Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

David Cameron Visits Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Cameron Visits Nigeria (9120 Views)

ICC Prosecutor Visits Nigeria - Indicates Interest To Commence Investigation / Obama Visits Nigeria May 28 / Zuma Visits Nigeria To Mend Bridges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Cameron Visits Nigeria by 2bosun: 12:09am On Jul 19, 2011
SAN FRANCISCO, July 18, (THEWILL) – British Prime Minister David Cameron is visiting Nigeria and South Africa as part of a two days official visit to Africa.

Cameron cut his weeklong trip short following the phone hacking scandal in the UK.

He is expected to discuss trade, aid and encourage President Goodluck Jonathan in his bid to reform the energy sector.

The two African economic giants, Nigeria and South Africa were former colonies of the United Kingdom.

Cameron is expected to depart Abuja on Tuesday for London.

http://thewillnigeria.com/general/9168-David-Cameron-Visits-Nigeria.html

First Angela Merkel, now David Cameron, next hopefully Barack Obama-  Some positive signs for Nigeria's relatively young democracy or are they just here to protect their "interests"?
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Nobody: 12:16am On Jul 19, 2011
2bosun:

SAN FRANCISCO, July 18, (THEWILL) – British Prime Minister David Cameron is visiting Nigeria and South Africa as part of a two days official visit to Africa.

Cameron cut his weeklong trip short following the phone hacking scandal in the UK.

He is expected to discuss trade, aid and encourage President Goodluck Jonathan in his bid to reform the energy sector.

The two African economic giants, Nigeria and South Africa were former colonies of the United Kingdom.

Cameron is expected to depart Abuja on Tuesday for London.

http://thewillnigeria.com/general/9168-David-Cameron-Visits-Nigeria.html

First Angela Merkel, now David Cameron, next hopefully Barack Obama-  Some positive signs for Nigeria's relatively young democracy or are they just here to protect their "interests"?

Welcome to colonial rule remix.
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Nobody: 4:22am On Jul 19, 2011
so we should start jumping and dancing right? we know he's coming because of the al qaeda threat,
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by tpia5: 4:41am On Jul 19, 2011
is he still coming because he had to cut his visit to africa short because of the widening scandal back home in britain.

did he arrive in nigeria already?
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Chyz2: 4:42am On Jul 19, 2011
tpia@:

is he still coming because he had to cut his visit to africa short because of the widening scandal back home in britain.

did he arrive in nigeria already?

Tpia, u continue to run from me,why? angry
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 4:43am On Jul 19, 2011
I despise the British and the role they played in Africa.  angry angry angry
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by seanet02: 4:46am On Jul 19, 2011
Nonsense. Na wetin concern me with british prime minister? Awon oniranu buruku
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Ystranger: 4:54am On Jul 19, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Welcome to colonial rule remix.

afi Remixi na
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Ystranger: 4:54am On Jul 19, 2011
seanet02:

Nonsense. Na wetin concern me with british prime minister? Awon oniranu buruku

se o ki n sun ni?

Ise wo gan lo n se naaa? yahoo? google? or gmail?
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by honeric01(m): 5:00am On Jul 19, 2011
Ok, is this going to stop Lagos from flooding or the NLC from going on strike on Wednesday?
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by http(m): 5:21am On Jul 19, 2011
and what the phuck about that angry

will that change anything in naija and that dullard drunken fisherman prewsident of water side whose brain has been filled with polluted water angry
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by owobokiri(m): 5:31am On Jul 19, 2011
Cameron is one arrogant bersterd. Standing with Zuma at a press conference in SA, he claimed they agreed that Gadaffi must go before a political settlement is agreed on while Zuma insisted Libyans should be allowed to sort that out. This must be 'gun boat diplomacy' part two. There is nothing for Africa in his visits since Britain is a dead power anyway. From what he said in South Africa, I guess he is more or else interested in getting Nigeria and SA behind NATO in Libya. The three of them (Sarkozy, Obama and Cameron) move around with a great deal of superiority complex.
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by agentmag: 5:33am On Jul 19, 2011
never trust these western leaders every move they make has meaning
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by honeric01(m): 5:38am On Jul 19, 2011
Libyan issue is about to tear NATO apart, they know they are fighting against the truth, even the media can't help them hide the truth again, they claim Gadaffi is killing his people, yet they are the one arming rebels to fire into the cities.

