Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! (12109 Views)

Breaking News!!! See The Niger Delta 10 Largest Tribes!!! / The Full List Of All The 371 Tribes In Nigeria / Meet The 10 Powerful Men That Took Nigerians To The Next Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Tomek09(m): 10:42am On Jun 04, 2022
christistruth01:

When the British Arrived about half of Igboland was Colonised by the Igala and part of their Territory ask them
So why are Igalas not occupying Anambra let alone SouthEast?? Mumu and childish talk.

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by OFFICIAL336: 10:48am On Jun 04, 2022
Tomek09:

It's not true. I have lived among the Yorubas going to 2years. Average Yoruba family is 4 or 5 no matter how many men she had an affair with outside her husband while an Igbo family of one man and wife can have up to 8 to 10 children. Thanks to Ebonyi and some part of Enugu and Anambra that achieved this motive for Igbo nation, thereby making up her population.
I am sure you don't know Yorubas then.

Where in Yoruba land do you live?

I have never seen many Igbo families with more than 5 children. Check the average household size in Nigeria for each region.

Igbos are the least.

We don't breed like rats
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Polchiz(m): 10:49am On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Oyo state alone is as big as the 5 South East States put together and Oyo is an homogeneous Yoruba state but no South East State is homogeneous.
You are an idiot, no apologies.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by OFFICIAL336: 10:49am On Jun 04, 2022
Moddam:
Why did Mc Oluomo chase Igbos away during gubernatorial election??
Yet, they collected woto woto.

I am sure the man that was almost lynched to death and the okada burnt will never dare Igbos again.

2023 no far. Try am again

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by GeneralDitari: 10:50am On Jun 04, 2022
pinkPUSSY:

Sorry I forgot

https://www.nairaland.com/4848276/cia-revision-nigerias-ethnic-religious

Mumu post.

Igbos are not larger than Ijaw in population

Igbos are 7th class citizens that can never rule Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by GeneralDitari: 10:50am On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Mumu post.

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by GeneralDitari: 10:51am On Jun 04, 2022
Polchiz:

You are an idiot, no apologies.

I don't need apology from Cannibals that want to rule real humans as President
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Tomek09(m): 10:52am On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Igala in Anambra

Idoma and Igala in Enugu

Acculturated Ndoki Ijaws in Abia

Acculturated Egbema Ijaws in IMO

Cross river tribes in Ebonyi.
U don win. Go carry cup. Ew.u
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by GeneralDitari: 10:53am On Jun 04, 2022
Tomek09:

U don win. Go carry cup. Ew.u

Don't mistake me for your ancestors.
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by pinkPUSSY(f): 10:58am On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Mumu post.

I started hearing of Ijaw after Good luck Jonathan's emergence..

Don't worry give me time, I will get Ijaw population during 1960's census... Even Ibibio, Tub and the rest are larger than You people...

How you guys jumped from bottom to top five ethinic group in Nigeria remains a mystery to many..

Since I was born I have met only one Ijaw person in my life and that was in Edo state years back.. I have never met any other one till now ...

Stop deceiving yourself... Your argument doesn't worth it
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Tomek09(m): 10:59am On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Mumu post.

In what way did ur Ogogoro brother GEJ better your lives?? He even abandoned you idiots to build Almajiri schools for aboki idiots up North. Wretched ogogoro animals.
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by GODPUNISHALABI: 11:06am On Jun 04, 2022
DSC7:
It is Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba......

Argue with your ancestors...
hausa population is questionable cos if you go to North there are more tribes than anywhere you can find on earth Islam is the uniting factor,or I would just say hausa is the most spoken language in the north
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by GODPUNISHALABI: 11:10am On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

So why can't all these Igbos vote Igbo man to rule Nigeria since democracy

They see all Southerners that are not Yorubas as Igbos.
most igbos don't vote during election due to voter apathy
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Moddam: 11:15am On Jun 04, 2022
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by GeneralDitari: 11:18am On Jun 04, 2022
pinkPUSSY:

I started hearing of Ijaw after Good luck Jonathan's emergence..

Don't worry give me time, I will get Ijaw population during 1960's census... Even Ibibio, Tub and the rest are larger than You people...

How you guys jumped from bottom to top five ethinic group in Nigeria remains a mystery to many..

Since I was born I have met only one Ijaw person in my life and that was in Edo state years back.. I have never met any other one till now ...

Stop deceiving yourself... Your argument doesn't worth it

Igbos that are 7th class citizens are not larger than Ijaw in population.

Igbos can never ever rule Nigeria.
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by 9jakool: 11:24am On Jun 04, 2022
Moddam:
You are a liar, Igbos have more population than Yoruba. Forget about sentiment, Igbos are populated than Yoruba. Lagos for instance, Igbos want to overshadow Yoruba. with population in their backyard. Igbo is the second populated Region in Nigeria after Hausa.

