulani. the suspicion of other non-hausa fulani muslims as not being 'islamic' enough that and their only genuine identity being their tribe not religion. I could remember when I was attending Rumfa College in the eighties an Ibo member of our class called mohammed usman. But we rarely ever called him his name but the nickname 'inyamirin musulmi'. (Ibo Muslim) he resisted but after sometime he just has to accept it. we couldn't just wrap our heads around the fact that an Ibo person will profess Islam. As an aside this is the reason why when so called religious riots break out in the north, Muslims of non Hausa origin are also attacked if not even more brutally. during the reprisal attacks in kano against pple of Yoruba origin in July 1999 some of them were killed in mosques in the kurna area. one of the victim was even a muezzin and according to reports he was hacked while calling for prayers.

be that as it may, he made a startling and quite disturbing assertion in the short clip that further exposed his mindset. he said and i quote :" it is usual in Nigeria that if an outcry is made over an issue one may be forced to back down. but you know i am not thet type of person". what will come to ones mind is that he has no regard for a large segment of the Nigerian populace that has a reservation toward his actions. As far as he is concerned they are inconsequential. This is a continuation of the mindset of hausa fulani pple that what they want is the only thing that matters in Nigeria.

several things come to mind with all the drama-plagued career of sanusi at the cbn.

sanusi is still a staunch hausa-fulani islamist. moulded in the supremasist beliefs that they are better than any other race in nigeria. i used to be an islamist too almost at the same time that sanusi was an active member, so i am familiar with their way of thinking thoroughly. One may wonder how such a staunch fundamentalist ended up in the 'forbidden' interest-taking banking sector which medieval clerics believe is even worse that indulging in other vices like the consumption or sales of alcohol. the persuasive excuse normally in such a case is 'if we muslims shun the interest-taking banking sector then the whole financial power will be in the hands of infidels'.but even then the guilt still lurk in the mind of most hausa muslims that what they are doing will make them end up in hell fire. i suffered the same fate. when i finished secondary school i got admission to study law at the Bayero University in kano even before the waec came out. awaiting result as it was called then. i had a bright prospect as a lawyer which i scuttled due to belief that i will be studying un islamic laws. i was steeped in islamic activism then and indoctrinated against anything modern or western. we used to call the constitution then derisively 'kwanche-tushe'. which means unravelling of origin (religious). how i wished i had someone to give me a persuasive excuse then and go to the university. any way i redeemed my losses later in life and career but i would have done so earlier even before leaving the shore of nigeria. so with such a mind set, one will see that sanusi is unfit to occupy such a sensitive post. but then this is nigeria, where one can rule even the whole nation with the aim of protecting only a certain segment of the population.

so one way or the other, one will see that this staunch determination to ram islamic banking down our throats could in one way or the other be an attempt to rid himself of the guilt and fear of damnation and at the same time gain some cheap popularity among the hausa fulani populace.

one very interesting aside to the whole saga was when i looked at the jaiz bank directors board an interesting insight came to my mind. abdulmutallab, the father of the underwear bomber became more interesting and further buttresses this assertion of mine. during the xmas bombing issue, a cousin of mine who was very close to members of the family told me that what prmopted his father to alert the authorities was when during his last confrontation with his dad the son had told him that he was breaking all ties with him because he made his money through the unlawful interest-based banking system. he now gave his father a condition for purifying his dirty wealth : help alqaeda. when the father prodded him further he disclosed his contacts with the terrorist orgnization and that was when he realized that his son had reached the point of no return and he had to report him to save his skin. is this a way of 'sanitizing' his wealth?

Another interesting person is Adegbite, who incidentally is occupying the position that Abiola used to in the supreme council of Islamic affairs. is he really a committed investor in the venture or just a dispensable appendage as Abiola was thrown to the dogs when the chips were down.

I am a muslim born and bread in the heart of the ancient Kano city. but i beleive that we muslims especially the north west must come to the realisation that Nigeria is a secular state and actions that threaten that secularity in any shape or form is inimical to the corporate existence of the country. and the more we engage in these kind of insensitive ventures the closer the country moves towards what we dread most: sovereign national conference. and that will really hurt us. moreover i believe that any thing that is not demand-driven will not stand the test of time. when yarima forcefully launched sharia in zamfara state and other northern states followed suit obasanjo said it will die a natural death and it did. the main reason for that was that it was smuggled through the backdoor. none of those governors that launched the sharia included it in their campaign promises. any way, pple are wiser as they have all being completely demystified.
the same goes with sanusi. he never mentioned all these at the senate screening of his candidacy. moreover the jaiz bank idea had been around since the time of abacha and i know of a lot pple (including my mother) still carrying their share certificate since its first ipo for years. for the fact that it could not take off since then says a lot about about the whole idea in the first plac. and of course the personalities involved in the venture. anyway, i personally will not put my money in anything that alhaji Aminu Dantata is involved in. but that is a topic for we 'origina'l, kano city pple that know him very well.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by bashdecash(m): 3:51pm On Jun 27, 2011
Jamalah, Jamalah, u are here again ko? Allah mai iko, i have nothing to say to u fellow than to say may the Almighty Allah guide u to the right path.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Akanbiedu(m): 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2011
He he