Is he coming to plan on how to invade Nigeria too? he shouldn't worry too much, JEG is there to collaborate effectively
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by TmeD0(m): 6:01am On Jul 19, 2011
lwkmd! una dey here dey vex say the guy come africa?

cameron just take style run comot as kasala don gas for murdoc and hin pickin so

who knows, maybe cameron sef dey tied up with the hacking scandal somehow. . .  grin
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by TmeD0(m): 6:03am On Jul 19, 2011
agentmag:

never trust these western leaders every move they make has meaning

no kidding! i had no idea. . .   wink
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by humpito(m): 7:06am On Jul 19, 2011
This shows that cameron is frustrated over ghadafi. I don't think NATO is fighting for a just cause. They sure have a vested interest in Libya and AU's indifference is killing them.
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by justwise(m): 7:08am On Jul 19, 2011
Hahahahaha. . . some pple here are just silly, don't trust any western country, the west destroyed African, they killing innocent pple in Libya bla bla bla.

What a bunch of idol moaners!!!  Don't wasting ur time here typing rubbish, find solution to boko haram first.
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 19, 2011
justwise:

Hahahahaha. . . some pple here are just silly, don't trust any western country, the west destroyed African, they killing innocent pple in Libya bla bla bla.

What a bunch of idol moaners!!!  Don't wasting your time here typing rubbish, find solution to boko haram first.

So who destroyed Africa if not Europeans ? Abeg tell me something I don't know !
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by justwise(m): 7:22am On Jul 19, 2011
~Bluetooth:

So who destroyed Africa if not Europeans ? Abeg tell me something I don't know !

We Africans destroyed Africa and we are still doing it and keep blaming everybody else other than ourselves.
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by 2bosun: 8:29am On Jul 19, 2011
justwise:

We Africans destroyed Africa and we are still doing it and keep blaming everybody else other than ourselves.

Very well said my brother, we keep  blaming others for our failures. Abeg free them people, everyone is looking to protect their interests. You can't blame them for our incompetent leaders.
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by justwise(m): 8:40am On Jul 19, 2011
2bosun:

Very well said my brother, we keep  blaming others for our failures. Abeg free them people, everyone is looking to protect their interests. You can't blame them for our incompetent leaders.

Its really sad, we stole our own money and bank it in Europe, we sold our oil to buy guns and all sorts of weapons to fight ourselves, we travel to Europe for good medical treatments and education but failed to pay OUR OWN doctors and teachers a living wage.

We blame the WEST for our problems but still accept charities from the WEST and complain when those charities come with CONDITIONS.

Nigeria of 1960 with oil blame the WEST, how about South Africa of 1994 without oil? Should we compare?
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by pereze: 9:00am On Jul 19, 2011
As far as I need a visa to go to the UK , this visit is all rubbish and another effort to appease their colonial mentality!
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by chopper(m): 9:04am On Jul 19, 2011
Cameron is meeting with Jonathan in Lagos and Not Abuja!!!
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by joecrack(m): 9:14am On Jul 19, 2011
chopper:

Cameron is meeting with Jonathan in Lagos and Not Abuja!!!
the guy dey fear,
with boko haram threat in abj,
lagos should do it.
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by fkadeniyi(m): 9:58am On Jul 19, 2011
It was reported yesterday that about 48 people lost their lives in Abuja /Nyanya Keffi road accident. What will be your suggestion to government concerning this road, please suggest possible solution to this carnage on this route. As for me, i will suggest that government should open a bypass to come out after Masaka and make a law that no any trailer should pass through Abuja again and any one bringing goods to Abuja should be allow to enter town between 11pm and 4am.
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by faithin9ja: 9:58am On Jul 19, 2011
Man so many myopic conspiracy theorists in the audience. Cameron came to Africa to look for business for UK, he chose South Africa and Nigeria. What's so bad in that? if you have a business/ shop and I come looking for business, either to buy from you or supply you, you will drive me abi?

The business between UK and China is probably bigger than the whole of Nigeria's oil exports, instead of us to embrace foreign business and trade we are busy throwing baseless insults. Somebody said because they need visa to go to UK they don't approve of UK. Between UK and China they use visa, even UK and India or UK and Brazil and check out the size of their trade with these countries.