Yoruba = 7 majority states + 1 significantly populated state (Kogi).
Igbo = 5 majority states + 2 significantly populated states (Delta and Rivers).

Even if we don't count Lagos, Ibadan is still larger than any Igbo city by far.

5 Likes

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Moddam: 11:51am On Jun 04, 2022
9jakool:

Yoruba = 7 majority states + 1 significantly populated state (Kogi).
Igbo = 5 majority states + 2 significantly populated states (Delta and Rivers).

Even if we don't count Lagos, Ibadan is still larger than any Igbo city by far.
You must be a kid for saying this, i don't interact with kids, go and look for your type. Gaskiya!!

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by dmostcheerful(f): 12:35pm On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Oyo state alone is as big as the 5 South East States put together and Oyo is an homogeneous Yoruba state but no South East State is homogeneous.
It is not about landmass oga, we are talking about population.
The second largest tribe in Nigeria if not the first is Igbo.
And that is what is stopping the federal government from doing proper digital census till today.

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by colonelwealth(m): 1:06pm On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:
Truth be told, Igbos are not larger than Ijaw in population.

The areas Ijaws occupy in the Niger Delta is as big as Igbo land.

Ijaws were unjustly balkanized into six states when all Ijaw areas are together and share perfect boundaries with each other.

Ijaws were unjustly balkanized into Ondo, Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers and Akwa-Ibom States when Ijaws are not even scattered by God.

I know this your post was created with the sole intension to cause tribal arm measurements and to misinform people by twisting facts.

Ijaws that even Ibibio & maybe Fulanis are more than in population...is what your are comparing with Igbos.

Must your swampy creek dwellers always want to rob unnecessary shoulders with Igbos..?

Why not try next door...the Hausas or Yorubas.

You can't even stand Ikwerres or Annangs...it is Igbos you want to rob shoulders with... delusional!

You try to use landmass to compare with population.
Igbos may have smaller landmass by slightly have bigger population than Yorubas.
Mind you Igbo land too were balkanized too so original Igbo territory is quite bigger than present.

Hausas are highest in population but may not be upto 25% as a lot of other smaller tribes in the north are mistaken for them.

You always avoid other tribes but want measure with Igbos...stop it!

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by colonelwealth(m): 1:14pm On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Igbos that are 7th class citizens are not larger than Ijaw in population.

Ans.

Igbos can never ever rule Nigeria.

Azikiwe, Ironsi, Ekweme(2 Presidents&1 vice) all Igbos and many too come.
No Ijaws (unknown class citizens) can lace their shoes.

Jonathan who himself is not Ijaw(Ijaws claim him thou) was president based on Igbo influence.

Ijaws(thou the foolish ones like yourself) can't even be a proper senior cabinet minister talk more of Vice.

You truely a foolish fellow.
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by boyfrank: 3:34pm On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Yorubas are in Kwara and Kogi too.
And Oyo alone big pass 5 South East States put together.

Who's arguing we're Yorubas are and are not? Just corrected you. Moreover, nobody cares about your fake Ijaw statistics.
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Isobug: 4:06pm On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Igala in Anambra

Idoma and Igala in Enugu

�Lol....Nairaland sef.....I catch cruise here each passing day. Cross River tribe in Ebonyi, this one off me���
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Saladdin: 4:22pm On Jun 04, 2022
GeneralDitari:
I just searched this on the Internet and this was exactly how it is in all sites.

Largest Ethnic Groups In Nigeria

Rank Ethnic Group Share of Nigerian Population
1 Hausa 25.1%
2 Yoruba 21.0%
3 Igbo 18.0%
4 Ijaw 10.0%
5 Kanuri 4.0%
6 Fulani 3.9%
7 Ibibio 3.5%
8 Tiv 2.5%
* Other Groups 12%

@ GeneralDitari, you tried, but the list is partly correct, while some info are outright inaccurate. That list was constructed in a lazy with politico-cultural undertones without considering factors like: geographical spread and dialects Traveling around the country or simply picking up a book or gleaning into authoritative websites should confirm that.

@ Numbers 2 & 3 are correct, but numbers 1,4,5,6,7 & 8 are highly exaggerated. The list seem to be confusing Northern Minority tribes with native Hausas just because they have adopted the language as their Lingua Franca. The Nupe, Gwari, Ebira and Igala tribes hold a really significant figure In Nigeria's population. Old history books and contemporary researched works confirm that.

At Best Native Hausas can't be more than 20% of Nigeria's population at most. If we are to consider only the real natives, I dare postulate that the Yorubas and Igbos have a larger population than the Hausas in Nigeria especially if we are to add their dialects.