This poster is definitely on a mission.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 27, 2011
can't wait for this guys posts he is d original koko, obviously a liberated Muslim , being a Muslim is not wrong, Infact I think it is exhilarating, but the type of Islam practiced by Nigerians, is something far from God.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by ZnO: 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2011
Message for southern muslims:
To the northern muslims, you are all infidels. That is why you can never be head of islam in Nigeria
Yet, you dey fall mugu for their antics
I was in Kano in 2001 when I visited a friend serving there
Suddenly riot broke out
Yoruba muslims, Yoruba christians, Igbos and other southern and northern christians were killed
They say you live peaceably with christians in your midst, hence you are not good muslims
They say you southern muslims drink beer and patronize asha-wos, like christians do, so you are for those reasons, not true muslims.
But please take a trip to a place called Trailer Park along the Port Harcourt-Onne Highway in River State. They come from the North to load fertilizers from NAFCON and petroleum products from the nearby NNPC. But you will see these northern muslims in hundreds who empty beer bottle in their washing kettles used for ablution and drink from it, in deceit of the unwary. You will find them sleeping with asha-wos on the back of their trailers at night.
Ask them, they will tell you this is southern nigeria, sharia will not catch them here. They then go back north and pretend all is well and continue with their holier-than-thou attitude.
Did Abacha not die atop Indian asha-wos, as we hear? Yet, to a northern muslim, Abacha is more important than even the holiest of southern muslims.

I pity all these southern muslims who do not want to see beyond their noses.
Sharia bank? Hm!! They go throw bomb inside the banking hall. Guess who the most bankers in Nigeria and thus the potential victims would be
They go use your savings buy bomb wey dey go use kill you.
The emphasis on islamic banking is a red flag that should not be ignored
We have had Habib Bank etc; no one cared, because the name does not suggest anything of security interest
From the grapevine, one of the conditions given by the Mullahs in the Middle East to pump in cash is that the name must be ISLAMIC BANK to stamp in the IOC angle to it.

Even the deceit by Sanusi in mentioning that an Igbo man is a shareholder of his sharia bank is lost on so many.
Ask him why he specifically singled out that Igbo man, among 10-15 other shareholders.

Hold your ears and listen. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by LagosShia: 2:45am On Jun 28, 2011
i must question the motive of the moderators on nairaland.is nairaland becoming the mouth-piece of CAN?or maybe those "christian leaders" dramatizing the so called "islamic bank"?

how many threads are going to make headline on the preview board?isn't becoming propaganda on nairaland?

too many threads have already being created all about this "islamic bank".if i got billions and i want to open a non-interest bank aka islamic bank,why would the government or the central bank stop me?not even the president got that power in Nigeria to do that.is nigeria not said to be a free country where different practices are tolerated?

almost 5 threads have already being made on this topic.you can use google for it:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADFA_enNG415NG415&q=nairaland+islamic+bank

i can even see someone repeating his post in more than 1 thread to spread his message to southern muslims.what a cheap attempt.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by LagosShia: 2:50am On Jun 28, 2011
as for the message of the OP and the too many irrelevant stories from her personal life,i must say that if not for the ignorance on religion and the constitution of the so called christian leaders,someone opening an interest-free bank aka islamic bank is not an issue.afterall,there is no boko haram member on the list of directors.it takes educated and enlightened men to head banks.i dont see how illitracy of northerners who abuse the image of islam by killing innocent people relates to establishing a legitimate institution by muslim elites.

the noise created by the so called christian leaders is an insult to nigerian muslims.it is an insult because it is a clear message that muslims cannot practice their religion or do business in accrodance to their beliefs in their own country.it is a message that muslims are not free to do what they like in acordance with nigerian law in their country.these fools should apologise for their ignorant and irresponsible statements.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by ZnO: 2:52am On Jun 28, 2011
LagosShia:

i must question the motive of the moderators on nairaland.is nairaland becoming the mouth-piece of CAN?or maybe those "christian leaders" dramatizing the so called "islamic bank"?

how many threads are going to make headline on the preview board?isn't becoming propaganda on nairaland?

too many threads have already being created all about this "islamic bank".if i got billions and i want to open a non-interest bank aka islamic bank,why would the government or the central bank stop me?not even the president got that power in Nigeria to do that.is nigeria not said to be a free country where different practices are tolerated?

almost 5 threads have already being made on this topic.you can use google for it:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADFA_enNG415NG415&q=nairaland+islamic+bank

i can even see someone repeating his post in more than 1 thread to spread his message to southern muslims.what a cheap attempt.

