Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo (5215 Views)

Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. / Russian Girls Learn Yoruba And Igbo Language / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by ManirBK: 11:49am On Jun 04, 2022
We are all agreed that Hausa is number one tribe with largest population in Nigeria. please we need to know between Yoruba's and Igbo's who is second to Hausa in terms of highest population.

Fulaman198
odumchi
bigfrancis21
lalasticlala
seun
seunmsg
mynd44
oam4j
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Mooh247: 11:51am On Jun 04, 2022
cool

Ibo has second largest population in Nigeria after Hausa and Yoruba comes 3rd according to CIAfactbooks

Ibos 40million , Yoruba 30+million

Now the funny thing is Yoruba Population world wide spans Nigeria, Togo, Benin, Ghana and Brazil

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Gentlerespect76: 11:51am On Jun 04, 2022
ManirBK:
We are all agreed that Hausa is number one tribe with largest population in Nigeria. please I need to know between Yoruba's and Igbo's who is second to Hausa in terms of highest population.

Fulaman198
odumchi
bigfrancis21
lalasticlala
seun
seunmsg
mynd44
oam4j

If you want to know the truth, it's the Igbo. They are everywhere on earth. But you can choose your own "truth".
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by ManirBK: 11:54am On Jun 04, 2022
Mooh247:
Ibo has second largest population after Hausa and Yoruba comes 3rd according to CIAfactbooks
Thanks for this pls can you share a link to support your contribution?
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Mooh247: 11:56am On Jun 04, 2022
ManirBK:

Go on Central Intelligence Agency website C.I.A

https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/nigeria/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by ManirBK: 11:58am On Jun 04, 2022
Gentlerespect76:

If you want to know the truth, it's the Igbo. They are everywhere on earth. But you can choose your own "truth".
Yes bro I'm trying to say the same Igbos are every where they are even trying to out numbered Yoruba's in Lagos

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by tunene66: 12:42pm On Jun 04, 2022
Mooh247:

Go on Central Intelligence Agency website C.I.A

https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/nigeria/

Mooh247:
cool

Ibo has second largest population in Nigeria after Hausa and Yoruba comes 3rd according to CIAfactbooks

Ibos 40million , Yoruba 30+million

Now the funny thing is Yoruba Population world wide spans Nigeria, Togo, Benin, Ghana and Brazil

Your link says something different

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by macof(m): 1:52pm On Jun 04, 2022
ManirBK:
We are all agreed that Hausa is number one tribe with largest population in Nigeria. please we need to know between Yoruba's and Igbo's who is second to Hausa in terms of highest population.

Fulaman198
odumchi
bigfrancis21
lalasticlala
seun
seunmsg
mynd44
oam4j

All attempts at giving a conclusive number to the population have been theories and intelligent gueses.
Even census that should be our reference have been met with political gimmicks and screwed results.
So even hausa being number one is questionable. There's a lot of holes you can poke at that conclusion

But I tend to rely on the idea of 45 million yorubas in Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Ologbo147: 7:32pm On Jun 04, 2022
macof:

All attempts at giving a conclusive number to the population have been theories and intelligent gueses.
Even census that should be our reference have been met with political gimmicks and screwed results.
So even hausa being number one is questionable. There's a lot of holes you can poke at that conclusion

But I tend to rely on the idea of 45 million yorubas in Nigeria
Yorubas being 35 million even would be wild guess. No major tribe in Nigeria is more than 35 million believe or not. Semi major groups in Nigeria have experienced "stunted growth" as a result of analysis by men from major groups. Groups like ibibio-annang-efik would hardly scale 15 million when analysed by these men but Yoruba which was just twice the number of this group in 1921 According to the census at the time is given the number 45 million like if the ibiboid groups experienced genocide. Same with other semi major groups like kanuri, Fulani and Tiv which are heavily downplayed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by macof(m): 1:41am On Jun 05, 2022
Ologbo147:
Yorubas being 35 million even would be wild guess. No major tribe in Nigeria is more than 35 million believe or not. Semi major groups in Nigeria have experienced "stunted growth" as a result of analysis by men from major groups. Groups like ibibio-annang-efik would hardly scale 15 million when analysed by these men but Yoruba which was just twice the number of this group in 1921 According to the census at the time is given the number 45 million like if the ibiboid groups experienced genocide. Same with other semi major groups like kanuri, Fulani and Tiv which are heavily downplayed

