Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,889 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? (23768 Views)

I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname / I Will Not Bear My Husband’s Name-What are the Consequences? / My Husband Doesn’t Want My Son To Come And Stay With Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Tayorshd87: 4:05pm On Jul 25, 2023
From a friend though

Am the last born in my family and there are too many ups and downs and wahala in my family because it was a polygamous home and my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father 😭😢
So how I wish I should start my life with my own fresh lineage from my wife and children. Like I don't want to be part of the father tree again.

I gave birth 3days ago and I don't want my son to bear my surname 🤔 I want my own name to be his surname so my father lineage will be cut off
☹️

Please is there any future implications in this decision?
Or rather something bad behind this decision??

Thanks 😌

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Mophor: 4:08pm On Jul 25, 2023
Sighs!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Kobojunkie: 4:08pm On Jul 25, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though
Am the last born in my family and there are too many ups and downs and wahala in my family because it was a polygamous home and my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father 😭😢
So how I wish I should start my life with my own fresh lineage from my wife and children. Like I don't want to be part of the father tree again.
I gave birth 3days ago and I don't want my son to bear my surname 🤔 I want my own name to be his surname so my father lineage will be cut off
☹️
Thanks 😌
I believe all that is required is that you write your name on his birth certificate and then indicate the first name and last name (include any other names if necessary) you wish for him to bear right there in the same certificate? undecided

135 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by talented321: 4:13pm On Jul 25, 2023
The kind things some men dey think sef'' wetin concern my father concern my precious kid. Your father did mistake u don't like fine, now it is left for u correct those mistakes in ur time. Oga stop been too emotional abeg
Use whatever name u like it is ur son.

230 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 25, 2023
There is no problem about that
Let him bear your name smiley

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by adamma24: 4:18pm On Jul 25, 2023
There are many people using their father first name as their surname...e plenty for naija here....so no biggy..

80 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Zupay: 4:20pm On Jul 25, 2023
No implication.

I know someone whose children bear his native name as their surname as he said he wants his own surname to end with him and his children bear his own name,

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Candidlady: 4:20pm On Jul 25, 2023
Hmmm

The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree...

my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father

Don't know why ifind this so funny......

You don't wanna have anything to do with your father.. and you have a son now... Ijust pray your son doesn't choose same path!!!

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Ahmed0336(m): 4:31pm On Jul 25, 2023
My kids are using my name and heaven didn't fall I believe you can do same

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Rhassidy360: 4:36pm On Jul 25, 2023
There’s no implication my bro na u know wetin ur eyes de see you should have just moved on jeje Li some people go just de give u some funny details here way go de make u feel
Bad. Abeg move on my bro God bless your son.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by budaatum: 4:38pm On Jul 25, 2023
In fact it was tradition in Yoruba culture for sons to bear their own names until Christianity brought us surnames. All my great-grandfathers' siblings surnamed their first names.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by matrixme(m): 4:58pm On Jul 25, 2023
My father and my God, may I never be such a deadbeat father that my children will decide to crop my name from his lineage. May such lot not be my portion in life in Jesus mighty name. Amen!!! cry cry cry

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Anfieldboss: 5:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
Oga stop worrying yourself. Only me and my wife are bearing my last name. My daughter is bearing my first name as her last name. There is nothing absolutely wrong with what you intend to do.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Exmilitant(m): 5:05pm On Jul 25, 2023
If you want to begin a new chapter with your kids fine but have in mind that one of them must take after your hated father.

I have a British friend who boast of their family name. He said the name have been in the family for 600 years. And I believe there must have been scoundrels and all sorts along the line in the family but none of them planned to changed that name anytime soon.

OP, I hope you don't plan to call him, Samuel Peter or Francis Emmanuel or Philip Paul?
Abeg we be Africans o.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by ImaIma1(f): 6:08pm On Jul 25, 2023
First step to complicating your child's life...

1. Make his surname different from yours.

When you face challenges later in life because of this, you will reminder the day you changed it and regret.

14 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by fineboynl(m): 7:47pm On Jul 25, 2023
Nothing wrong. Ur surname is not even ur father name. And if you investigate you will not even know where rhe name comes from.

I have met alot of people who surname are English especially in south south and south east. Example goodluck Jonathan.