Free world, free speech, dude
You propagate your islamic Banking
I propagate my anti-islamic Banking
Where do you live in? In a 15th century cave?
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by LagosShia: 2:57am On Jun 28, 2011
ZnO:

Free world, free speech, dude
You propagate your islamic Banking
I propagate my anti-islamic Banking
Where do you live in? In a 15th century cave?

what is "anti-islamic banking"?

do you mean interest-banks?or do you mean campaigning to stop those who want to open an islamic bank by calling your move "anti-islamic-banking"?

if it is the latter you got no right to do that because it infringes on the personal freedom of the men who want to use their money to establish the business they like.you can bark and scream till "thy kingdom come" but that will go no where because it makes no sense at all.you and the likes of the so called christian leaders are so irresponsible that you're exaggerating on this issue to create further tension and division in Nigeria.shame on you all.

when has sanusi or any muslim come out to say interest banks must stop collecting or giving interest?has he imposed islamic banking on them?no!so why dont you respect the choice of others too?or is it just an attempt to prevent muslims from seeing the light and practicing their own religion?

you and your so called christian leaders are the ones living in the stone-age whereby you cannot even comprehend simple concepts.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by ZnO: 3:11am On Jun 28, 2011
LagosShia:

what is "anti-islamic banking"?

do you mean interest-banks?or do you mean campaigning to stop those who want to open an islamic bank by calling your move "anti-islamic-banking"?

if it is the latter you got no right to do that because it infringes on the personal freedom of the men who want to use their money to establish the business they like.you can bark and scream till "thy kingdom come" but that will go no where because it makes no sense at all.you and the likes of the so called christian leaders are so irresponsible that you're exaggerating on this issue to create further tension and division in Nigeria.shame on you all.

when has sanusi or any muslim come out to say interest banks must stop collecting or giving interest?has he imposed islamic banking on them?no!so why dont you respect the choice of others too?or is it just an attempt to prevent muslims from seeing the light and practicing their own religion?

you and your so called christian leaders are the ones living in the stone-age whereby you cannot even comprehend simple concepts.

I have comprehended many simple concepts in my life. This one I will not buy, Sorry.
Take your Boko Haram to your village. Nigeria is not your village
You want islamic banking? Good for you
I, ZnO, I do not want islamic banking. So I campaign against it. My prerogative.
It does not end here in NL,
We are writing articles on daily basis in National Newspapers, getting people educated.
Nigeria is not a sharia country. Those who love sharia can create their own country.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by LagosShia: 3:45am On Jun 28, 2011
ZnO:

I have comprehended many simple concepts in my life. This one I will not buy, Sorry.
Take your Boko Haram to your village. Nigeria is not your village
You want islamic banking? Good for you
I, ZnO, I do not want islamic banking. So I campaign against it. My prerogative.
It does not end here in NL,
We are writing articles on daily basis in National Newspapers, getting people educated.
Nigeria is not a sharia country. Those who love sharia can create their own country.

i can also tell you that nigeria is not a christian country.your words are very funny.because i am a muslim and i do not eat pork or drink alcohol does not give me the right to start campaigning against those who sell or eat alcohol and pork.if i do not want alcohol and pork,i am free not to eat or sell them.if you do not want "islamic banking" or non-interest bank,then you're free not to deal or bank with it.but you can do nothing to stop me from having it.and by the way i am not a northerner.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by koruji(m): 3:49am On Jun 28, 2011
LagosShia:

Let me re-phrase your question, perhaps you will see its emptiness:

"when has sanusi (Boko Haram) or any muslim come out to say interest banks (conventional schools) must stop collecting or giving interest (receiving kids of willing parents)? has he (Boko Haram) attempted to imposed islamic banking education on them? no! (yes!) so why dont you respect the choice of others too (open your eyes to the danger of a religiously based banking system) ? [s]or is it just an attempt to prevent muslims from seeing the light and practicing their own religion?[/s] (conventional banking haram will turn to bombs when they find that your Islamic Banking system will be no more than a cottage industry blaming the existence of conventional banks for its failure)
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Tcrack(m): 3:50am On Jun 28, 2011
@ lagoshia
are you retarded? isnt this the worst time anyone should be bringing up such a sensitive issue as islamic banking considering the state of things right now.islamist are busy bombing the whole country and yet you are talking about having another islamist financial institution.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by koruji(m): 3:54am On Jun 28, 2011
I am sure you have heard about Apples and Oranges - in your case that would be Apples and Stones. We are talking about collective action to organize our common space you are talking about your personal pork eating or not eating. Even in this case your brethens, under their brainwashed insistence on Sharia continue to attack brewries.

Boko Haram just bombed a beer parlour a couple of days ago. We are still grappling with such unreasonable extremism, then the so-called CBN governor starts behaving like the Emir of CBN and imposing Sharia-Compliance on the Nigerian banking system. Don't you see the connection just yet?

LagosShia:

i can also tell you that nigeria is not a christian country.your words are very funny.because i am a muslim and i do not eat pork or drink alcohol does not give me the right to start campaigning against those who sell or eat alcohol and pork.if i do not want alcohol and pork,i am free not to eat or sell them.if you do not want "islamic banking" or non-interest bank,then you're free not to deal or bank with it.but you can do nothing to stop me from having it.and by the way i am not a northerner.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by LagosShia: 4:08am On Jun 28, 2011
koruji:

I am sure you have heard about Apples and Oranges - in your case that would be Apples and Stones. We are talking about collective action to organize our common space you are talking about your personal pork eating or not eating. Even in this case your brethens, under their brainwashed insistence on Sharia continue to attack brewries.