Well I don't know what you are trying to get at by comparing Yoruba to Ibibio
But I will remind you the Yoruba include those in Kwara, Kogi, Delta and Edo states who are often left out

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by TAO11(f): 5:16am On Jun 05, 2022
tunene66:
But why did he feel the strong urge to “lie” tho?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by r4bbit: 10:17am On Jun 05, 2022
ManirBK:
Yes bro I'm trying to say the same Igbos are every where they are even trying to out numbered Yoruba's in Lagos

grin grin
must you come online and post stupid things

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by temitope27(m): 5:03pm On Jun 05, 2022
ManirBK:
mumu dey worry you, outnumbered who? U people can't even outnumbered hausa people

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by nsiba: 6:43am On Jun 06, 2022
ManirBK:

Can you share the link where Hausa is number one
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by deadkamalu: 2:35am On Jun 07, 2022
It is erroneous to think the Hausa are the most populated in Nigeria except you classify all the Nupe,jukun,chamba,gbagyi,Fulani,kanuri,eggon and other hundreds of tribes in the north as hausa
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by deadkamalu: 2:42am On Jun 07, 2022
nsiba:

Can you share the link where Hausa is number one
Hausa should take the 3rd spots except we want to classify all the tribes in northern Nigeria as hausa which can be misleading.
Hausa is now more of a language than a people as many tribes in the north with no Hausa descent use it as Lingua.
Mostly found in the north west the Hausa should be around 20million in number.
the north east and north central should have the highest number of tribal groups in Nigeria and they are not Hausa but use it as a lingua
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Balogunodua(m): 7:29pm On Jun 07, 2022
tunene66:

grin grin
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Ologbo147: 10:05pm On Jun 09, 2022
macof:

But I will remind you the Yoruba include those in Kwara, Kogi, Delta and Edo states who are often left out
Itsekiris are not up to a million, the Yorubas in Edo state are not more than a hundred thousand, kabba is the least populated senatorial district in kogi state making up about twenty percent of the population of the state(1.2 million at most). Kogi and kwara even are not strong population centres(Yorubas in kwara will be at most 3 million. These numbers cumulatively would staggeringly make six million. We know Ekiti is a bonus state. Among the least populated in the country. Cannot be more than 3million now. Osun is just there too, no viable bubbling town there, would hardly make 3.5million.

I think most persons ordinarily count kogi west and kwara as part of Yoruba save for itsekiri which won't add much when counted alongside. I don't know what else to call oyedepo and the afolayan family if not Yoruba not like they have Yoruba denial issues. Or smart adeyemi from kogi west.All Yorubas I have seen from kogi west and kwara own it with their full chest that they are yorubas. You only call people what they call themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by macof(m): 12:12am On Jun 10, 2022
Ologbo147:
Itsekiris are not up to a million, the Yorubas in Edo state are not more than a hundred thousand, kabba is the least populated senatorial district in kogi state making up about twenty percent of the population of the state(1.2 million at most). Kogi and kwara even are not strong population centres(Yorubas in kwara will be at most 3 million. These numbers cumulatively would staggeringly make six million. We know Ekiti is a bonus state. Among the least populated in the country. Cannot be more than 3million now. Osun is just there too, no viable bubbling town there, would hardly make 3.5million.

I think most persons ordinarily count kogi west and kwara as part of Yoruba save for itsekiri which won't add much when counted alongside. I don't know what else to call oyedepo and the afolayan family if not Yoruba not like they have Yoruba denial issues. Or smart adeyemi from kogi west.All Yorubas I have seen from kogi west and kwara own it with their full chest that they are yorubas. You only call people what they call themselves.

