Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,796 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? (19156 Views)

Husband Caught His Politician Wife In Bed With Their Adopted Son (Pictures) / Ghana: Family Reunites With 20-Year-Old Son Who Was Missing At Age 2 / 65-Year-Old Indonesian Grandmother Marries Her 24-Year-Old Adopted Son (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Jakama90(m): 9:22pm On Jun 06, 2022
The man should have taken care of this while still living. Should have written a will.
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Ndipe(m): 9:25pm On Jun 06, 2022
He is a member of the family irrespective of his position in the family but trying to misappropriate his father's properties because he is the first son and calling the cops on his brother is completely wrong. That man should be grateful that he was adopted into the family and then humbly converge with his siblings on how to share their father's property. Some nerve!

ihedioramma:
Not a member but the first son of the man .
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Bwilliam(m): 9:30pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:
The moment that man gets a brain reset beating that he was adopted, the better for him.

I can't stay in my father's house and an adopted son will be claiming first right to my father's properties.....tah, it is not possible!!! That is a sacrilege that any igbo man won't agree on angry imagine the audacity angry

Modified.

For those saying his adoption was done legally blah blah blah.......do you think he stands a chance if the community pursue him? Legally or illegally he will collect wotowoto....and nobody, I repeat NOBODY will fight for him.......all he has and all he is, is because he was adopted and he should be grateful and not shit on the altar!!!

EOD angry

Don't drag all igbo men into your personal bias and conviction, you don't speak for us.
I as an igbo man believe that a legally adopted child who is recognised by his father as his okpara/ his heir has full right as the first born, unless the father states otherwise in the presence of his Umunna in their family's Obi.

The only wrong thing that the adopted son did is to claim the properties without first sitting down with his brothers.
The fathers properties do not belong to the first son rather he is a caretaker/keeper and has the responsibility of sharing the property amongst himself and his brothers. Every son must get a share from their fathers property.

Any persons acting contrary is dividing the family by introducing unnecessary rubbish

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Clinghton: 9:30pm On Jun 06, 2022
When he was adopted he was seen as a son, so he deserves they rights of a first son.

The man should have written his will and given it to a lawyer to avoid this commotion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by osazsky(m): 9:33pm On Jun 06, 2022
GorillaApp:

What about a son born out of wedlock by a man and months later, his wife put to bed. In Igbo land who is the first child. The one whose mother's dowry was not paid or the son who was borne by the man's wife?
the one whose diary was not paid
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Bbbw: 9:33pm On Jun 06, 2022
None
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by alfarouq(m): 9:36pm On Jun 06, 2022
I don't know what is obtainable in other parts of Nigeria but where I come from where the majority are Muslims, the adopted can not lay claim to anything especially if the man didn't gift him any when he was alive. He only gets what the biological children agree to give him as a sign of good gesture. Yes, the real children are encouraged to bless him with something but he cannot lay claim on any.

As a diversion, I notice that the OP is False prophet. You that have been seeing a lot about others, how did you not see this coming and prepare accordingly.

1 Like

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by tiswell(m): 9:40pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:

He is not the man's biological child.

He is an orphan. Stop speaking from the side of your mouth....

Imagine some adopted ingrates dragging property with your children, what will b your reaction? Don't be a hypocrite, answer this question with your feminist mind angry
feminist mind fa grin
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by feedthenation(m): 9:40pm On Jun 06, 2022
---adopted son should have known his place in the pecking order---also the old man should have implemented a will---
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Kajaard: 9:49pm On Jun 06, 2022
Forexmerchant:
@cococandy and kobojunkie
You both deserved some chill drink of your favorite. At least some people still use their heads to think in this forum. Save for the guys greed, he has equal right as biological children. To all other people using their head, please continue. @think4yourself, guy, nor be sawdust dey your brain na. It's like saying if naturalize in another country you shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the amenities because you were not born there.
And the energy used in insulting kobojunkie was as if na you get the property. Maybe you don't even have tyre of keke napep. Iranu

For Cococandy - I always like her posts though she is a staunch feminist, I still respect her views even though sometimes when it pertains to the male gender we might differ.

As for Kobojunkie cheesy, well Kobo has her good days but some days her views are hard to like. Don't bring an argument to Kobo because you will never win it cheesy
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Jobabori(m): 9:58pm On Jun 06, 2022
There is a possibility that the adopted child mau not know that he was adopted until aftermath of locking the properties. The biological children may also not know. Only the elders in the family can know about his origin. He locked up the shops, which is unfair to others, as a first born which legally he is but culturally is not. Assuming that he took the path of peace and not greedy, the wind could not have blown to open the fowl yarsh.
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Jobabori(m): 10:00pm On Jun 06, 2022
There is a possibility that the adopted child May not know that he was adopted until aftermath of locking the properties. The biological children may also not know. Only the elders in the family can know about his origin. He locked up the shops, which is unfair to others, as a first born which legally he is but culturally is not. Assuming that he took the path of peace and not greedy, the wind could not have blown to open the fowl's yarsh.
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by olas24u(f): 10:02pm On Jun 06, 2022
He has a right to inheritance, but his actions were very bad. But he could win arguments in court.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by cybriz82(m): 10:03pm On Jun 06, 2022
Seriously since last year ur uncle is still in d mortuary
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by space9880: 10:10pm On Jun 06, 2022
FalseProphet1:
There's this mild drama currently going on in the family. My uncle died late last year (at an old age). The problem here is that they some delay in child birth, (7 years after their wedding to be prescise) so during this long wait, he and the wife decided to adopt a male child.

