Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! (1468 Views)

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Is The Only Brain In GEJ Crew - Mallam Nasir El-rufai / Sanusi Is Now Dan Majen Kano (Traditional Title) / Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Is Wrong, This Is The Reason For Boko Haram Not Derivation! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 19, 2011
Folks!

The problem is not with the principles of Islamic banking, it is rather with the under tone of islamising Nigeria.

According to Sanusi, you must be "Sharia Compliant" to operate Islamic Bank or to benefit from it.

It is not every Nigerian who will benefit. People will be adviced by the banks to change religion in order to relate with them. This is why CAN is agitating.

Soludo gave guidelines for NIB => Non Interest Banking. There are different types of NIB of which Islamic Banking is one of them. The problem now is this: Instead of promoting Non Interest Banking in general, the CBN which is an umpire is promoting only one type.
The question then is; why would Sanusi promote only Islamic Banking and not the other types?

If there is no evil agenda, why would the guidelines include "Sharia compliant". Is CBN a Centre for Sharia implementation?
Sanusi is obsessed and I pray that the courts stops him. In our constitution, it is stated clearly that a bank shall not take the name, "Federal, Christian, Islamic, Moslem, etc".

Sanusi is breaking the law. If he loves Nigeria so much, all he needs to do is to develop the blue prints for Non Interest banking, Islamic banks can come under that, but to downplay NIB and promote Islamic banking is playing the devils advocate.

This is like NCC promoting MTN instead of promoting GSM. I hope this makes it clear enough.
We must rise up and resit this religous bigot who sees himself as the vision carrier of the Usman Dan Fodio Dynasty.
He that have ears, let him hear!.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by texazzpete(m): 5:49pm On Jul 19, 2011
You're the bigot, my friend. Read HSBC's Islamic Banking page. See where it mentions 'Islamic guidelines' and 'Shariah advisory board'?

Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by texazzpete(m): 5:56pm On Jul 19, 2011
Also from the site

http://www.hsbcamanah.com/amanah/about-amanah/islamic-banking/industry.html

A young and growing industry
The Islamic banking industry today stands at[b] several hundred billion dollars [/b](estimates vary), and consists of more than 300 financial institutions in and outside the Muslim world. It is the product of the collective effort of bankers, economists, and Islamic legal scholars over the past several decades to develop financial solutions that meet the religious requirements of Muslims.

It is a young industry and a growing industry, and continues to evolve and expand both financially and geographically. It is indigenous and community-focused: i[b]t caters to devout Muslims in indigenous Muslim societies as well as in Muslim minorities of non-Muslim countries.[/b] Furthermore, it is an inclusive paradigm: non-Muslim individuals and communities that seek ethical financial solutions have also been attracted to Islamic banking.

The birth of modern Islamic banking
The first modern Islamic financial institutions emerged in the 1960s and 1970s. Since then, Islamic banking has spread to a large number of Muslim countries, including the GCC and the Arab world at large, South and Southeast Asia, and even Muslim communities in the West. Bahrain is considered a hub for Islamic banking, with significant activity also taking place in Kuala Lumpur and London amongst others. Islamic financial institutions have taken the form of commercial banks, investment banks, investment and finance companies, insurance (takaful) companies, and financial service companies. They follow different banking models: private institutions in a conventional economy (as in the GCC and the West), attempts at national Islamic banking systems (as in Sudan and Pakistan), and dual banking models (as in Malaysia and the UAE). They also take different forms: wholly Islamic institutions, Islamic subsidiaries of conventional banking groups, and Islamic banking windows within conventional banks.

Islamic banking today
This is an industry that is still evolving, developing and growing. It has gone from commercial banking to syndicated transactions and equities, and more recently, into debt issuance and structured products. Its sophistication and product offering have developed along with this change. At an earlier stage, industry growth was in part a reflection of economic growth in the Islamic world, fuelled primarily by oil wealth. This created a growing middle-wealth segment and hence made banking a necessary service to the larger segment of the population. In the past several years, increased awareness about Islamic banking has led to conversion from conventional banking and continued high growth (15-20% in key markets).

So basically, Islamic Banking as it stands will also cater to non-muslims even though it's geared towards meeting the ethical requirements of muslims.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 19, 2011
texazzpete:

You're the bigot, my friend. Read HSBC's Islamic Banking page. See where it mentions 'Islamic guidelines' and 'Shariah advisory board'?