Boko Haram just bombed a beer parlour a couple of days ago. We are still grappling with such unreasonable extremism, then the so-called CBN governor starts behaving like the Emir of CBN and imposing Sharia-Compliance on the Nigerian banking system. Don't you see the connection just yet?

why are you acting dumb? you're the one comparing apples to oranges and making it look that someone is forcing another or imposing something.if a group of rich muslim businessmen come out to use their money to establish an islamic bank,CBN cannot refuse them a license just as the government cannot stop Nigerian Breweries from producing beer.we are not talking about what boko haram thinks or what your zealot christian leaders say.we are talking about what is official and what the government does and what the CBN does.do you get that?it does not mean it is the governor of the CBN that is "imposing" it or establishing it.sanusi or anyone cannot deny them a license.get your facts straight.

i blame sanusi for coming out to take the time to explain a simple issue to nigerians.he should not have done that because his work is simply to regulate the banking sector and not to enter into such issues.he simply did his work by issuing a license.that license cannot be denied to that bank because it is interest-free or a so called "islamic bank".even ECO bank in one of their branches in west africa claims to be "sharia compliant" in a bill board to attract muslim faithfuls and make more gain.

Tcrack:

@ lagoshia
are you slow? isnt this the worst time anyone should be bringing up such a sensitive issue as islamic banking considering the state of things right now.islamist are busy bombing the whole country and yet you are talking about having another islamist financial institution.

so why not ask the government to ban the building of mosques?what does having an interest free financial institution got to do with bombing or violence?if the muslim businessmen are rich enough to establish a bank then why do you think your nonsense can stop them?
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by koruji(m): 4:36am On Jun 28, 2011
Obviously you are coming in from the rain and actually have no idea what this whole issue is about. Yet you started making statements as soon as you heard "Islamic Bank". For your information the Emir of CBN is being too clever by half by bringing up JAIZ bank. As someone has rightly pointed out this JAIZ bank has actually had a licence for non-interest banking for ages, and never took off.

Please go and read the new CBN rules that Sanusi and his cohorts published and read all the religious edicts it contained including Sharia-Compliance, Sharia Advisory Council, etc. Read more about the actual issues instead of jumping into conversations.

I know you cannot see the connection between what Boko Haram is doing now and what "Conventional Banking Haram" will be doing 10, 20 years from now when your sorry a.s.s.e.s have moved on, and innocent folks are being blown out of banking halls because of Emir Sanusi's unnecessary rigidity. Are you denying that Boko Haram is bombing beer parlours or brewries are being attacked in the name of Sharia?

If you must know I am not against non-interest banking, call it Islamic Banking if you want, but the extension to imposing Sharia-Compliance and religious edicts is the source of argument because it is potentially flammable!

Enough said.
LagosShia:

why are you acting dumb? you're the one comparing apples to oranges and making it look that someone is forcing another or imposing something.if a group of rich muslim businessmen come out to use their money to establish an islamic bank,CBN cannot refuse them a license just as the government cannot stop Nigerian Breweries from producing beer.we are not talking about what boko haram thinks or what your zealot christian leaders say.we are talking about what is official and what the government does and what the CBN does.do you get that?it does not mean it is the governor of the CBN that is "imposing" it or establishing it.sanusi or anyone cannot deny them a license.get your facts straight.

i blame sanusi for coming out to take the time to explain a simple issue to nigerians.he should not have done that because his work is simply to regulate the banking sector and not to enter into such issues.he simply did his work by issuing a license.that license cannot be denied to that bank because it is interest-free or a so called "islamic bank".even ECO bank in one of their branches in west africa claims to be "sharia compliant" in a bill board to attract muslim faithfuls and make more gain.

so why not ask the government to ban the building of mosques?what does having an interest free financial institution got to do with bombing or violence?if the muslim businessmen are rich enough to establish a bank then why do you think your nonsense can stop them?
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Tcrack(m): 5:07am On Jun 28, 2011
@lagosshia
if all they were interested in doing was starting an 'interest free bank' why must they put the word ISLAMIC before it.incase you have not noticed the word islam is now synonymous to violence (in the north). one more thing, if you think all it takes to own a bank is simply being rich, i suggest you go get educated.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by ziccoit: 6:59am On Jun 28, 2011
The writer of this topic is certainly deranged and knows nothing about the religion he professes. How on earth can a Muslim hate a system that the Creator has mentioned to be the only solution to the myriad of economical problems facing us?
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by lafuria1(m): 7:03am On Jun 28, 2011
who is putin islam b4 bank other than d christian who want 2 create an idea of islamization of nigeria. If d name non intrest bank was used, it wont create d needed effect.
Hw is sanusi imposin d bank system of nigeria wen u both hv systems optional.
The fear of christian leaders is 4 islamic banks 2 be stronger dan odas since pple wud prefer. an intrest free loan. Nigeria is a secular state as uk and u.s but hv islamic bankin system 2 carter 4 d muslim beliefs.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Lagosboy: 7:53am On Jun 28, 2011
jamalah:

i just listened to the purported interview conducted of sanusi lamido sanusi by the bbc