12 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Hypnotise: 9:00pm On Jul 25, 2023
People rejoice when a boy is born because of the continuity of the lineage. A man should not change surname just like that because of history attached to it. You don’t like your father, fine be a better father to your children but the lineage should continue

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by frozen70(f): 9:50pm On Jul 25, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌

You have every right to name your child or children any of your three known names

It has no documental implications

It has no family implications

Its your choice to do so, so far your wife is consented to that

So go ahead and name your children surname to be any of your documented name

As a matter of fact, they can bear your two other names as a compound name, excluding your surname

Assuming you are Mr Kojo Peter efe

They can bear Peter Efe

They can bear Peter

They can bear Efe

It will be idle if your wife bears same with your children

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by extremelygolden: 11:12pm On Jul 25, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌

My brother woke up one day with a question. He asked us who will bear his father's name if all of us including his future children keep bearing our family surname, which was the name of our paternal grandfather. He was also a polygamist
Here and there, the young man made up his mind and changed his surname to our father's direct native name. Some siblings joined him in changing theirs as well, but I maintained the family surname because I know that as soon as I get married, I will change all.
Unless by facial resemblance, otherwise if you visit us and we decide to introduce ourselves by our full names, you might begin to wonder why we all are bearing different surnames. cheesy

So do what makes you comfortable. And if it requires change of name in the dailies, you can go ahead with a classified advert. But try to be discrete about it for the time being.

8 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by OKOATA(m): 11:54pm On Jul 25, 2023
Your story reminds me of me, infact I just changed my 6 year old daughters surname to mine. I firstly went to a Health center and paid 1k for it. Thereafter went to her school and changed her name on the school portal. Paid 5k for the change of name through the court issuing an avidavit. Since yours is still young you won't need all that stress. I had to do what I did cos my own dad was involved in my divorce and was even the one that hired a lawyer for mu ex all in the bid to take my daughter away from me. I know I can't change my surname cos of my BVN, passport and the likes but it's what it is.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by poshestmina(f): 1:55am On Jul 26, 2023
No implications whatsoever .

We don't know the meaning of our surname,no tangible meaning has being given till date .

All those NigerDelta "foreign" names,so my brothers are using my Dad's first name as their children's surname.

Just change it on all necessary documents and get a court affidavit.

Treat to forgive your dad ,so you kid(s) don't inherit unforgiving and bitter spirits from you.

7 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Lance008(m): 6:42am On Jul 26, 2023
Very possible
Am planning same
Am starting a new family
I can't bear my enemy name

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Lance008(m): 6:44am On Jul 26, 2023
OKOATA:
Your story reminds me of me, infact I just changed my 6 year old daughters surname to mine. I firstly went to a Health center and paid 1k for it. Thereafter went to her school and changed her name on the school portal. Paid 5k for the change of name through the court issuing an avidavit. Since yours is still young you won't need all that stress. I had to do what I did cos my own dad was involved in my divorce and was even the one that hired a lawyer for mu ex all in the bid to take my daughter away from me. I know I can't change my surname cos of my BVN, passport and the likes but it's what it is.
Old men of nowadays Dey on kolos🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by OKOATA(m): 7:52am On Jul 26, 2023
Lance008:

Old men of nowadays Dey on kolos🤣🤣🤣🤣
Not really, he feels he's evil. But what's waiting for him will be worse, he even sent my mom out of the house they built together cos he had the house documents and sold the house. He will learn soon.

6 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Lance008(m): 1:26pm On Jul 26, 2023
OKOATA:
Not really, he feels he's evil. But what's waiting for him will be worse, he even sent my mom out of the house they built together cos he had the house documents and sold the house. He will learn soon.
Make he learn to be honest
Their own don too much
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by MorataFC: 3:01pm On Jul 26, 2023
Wonder
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by slawomir: 3:01pm On Jul 26, 2023
Damnnn niggar
I understand
Your lineages is some how broke

If not you won't be saying this

No matter what we do not cut off our ancestors

Even that little boy from extraction 2 movie was still loyal to the family of his father ( the naggazi)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Dimaya: 3:01pm On Jul 26, 2023

1 Like

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by iCauseTrouble: 3:02pm On Jul 26, 2023
Yes. It is possible. You can use your first name as his new surname.
I know a lot of people that did this.

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by OboOlora(f): 3:02pm On Jul 26, 2023
Pray to be poor and dependent on your wife and her father, then you can adopt her surname and ur son can also.

Since you don’t want to have sense and shame

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Woman Sets Home On Fire Trying To Kill Spider With Lighter / Second Born Children Are More Rebellious And Prone To Criminal Act / Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.