Beloved, the summary of my post is this:

The interest of the CBN should be Non Interest banking in general and not just Islamic Banking. The current drive of the CBN (Sanusi) in promoting Islamic banking is like where NCC will be promoting MTN and not GSM.

See the article and please see the paragraph with the heading "Non-Islamic interest free model"

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/features/24733-furore-over-islamic-banking-in-nigeria

Am sorry if I stepped on your toes, but the truth is this: Sanusi is breaking the law. I wish you well.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by texazzpete(m): 6:02pm On Jul 19, 2011
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 19, 2011
texazzpete:

Stories depicting non-muslims in Britain patronizing islamic banking

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1601140/I-chose-an-Islamic-bank.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6168800.stm

Perhaps, you need to read my post again to understand me. I don't have anything against islamic Banking. All I am saying is that the CBN should promote NIB of which Islamic banking can come up. but promoting Islamic banking and not NIB is like NCC promoting MTN and not GSM.
If you dont understand this, I am sorry I can't help more than this. Cheers
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by texazzpete(m): 6:12pm On Jul 19, 2011
noblezone:

Perhaps, you need to read my post again to understand me. I don't have anything against islamic Banking. All I am saying is that the CBN should promote NIB of which Islamic banking can come up. but promoting Islamic banking and not NIB is like NCC promoting MTN and not GSM.
If you dont understand this, I am sorry I can't help more than this. Cheers

And I ask you, what is the best known and most prominent non-interest banking model?
What non-interest banking model is likely to have a short term benefit to the relatively large population of Nigerian muslims?

I'm interested in your answers, please.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by Ibime(m): 6:34pm On Jul 19, 2011
Nigerians!

Nuff said!
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by BP(m): 6:59pm On Jul 19, 2011
Texazzpete, please see my comments below as honest feedback from someone who respects your intelligence.

I respect your ability to take contrarian views a great deal. However, I often see a lot of aggression, written violence and sometimes outright insults in your posts. You do not have to be this aggressive to make your fine points known.

Even if others are insulting, you shouldn't join them.

Also, I notice that you make very definitive and final statements without considering the fact that you could actually be wrong.

On this Islamic Banking issue, I have said elsewhere that there is nothing wrong with it except for the fact that there is already serious mistrust among Nigerians based on religion and ethnicity.  I still believe that if someone like Fola Adeola (a Muslim) was CBN governor, he would have maturedly introduced Islamic Banking without any of the drama Sanusi is bringing to this subject.

Your position on HSBC is not totally correct. HSBC is a bank and not a regulator. If it willingly subjects itself to Shariah scrutiny, it does so on its own. It will be different if you show me this same information on say the bank of England's website.

I'm not even against a Sharia council providing advice and some sort of regulation for the Islamic Banking sub-sector of Non-Interest banking. But what I am saying is that this HSBC example you gave is not a proper case of comparing like with like.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by namfav(m): 7:40pm On Jul 19, 2011
the banking will go ahead with or without your consent, its funny that all ofa sudden everyone on nairaland has become a expert on halal banking, even the narrow of the narrow are giving their cents on something that should not and does not concern them as it is not even forced on them
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by NegroNtns(m): 8:21pm On Jul 19, 2011
I wonder if the proposal will get this much pushback if it was introduced by a white christian in tie and suit?

What people ought to fear and question are mega pastors who in the name of Jesus are taking from you but not giving back.

Islamic banking gives back what you give + more based on your equity in the sharing.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by nateevs(m): 8:39pm On Jul 19, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

I wonder if the proposal will get this much pushback if it was introduced by a white christian in tie and suit?

What people ought to fear and question are mega pastors who in the name of Jesus are taking from you but not giving back.

Islamic banking gives back what you give + more based on your equity in the sharing.

I cannot understand the basis of comparison. Mega pastors and Islamic banking.
What has one got on the other?
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by nateevs(m): 8:39pm On Jul 19, 2011
BP:

Your position on HSBC is not totally correct. HSBC is a bank and not a regulator. If it willingly subjects itself to Shariah scrutiny, it does so on its own. It will be different if you show me this same information on say the bank of England's website.

I'm not even against a Sharia council providing advice and some sort of regulation for the Islamic Banking sub-sector of Non-Interest banking. But what I am saying is that this HSBC example you gave is not a proper case of comparing like with like.