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/hausa/multimedia/2011/06/110624_sanusi_video.shtml ) and to be frank he never made mention of a so-called Ibo man investing in the Jaiz bank. But perhaps this was a shorter video clip obviously conducted at the London studios and posted on the Hausa service's website. The radio clip might be longer and may have contained the statement.
But if that was true that he concealed the religion of the Ibo business man in concern, and if really it is true that he meant alhaji Abdulazeez Ude, then it not only shows the shallowness of Sanusi but reflects the mind-set of most Hausa Fulani. the suspicion of other non-hausa fulani muslims as not being 'islamic' enough that and their only genuine identity being their tribe not religion. I could remember when I was attending Rumfa College in the eighties an Ibo member of our class called mohammed usman. But we rarely ever called him his name but the nickname 'inyamirin musulmi'. (Ibo Muslim) he resisted but after sometime he just has to accept it. we couldn't just wrap our heads around the fact that an Ibo person will profess Islam. As an aside this is the reason why when so called religious riots break out in the north, Muslims of non Hausa origin are also attacked if not even more brutally. during the reprisal attacks in kano against pple of Yoruba origin in July 1999 some of them were killed in mosques in the kurna area. one of the victim was even a muezzin and according to reports he was hacked while calling for prayers.

be that as it may, he made a startling and quite disturbing assertion in the short clip that further exposed his mindset. he said and i quote :" it is usual in Nigeria that if an outcry is made over an issue one may be forced to back down. but you know i am not thet type of person". what will come to ones mind is that he has no regard for a large segment of the Nigerian populace that has a reservation toward his actions. As far as he is concerned they are inconsequential. This is a continuation of the mindset of hausa fulani pple that what they want is the only thing that matters in Nigeria.

several things come to mind with all the drama-plagued career of sanusi at the cbn.

sanusi is still a staunch hausa-fulani islamist. moulded in the supremasist beliefs that they are better than any other race in nigeria. i used to be an islamist too almost at the same time that sanusi was an active member, so i am familiar with their way of thinking thoroughly. One may wonder how such a staunch fundamentalist ended up in the 'forbidden' interest-taking banking sector which medieval clerics believe is even worse that indulging in other vices like the consumption or sales of alcohol. the persuasive excuse normally in such a case is 'if we muslims shun the interest-taking banking sector then the whole financial power will be in the hands of infidels'.but even then the guilt still lurk in the mind of most hausa muslims that what they are doing will make them end up in hell fire. i suffered the same fate. when i finished secondary school i got admission to study law at the Bayero University in kano even before the waec came out. awaiting result as it was called then. i had a bright prospect as a lawyer which i scuttled due to belief that i will be studying un islamic laws. i was steeped in islamic activism then and indoctrinated against anything modern or western. we used to call the constitution then derisively 'kwanche-tushe'. which means unravelling of origin (religious). how i wished i had someone to give me a persuasive excuse then and go to the university. any way i redeemed my losses later in life and career but i would have done so earlier even before leaving the shore of nigeria. so with such a mind set, one will see that sanusi is unfit to occupy such a sensitive post. but then this is nigeria, where one can rule even the whole nation with the aim of protecting only a certain segment of the population.

so one way or the other, one will see that this staunch determination to ram islamic banking down our throats could in one way or the other be an attempt to rid himself of the guilt and fear of damnation and at the same time gain some cheap popularity among the hausa fulani populace.

one very interesting aside to the whole saga was when i looked at the jaiz bank directors board an interesting insight came to my mind. abdulmutallab, the father of the underwear bomber became more interesting and further buttresses this assertion of mine. during the xmas bombing issue, a cousin of mine who was very close to members of the family told me that what prmopted his father to alert the authorities was when during his last confrontation with his dad the son had told him that he was breaking all ties with him because he made his money through the unlawful interest-based banking system. he now gave his father a condition for purifying his dirty wealth : help alqaeda. when the father prodded him further he disclosed his contacts with the terrorist orgnization and that was when he realized that his son had reached the point of no return and he had to report him to save his skin. is this a way of 'sanitizing' his wealth?

Another interesting person is Adegbite, who incidentally is occupying the position that Abiola used to in the supreme council of Islamic affairs. is he really a committed investor in the venture or just a dispensable appendage as Abiola was thrown to the dogs when the chips were down.

I am a muslim born and bread in the heart of the ancient Kano city. but i beleive that we muslims especially the north west must come to the realisation that Nigeria is a secular state and actions that threaten that secularity in any shape or form is inimical to the corporate existence of the country. and the more we engage in these kind of insensitive ventures the closer the country moves towards what we dread most: sovereign national conference. and that will really hurt us. moreover i believe that any thing that is not demand-driven will not stand the test of time. when yarima forcefully launched sharia in zamfara state and other northern states followed suit obasanjo said it will die a natural death and it did. the main reason for that was that it was smuggled through the backdoor. none of those governors that launched the sharia included it in their campaign promises. any way, pple are wiser as they have all being completely demystified.
the same goes with sanusi. he never mentioned all these at the senate screening of his candidacy. moreover the jaiz bank idea had been around since the time of abacha and i know of a lot pple (including my mother) still carrying their share certificate since its first ipo for years. for the fact that it could not take off since then says a lot about about the whole idea in the first plac. and of course the personalities involved in the venture. anyway, i personally will not put my money in anything that alhaji Aminu Dantata is involved in. but that is a topic for we 'origina'l, kano city pple that know him very well.

Gentleman, I am now begining to think you are on a mission and Baldercash knows something we do not know which was the reason he was probing you on your earlier threads.