The percentage given to the Ijaws and the Tivs are the most exaggerated. We obviously do not have 20million in Ijaws in Nigeria. shocked

The figure of the former (the Ijaws) was politically propped up courtesy of the Goodluck Jonathan factor. It'll be very hard to see such figures in books and scholarly articles. The only explanation is if Ijaws were grouped with the Urohbos, Kalabaris, Okrika and other South Southern minorities.

As for the Tivs, their figure is only believable if they were combined with the Idoma, Igede and the Etulo tribes to get that %.

That Wikipedia article on this needs to be updated.

The list should probably go like this:

1 Hausa 20%
2 Yoruba 20%
3 Igbo 20%
4 Kanuri 4.0%
5 Fulani 3.5%
6 Ibibio 2.5%
7 Gwari 2.5%
8 Nupe 2.0%
9 Tiv 2.0%
10 Efik 1.5%
11 Ebira 1.5%
12 Igala 1.5%
13 Ijaw 1.5%
13 Jukun 1.0%
14. Annang 1.0
14 Idoma 1.0%
15 Edo 1.0%
16 Urhobo 1.0%
17 Ikwerre 1.0%
18 Other Groups 11.5%

The above list might not be 100% accurate but it's still much more accurate than the one you pasted.
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by 371olutumibi: 4:36pm On Jun 04, 2022
Which other tribes are found in SouthEast?? Mumu man Which other tribes are found in SouthEast?? Mumu man ...
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by GeneralDitari: 5:45pm On Jun 04, 2022
Saladdin:

@ GeneralDitari, you tried, but the list is partly correct, while some info are outright inaccurate. That list was constructed in a lazy with politico-cultural undertones without considering factors like: geographical spread and dialects Traveling around the country or simply picking up a book or gleaning into authoritative websites should confirm that.

@ Numbers 2 & 3 are correct, but numbers 1,4,5,6,7 & 8 are highly exaggerated. The list seem to be confusing Northern Minority tribes with native Hausas just because they have adopted the language as their Lingua Franca. The Nupe, Gwari, Ebira and Igala tribes hold a really significant figure In Nigeria's population. Old history books and contemporary researched works confirm that.

At Best Native Hausas can't be more than 20% of Nigeria's population at most. If we are to consider only the real natives, I dare postulate that the Yorubas and Igbos have a larger population than the Hausas in Nigeria especially if we are to add their dialects.

The percentage given to the Ijaws and the Tivs are the most exaggerated. We obviously do not have 20million in Ijaws in Nigeria. shocked

The figure of the former (the Ijaws) was politically propped up courtesy of the Goodluck Jonathan factor. It'll be very hard to see such figures in books and scholarly articles. The only explanation is if Ijaws were grouped with the Urohbos, Kalabaris, Okrika and other South Southern minorities.

As for the Tivs, their figure is only believable if they were combined with the Idoma, Igede and the Etulo tribes to get that %.

That Wikipedia article on this needs to be updated.

The list should probably go like this:

1 Hausa 20%
2 Yoruba 20%
3 Igbo 20%
4 Kanuri 4.0%
5 Fulani 3.5%
6 Ibibio 2.5%
7 Gwari 2.5%
8 Nupe 2.0%
9 Tiv 2.0%
10 Efik 1.5%
11 Ebira 1.5%
12 Igala 1.5%
13 Ijaw 1.5%
13 Jukun 1.0%
14. Annang 1.0
14 Idoma 1.0%
15 Edo 1.0%
16 Urhobo 1.0%
17 Ikwerre 1.0%
18 Other Groups 11.5%

The above list might not be 100% accurate but it's still much more accurate than the one you pasted.

Ijaw is as big as Igbo.
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Crimsoneagle: 4:51pm On Jun 21, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Igbo the 7th class citizens of Nigeria that can never rule Nigeria.
your name should be general rétarded for real

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Kenny206(m): 11:06pm On Jul 11, 2022
Igbos are everywhere does not mean they are bigger than Yorubas
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by Onyiiobi7735(m): 7:44am On Dec 22, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Igala in Anambra
Idoma and Igala in Enugu
Pathetic liar.All SE states are ethnically homogeneous.
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 8:16am On Dec 22, 2022
GeneralDitari:

How come no one goes to Oyo state that is bigger than the whole Africa but to Lagos which is the smallest which shows your size is very useless grin
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 8:18am On Dec 22, 2022
GeneralDitari:

Because they see all other Southerners like Igbos.
What kind of reasoning is this? undecided
Re: See The 10 Largest Tribes In Nigeria!!! by DMerciful(m): 8:44am On Dec 22, 2022
Do you know the number of Igbos in Oyo?
GeneralDitari:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Thugs Accused Of Destroying Kwankwaso's Billboards In Kano / Tinubu Hails Rescue Of Kidnapped Kuriga School Children / Subsidy War: Expect Mother Of All Strikes From Monday –– Labour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.