7 years after his adoption, children started popping in. They had a set of twins (males) and then 2 boys and a girl making it 5 biological children.

This my uncle was a wealthy man, so he had properties in the town of their state of origin and in the village.

Upon his death last year, the eldest son (the one who was adopted) sealed off the property in their village and claimed ownership of the 3 rental buildings in the town. This angered my uncle's brothers who were of the opinion that he's not family and therefore has no right to do such when the man's biological kids are very much around.

So they (the uncles) had a meeting with the biological sons of their late brother to get rid of what they termed an outcast in their midst.

They later invited the adopted young man to the village and used the community youths to beat him up and threatened to kill him if he doesn't stay away from their family properties. That he should look for his own biological parents and inherit whatever they left for him.

Now this didn't go down well, cos he used the police to lock up one of the twins and the whole family members are threatening fire and brimstone if the young man isn't released. They took the matter to the community elders who of course supported them by saying the adopted man has no right of forceful claim to any property unless it's given to him willingly by the family members.

As of now they have destroyed his wife's business in one of the buildings, burnt his car and have vowed to even kill him if he doesn't release their son.

That's why I brought it here. Was the adopted son wrong to have claimed ownership of his late father's properties without the official nod of the family members?

Do adopted children have right of inheritance in the family they find themselves?

What's your opinion on this matter.

Modified: I forgot to add that my uncle hasn't been buried because of this matter. His body is still in the mortuary cos there have to be an agreement from the family before burial takes place, and since the family is in chaos, the burial cannot hold for now.
the adopted son should leave the properties if not make e manage anything wey e see.

This I have seen
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Lilfire(m): 10:15pm On Jun 06, 2022
FalseProphet1:
There's this mild drama currently going on in the family. My uncle died late last year (at an old age). The problem here is that they some delay in child birth, (7 years after their wedding to be prescise) so during this long wait, he and the wife decided to adopt a male child.

7 years after his adoption, children started popping in. They had a set of twins (males) and then 2 boys and a girl making it 5 biological children.

This my uncle was a wealthy man, so he had properties in the town of their state of origin and in the village.

Upon his death last year, the eldest son (the one who was adopted) sealed off the property in their village and claimed ownership of the 3 rental buildings in the town. This angered my uncle's brothers who were of the opinion that he's not family and therefore has no right to do such when the man's biological kids are very much around.

So they (the uncles) had a meeting with the biological sons of their late brother to get rid of what they termed an outcast in their midst.

They later invited the adopted young man to the village and used the community youths to beat him up and threatened to kill him if he doesn't stay away from their family properties. That he should look for his own biological parents and inherit whatever they left for him.

Now this didn't go down well, cos he used the police to lock up one of the twins and the whole family members are threatening fire and brimstone if the young man isn't released. They took the matter to the community elders who of course supported them by saying the adopted man has no right of forceful claim to any property unless it's given to him willingly by the family members.

As of now they have destroyed his wife's business in one of the buildings, burnt his car and have vowed to even kill him if he doesn't release their son.

That's why I brought it here. Was the adopted son wrong to have claimed ownership of his late father's properties without the official nod of the family members?

Do adopted children have right of inheritance in the family they find themselves?

Modified: I forgot to add that my uncle hasn't been buried because of this matter. His body is still in the mortuary cos there have to be an agreement from the family before burial takes place, and since the family is in chaos, the burial cannot hold for now.
first of all I blame the pic man for not making a Will if he had a a will all this stuff will not be a problem, is the adopted son is greedy, why take the property for your self when you can share, with you brothers, he is blocking the chance of other kids who have be abandoned by People oh, If he is married let his wife talk some sense into him
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Luzebox(m): 10:16pm On Jun 06, 2022
Did he beg to to adopted? ...by right he is the firstborn...once you you adopt a child he or she is your child...same right as your biological child...like say if he become billionaire all the village uncles no go call am our son...if e don reach time to share money everybody go dey shine eye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Lilfire(m): 10:18pm On Jun 06, 2022
olas24u:
He has a right to inheritance, but his actions were very bad. But he could win arguments in court.
even in the court he will not be allowed to take everything for himself, it will be shared among the six of them

1 Like

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by olas24u(f): 10:27pm On Jun 06, 2022
Lilfire:
even in the court he will not be allowed to take everything for himself, it will be shared among the six of them

It will be shared, but he will also get something.but his actions are bad.

2 Likes

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by SamgoldBaba: 10:29pm On Jun 06, 2022
Nazgul:
The step son is really mad and deserves whatever is thrown at him from the family.

He had no right to lay claim on those properties even if he was the late man's biological son. There have to be a meeting to decide who gets what.