Your post has no purpose except to malign and cast aspersion on SLS for no justified reason. A man who is the only Nigerian to grace the last top 100 most influential persons in the world, a man who is probably the only Nigerian to address a US senate committee, A man who is praised home and abroad as being the only CBN governor to have prosecuted rogue bankers, a man who was awarded with the worlds best CBN governor, a man who has written hundreds of papers and whose intellectual depth you can only dream off.

Why do you bring tribalism where it does not exist , SLS is known for being a very detribalised Nigerian who has repeatedly said he does not care about the tribe or religion of political office holders but what hje cares about is their competence in their area of assignment.

You go on further to try to castigate Alhaji Abdul Muttalab because of what his son did, but you have forgotten that Jaiz bank had being in the pipleine as far back as 2004/2005, you could check it out if you so wish. Umar farouq went on his mission in 2009. Having said that , is it also a crime even if his father chose to sanitise his wealth by going into a non interest banking ? How does an islamic bank affect the segement of the population that dont like it? We always have a choice in life and investing or dealing with the bank is by choice and no one is forced to deal with the banks. Have you wondered why over 80 million nigerian muslims are restricted to deal with interests as against their wish ?

I live in the west and travel all around europe of which there is an islamic bank in UK, France , Germany all with a very low percentage of muslims. Why is it in Nigeria we attach sentiments to every issue. JAMALA you definitely have an agenda of which its intent is a mystery. ISLamic banking has nothing to do with Hasua Fulani and you need not bring controversies where it does not exist.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Akanbiedu(m): 8:12am On Jun 28, 2011
Jamalah,

are you STILL a muslim? I don't believe this poster is still a muslim. More like a convert.

So many things are wrong with the way northern Muslims behave, they practice double standards as ZNO noted. They use religion (Islam) or tribe whichever is convenient to further a purpose. I don't agree with many things they do but on this banking thing, I am with Sanusi.

I don't know why the christians are making so much noise. Imagine what would have happened if countries like UK had not implemented this type of banking.

You have regular banks, if you don't want to bank with Islamic banking, stay clear. Its as simple as that.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by freepeople: 8:44am On Jun 28, 2011
@Poster Jamalah, I commend you for this well thought out article. I'm equally impressed that it is coming from a Muslim. This is the most articulate thread that I've read on the topic of Islamic banking in Nigeria. The previous thread on this topic was so muddled and prejudiced in its presentation. My insight into this topic has widened now. When Sanusi was appointed by the late Yar Adua as the governor of CBN; Many Christian leaders accused him of harbouring an Islamic agenda. I hope his actions will not convince we middle-of-the-road Christians that he truly harbours an Islamic agenda for the apex bank. Any issue that borders on religion is a very touchy issue in every country of the world. Sanusi is playing with fire. We will see how this unfolds. If his agenda is to fight prevailing poverty among the Muslims; I bet he will succeed. But if his agenda is bent on islamization of Nigeria; I guarantee him that this is a dead-on-arrival project.@Poster Jamalah, I commend you for this well thought out article. I'm equally impressed that it is coming from a Muslim. This is the most articulate thread that I've read on the topic of Islamic banking in Nigeria. The previous thread on this topic was so muddled and prejudiced in its presentation. My insight into this topic has widened now. When Sanusi was appointed by the late Yar Adua as the governor of CBN; Many Christian leaders accused him of harbouring an Islamic agenda. I hope his actions will not convince we middle-of-the-road Christians that he truly harbours an Islamic agenda for the apex bank. Any issue that borders on religion is a very touchy issue in every country of the world. Sanusi is playing with fire. We will see how this unfolds. If his agenda is to fight prevailing poverty among the Muslims; I bet he will succeed. But if his agenda is bent on islamization of Nigeria; I guarantee him that this is a dead-on-arrival project.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 28, 2011
@poster:

Anybody could do what you just did. Sit down and pour their litany, while knitting heresay, with assumptions and lies.
I would for no reason defend SLS because I find a great deal of his policies radical, but how do you sanitize a sector rife with fraud and insiders mess?
Have you ever sit down to carefully access the benefits of each of Sanusi's policy besides the fact that his policies led to the bank axing a great part of their workers?
DIB: Dubai  Islamic Bank (with their 0% interest policy pushed the rapid transformation of that tiny island to what it is today). Developers from all over the world came to borrow cash which can only be used within Dubai soil. The majority of the people who transformed Dubai arent moslems. But they enjoyed that awesome aspect of Islamic banking without usury.
Its a shame the mod had to make this a frontpage and not let it die in the blog bin.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 28, 2011
LagosShia:

I am an officer of Nairaland, but I must say I find the above fact disturbing. But like any media outfit, I recognise the fact that the owners reserve the right to use their outfit to pursue any goal!!!
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by odedele: 9:17am On Jun 28, 2011
Sanusi is a Boko Haram Banker. His bomb will soon detonate and blow up this nation's growing economy if not aggressively nipped in the bud. Mr president is not helping the matter too. Sanusi is done at the CBN. We dnt want such adamant egocentric religious bigot at such high leadership positions in the country. Make him the minister of tourism and give us somebody tht better understands the religious volatility of this country, pls !
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 28, 2011
The above said, I am a Muslim and a Yoruba man. I have also found myself agreeing with SLS in more than 90% of his actions and policies. The issue of non-interest banking falls into the 90%.

