Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,190 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! (2446 Views)

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s / I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 10:17pm On Jun 06, 2022
Ardar:
Op I'll advice that you wait till you finish school then you can officially change your name, you know with the court avidavit, news paper declaration, etc.

Because Nigerian universities will frustrate you.

Thank you sir. I'm actually considering this. But sir can I change the name now, so my bank accounts, Passport, NIN and some other official documents can start with it then after graduation I'll effect the change on my academic documents?
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 10:21pm On Jun 06, 2022
Corporate2020:
Go to hell and change your surname to Buhari. Your dad is resting after all the troubles that you and your mummy made the man pass through. You can continue in your bitterness, anger, and hatred. Oloriburuku Omo Oshi.

Hehehehehe!

One deadbeat don dey defend him fellow deadbeat. Na your children I just dey pity, dem never know wetin wan hit them, abi e don hit them sef. Be like your children don even disown you sef, na why you carry that anger come here. Sperm donor wey wan harvest wetin him no plant. Ewu

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 10:28pm On Jun 06, 2022
JONNYSPUTE:
.... And you think that just changing of your surname will erase the fact that he was your biological father?

Go ahead and change it and by the time your mother's side tells you that you don't belong there your eyes go open.

Sperm donors are biological fathers of their kids, you don't see those kids taking their surnames.

Like I said before, them no go tell me anything, i be my mama pikin loud and clear, everybody know that one. my own is what will these people even stop me from sef? telling me I'm not part of them will prevent what actually?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by frozen70(f): 7:30am On Jun 07, 2022
Maddict1:

Sir, one can.
One can actually wake up and decide to change their surname after considerate thinking. One does not need a family meeting, a written letter or any acceptance. Not everyone is the related-by-blood advocate, nor be everybody dey fight for inheritance, I am definitely not interested in their properties or their acceptance, what's my business with the family at large? na my mama name I wan bear, she accepts me even without a question, I be her own, her family also know say I be my mama pikin so what are you actually saying? Even if I'm interested in inheriting anything sef, my mama property no be my own? besides I'm from Urhobo and our culture doesn't discriminate, dia pikin na dia pikin whether na dia son or dia daughter born am, na dia own. So respectully stop die that family meeting and family affidavit matter. I want to say a lot but I can't type anymore

Thank you.

Thanks dear, I wish you success

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by frozen70(f): 7:31am On Jun 07, 2022
Maddict1:

I wanted to say thanks and move on before but nah, what's all this meeting here and there? for what?

Wait o! is this because it's a woman's name I'm changing to?

Maybe
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 07, 2022
Maddict1:

Thank you sir. I'm actually considering this. But sir can I change the name now, so my bank accounts, Passport, NIN and some other official documents can start with it then after graduation I'll effect the change on my academic documents?

Yea you can
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Runsboi(m): 7:48pm On Jun 09, 2022
Maddict1:

Hehehehehe!

One deadbeat don dey defend him fellow deadbeat. Na your children I just dey pity, dem never know wetin wan hit them, abi e don hit them sef. Be like your children don even disown you sef, na why you carry that anger come here. Sperm donor wey wan harvest wetin him no plant. Ewu

As in ehh grin cheesy grin cheesy My heart goes out to his children

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Runsboi(m): 7:50pm On Jun 09, 2022
Ardar:
Op I'll advice that you wait till you finish school then you can officially change your name, you know with the court avidavit, news paper declaration, etc.

Because Nigerian universities will frustrate you.

This is practically one of the most sensible reply here not the ones talking about father's family and mother's family meeting just because person wan dey answer him mama(woman) name

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by McDuncan: 8:52pm On Jun 09, 2022
Maddict1:
Good Evening my Ogas and Madams in the house.

I'm looking towards changing my surname to both my mother's name and my father's combined together. I am currently bearing that of my dad who was a deadbeat till his death and I don't see why I or my unborn children should solely take his name and write off the woman who toiled hard to bring us up, it's unfair to her in my opinion. I already know the steps to take. Court Affidavit - Newspaper publication - Nin/Bvn. I'm sha confused on the Nin/Bvn part cos I read somewhere that NIMC usually asks you to change it on your BVN first before coming to them and Banks on the other hand will ask you to go change it on your NIN first before they'll effect the change on your BVN, pls is this still a thing? How do I resolve it?
Also, I'm currently in my 3rd year in the University, will this affect me in any way? Do I have to go to NECO office to effect the change too?