Brilliant point.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by NegroNtns(m): 8:54pm On Jul 19, 2011
That's addressed to the fear people have about an imposition of religion on them.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by texazzpete(m): 9:26pm On Jul 19, 2011
BP:

Texazzpete, please see my comments below as honest feedback from someone who respects your intelligence.

I respect your ability to take contrarian views a great deal. However, I often see a lot of aggression, written violence and sometimes outright insults in your posts. You do not have to be this aggressive to make your fine points known.

Even if others are insulting, you shouldn't join them.

Also, I notice that you make very definitive and final statements without considering the fact that you could actually be wrong.

I think i'm often driven to harsh replies by the sheer folly of things I see on nairaland. You may catch me making mistakes, I may be wrong or something like that but i pretty much pride myself on reasonably logical replies reflecting my educational background and all the learning experiences a man my age should have. I have little tolerance for brainless posts.
My brother, when you see people on Nairaland say that an American weapon fired at the ionosphere is capable of moving Tectonic plates under Haiti, what do you say to them?
I appreciate your feedback, though. Thanks.

BP:

On this Islamic Banking issue, I have said elsewhere that there is nothing wrong with it except for the fact that there is already serious mistrust among Nigerians based on religion and ethnicity.  I still believe that if someone like Fola Adeola (a Muslim) was CBN governor, he would have maturedly introduced Islamic Banking without any of the drama Sanusi is bringing to this subject.

Can you explain how Sanusi has introduced this with 'drama'? As far as I know, the 'drama' has been mainly from the strident opposition to Islamic Banking from the likes of CAN, which has only served to whip up opposition and fan the flames of paranoia in many southern christians. Take a look at Nairaland; even with zero proof, the general opinion of Sanusi now tends towards the man being an 'islamist', 'sharia man', 'boko haram' and possessing an 'agenda'.

CAN members like Oritsejafor are the ones who are often quoted in the news accusing Sanusi of harbouring an 'agenda'. Isn't that where the 'drama' comes from?

Now Sanusi is offering a forum for dialogue. Where is CAN and other concerned members of the public to pick up the gauntlet?

Some people accuse Sanusi of 'poor timing'. Are they serious? The Christian-muslim relationship will get no better than this. In fact, i expect it to worsen. Boko Haram is one factor, the recent interest of Al Qaeda in Nigeria is another. there will NOT be a better time anytime soon.

BP:

Please correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Sanusi merely revising and releasing new guidelines for Islamic banking in Nigeria and priming it for its implementation by interested Nigerian banks? The CBN will not be carrying out Islamic banking. Interested and qualified private agencies will. Stanbic IBTC just got a license for Islamic Banking in Nigeria. Is that not suitable for an apples-to-apples comparison with HSBC's situation?

Are you insinuating that there was/is no input from regulatory bodies in the UK before Islamic banking kicked off there?

In any case, my posting of the HSBC screenshots was to take on those people who castigated Sanusi for using the name 'Islamic banking' and who intolerantly assumed that Islamic banking = terrorist banking. I've also showed evidence of non-muslims being able to use Islamic banking in the united kingdom without being forced to convert to Islam (as many Nairalanders fear).

Islamic banking in Nigeria has no immediate and direct effect on my life here in Nigeria. But it can benefit many others, especially many muslims wary of conventional banks that charge usury. I will not join the knee-jerk hate-fest and condemn Sanusi for doing what he feels is best for many people and also for the Nigerian economy. I pin most of the drama and paranoia at the feet of the CAN and PFN members.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by texazzpete(m): 9:29pm On Jul 19, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

It's bigotry at work. When photos of their president kneeling before a popular man of God were splashed on all the covers of the National dailies, these people no remember say 'Nigeria is a secular state'.
If you publish a photo of Sanusi in prayer in the mosque kneeling towards Mecca, they will call him a Boko Haram member.

We're fast becoming a failed state.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by Richtalk: 9:48pm On Jul 19, 2011
texazzpete:

Is HSBC a central Bank? U Bigot.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by xterra2(m): 10:07pm On Jul 19, 2011
I agree with Texazzpete

IN Nigeria we have plenty islamic schools and christians schools,
No body is forcing you to send your child there
MUslims stay off christians schols and christians stay off muslims schools and the islamic schools are not closed, because of the fear of teaching the students bombs or sharia
JUst dont go to any islamic bank Shikenan

In the west, we have hundreds of islamic banks, with non christians using it like in the ink that texazzpete shared,
we have it in many countries
not an issue really

why is an issue ?
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by BIGERBOY1: 11:26pm On Jul 19, 2011
this is the most sane thread on this topic i have seen am really impressed, even though I dont oppose the islamic banking i have learned a lot from this thread,

But trust nairalanders wen they wake up 2morow morning u start seeing things like , ayatollah, bokoharanomics etc.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by BP(m): 8:06am On Jul 20, 2011
xterra2:

I agree with Texazzpete

IN Nigeria we have plenty islamic schools and christians schools, No body is forcing you to send your child there
why is an issue ?