A lot has been said on this issue on NL and, not being someone given to protracted debates, especially with those who do not see beyond their ethno-religious noses, I have decided to stay off the debates and threads.

The issue of Islamic banking has been on CBN table since the Joseph Sanusi CBN governorship days. It gained further currency during the Soludo years. Now, Sanusi is continuing what his predecessors have initiated and somebody here is shouting religion and ethnicity, an issue that did not come up during the Joseph Sanusi and Charles Soludo years, simply because they were not Muslims. I even remember writing an article, published in Guardian newspaper, sometime around 2006 on this issue of Islamic banking. This was pre-SLS.

What exactly is wrong with Islamic banking? Islamic Finance is gaining momentum in top financial systems the world over and somebody here is crying foul for the simple reason that the man leading the plugging of Nigeria into the new global in-thing is a Muslim. Even global accounting and financial professional bodies like ACCA and CFA and introducing Islamic banking into their syllabus. More and more countries are introducing Islamic financial system as alternative to the conventional system, which is purely optional.

I know this post will receive flaks for no reason than that the I am a Muslim. Not a few other forumers will be surprised that 'oh, this is what religion can do to someone. oh, gosh, imagine Jarus defending Islamic banking'. My own opinions have never been dependent on what anybody will say of me. I care less about all those trivias, after all I know people, including on this forum, to whom my only offence is being a Muslim'.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Akanbiedu(m): 9:24am On Jun 28, 2011
^^^

You don't have to worry about what they say. man got to live for something.

They all have a whole sunday to go to church while shouting "Nigeria is a secular state". They have christian universities where muslims are not accepted except you practice whatever they do. They have so many things we are not shouting about.

May we should start shouting too.
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Nobody: 9:25am On Jun 28, 2011
Furthermore, being someone that has read more than 3 dozens of Sanusi's articles written over a period of 10 years, I have a fair idea of Sanusi's thinking. If anybody will use his post to favour any religion or ethnicity, I can vouch that it is definitely not Sanusi. Sanusi has seriously criticized religious(Islamic) demagoguery in the past, even went to the extent of fighting dirty Kano's most popular Islamic cleric, late Sheikh Adams Ja'afar, and SLS was seen as a persona non grata in Kano. He has taken up Yarima and co, who in his(Sanusi's) opinion, was manipulating Islam for personal political ends in the past. SLS, to me, is definitely not someone that will initiate a policy not in national interest!
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by maclatunji: 9:37am On Jun 28, 2011
ZnO:

Message for southern muslims:
To the northern muslims, you are all infidels. That is why try hard  as you can (Adegbite and Co.) you can never be head of islam in Nigeria
You see your Ileya moon differently, they see theirs differently
In the last election, Buhari, a northern muslim, refused to yield to the requests of Tinubu, a southern muslim: all because they feel superior to you.
Yet, you dey fall mugu for their antics

I was in Kano in 2001 when I visited a friend serving there
Suddenly riot broke out
Yoruba muslims, Yoruba christians, Igbos and other southern and northern christians were killed
They say you live peaceably with christians in your midst, hence you are not good muslims
They say you southern muslims drink beer and patronize asha-wos, like christians do, so you are for those reasons, not true muslims.
But please take a trip to a place called [b]Trailer Park [/b]along the Port Harcourt-Onne Highway in River State. They come from the North to load fertilizers from NAFCON and petroleum products from the nearby NNPC. There you will see these northern muslims in hundreds who empty beer bottles into their washing kettles used for ablution and drink from it, in deceit of the unwary. You find them sleeping with southern asha-wos on the back of their trailers at night. Ask them, they tell you ''this is southern nigeria, sharia will not catch us here''. They then go back north and pretend all is well and continue with their holier-than-thou attitude.
Did Abacha not die atop Indian asha-wos, as we hear? Yet, to a northern muslim, Abacha is more important than even the holiest of southern muslims.

I pity all these southern muslims who do not want to see beyond their noses.
Sharia Bank? Hm!! They go throw bomb inside the banking hall. Guess who  the most bankers in Nigeria are, and thus, who the potential victims would be
They go use your savings buy bomb wey dey go use kill you.
The emphasis on islamic banking is a red flag that should not be ignored
We have had Habib Bank etc; no one cared, because the name does not suggest anything of security interest
From the grapevine, one of the conditions given by the Mullahs in the Middle East to pump in cash is that the name must be ISLAMIC BANK to stamp in the IOC angle to it.

Even the deceit by Sanusi in mentioning that an Igbo man is  a shareholder of his sharia bank is lost on so many.
Ask him why he specifically singled out that Igbo man, among 10-15 other shareholders.

Hold your ears and listen up; Sharia is on its way to Ibadan. A word is enough for the wise.

ZnO, I see. From your words we shall know your mindset. So to you, the route to God is through a particular tribe, what they do or fail to do. Really it is not your fault when half of your knowledge comes from beer parlour talk. How can you understand anything. You are a very poor person in terms of intellect and ideas.