I'm grateful for your inputs in advance

I've read most of your posts here but, one question remains; is it your mother's name you're joining up with your father's name or your mother's surname?
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by pocohantas(f): 11:55pm On Jun 09, 2022
JONNYSPUTE:
.... And you think that just changing of your surname will erase the fact that he was your biological father?

Go ahead and change it and by the time your mother's side tells you that you don't belong there your eyes go open.

Lol. We both know this would never happen. The woman’s side would hardly ever reject a child. Even if e get down syndrome, they will accept him. I don’t know what OP is going through. So I can only wish him peace.

9 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by JONNYSPUTE(m): 10:35am On Jun 10, 2022
pocohantas:

Lol. We both know this would never happen. The woman’s side would hardly ever reject a child. Even if e get down syndrome, they will accept him. I don’t know what OP is going through. So I can only wish him peace.
.....Well. We can never tell. I wish him well.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by cayorday89(m): 11:43am On Jun 10, 2022
BadInvestment:
Surname should be lost of your problem. If you don't have any already. Instead change your kids surname to your name.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by cayorday89(m): 11:46am On Jun 10, 2022
BadInvestment:
Surname should be lost of your problem. If you don't have any already. Instead change your kids surname to your name.
Maddict1, this is what you are supposed to do, it's ought to be the norm, your own name is supposed to be your children's surname and not the one you grew up with.
Either you change your surname now or not to your mother's own is not the main thing, the best you could do for her is to be there for her when she needs you, make her proud and happy always as a way to repay all that she has done for you.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 1:08pm On Jun 10, 2022
McDuncan:

I've read most of your posts here but, one question remains; is it your mother's name you're joining up with your father's name or your mother's surname?
My mother's name

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 1:09pm On Jun 10, 2022
pocohantas:

Thank you for this. smiley
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 1:09pm On Jun 10, 2022
JONNYSPUTE:
.....Well. We can never tell. I wish him well.

Better. smiley
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 1:19pm On Jun 10, 2022
cayorday89:

Maddict1, this is what you are supposed to do, it's ought to be the norm, your own name is supposed to be your children's surname and not the one you grew up with.
Either you change your surname now or not to your mother's own is not the main thing, the best you could do for her is to be there for her when she needs you, make her proud and happy always as a way to repay all that she has done for you.

I know all of these but the thing is I'm usually triggered when I'm identified by/with the name. I've already started including my mom's name and I've never felt better! I want to be identified and linked with someone who was empathic to me and didn't make my life a living hell, someone who didn't make me depressed and suicidal, someone who didn't make me feel like I was worthless in all ways, someone who was glad to be related to me and defends me against all odds. Parenthood is a choice, one isn't a parent just by their ability to procreate or have children you know. I want to be a child of the person who chose to be parent to me. My kids will eventually bear the names of both their parents so why don't I lead by example?

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by cayorday89(m): 3:05pm On Jun 10, 2022
Maddict1:

I know all of these but the thing is I'm usually triggered when I'm identified by/with the name. I've already started including my mom's name and I've never felt better! I want to be identified and linked with someone who was empathic to me and didn't make my life a living hell, someone who didn't make me depressed and suicidal, someone who didn't make me feel like I was worthless in all ways, someone who was glad to be related to me and defends me against all odds. Parenthood is a choice, one isn't a parent just by their ability to procreate or have children you know. I want to be a child of the person who chose to be parent to me. My kids will eventually bear the names of both their parents so why don't I lead by example?
Seriously, I understand and can relate with your feelings.. If that is what is okay for you and make you happy, please do it, your happiness is above other things... Go with it the right way to prevent confusions especially with all the different documentation one has to do now as a Nigerian...