Sir, your analogy is not totally correct. While I totally agree that nobody will force a Christian to bank with an Islamic bank, the school and bank analogy is not exactly the same.

For example, if a christian or Muslim school gets broke, we are sure that government will not bail it out with public funds. However, what happens if an Islamic bank is threatening to go under, will the CBN bail it out with public funds? These are questions that Sanusi has to answer.

xterra2:

In the west, we have hundreds of islamic banks, with non christians using it like in the ink that texazzpete shared,
we have it in many countries
not an issue really

why is an issue ?

Sir, Nigeria is not the West. We have different issues from the West. The West does not have a strong Chrsitian/Muslim population like Nigeria. The West does not have a history of mistrust that we have. This is why Sanusi should have been a lot more matured in handling this.

Let me very very clear on something. I see nothing wrong with Islamic Banking in Nigeria. But I see immaturity in how Sanusi has played this. His managerial skills are clearly poor.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by BP(m): 9:02am On Jul 20, 2011
Texazzpete, Let me try and respond the points you raised in your post.

Oritsejafor is President of CAN and by extension spokesman of Christians in Nigeria(whether he is doing this well is another issue). Sanusi however is not the spokesman of muslims in Nigeria. He's Nigeria's chief banking regulator and so he should speak in that capacity.

I see nothing wrong in Islamic Banking (either the concept or the name). I believe Nigerian Muslims have a right to bank in accordance with their conscience and religion so long as it does not infringe on rights of other citizens.

However, it is a fact that Nigeria is polarized. This knowledge is not new. I expect a skilful manager to make and communicate decisions taking into considerations the peculiarities of his operating environment. It's either Sanusi did not foresee the kind of heat this would generate or he did but decided it didn't matter. Either way, it show poor managerial skills.

Let me give you an example. If you are CEO of a company without Unions, you would make and communicate decisions affecting your employees in a very different way from if you were CEO of a company with strong unions. The same decision but different styles because of the operating environment.

You can imagine the kind of crisis you'd face as CEO, if the best response you can come up with when Union opposes a decision you took is "you have a right to go to court". Do they have a right to go to court? Yes. Is that the kind of attitude that will resolve the issue? No.

So what we have is Sanusi is about to kill a good idea because he is a poor manager.

Knowing that Nigeria is very polarized, is it possible for Sanusi to have given sonmeone else in CBN the role of "the face and voice of Islamic banking"?

Clearly, Sanusi is more interested in taking glory for being the Muslim who was able to bring Islamic banking to reality in Nigeria than in seeing the idea come to reality itself.

T
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by BP(m): 9:09am On Jul 20, 2011
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 20, 2011
texazzpete:

And I ask you, what is the best known and most prominent non-interest banking model?
What non-interest banking model is likely to have a short term benefit to the relatively large population of Nigerian muslims?

I'm interested in your answers, please.

I am a bit confused here texazzpete. is it my inability to express my self in English or your inability to understand simple and plain English.

Let me repeat, that I don't have anything agaisnt Islamic Banking. Islamic Banking is not even the subject of my initial post.
The subject of my initial post is that Sanusi ought to promote Non Interest Banking not Islamic Banking outrightly. And Islamic banking can conveniently come under it.
CBN is an umpire and should be seen as unbiased. Soludo's model was NIB and for Sanusi to come and promote Islamic Banking in place of NIB is both unprofessional and unethical.

Like I said, I dont' know how you will feel if the Chairman of the NCC will start promoting MTN and not GSM. As an umpire, they are to promote GSM and MTN can come up, and in this case, CBN should promote NIB and Islamic banking can come up.

Follow me, do you know that a Sharia Counsel will be inaugurated by the CBN? Will Non Moslems be members of that council? Whatever we do, we must realise that Nigeria has this peculiar problem of ethinic/religious divide which to some extent is sandwished in the Nothern/Southern divide. Even the last election had these undertones.