There are many other people who are against Islamic banking and they know what they are doing. The power that most Christian leaders have over their followers is the belief that somehow "Daddy" can help them escape poverty, that is why virtually every top pastor in Nigeria has several motivational books on how "YOU MUST BE A WINNER (even if the person is as inept as you)". If their christian followers realize that they can get economic empowerment from a system that is based on Islamic principles, what do you think will happen? More christians will want to learn about Islam and more will become muslims as is happening in the West. This of course means bad market for "Daddy G.O." and "Spiritual Fathers". It is not difficult to figure that out.

Erastus Akingbola has a big painting of what he thinks Jesus looks like on one of his mansions on the Island and virtually every aspiring Christian businessman I know tries to create an image of being a pastor or someone who will eventually become a pastor. These guys thrive on interest and will not want to loose their economic power to Islamic banks and by extension Muslims.

Well guys, you are fighting a lost battle, imagine if I open an interest free bank in Alaba. The number of customers I will get in a week will be incredible. I can replicate the same in Onitsha and Aba. It is your christian brothers that will protect the bank from bigots like you because you cannot keep a good thing down. Scream, wail all you want but I assure you that Islamic banking is here to stay in Nigeria- get used to it!
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by jamalah: 9:43am On Jun 28, 2011
@akanbi
i am muslim but perhaps not your type of 'muslim'. let me tell you the issue here is pluralism. we need to respect the feelings and aspirations of each and every member of the society. look at the united states for instance. can you guess the percentage  of gays and lesbians: 0.7% of the population and no politician will be bold enough to come out and castigate them or relegate their interest to the gutters. but here is a central bank governor boldly pronouncing over the bbc that he does not care for the concerns of 50% of the populace. imagine a politician doing that in the us, i am sure that is the end of his career.

muslims, especially of the north still live with  the mentality of the middle ages when they held sway over arabia where the population was homogeneous. in a case like that of naija we need to fashion out a way lo live with others not in dominion but respect for each other.

it is the mentality of spiritual superiority that created the boko haram taliban and of course sanusi's constipated idea os islamic banking : that some very few pple know what is good for the whole populace and they must be forced to obey those wishes.

creating policy by fiat and force are outdated and they will never stand the test of time.

in the first place banking is not the priority of muslims in the north. a populace that has been decimated by corruption, feudalism (the like promoted by sanusi and his fore fathers) illiteracy and many other unspeakable extremities does not need all this drama. you only save and invest when you have enough to spare. what with a person that is even yet to feed himself. let me tell you  i grew up in the heart of kano city and i know the level of poverty and deprivation suffered by our pple. when you talk of banks in kano, the biggest northern commercial hub it is clustered around a very small enclave of the kwari market and bello road and by and large they only service traders in sabon gari market and kwari textile market.

these are traders who only seek for a place to keep their money. they know very little about investment and dont even trust such ventures. a lot of them keep hard cash in their shops because their trading is not cheque-based and they cant be bothered with running to the bank every now and then. that is why when the annual fire occurs in these markets we hear of millions burnt to ashes in their shops.

the other banks are all salary 'banks'. when i used to work in kura local govt branch of afribank, the only activity is at the end of the month when the monthly subvention of cash comes from the central govenment. the chairman withdraws everything and tips us and the branch manager and that is it. we wait for another month ending. where is the investment? and that is why the jaiz bank never took off in the first place.

whether we like it or not the bulk of the banking activities, more than 80% by some estimates, are located in the lagos axis.

oue priority in the north are three things: education education education
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 28, 2011
i am muslim but perhaps not your type of 'muslim'. let me tell you the issue here is pluralism.
First, stop telling us you're a Muslim. You're not the only Muslim here. Second, other countries where Islamic banking windows are available are also plural societies. So what exactly is your problem and why are you afraid of someone taht is purely optional?

Two, Islamic banking is not Sanusi's idea, not to talk of 'constipated'. He did not create it by fiat. It was initiated in the Joseph Sanusi days, and I even remember reading about Jaiz bank's activities far back 2002 or thereabout.

in the first place banking is not the priority of muslims in the north. a populace that has been decimated by corruption, feudalism (the like promoted by sanusi and his fore fathers)

Who told you Islamic banking is for you in the North?
Re: Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective by maclatunji: 9:58am On Jun 28, 2011
It is ridiculous for anybody to say that because there might be violence in the future, Islamic banking should not be allowed. If that is your thinking then I will not be surprised if a Gorilla is smarter than you! If your government cannot provide you with security, you hold that government responsible not to hold free enterprise in contempt.

An Islamic bank is a business and as a corporate organization, you can decide to do business with whomsoever you please and under your own conditions. if the person does not like it, let him find an alternative. Do you know how many Muslims have chosen to die in penury than take interest bearing loans? Do you know the number of Muslims that do not have bank accounts because they do not want interest to accrue on their savings? Have these people ever prevented you from getting a bank loan with 30% interest rate attached? Do you realize what you are saying? The Central Bank says if you have anything called Christian banking, bring it and they will regulate it, so might I ask: are you dumb or do you have a blank mind and lack the ability to reason?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Recent Development In Banking Industry In Nigeria / Currency Dealers Back Cbn’s Policies / Can #3000 Start A Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.