We should be thinking of the things we can sell to UK and other countries, not just throwing insults.

China, India are great today because of their exports.

Nairalanders, think of businesses you can take to the rest of the world, 150 million people surely we have alot to offer, do not limit yourselves to oil and gas, or agricultural products, develope software, develope technology, create ideas and people round the world will buy from you, there is no colour bar to good or necessary products.

some examples
In the early 1990s with the advent of new generation banks some young Nigerians sold software they had developed to banks in the US !!! (Time magazine titled their article on the issue as 'taking coal to newcastle')
India today benefits massively from medical tourism, people from UK, US, Nigeria etc go to India for cheap but state of the art medical treatment.

what are my youth of Nigeria doing? blaming Cameron. blaming GEJ, blaming Boko Harem
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 19, 2011
Earlier in the year Chinese Premier Hu Jin Tau visited some African Countries and China has long adopted an approach of treating Africa as a business partner and not an Aid Consumer. China has successfully out manovered the Western block in Congo and even Libya. and almost succeeded in Nigeria, if not for the death of Yaradua. This was simply by paying for resources it harvest, instead of playing divide an rule in order to under price and overharvest resources, which is the Hallmark of British and French foreign relations (Libya is only the most recent case).

Germany has recently adopted a posture that looks as if it wishes to break ranks with the the Western Block in Foreign Policy. This is marked by the Merkel led German government abstaining from voting on the Libya issue in the Security Council and selling Leopard Tankers to Saudi Arabia recently.

Germany is the only major European country that has survived the Asian Tiger's On-slaught on the Global Economy. Britain is crying too but not aloud as its refusal to adopt the Euro has offered her some relative protection. But as British Economy has become service based, on wrong spending parttern or crisis speculation  can force a shift of services to other european countries and drive away investors. Germany is ok as it still has a robust manufacturing base. Mind you also that the so called Global and European financial crisis is nothing more than the natural balancing of economic powers following the mistaken shift of production capability to South East Asia by the West (Led by US outsourcers).

Now these countries recognize their mistakes and problems in overlooking and underestimating China, hence they are no longer letting China Out of Sight. Germany Recently adopted the Chinese Approach to investment in africa, hence Angella Merkel Visited Kenya, Angola and Nigeria last week in a Genuine effort to win german support in Africa. An secure for Germany, access to Africas Natural resources and Raw Materials.

Now this week, the worlds most Chicanery Power, led by David Cameron is visiting South Africa and Nigeria.
If I may suggest, Britain should first finish resolving the Problems it incubated in Zimbabwe, issues of Shell BP in Niger Delta, as well as restore stability to Lybia were working with France, it turned a civil protest into a civil war, before coming to look for strategies to prevent China from dominating in African Partnerships.

On the other hand we should ask ourselves why these countries are looking for our friendship only now they are in wealth trouble?
Simply because we are wealthy, believe it or not!
Why can we not harvest our wealth for ourselves? Why must it be China, Britain , Germany, etc? After they take everything, we will migrate to their countries where we will be stabbed, insulted, deported etc just cause of our skin colour. Why are we not fighting for ourselves? Why are our leaders selling our resources for peanuts which their children will quickly return back to London and Dubai in shopping sprees? Should we be rejoicing that Hawks are visiting the Chicks? How can a Lion and a Lamb become partners?
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by abacus(m): 10:01am On Jul 19, 2011
[size=20pt]That is fresh fart in high place, [/size]

IMHO, this is the first time a visiting president prefers else where aside federal capital.
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 19, 2011
Just heard he snubbed Abuja to go see the flood victims and Jonah follow am like akuya,what a shame
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 19, 2011
the people that voted for Jonathan,una for just carry gun kill us oh,beacuse it is the same thing
Re: David Cameron Visits Nigeria by Kx: 10:07am On Jul 19, 2011
abacus:

IMHO, this is the first time a visiting president prefers else where aside federal capital.

Is Cameron staying away from ABJ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Nepa Also Going On Strike? / Boko-Haram Has United Nigerians - Dixon Jubril / Should Suntai Be Approved To Resume As Governor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.