Sanusi as a professional has goofed.  Whether you like it or not, he has consciously or unconsciously introduced religion at the CBN. It is a shame.

you are asking me, What non-interest banking model is likely to have a short term benefit to the relatively large population of Nigerian muslims?, and my answer is this, it is Islamic banking. Yet, all Sanusi (as the Governor of the CBN: or is it CBIA => Central Bank of Islamic Affairs) should have done was to promote NIB and Islamic Banking can come up top take care of the moslems. His passion to take care of the moslems is well understood but using his postion as the CBN governor to do that is an abuse of office.
He can impose Islamic banking instead of NIB but he must know that careless acts such as this do only widen the gap between "one" Nigeria. Nigeria is already on the brink and zealots like Sanusi are pushing her further.

I wish you well.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by texazzpete(m): 9:55am On Jul 20, 2011
noblezone:

I am a bit confused here texazzpete. is it my inability to express my self in English or your inability to understand simple and plain English.

Let me repeat, that I don't have anything agaisnt Islamic Banking. Islamic Banking is not even the subject of my initial post.
The subject of my initial post is that Sanusi ought to promote Non Interest Banking not Islamic Banking outrightly. And Islamic banking can conveniently come under it.
CBN is an umpire and should be seen as unbiased. Soludo's model was NIB and for Sanusi to come and promote Islamic Banking in place of NIB is both unprofessional and unethical.

Like I said, I dont' know how you will feel if the Chairman of the NCC will start promoting MTN and not GSM. As an umpire, they are to promote GSM and MTN can come up, and in this case, CBN should promote NIB and Islamic banking can come up.

Follow me, do you know that a Sharia Counsel will be inaugurated by the CBN? Will Non Moslems be members of that council? Whatever we do, we must realise that Nigeria has this peculiar problem of ethinic/religious divide which to some extent is sandwished in the Nothern/Southern divide. Even the last election had these undertones.

Sanusi as a professional has goofed.  Whether you like it or not, he has consciously or unconsciously introduced religion at the CBN. It is a shame.

you are asking me, What non-interest banking model is likely to have a short term benefit to the relatively large population of Nigerian muslims?, and my answer is this, it is Islamic banking. Yet, all Sanusi (as the Governor of the CBN: or is it CBIA => Central Bank of Islamic Affairs) should have done was to promote NIB and Islamic Banking can come up top take care of the moslems. His passion to take care of the moslems is well understood but using his postion as the CBN governor to do that is an abuse of office.
He can impose Islamic banking instead of NIB but he must know that careless acts such as this do only widen the gap between "one" Nigeria. Nigeria is already on the brink and zealots like Sanusi are pushing her further.

I wish you well.

There are explicit guidelines and regulations governing Islamic Banking. This cannot be covered under generic guidelines for the generic 'non-interest banking' term. As Islamic banking is the most prominent model of non-interest banking as well as the most applicable to Nigeria's teeming population of 'unbanked' muslims, explicit guidelines and regulations MUST be provided. This is not about Islamic Banking coming on top of NIB.

You speak with passion but with little hard evidence. There isn't much in Sanusi's past to reinforce the oft-repeated accusation of ethnic or religious agendas. You need to prove this first, what is your proof? You say his main aim to to put forward muslim dominance, where does your conviction stem from? We all know Sanusi has taken a moderate stance on Islamic matters many times in the past.

Your 'MTN' analogy is deeply flawed. Sanusi's main efforts as the CBN Governor has been to bring about extensive reforms in the existing conventional banks. Were it not for the strident and unreasonable opposition to his new drive to implement Islamic banking from the likes of CAN, this whole thing would have gone down without drama.

Once again, I ask you a few pertinent questions.

1. How does it impact YOUR life negatively if Islamic Banking kicks off as expected?
2. Would you say that Stanbic IBTC bank has been 'Islamized' now that they've acquired an Islamic banking license?
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 20, 2011
texazzpete:

There are explicit guidelines and regulations governing Islamic Banking. This cannot be covered under generic guidelines for the generic 'non-interest banking' term. As Islamic banking is the most prominent model of non-interest banking as well as the most applicable to Nigeria's teeming population of 'unbanked' muslims, explicit guidelines and regulations MUST be provided. This is not about Islamic Banking coming on top of NIB.