I know someone on Facebook who did exact same thing as you want to and he has also given tips on how one can go about childhood trauma suffered from parents.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 7:00pm On Dec 03, 2023
After so many back and forths, i finally took the long awaited step to officially change my surname and I've never been prouder since i did. I usually beam with joy whenever I'm writing my name on any official form I'm filling ahh!

The only issue I'm faced with right now is the inconsistency in my bank account names on different bank platforms, i don't know if any one has also expérienced this, some bank platforms sometimes still display my old name whilst people are making transfers to me and that makes them wonder if the account is actually mine, I don't know why that's happening cos I've officially changed the name on all of them, BVN, NIN inclusive. I've called the CCs of all my banks and they don't seem to know what to do. Is there any fix for this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 7:03pm On Dec 03, 2023
Also since I'm currently in my final year in the university, I don't know how possible it is to change my name in school, I can't enquire now cos we're on holidays. I just want to know if anyone has successfully changed their name in school too and process it took.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Intergrated: 7:28pm On Dec 03, 2023
Zonefree:
Don't bother changing your surname now, wait till you get married so you can change it to your wife's surname.
epic . Or your wife's father's name.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Stevenbright(m): 7:57pm On Dec 03, 2023
Maddict1:

I wanted to say thanks and move on before but nah, what's all this meeting here and there? for what?

Wait o! is this because it's a woman's name I'm changing to?

What she is saying is it has to be done with the consent of your mum's family since you are about taking their family name as your surname. Otherwise, if you just do it on your own without due process, they can deny you and your nuclear family in the nearest future when it is most important.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 8:26pm On Dec 03, 2023
Stevenbright:

What she is saying is it has to be done with the consent of your mum's family since you are about taking their family name as your surname. Otherwise, if you just do it on your own without due process, they can deny you and your nuclear family in the nearest future when it is most important.

I didn't take their family name, i took my mother's name. deny me as in how?? deed has already been done sha

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 8:28pm On Dec 03, 2023
Intergrated:
epic . Or your wife's father's name.

association of deadbeats don come again grin

i kuku get una strength

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Intergrated: 8:32pm On Dec 03, 2023
Maddict1:

association of deadbeats don come again grin

i kuku get una strength
madman you don't know the meaning of generational name I wonder the kind of useless children wen dey graduate this days. Your father useless does it mean your forefathers were useless. Mention me till infinity guy u no get sense finish.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Stevenbright(m): 8:42pm On Dec 03, 2023
Maddict1:

I didn't take their family name, i took my mother's name. deny me as in how?? deed has already been done sha

Ok, she didn't get this point. She thought you taking your mum's maiden name (her father's name)

In this, since you took your mum's name, there is no issue other than you are starting a new paternal lineage, starting with you.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Acidosis(m): 9:24pm On Dec 03, 2023
You mean the name of the father of your mother? I hope he wasn't a deadbeat too?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 9:50pm On Dec 03, 2023
Intergrated:
madman you don't know the meaning of generational name I wonder the kind of useless children wen dey graduate this days. Your father useless does it mean your forefathers were useless. Mention me till infinity guy u no get sense finish.

na forefathers born me? wetin your generational name don do for you?? and see me here thinking this uselessness ended with my deadbeat, i nor know say you follow. na people like you dey wan die on top family land, i sure say you never even comot your papa house laidis.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 9:51pm On Dec 03, 2023
Acidosis:

You mean the name of the father of your mother? I hope he wasn't a deadbeat too?

no, just the name of my mom and a random male name to reduce plenty talk

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 9:52pm On Dec 03, 2023
Stevenbright:

Ok, she didn't get this point. She thought you taking your mum's maiden name (her father's name)

In this, since you took your mum's name, there is no issue other than you are starting a new paternal lineage, starting with you.

yea, just my mom's name

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Justbehave(m): 10:28pm On Dec 03, 2023
Maddic..t meaning madness. I'm not suprised
Re: I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! by Maddict1: 11:01pm On Dec 03, 2023
Justbehave:
Maddic..t meaning madness. I'm not suprised

act like your username for a change, you'd regain your lost brain cells

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Men Can U Help Unravel Dis Relationship Questions Bugging My Mind / Twins Found Dead In A Waste Bin At Okosu, Onitsha / Marriage Certificate Replacement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.