You are barking up what is tantamount to guesses as I already stated in my very first comment

Nobody knows what the population of anybody is as a matter of fact.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Wulfruna(f): 12:34am On Jun 10, 2022
macof:

Who are the Yoruba in Delta? Do you mean the Itsekiri? Or do you mean the Olukwumi, who generally use Igbo names now, are culturally Aniocha and are hardly conscious of their Yorubaness? In any case, they occupy a few tiny villages, and I won't be surprised if they don't number up to 100,000 people in total.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Dicoomoba: 5:33am On Dec 15, 2023
Wulfruna:

Who are the Yoruba in Delta? Do you mean the Itsekiri? Or do you mean the Olukwumi, who generally use Igbo names now, are culturally Aniocha and are hardly conscious of their Yorubaness? In any case, they occupy a few tiny villages, and I won't be surprised if they don't number up to 100,000 people in total.

Must you Igbo claim what’s not , thank God no be we dey praise ourselves na our maturity and calmness dey make dem dey hail Yoruba
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Tjra: 6:32pm On Dec 15, 2023
deadkamalu:
It is erroneous to think the Hausa are the most populated in Nigeria except you classify all the Nupe,jukun,chamba,gbagyi,Fulani,kanuri,eggon and other hundreds of tribes in the north as hausa
I agree with this.
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by ImperialYoruba: 11:07pm On Dec 15, 2023
ManirBK:
. We are all agreed that Hausa is number one tribe with largest population in Nigeria. please we need to know between Yoruba's and Igbo's who is second to Hausa in terms of highest population.

Fulaman198
odumchi
bigfrancis21
lalasticlala
seun
seunmsg
mynd44
oam4j

Who is the "we" that agreed with you?

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Christistruth00: 4:31pm On Dec 21, 2023
If the SE knows what Ojukwu did to them
Hmmm

Before the War Igbos were more than Yorubas
but after the War things had changed
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Teddy0147(m): 9:14am On Dec 22, 2023
ManirBK:

Fulaman198
odumchi
bigfrancis21
lalasticlala
seun
seunmsg
mynd44
oam4j

The bitter truth is ibos are not among the three major tribe currently…. Let’s just wait for census…the ijaws are currently more than ibos
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by RedboneSmith(m): 4:52pm On Dec 22, 2023
Teddy0147:

The bitter truth is ibos are not among the three major tribe currently…. Let’s just wait for census…the ijaws are currently more than ibos
Ment.
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Probz(m): 11:12pm On Dec 22, 2023
Teddy0147:

Okwia? Okay. If that’s the lie you want to peddle yourself (I say this as someone who’s related to some people with Bayelsa-Ijaw roots).
Re: Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo by Okada691: 11:13am On Dec 23, 2023
Teddy0147:

you are a clown, the south south igbos alone are safely realistically bigger than ijaws,

Igbanke an Igbo group in Edo state would match the population of the Ijaws in Edo state.

The igbos in delta state is about three times the population of Ijaws in delta state. The excess or remnant would cut half the population of Bayelsa state.

When you go to rivers state, the local government of the Ijaws are the least populated, igbo groups like Ogba,Ndoni,Ndoki, Etche, Omuma ,Egbema, Oyigbo,Ikwerre, Asa, etc would comfortably take care of the Ijaws in rivers state and there would be excess or remnant, when you now add the population of Ezza igbos in Benue state scattered in three local government with over three hundred villages to the excess or remnant from rivers state, that would comfortably take care of the remaining from Bayelsa state. No need to go to the east.

That is the reality, when you sum up the population of Igbos in Delta, Edo, Rivers , Benue , that would safely comfortably take care of the population of Ijaws in Nigeria. So it is a far cry or it is delusional to assume that Ijaws are even 25% of the population of the igbos in Nigeria let alone being more than them

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? / Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication / How To Memorise The Seniority Of The 16 Odus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.