You speak with passion but with little hard evidence. There isn't much in Sanusi's past to reinforce the oft-repeated accusation of ethnic or religious agendas. You need to prove this first, what is your proof? You say his main aim to to put forward muslim dominance, where does your conviction stem from? We all know Sanusi has taken a moderate stance on Islamic matters many times in the past.

Your 'MTN' analogy is deeply flawed. Sanusi's main efforts as the CBN Governor has been to bring about extensive reforms in the existing conventional banks. Were it not for the strident and unreasonable opposition to his new drive to implement Islamic banking from the likes of CAN, this whole thing would have gone down without drama.

Once again, I ask you a few pertinent questions.

1. How does it impact YOUR life negatively if Islamic Banking kicks off as expected?
2. Would you say that Stanbic IBTC bank has been 'Islamized' now that they've acquired an Islamic banking license?

Nigeria is neither a Christian nor an Islamic republic. So the CBN should have general guidelines for NIB and the perculiar giudlines for Islamic Banking can be stated under a sub. If Nigeria is an Islamic republic (and who knows what the true agenda is: Boko Haram is enforcing it), then the CBN can explicitely make islamic banking her focus.

You have stated that Islamic banking is actually to meet the needs of the unbanked moslems adn I am saying that it is not the duty of the CBN. CBN should simply open the floor for NIB and Islamic Banks can come up.

You questions (1 and 2) simply shows that you are out of context with me. Yet let me answer you.
1. I am interested in NIB, but Islamic Banks will not attend to me because I am not Sharia compliant. It will affect me.
2. If Stanbic IBTC follows the guidelines, then I am afraid they'll not attend to me becuase I am not Sharia complaint.

Sanusi/CBN should give us NIB, under the NIB while Islamic banking can take care of the moslems, the other NIB models can take care of me and other non moslems. A situation where I will be descrimnated on bases of religion is nothing but a betrayal.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by texazzpete(m): 10:54am On Jul 20, 2011
BP:

Texazzpete, Let me try and respond the points you raised in your post.

Oritsejafor is President of CAN and by extension spokesman of Christians in Nigeria(whether he is doing this well is another issue). Sanusi however is not the spokesman of muslims in Nigeria. He's Nigeria's chief banking regulator and so he should speak in that capacity.

I see nothing wrong in Islamic Banking (either the concept or the name). I believe Nigerian Muslims have a right to bank in accordance with their conscience and religion so long as it does not infringe on rights of other citizens.

Excellent! So you now agree that CAN is being the drama queen here? You agree that the likes of Oritsejafor are the source of most of the paranoia sweeping the people of the South?

BP:

However, it is a fact that Nigeria is polarized. This knowledge is not new. I expect a skilful manager to make and communicate decisions taking into considerations the peculiarities of his operating environment. It's either Sanusi did not foresee the kind of heat this would generate or he did but decided it didn't matter. Either way, it show poor managerial skills.

I don't think it's poor managerial skills. Everyone can make a mistake. Sanusi's mistake is his naivety in failing to recognise the depths of bigotry, intolerance and lack of reason in leading elements of the CAN leadership as well as the re-invigoration of his foes in the corrupt banking old guard.
He isn't perfect and perhaps has a fondness for too much blunt speak, but this does not deserve the hate-fest he's facing at the moment.

BP:

You can imagine the kind of crisis you'd face as CEO, if the best response you can come up with when Union opposes a decision you took is "you have a right to go to court". Do they have a right to go to court? Yes. Is that the kind of attitude that will resolve the issue? No.

Ok, now that Sanusi has requested that CAN leadership meet with him to dialogue on the issue, where are they? Where's their response?

BP:

Knowing that Nigeria is very polarized, is it possible for Sanusi to have given sonmeone else in CBN the role of "the face and voice of Islamic banking"?

This 'polarization' will always arise as long as the so-called 'face and voice' is a Muslim.
Sanusi is the CBN Governor and as such he is the person being paid and being tasked with taking the lead role in charting the future of banking in Nigeria. Sanusi is being painted as an 'extremist' by many Christians because of his degree in Islamic studies. What other muslim would be acceptable to the baying mob? Perhaps one who has not committed the unpardonable sin of being a devout muslim?
Or are you suggesting some form of ethnic bias, where the job is given to a Christian to 'oversee' the launch of Islamic banking?

BP:

Clearly, Sanusi is more interested in taking glory for being the Muslim who was able to bring Islamic banking to reality in Nigeria than in seeing the idea come to reality itself.