Wisdom is not far from you
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Peppysco: 10:34pm On Jun 06, 2022
It is so surprising that the False prophet1, Nairaland's greatest seer couldn't forsee the issues going on in his uncle's family before now.

1 Like

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 06, 2022
Nazgul:
The step son is really mad and deserves whatever is thrown at him from the family. If he isn't careful he would just die for nothing cos cases like this have high tendencies of becoming diabolical.

He had no right to lay claim on those properties even if he was the late man's biological son. There have to be a meeting to decide who gets what.

Even if he has right, he shouldn't have behaved like a bastard who he truly is.

When things like this happens why not be diplomatic in his approach? Although we just heard one side of the story
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Ebymyk(m): 10:47pm On Jun 06, 2022
That adopted son needs to be taught life lessons... It's foolishness to be dragging for what isn't yours..
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by harmony75: 10:49pm On Jun 06, 2022
All the children have equal rights to their father's property adopted or biological. The first son's error was claiming the 3properties since there's no will they get an administrator or even share their father's property equally peaceful. This is why I hate tradition so because he's the first son he wants to have everything. Anyone of the sons wound have done the same so that's first son's their mentality � you see tradition makes things worst. Then why should those elders saying he have no right do they know the law? The first son was a baby and they adopted him he did not force himself on that family so he's parents have failed him but as an adult he should get a good lawyer to deal with those stubborn people that destroyed his things and that of his wife. They're very foolish let him settle with his brothers, sister and share the property equally and peaceful. In law no one is bastard that's another case on it's own so they should stop calling him names he can sue them. And they will pay dearly for it.
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by NuclearReactor: 11:29pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:

Your type should be avoided at all cost

You stinks of one without proper educational background, one that thinks from his ass, one without any sense whatsoever.

You irritates oxygen!! You are a disgrace to yourself
What wrong or foolish opinion did he give to warrant your insults How people like you cannot intelligently counter the opinions of others but result to baseless insults marvel me undecided
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by BrightUgbala1: 11:32pm On Jun 06, 2022
I think he has same rights to the property as the real children do but he shouldn't have locked or sized the property.
Your uncle should have shared his property before death or even write a will.
If your place believe more on tradition, then he should have informed the elders and children of their property before death.
It is advised that once you start having property no matter how little it is, you should will it because you don't know....
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by BrightUgbala1: 11:37pm On Jun 06, 2022
He has same rights but shouldn't have fought for it.
And for them to be fighting for property it shows your uncle didn't keep his house clean in addressing misunderstanding before dieing.
For those making it look as if he didn't have any right to any property, why did they adop him if they wouldn't give him equal rights.
Was it the elders that adopted for your uncle and his wife.
And I believe they promised the law court to treat him as their child.
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by NuclearReactor: 11:38pm On Jun 06, 2022
UpInTheSky:
The adopted son IS the first son.

Your Uncle's brothers and biological son's opinions that he's not family and is an outcast is quite pathetic. Shame on them.
Nigerians should understand that when you adopt a child, he or she becomes your child. Neither biology nor blood defines family.
That said, the adopted son himself is a greedy fool for "sealing off their and claiming ownership of the 3 rental buildings in the town".
His own actions speak volume about his own character and even if he weren't an adopted child he would've behaved in the same manner.

Hence, all of them are madd.

"All of them are mad" Herein lies the conclusion of the whole matter!! cheesygrin
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Mindlog: 11:39pm On Jun 06, 2022
osazsky:
the one whose diary was not paid

Don't forget that there are Igbo communities where the family of the lady who gives birth to a child out of wedlock, lays absolute claim to the child, so when such a married man fathers a child with such lady....he can't claim custody nor give the child his name.
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by jaxxy(m): 12:07am On Jun 07, 2022
FalseProphet1:

Nobody has right to behave like that talkless of a adopted son. The truth is an adopted son can only get what bt he father or family chooses to give him. He cannot demand anything by force like a biological child even though a biological child shouldn't behave like that.

The rights of a biological son is quite complex and different depending on culture and will. His approval is based on different standards since he is not blood or biological. He must be respectable, fair and trustworthy or he can easily be disregarded as a bastard or impostor.
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by jaxxy(m): 12:13am On Jun 07, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. But isn't he right that by law he has the same inheritance rights as biological children? undecided

2. It is unfortunate that this all could have been avoided if you uncle had simply opted for the common sense approach which was to have a Will stipulating who got what. undecided

The truth here is the law generally gives him right to an inheritance bt that inheritance is not specified. However some cultures have specified inheritance for 1st sons bt I'm not sure such cultures recognises an adopted son over a biological son unless by mutual understanding.
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Kobojunkie: 12:28am On Jun 07, 2022
jaxxy:
The truth here is the law generally gives him right to an inheritance bt that inheritance is not specified. However some cultures have specified inheritance for 1st sons bt I'm not sure such cultures recognises an adopted son over a biological son unless by mutual understanding.
The mistake was the dead man's. All he labored up went up in smoke simply because he refused to write a will. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Excess Money: Moment MC Asked Groom To Spray His Bride 500k At A Wedding Party / Can She Assumed A Wife Responsibility When Engaged? / Secrets You Should Never Tell Your Partner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.