This is not 'clear' at all. He's already the man who has received international awards/recognition for his decisive intervention in the banking industry. He's dealt with the likes of Akingbola, Ibru etc. He's the man who stood up to the corrupt Senate, earning him the 'man of the year' vote in several national daily polls. Where's the need for further glory seeking?

What we have now is people telling adherents of possibly Nigeria's largest religious group that the use of the word 'Islamic' must be minimized so as not to offend their sensibilities. That is the truly divisive issue.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by texazzpete(m): 11:05am On Jul 20, 2011
noblezone:

Nigeria is neither a Christian nor an Islamic republic. So the CBN should have general guidelines for NIB and the perculiar giudlines for Islamic Banking can be stated under a sub. If Nigeria is an Islamic republic (and who knows what the true agenda is: Boko Haram is enforcing it), then the CBN can explicitely make islamic banking her focus.

You have stated that Islamic banking is actually to meet the needs of the unbanked moslems adn I am saying that it is not the duty of the CBN. CBN should simply open the floor for NIB and Islamic Banks can come up.

There must be explicit guidelines for Islamic banking because it has specialized requirements. I doubt any of the existing banks in Nigeria see the benefits of pursuing any forms of NIB that is not Islamic Banking. That is the only model currently capable of adding value for them. Naturally, energies must be channeled to this model.

Here's an analogy. You think the same export guidelines and rules are used when exporting items to Canada and North Korea? Are both not 'export'? grin

noblezone:

You questions (1 and 2) simply shows that you are out of context with me. Yet let me answer you.
1. I am interested in NIB, but Islamic Banks will not attend to me because I am not Sharia compliant. It will affect me.
2. If Stanbic IBTC follows the guidelines, then I am afraid they'll not attend to me becuase I am not Sharia complaint.

Sanusi/CBN should give us NIB, under the NIB while Islamic banking can take care of the moslems, the other NIB models can take care of me and other non moslems. A situation where I will be descrimnated on bases of religion is nothing but a betrayal.

Islamic banking is Shariah compliant with respect to rejection of interest charging and usury, as well an abhorrence of gambling and a few other vices as an investment area. The customers themselves do not have to be Shariah compliant. I have no idea where this wicked falsehood comes from. See reports below of ordinary Christian britons increasingly patronizing Islamic banking

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1601140/I-chose-an-Islamic-bank.html

This is why the CAN people need to embrace dialogue instead of spreading the FUD that you need to convert to Islam and subject yourself to Sharia justice before taking advantage of Islamic finance.
Re: Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 20, 2011
texazzpete:

There must be explicit guidelines for Islamic banking because it has specialized requirements. I doubt any of the existing banks in Nigeria see the benefits of pursuing any forms of NIB that is not Islamic Banking. That is the only model currently capable of adding value for them. Naturally, energies must be channeled to this model.

Here's an analogy. You think the same export guidelines and rules are used when exporting items to Canada and North Korea? Are both not 'export'? grin

Islamic banking is Shariah compliant with respect to rejection of interest charging and usury, as well an abhorrence of gambling and a few other vices as an investment area. The customers themselves do not have to be Shariah compliant. I have no idea where this wicked falsehood comes from. See reports below of ordinary Christian britons increasingly patronizing Islamic banking

This is why the CAN people need to embrace dialogue instead of spreading the FUD that you need to convert to Islam and subject yourself to Sharia justice before taking advantage of Islamic finance.
This is not Briton, this is Nigeria and we are living under this fear of forceful Islamisation. Since the days of Usman Dan Fodio who led the the first bloody and devilsh quest until now, the violence metted on non Moslems leaves nothing to be desired of this religion. The current quest of the Boko haram, the recent years violence agaisnt no Moslems are enough for any non moslem to raise eyebrows whenever Islamic terms come sto the center stage.
We heard that Nigeria is a member of OIC, the question is how come? Is Nigeria an Islamic Republic?
You can't blame us for having doubts and eve at this moment, I still have my doubts about the intensions of Sanusi. his method is rather crude, a leader of his status should be nothing short of a gentle man.

Its not really as if I am going to commit suicdide when he starts his Islamic banking but time will reveal his true intentions.

(1) (Reply)

0sun Govt Enforces Law Dat Prohibits Morally Illicit Dressing!!! / Enugu State Governor’s Son Nnamdi Chime Set To Wed / Weird Similarities Between US Presidents Abraham Lincoln And John F. Kennedy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.